Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    There is a discussion devoted to vibration issues and you might check the engine and performance topic for the other problem.
  • celica8celica8 Member Posts: 42
    Make a CONVERTIBLE Lucerne!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    1. Make the steering wheel SMALLER. it's XX-L oversized! (like all GM steering wheels which is similar to a big truck's steering wheel!...).

2. Optitron Gauges? All Toyota & Honda models have them, even the small cars as Corolla and Civic... Why not a "luxury" brand as Buick?

3. Make the outside mirrors a little bigger. (like the last gen. Impala). lately, all GM vehicles get very small mirrors. Also make sure it's auto-dim.
  • wr_guywr_guy Member Posts: 13
    Besides going to RWD an a new platform...I'd like to see the following:

Upgrade headliner.
    Increase gas mileage on Northstar would be nice
    Reduced turning radius
    Less of a "hump" in the rear set to allow a 3rd passenger back there.

Other than these nitpicks my CXS is a fine car, very similar to the MB 420SEL I owned a few years back.
    The price was right with all the discounting going on.
    The ride power and the Northstar exhaust note are great.
    The Avalon and Azera look like toys next to it. The V8 does not need a 9 speed AT to put the power down. Smooth, quiet and fast....real old school....good old school

OTOH, I think this much car and motor need to be in a RWD chassis to fix the nose heavy handling and huge turning circle. I'd gladly buy a set of snows for winter driving to get RWD.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    I have not had either of those problems. Of the two, however, I'd be far more concerned about the first. If you have it in another time and the problem remains, check your state's lemon laws, because I would think that an electrical system that drains the battery at least once a week clearly affect the use, value, or safety of the car, which, at least in Pennsylvania, is the main criteria to look at to see if it falls under the lemon law.
  • buicks5buicks5 Member Posts: 20
    What I want is by an owner of 4 MB's (great til break and now outrageously expensive to repair- didn't used to be that way) and now an owner of 6 Buicks, currently a 2000 Park Avenue Ultra with special console, and a 1996 Roadmaster Wagon...I will probably go a Yukon XL to replace wagon, but the new Buick SUV (Enclave?) is looking interesting, esp. if had the std. 8' bed all my Buick wagons had.

What want:
    1) Bring back the nice big clock that I had in my '77 Electra- no glasses needed,
    2) Bring back a dedicated clock...drives me crazy that when I change radio settings, the clock goes away,
    3) Bring back the opera/flood lamps just under the lip of the dash, that I had on my '77 Electra,
    4) Bring back the trunk opener next to the door that I now have on my Park Avenue- very convenient...blew me away that GM went back to the button in the glove box, plus it looked sooo retro...(cheap),
    5) Haven't driven a Lucerne yet, but hope the transmission is mated to the engine far, far better than it is in my 2000 PA. P.s., my 1996 Roadmaster engine is perfectly mated to the transmission- pulls like a train (so why 4 years later is the Park Avenue so poorly interfaced???).
    6) Shocks!!! Please GM, put some decent shocks on your cars- Bilsteins would be good...of all models, the GMC Yukons run Bilsteins...my 2000 Park Avenue would be a fabulous car, not just great, if it had world class shocks.
    7) Telescoping steering wheel, like I had on my 1990 Buick Wagon (tilt and telescope). The wheel is too far away from me during long trips. The latest Honda Accord has a great, but simple, (elegant?) tilt/telescoping wheel.
    8) Over the shoulder flood/reading lights like I had in my '77 Electra. They could be used without interfering with the driver!
    9) Heated seats in the rear...how hard can that be??
    10) Autodimming headlights...my 1957 Caddy (I bought when it was old and I was young, but I loved it for 25 years) had that and it was nice...again, how hard can that be?

11) Keep the Heads-up display...I have it, its great.
    12) Publish every little torque spec for Buicks on a web site...shouldn't be a secret.
  • buicks5buicks5 Member Posts: 20
    How fascinating...I too do not like the "skinny" seats in the Lucerne. My Park Avenue seats are just right. Mercedes used to point out that wide seats are needed on long trips, due to the need for the driver to reposition once in awhile.

Let me note that the best seats in any car I have ever driven, including my Mercedes, all Buicks, and some other cars was: The 1988-89 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo!!! They were both beautiful, supportive, sporty and yet very comfortable. This was especially important, because they had a ride like a coal cart...terrible over tar strips and joints in the road- just about knocked your teeth loose. Without those seats, the ride would have been unbearable. GM had to re-do the various suspensions mountings because of so many reports of the bad ride...not so much stiff, as every little bump came directly through.

So get out the design of that seat from the '88-'89 Trofeo and Make It Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the above post:
    ------------------
    4. Widen the front seats.
    I am more comfortable in the smaller
    Buick Lacrosse seats as they measure 20 inches wide at the front of the seat and 20 inches at the rear of the seat.
    My Lucerne is 20" in front but tapers down to 18" at the rear.
    I chose a Full Size Car for it's ride and large interior volume,and paid more money for it.

The seats found in First Class Air provide extra room and are more comfortable than just those in "Coach"with adequate room.

Now please don't respond to say the seats are just perfect for you because some did agree with this issue in the Lucerne Interior Messages,and I am sure not one person would refuse first class seats if somehow they could be found in the entire plane!
    ---------------------------------
  • gsabensgsabens Member Posts: 10
    I had that rundown problem with my 2000 LeSabre, checked everything we could think of with no change. It never happened again after I had to replace the battery.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for your reply concerning the inadequate seat width in the "Full-size" Lucerne.

GM: PLEASE, READ AND REPLY.

WE would rather have more room in the seat, than
    big map-pockets and an over sized arm rest.

If you can do it in Lacrosse, why not do it even BETTER in Lucerne?

We CHOOSE to buy your Full-size Buick, Please CHOOSE to listen:

This full size car SHOULD have COMFORT rated as,PRIORITY ONE !!!
  • buickboy92buickboy92 Member Posts: 19
    i really like the car hot as hell!!!! :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    My 95 Riviera, with the console, had very nice seats for comfort. Not much support to keep you from sliding around, but not really needed either. My 98 Aurora had tighter fitting bucket seats which would hold one in place better. Those seats were comfortable, but perhaps just less so than the Riviera's. My 2002 Seville has nice seats too, somewhat more spacious than the Aurora's while still providing side bolsters to prevent one from sliding in hard turns, not that the SLS is a sports sedan.
  • gregmangregman Member Posts: 24
    Not seeing a "contact us" anywhere, has anybody besides myself had pages come up with none or maybe 1 message? Am I doing something wrong here? Thank you in advance.
  • dubc100dubc100 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,let me start by saying I have owned a 76 electra and a 78 electra,also a 96 rivi and loved those cars,but I didn't see my 96 rivi as a "LUXURY CAR" as buick claims,nor do I see a Lucerne as a true "LUXURY CAR" niether.Luxury is a no compromise for money word,but the buick is full of compromises.First off,why cant a Buick be at the level of a Jaguar,Lexus,Acura ect.ect.H.I.D headlights should be standard,no real luxury car has fake wood,the radio should not be shared from brand to brand,styling should be more american and dramatic,with alot more road presence.Buicks should not even be in the same sentence with a Toyota,Hyundai,Nissan,VW,or anything else your average joe can afford.Lucerne should compete with a Lexus LS430 not a Avalon.The Lucerne should have been built on the Cadillac STS platform and softened a taste for a buick customer,and have solid styling and handling.I guess what I am saying is a Toyota Avalon is not a "LUXURY CAR",a Lexus LS430 is,so why not make the Lexus the sedan to benchmark,not a Toyota,a Toyata is meant to compete with a Chevy,Ford,Mercury,Nissan,VW,Mitsu ect.ect.and "NONE"of these are "LUXURY CAR" makers,they are "ECONOMY CAR" makers.
  • dubc100dubc100 Member Posts: 2
    Buick at one time was a very prestigous make,all the way into the late seventies and early eighties.Cadillac was actually the standard of the world,and the Buick division could have in some ways been better than a Cadillac.The Electra 225 meant that you were sucessful if you were seen driving one,it had road presence,classy understated style,plenty of power,room to stretch,and coupe and convertible versions to boot.Buick's main competition was from Cadillac,Lincoln,Oldsmobile,and Chrysler.The foriengers hadnt taken over in the states yet so Buick could have been considered 1 or 2 for "LUXURY CAR" makers in the states.Somehow Buick has lost its place.The only way you can get a fullsize coupe nowadays is to pony up big,big,big money on a Mercedes Cl500.If Buick had not lost its focus my 96 Rivera would have been engineered to be the perfect match,not just something kinda nice for the money.If Buick is going too survive they should move the cars way upscale,expect lower sales,and try something that VW knew they couldn't possibly pull off but Buick should be able to considering it's reputation in the past of great luxury cars and that is build a no compromises vehicle just as VW did with the Phaeton and call it an Electra 225.I would pay $70,000 for a vehicle like this.You may say that is kinda high for a "BUICK",but if Buick had never lost its desire and focus,thats what a Buick Electra 225 would cost nowadays if it matched a Mercedes S500,Lexus LS430,Infiniti Q45,Audi A8,BMW 750 and Jaguar XJ8.I want my future Buick to be able to make me want to have one,and make me feel as if I reached a goal in life just to own it,in the same way a Mercedes S-class does for it's owners today.Hell they used to,whats wrong with trying to take back the crown.Funny how it is that I am only 33 and Buick is my favorite car company,they just are not where they should be nor are they setting the bar high enough to be called a "BUICK".
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    Make the cup holders deep enough to actually hold something when cornering. Currenlty, they are too shallow to actually do their intended purpose.

Get rid of the cheap coin holders and put the real ones back in. The slots are more cumbersome to use and don't hold as many coins as they are designed to hold because the coins (at least the dimes) come out about 2/3's of the way up the slot.

And don't have the odometer in with the information center. You should be able to see the mileage on the car and some other bit of information, whether it be the average fuel ecomony or the fuel range, rather than to have to flip through the info center.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    It isn't just you. I'm seeing the same thing.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Just got a reply from board administrators. A number of messages from this board were moved to more appropriate boards. It explains the gaps in message numbers. Thanks Karen & Pat for explaining this.
  • gregmangregman Member Posts: 24
    Thanks tsu670. Boy, they've sure moved a lot of messages!
    Drove an '07 Lucerne CX this week. Rental car since wife's car was hit.
    Car was very nice. Quiet ride except for the Bridgestone tires. (Suggest Michelin). Seats (bucket) were cloth and comfortable. I can see where a large person might want more room at the base of the seat, but I like them.
    Other than the tires, only complaint is the throttle and the throttle. Extremely sensitive to me (drive by wire?), as I had trouble holding steady speed. It was always in accel/decel mode. Also and annoying amount of vibration transmitted through the accelerator pedal. Even on the smoothest of roads, acceleration caused vibration. Never had this on my '95 Bonneville.
    3.8 liter is adequate, although it sounds like it's breathing through a snorkel, sure to get29 or 30 on highway and last for 200,000 miles. I want one!
  • jcobb1jcobb1 Member Posts: 1
    First, what's up with the side mirrors? They are slightly smaller than my Impala was, or maybe the car is slightly longer. In any case, no matter how I set them, I have a blind spot. :P I fully predict I will end up in an accident before my lease expires in 3 years and will ruin my 20+ years good driving record. :mad: PLEASE MAKE THE SIDE MIRRORS A BIT LARGER.

Second, Guess I am old...I can not read the odometer, tachometer, etc during daytime hours if I have sunglasses on. :shades: (It is still difficult without them.) Something needs to be done to correct this serious flaw.
  • cbar34cbar34 Member Posts: 9
    The Lucerne needs to have a 6 speed auto tranny to be competitive with similar cars in its class. Maybe in the 2008 model!? Come on Buick, it's long overdue.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    6) I also like the 3.9 liter (I test drove the Impala LTZ) in the Lucerne. However, I also think the 5.3 liter V-8 (I test drove the Impala SS) should be offered in the CXS model. It has more low-end torque than the 4.6 Northstar, and also has active fuel management (aka DOD).
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Good God that is HUGE Mate. That would be like passing a Choo Choo Train here in the STATES mate. :P

Rocky
  • buicklover1buicklover1 Member Posts: 5
    Yup, the side profile is impressive but I don't care for the front and the rear.

Actually it has a really good feel to the stalk. However the stalks on my 93 and 98 H-body worked really great and NEVER broke.

>The 3.8 was also in that '85 and think it's time for a change.

You haven't kept up. The 3.8 has little resembled to the engineering of the 3800. Even the 3800 has three evolutions, improving efficiency and reliability. If you don't like ancient mechanics, whatever you mean by the term, you don't want wheels, automatic transmissions, internal combusion motors. They're all "ancient." grin.

If you mean you want OHV or 8-speed automatics, I'll take my 33 mpg LeSabre on interstate with 3 adults and luggage and the 150,000 mile motors and transmissions I now have in my LeSabres. I don't like being Beta tester for "new" technology. If my 4-speed 65E goes, I can replace it for 1/5 of what those 6-speeds would cost, using a factory rebuilt not a junkyard pull!!!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    I think the front of the Lucerne is nice, the profile is impressive (I think it's every bit as stately as the largest and most expensive BMW, Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus), the rear is OK but I think whatever gets you the horizontal molding along the bottom of the trunklid is a "must"! I also like to see four "ventiports" on the side instead of three! But overall, I think it's the most handsome domestic sedan being built right now, regardless of price. (My second and third choices would be the Impala LTZ/SS and Chrysler 300).

Bill
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    I think the styling on the Lucerne is the best that GM in America has yet to offer. Personally, I don't care much for the new Caddy design. My only complaint is the materials used in the interior. But then again, they're much better than most US built cars. Now if any dealer would sell me a brand new CXS model for $30,000 out the door...
  • amkdevileamkdevile Member Posts: 19
    You get four "portholes" with the V8. Just like the 1950's. Special & Century had 3.
    Super & Roadmaster had 4. Started in 48 or 49 with Roadmaster having 4. Top of line.
    So Where will this RWD sedan put Buick ? Will it be a poor mans Lexus LS 460 ? Will it be build off of the Buick Royaum ? Or could it be built off of the Holden Statesman ?

One thing for sure is it will make a splash in the Large Luxury Car Market !!!!

Rocky
    Why isn't this showing up in the 2011' Future Vehicles forum ? Did I make a mistake also with this one ?

Thanks,

Rocky
  • mwhitworthmwhitworth Member Posts: 14
    I had a Lesabre "T-type" when I was 18.. Nobody even new what it was..It was such a sharp car.. It was an 88 model and I happen to see one the other day. Of course it was old and beat up but was still an eye catcher.. Wish they would bring something like that back. It was luxiourious and sporty for a Buick.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    I don't understand your question. We don't have a "by-year" feature. It is showing up under Buick Lucerne, and on the Future Vehicles board list.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It's working fine Kirstie. I plug in the search window 2007, then 2008, then 2009, then 2010, then 2011. Each one of those years I type under the "Search Forums" space I can find anything with those years in the title. ;)

Well back to the 2011' RWD Buick Lucerne ;)

Rocky
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    My understanding is that the program has not been officially approved, but will use the Zeta platform along with the Impala, Camaro, and DTS replacement. GM has no FWD platforms planned larger than Epsilon II, so it is almost certain that the next generation Lucerne will be RWD. Although it will use the same platform as the Statesman, the Lucerne certainly will not look anything like it.
  • sarge12sarge12 Member Posts: 3
    Spent months with dealer trying to correct pull to right and wandering problems. Dealer changed tires to Michelin and aligned 3 times. Carried Lucerne to another dealer for realignment. After their alignment the car performed excellent. They told me this was the 4th Lucerne they had corrected with the exact problem. If anyone needs further details,I will be glad to post.
    Sarge 29646
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    One thing's for sure- It won't be called Lucerne-I think. This is what Buick needs. But then cadillac needs to step it up. A Buick version of the holden Caaprice would be WAY above played out DTS.
    Can we get a picture of this Statesman on this forum. Does it look anything like the Holden Caprice?
    ehaase,

Well the other rumor is pal the Buick Royaum could be built here. I've read on some GM blogs people say they think the Holden Statesman will be the Bonneville replacement as a G10 model. We will see soon as I'll keep y'all posted. ;)

Rocky
    I heard it will continue to be called Lucerne. However I believe it was Motor Trend that said the Velite name could be used as they would make a hard top convertible and sedan and that was Lutz plan for 08'.

Rocky
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/holden/holden-wm-statesman-ar13092.html

I don't know how to post pics but this link might help.

Rocky
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    You're reading bad rumors. After following about 6 other message boards besides this one for over 10 years, I have a good feeling who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. The Buick Royaum and Holden Statesman will not be built here. The information I posted is accurate.
    Holden Statesman will not be built here
    Maybe not in exact form, but that is the Pontiac G8!
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    If you're saying that the link in post #10 is the G8, you are not correct. The Holden Commodore is the model that will become our G8 here in the States.

-Brian
    Hey are basiccally the same. The Statesman/ caprice whatever just has a lengthened wheelbase. Great looking car! They should bring to states as is.
    Well if they don't bring it here to build it would be a waste of a damn fine car. The Statesman would make a damn fine Bonneville/G10 and the Royaum would make a damn fine Buick Lucerne with a fine interior to go up against Lexus. ;)

http://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2005-royaum/1600x1200/wallpaper_03.htm

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=104224

http://www.babez.de/buick/royaum/pic04.jpg?PHPSESSID=c0d3ea11ed4c06f5629d0d7d93d- - - 78b2e

Great Interior Pics:

http://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2005-royaum/1600x1200/wallpaper_0b.htm

Click Next to see more.

The top model has a control system like the Lexus LS 460, well that's what I saw in a pic shown here on automotive news & views. ;)

Rocky
  • holdenguyholdenguy Member Posts: 145
    Ok,
    The Royaum is the old Statesman.
    Thats the car that Lutz blew his shorts over and was responsible for getting the GTO project off the ground.
    The China boys will be getting the new WM Statesman.
    There are two models here, Statesman and Caprice.
    One of them, I forget which one offhand is a sportier version. Body kit etc:
    The G8 is based on the Holden Commodore SS, which is a bloody good car.
    The Staties have a longer wheelbase.
    Saw one yesterday with 20"s on it, nice :)
    Guys who don't know much about any of these cars, go check out the website, www.holden.com.au

ps, Had a look at those WM Statie pics Rocky.
    If you click on the Caprice link you can see that the Caprice is the more sportier looking one.
    Guys, those pics don't really give a good indication of the shear size of the Statesman.
    I'll tell you now, It's bigger than a Chrysler 300c.
    You know, that gangster car looking thing, we have them here as well.
    Yup mate you cleared the air. The Staties are bloody nice. I also do like the Royaum and both would be nice cars for americans under the G10/Lucerne badges. ;)

-Love the Aussie/British language.

Rocky

P.S.

Here in the U.S. we have to watch out for deer. I would probably crash mate from shock watching a Kangaroo bounce across my road as it would be so bloody awkward. :P
    It's worse when the [non-permissible content removed] Roos bounce along the road.
    You never know which way they will hop!
    I once counted about 50 fresh killed Roos between Cairns and Townsville one night.
    The big Semi Trailers just mow them down.
    We have some massive trucks here,
    triple trailers.
    I'll post a vid of one.

That Royaum is no longer made, that was the old one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOp3u0KbaKo

You should try overtaking one of these monsters.
    They sit on the speed limit,110kmh.
    1st time I got behind one of these and moved over
    to pass it, I saw how long it was and nearly
    shat myself!
    Blessed to the God of acceleration :)
    Royaum is no longer made ????

Thats ashame as it was a nice automobile. :sick:

Rocky