Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hauling Golf Cart

mjmoensmjmoens Member Posts: 1
edited June 2016 in Toyota
Hi, I have a Club Car Precedent electric golf cart that I am wanting to haul in the bed of the truck. The cart weighs approximately 1000 lbs ... I used a friends ramps to drive the cart into the bed ... it fits ... the rear tires clear the tail gate. But, I've not yet driven it with the cart in the bed. Has anyone done this? Any advice? I am hauling it approximately 5 miles and didn't want to rent a trailer if I didn't need to.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Block the wheels, so it won't roll back and forth.

I'd look for some heavy duty straps, to go across the seating area and attach to the truck body on either side, so it can't bounce out of there, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Definitely rent or buy those locking straps so that the cart's weight doesn't shift during the trip. Rope is not a good solution.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2016
    Ah, the old rafter/canoer argument. I always preferred ropes myself, but I know how to tie a trucker's hitch that I can untie. Can't say I've had to tie down a golf cart of my roof racks though.

Yet....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's more a matter of the strength of the rope most people commonly use, rather than it untying.

Both knotting (together) and jerking motions can reduce the break weight of the rope significantly.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2016
    True, and straps aren't as affected by going over sharp "corners" as much either.

I have long hanks of webbing here and sew my own (non critical) straps. Just old school I guess, only keep rope in the car. Don't like cams banging on the paint and don't really trust the springs and such in the mechanical "cleats".

And part of is it the rubber pig vs sleek boat thing (but at least rafters, unlike kayakers, tie their boats down).

The trick with using straps is to put a twist or three in them when you strap stuff down - that'll kill any tendency for them to sing in the wind.