Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wondering if tires are causing other issues...

paguy215paguy215 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2016 in Toyota
I've noticed that my Camry has seemed especially sluggish when it starts from a stopping position. The acceleration just seems slow, but it gets better once I get up in speed. My first instinct was the transmission, but the fluid level is fine and I'm not really feeling that 'slipping' feeling. I noticed that my tires are very worn (not bald, but certainly worn to the point where I want them replaced), so I'm planning to get those replaced. However, I'd like to know a little more information so I know what to expect when I go into the shop.

1) Could the worn tires contribute to the dragging feeling that car has when it starts to accelerate?
2) I've also heard noises almost like a rumble shortly after I stop at a light, and rarely when I make any turns. I'm going to have them check the brakes and all, but the brakes seem fine and I never hear that noise when I step on them, only the two scenarios described. Could the worn tires be responsible for that sound too?

I guess ultimately I'm curious what sounds/issues a car could have as a result of worn tires (other than the obvious risks of wet roads, blown tires, fuel economy, etc). Thanks for your help!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,109
    Sounds more like a transmission issue, to me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like maybe your transmission is not downshifting from 2nd to 1st as you come to a stop. Then, in that case, it will start up again in 2nd, and feel quite sluggish. One of the shift solenoids could be sticking. A computer scan might help track this down if the shop you go to can access the TCM codes. If it's just a tire shop you may want to go elsewhere to track down this issue.

The only thing I can think of that might be tire related is if your tires were extremely low on air pressure.