Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Tahara Japan
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and over the last ten months various reviews of the FJ show different dimensions for the length of the FJ.

The most recent Motor Trend lists the length of the FJ at approximately 183.7 inches.

Past articles have listed the length as 177.6 inches.

I have also seen conflicting numbers regarding gas milage?

Does anyone have the unshakeable facts regarding length and gas mileage?
  • I'd guess that 6 inch difference is about the width of the spare tire hanging on the bback.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    18/22 (2WD AT) 16/19 (4WD MT) 17/21 (4WD AT)

Toyota lists length as 183.9 inches.
    I am very much looking forward to a testdrive. The FJ reminds me of a genetic cross between a Mini Cooper and a Hummer with Toyota quality.
  • bcb1bcb1 Posts: 149
    Hmm. Wife has been looking at the FJ and kinda likes it. We have Carmax Laurel, MD about an hour or so away, and they sell brand new Toyotas for a reasonable cost over invoice. They'll probably be sellin' like hotcakes when they first get them, though.

Ah, no problem. That'll just give me until late this year or early '07 to save up a few more pennies so we won't have to take out a loan for one. I hate having car payments anyway! ;)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Unless for some reason the initial reaction is a THUD... I believe that with the limited supply that it may become a Prius-like situation with orders out 2-6 months. Addendums will abound if this is the case. Dont be surprised if the initial several months have the lot vehicles decked out to the hilt with accessories.
  • bcb1bcb1 Posts: 149
    I'm fully expecting it to be quite a hit. Nice looking in a weird sort of way, with Toyota quality, the heritage to the original FJ, and a decent low to mid $20's price...that all adds up to be quite a winner, in my opinion.

I'm not so sure that it might be a little too spartan for our taste. We'll have to drive one and find out. She also likes the newer body style 4 Runner, so a used one might be a better choice for her. And there's always the possiblity of getting her a used '99 or '00 Toyota Land Cruiser...they're really nice, and they would be in the high teens/low 20's range we're looking at.

I'm one of those buyers that is really never in a hurry. Since we pay anywhere from 75% to 100% cash, and we take our time, buying a car is actually fun for us.
  • I've given up on this board and moved to:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/

..which seems to have more frequent traffic. If you're still checking this board, you'd probably be welcome there!
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    If Toyota were to put a diesel in the FJ Cruiser I would probably come back to the fold. I did love my 1964 Land Cruiser. It just had a lousy engine. If the FJ lives up to it's off road heritage, it should be a winner in that price range.
  • I had a FJ40 from the early seventies until the late eighties when I finally sold it. When Toyata decided to drop the bobtail and only sell the station wagon the country let out a collective groan of despair. This new FJ Cruiser is sorta cool but why develop a totally new model when the FJ70 bobtail is still being made and distributed worldwide? I am very familiar with the FJ70 since when staying in Africa with friends that lived there everybody drove these. Has America grown too swank for the bulletproof FJ70? :cry:
    Has America grown too swank for the bulletproof FJ70?

Good point. I have thought of buying an older FJ and rebuilding it. I really liked that vehicle. I should have put a small block Chevy V8 engine in it like all the other guys were doing in the 60s & 70s. They are worth a lot more now than the $2400 I paid for it new. It was the last of the small rear window model.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    My guess is that the FJ70 can't meet the current crash test standards.
    Hello everyone and I noticed on the FJ website that Toyota will offer a CatBack exhaust system which is supposed to sound great and increase horsepower. Toyota is offering lots of customization like their Scion brand.

Does anyone know how the exhaust system will impact horsepower and gas milage?????

Thankyou with appreciation,
    As far as I know, they haven't released any specs on the exhaust yet. I do know that it will be $550 if port-installed on the vehicle.
    is that it will be in the showrooms on or about March 27th.

Specs were known last week along with the models to be allocated to each store.
  • Did anyone see this months Car and Driver?
    They did a 4 way test with the H3, Xterra, FJ and Jeep.
    The FJ came in third place. They repeated what a lot of people here said- small back seat, very poor visibility through all the thick pillars.

The one in their test was yellow with plain black steel wheels, It looked pretty cool.
  • fj07fj07 Posts: 89
    What place did the Xterra come in? That is what I am getting.
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    Motor Trend did the same comparison. Ranked FJ 1st. Then Xterra, H3, and Liberty.
    Different strokes for different folks!
    The reviews I want to see will be in the 4Wheeler magazines. It will get a real test of what a 4X4 is about.
  • Xterra was 1st, Jeep, FJ and in 4th was the H3
  • toyodlrtoyodlr Posts: 12
    Our FJ was allocated to us today. MSRP with Side Airbags, Running Boards, Convenience Package, Upgrade Package #2, Roof Rack, Rear Door Storage and Carpet Mats is $28,800. We have sold the first 3 we have coming. EXPECT LONG WAIT TIME INTIALLY AND FAT ADDENDUMS.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I thought I'd jump in for a second.

Seems Toyota may, according to R&T, build the Supra after all, instead of putting the Supra on the shelf for the FJ, as Mr. Press indicated a couple of years ago.

C&D derided the FJ for poor ride quality, saying it was great off-road, but not good on the streets.

MT said the FJ was good at both, and better than Xterra on the streets, so it gave it the win.

Both mags had the FJ .2 seconds behind the X, 0-60.

DrFill
    ditto our expectation. We aren't taking any firm orders just a 'call-me' list on a first come first serve basis.

Agreed, it appears that these will not be basic models at all, loaded up with accessories and likely an addendum. We have 11 allocated, 3 MT and 8 AT, but not all at the same time obviously.
  • What happened to the beefy BF Goodrich tires ? Have they decided to go with a less agressive tire? It changes the whole look of the FJ!!

See FJ with agressive tires here:
    http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2007_fjcruiser/2007_fjcruiser.htm
    The only way to get the more aggressive tires is with the TRD 16" wheel accessory package.
  • When I access toyota.ca from work, I can "build and price" an FJ, and download an electronic brochure.

When I access toyota.ca from home, the very same site suddenly has no option to build and price and FJ, and no link to an electronic brochure. I still have access to FJ'S home page, with all the specs, warranty info, etc

The only tangible differences is that at work I have a DSL connection and the latest Windows version, while at home I have a dial-up and an older Windows version.

But why on Earth would that make an option to build an FJ and a link to an electronic brochure disappear???

Could anyone please go to toyota.ca and see if you can build an FJ and download a brochure. Please let me know what Internet connection you have

Thank you!
  • For the same money one can get a 4Runner with curtains (without waiting) currently selling $1-1.5k under invoice. Granted FJ might be cooler but 4Runner is much more value. Unless 6-MT is a must, FJ is no great deal!
  • kullenbergkullenberg Posts: 283
    I looked at Toyota Ca. and it allowed me to build an FJ. I run Windows XP (home edition), and DSL.
    Cheers :confuse: