Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

maintenance for low mileage van

mpsmom96mpsmom96 Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in Dodge
I have a 2011 that only has about 20K miles on it. I'm the little old lady that only drives it to church on sundays, except that I don't go to church and I'm not that old. lol. However, with less than 20K it has already had 2 motor mounts replaced and just needed a new battery. Yes, I live in AZ where the summers will kill anything, but at least 5 our of 7 days, it's garaged. So, I guess my questions are, 1. is it odd that it already needed motor mounts, 2. Some maintenance is timed based, so what should I do as far as maintenance for a 5yr van, although it only has 20K and 3. What can I do, since I don't drive it very much to keep it in good shape. When I took it in for the motor mounts, the mechanic told me not driving it is almost as bad as putting a lot of miles on it.

Comments

• I am in the same situation. I have a 2015 GC that has 10,600 miles on it. I mostly drive it on the weekends and occasionally during the week as I have a work car for M - F. I get a oil change and tire rotation every 6 months and will probably do the routine stuff sooner than the manual recommends. For ex, if the book calls for Transmission and/or spark plug maintenance every 10 years of 120,000 miles, I'll probably do it every 8 years seeing as I know I am going to keep this van til it dies like I do will all my cars. I even got the lifetime warranty. also do battery test every other oil change.

The rest I am still trying to figure out the best way of going about it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    It's definitely true that some things on a vehicle deteriorate with age along with the number of miles. Batteries and tires come to mind as two items that are usually date-stamped for a reason.