Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    I have to admit, for awhile there I thought maybe I should've
    gone with a V6 instead of my I4. But lately I'm awfully glad I
    didn't go that route. Performance & MPG's have been top notch
    and I have a feeling they will be in higher demand years from
    now when I try to sell it. Whadayu think?
    ----------------------
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Thanks Jim.

44"x74" is well short of the 48"x96" you'd need for plywood, as expected. And you can't drive with that gate wide open so forget about leaning it on one side, use the roof rack or get a trailer.

I do think the Sienna will fit a 48"x96" sheet, though, with the seats removed.

hit_the_road: hard to say, even the V6 is relatively efficient, compared to other V6s in the class, so I don't think that hurts it much. Your operating costs will be lower, however.

-juice
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    The remote locks and unlocks from about 50-60 yards away, but I haven't used the remote starter from that distance, but I would expect it to have the same range.
  • silveravinsilveravin Member Posts: 8
    MC, I just got my Rav4 V6 Sport 4x4 last night and had a heck of a time locating one in silver in the Bay Area, CA. There just isn't much availability of the V6 4x4's in general, let alone the specific colors and options. The dealer had to swap one of their different models. The other dealers are also not really willing to do this if it's a hot version they have b/c they know they can sell it easily themselves. I got lucky the dealers had mutual benefit for the swap. You have to either call every dealer yourself and get it directly, or hope that your dealership has some pull. Also as far as ordering special, dealers don't want to do this b/c it will take at least 2 months and there is risk that you won't follow thru, especially if you order specific options. It's also a request, not guaranteed from what I've been told. Check the toyota web site to see what options usually come with the L 4x4 in Northern CA. If you plug a different state they change. Looks like So CA is lacking for 4x4's. BTW I got mine for $210 over Edmunds Invoice w/ SR,GY,DJ,CD,RL. :D
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well enjoy your V6 Sport and keep us posted on how you like it and MPG etc.
  • rallythisrallythis Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing the 2006 RAV4 V6. I love the power and stability on my test drive, but I want to understand towing a little better.

I will be carrying 5 people total and towing a trailer with a 2000 lb. GVWR. The RAV4 V6 has a maximum tow rating of 3500 lbs. and a payload of 1073lbs. Making the GVW 4600 lbs.

I don’t want to strain the engine, or push the vehicle. Will anyone share advice, or information on how this will turn out?
    Thank you.
    The gross combined weight capacity varies for V6 models depending on 2WD or 4WD, with or without 3rd seat and with or without tow prep package. For a 2Wd, 5 passenger w/tow prep, the max is 8220lbs, 4WD 5 passenger w/tow prep is 8100lbs.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    With the V-6 you have plenty of power for that size trailer and 5 people (unless you're all sumo :) ). Being an engineer I know that manufacturers have to be conservative in their claims, because people will always push the limits in such matters.

And from what I've seen over all the years, in many countries people test the limits of these trucks all the time by loading 10 people and a month's food in them. You should have no problem.

And for those who want to haul construction supplies, I think a utility trailer is the way to go. You should even be able to rent one on a daily basis. Or if you can afford to buy a new Rav4, you can spend the $20 to get the supplies delivered. Unless you're a contractor I wouldn't let such stuff affect a vehicle decision.
    Read the fine print, because I'm pretty sure the max trailer weight without trailer brakes is 1000 lbs, and most small trailers do not have their own brakes.

If you do have trailer brakes, I think the V6 has plenty of torque to get it going. I would consider a transmission cooler if I were going to tow for long distances (anyone know if Toyota includes one?).

-juice
    By law, trailer brakes are required on trailers/cargos over 2000lbs, but the owner's manual states 600lbs.Towing is covered in the manual starting on page 311.
  • snanitasnanita Member Posts: 4
    I am seriously planning on getting a RAV4,I've test drove 3 of them, but the last one that I test drove was actually the perfect one for me, but the problem was that whenever I brake fairly hard, I can actually hear the gas in the gas tank moving.... Is this normal with any of your RAV4? Is anyone else having this issue? The dealer did an inspection on it and decided that they will change the entire gas tank, which they did. Even though the sound is substantially less, you can still hear it alittle bit. The dealer told us that the other RAV4 on the lot is doing the same thing. Can someone please let me know today, because they want us to go in today to buy the car.
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    Have never heard gas sloshing around in our tank. Odd. Maybe your stereo isn't turned up loud enough! Have had ours for 5 weeks now and seem to be getting consistent 23 mpg driving about 80% city, 20% at 50 mph. Zero complaints about the quality and performance; only nitpicks are about small things like cup holders, and poor rear cargo area light. Good luck, snanita, I hope it works out for you. You'll be getting a first-rate vehicle, that's for sure.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    I have yet to hear this as well. I've taken mine down to the low fuel light twice now. However I'm still in the break-in mode which specifically states not to do any hard braking, so it might be there but I haven't heard a thing.
    You must have some *seriously* good hearing. :D

-juice
    Well, I didn't break REALLY hard, but even at just 5-10 mph and breaking creates that liquid sound. I just called Toyota and they said they will document this incident. They have no clue either. they said maybe it's just the car is too quite and you can hear the liquid in the gas tank. Has anyone try turning down the music and actually try to listen for it? I am really hesitant in buying it.
    It was not just me that can hear it, my husband and the salesperson, and the tech guys also. This was about a week ago, and they actually change out the entire gas tank yesterday and told us it's ready to buy, but you can still hear it alittle bit. Not as bad as a week ago.
  • tnrunnertnrunner Member Posts: 5
    I've had my v-6 limited for almost a month now, and I've not heard this sound, either. By the way, anyone know what the smallish, rectangular storage slot on the far left side of the dash area is supposed to hold? small cell phones?
  • mc94087mc94087 Member Posts: 6
    thanks for your reply. congrats on your new RAV4! the options I ordered is a standard package in california. i guess they are just in short supply. at this rate, i may end up just waiting for a 2007 model!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The second (?) generation Honda Odyssey suffered from gas sloshing noise, and I think another Honda exhibited this symptom (Pilot, iirc).

Honda put baffles in the tank and that helped a lot. Mostly people seemed to get used to the noise after a few hundred miles and tuned it out.

Steve, Host
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Gas sloshing - I'm pretty sure that mfgr's put baffles inside the tanks. It's not just a big empty container. I've now got 1k miles on mine and haven't noticed this issue. I would imagine this is one of those things were now that you've heard it you're listening for it. Like a little squeek somewhere that drives you nuts. So with that in mind, THANKS A LOT FOR POINTING THIS OUT !

Little rectangular slot - a bic cigarette lighter fits there perfectly so when the sloshing noise finally makes you go psycho, you can set your car on fire.

- hutch ;)
    I didn't know that Hondas suffers from gas sloshing noise as well. It was nice to know. I wasn't trying to listen for the noise, but prior to them changing the gas tank, it was really noticeable. I have test drove several different RAV4s. I have not went back to this same dealership yet to see what it sounds like after they replaced the tank. I think this might just be an isolated case. We (my husband and the salesperson) seriouly thought there was a gallon of water in the trunk or soemething.
    Hello, you have the V6?
  • amm2amm2 Member Posts: 12
    I have been shopping for an i4 and the last dealer I was at had mostly base models and v6's. They are trying to make it worth my while on the v6 by saying the hwy mileage is both 28. What has your mpg been? I drive mostly hwy but need would prefer 4wd for winter in New England and trips to upstate NY area. Also they are suggesting I take base (which they have more of) and retrofit fog lights. Will that work okay?
    Yes, jimd4, we have a v6 ltd. The first tank had mysteriously high economy, ~25 mpg (U.S.); almost leads me to suspect the dealer over-filled it and put in high-octane as well. If he did, well then that's a pretty good trick! Again, since then, getting consistently ~23 mpg. I'm looking forward to trying it out on a road trip to see what I'll get with mostly highway driving.
    Well 23 MPG seems good to me for that type of driving
    Enjoy!
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    How could overfilling the gas tank effect the gas mileage?
    You're not just dividing the total mileage by the tank capacity for your mpg, are you?
    No, but if it's possible, an extra gallon squeezed into the tank by the dealer will affect the mpg of your first tank, no? Not likely that that happened, of course. Just odd that the best mileage I've gotten was on the first tankful. Still happy with 23 mpg.
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    I would never base my MPG on the first tank of gas from the dealer, because you can't know how much is in there to start with. The only way to know is for you to fill up each time you gas up. Then you have a fairly reliable measure of how much gas was actually consumed and how far you drove.
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    Obviously the dealer is trying to push what they have in stock.
    My hwy mpg is right around the EPA figure. If you
    go a bit slower (around 60 mph) without alot of steep hills,
    you can get even more. Do the other dealers have some Sport and Limited models?
    They have alot more decent options than just fog lights.
    --------------------------
  • bing8bing8 Member Posts: 11
    Orioninil,
    Thank you for giving the real mileage report of your first tank on the new rav 4 v6 4wd. How is your mileage now after a few more miles on the Rav4? I am very interested in real mileage of the rav4 v6 or 4 cyl 4wd's. I want the 4wd but am afraid of the real world mileage. I need more room and 4wd.

By the way, unless one needs 4wd, buying he small 2wd SUV's just make no sense to me. After all the Scion XB, Chev HHR,and Honda Fit, do the same thing and cost thousands less.
    Thanks
    Bing8
  • mojavemojave Member Posts: 3
    Did you get an answer? I am in the same situation, I ordered one 2 1/2 months ago but was it really ordered or are they just looking for one?? The one I ordered is very similar to yours.
  • hannahsmummyhannahsmummy Member Posts: 20
    I find it holds a packet of Extra gum quite nicely!!! Convenient and easy to grab a stick during those driving times when I get that not so fresh breath feeling...! :shades:
  • hannahsmummyhannahsmummy Member Posts: 20
    Bing8,

I've had my V6 now since the end of February, and I'm still tracking gas mileage, since it's become a bit of a habit for me now. Pretty much every tank of gas I've got around 24 mpg. On the odd occasion, I've got almost 26 mpg, but so far, each fill up has proven consistent mpg. I drive 80% highway 20% city. The thing has 4000 miles on it now, and lately I've been filling up with 87 octane whereas before I was alternating between 87 and 91, for no reason really. But now, with gas prices at $3.29/gallon in my area for 87 octane, that'll do just nicely thank you!

Btw, my V6 is a 4WD base model with 3rd row seat in beautiful Pacific Blue Metallic! And I LOVE it!
  • mc94087mc94087 Member Posts: 6
    i just spoke with the dealership. my understanding is that while an order may be placed with the manufacturer (which may or may not occur since the model I ordered had standard options and would get manufactured anyways) and the car is shipped to n. california, the car may end up getting allocated to other dealerships in the area regardless of which dealership may have an order for that exact model. so, essentially, an order doesn't really work. the dealer just keeps looking at the allocations for a car that matches the order specs to sell to us. they can try to trade other dealerships for the car we want, but with the high demand, it's unlikely they'd agree to trade.
  • silveravinsilveravin Member Posts: 8
    Hang in there and stay in touch with a few dealers you want to deal with. If you are in SF, City Toyo and Geary Toyo dealerships were good. City is more aggressive w/ pricing, it is privately owned. Didn't like Van Ness. One of the young reps I dealt with drives all the cars like he's on the race track. I was able to get them to compete with each other and also had more feelers out here for the Rav I wanted. The dealers are always getting new shipments. The one that had the car had told me a few days earlier they had none. Persistence and timing is key to getting the one you want! I considered special ordering, but generally you don't get as good of a deal as when they have it on the lot and it takes sooooo long.
  • lampwalklampwalk Member Posts: 17
    I've had my V6 RAV 4 4x4 for almost a week (Sad--the next day someone rear-ended me), about 380 miles on it. Yesterday, when I stopped, I DID hear the sloshing gas and was going to ask if it could have been accident-related when it goes into the shop next week. The tank was full minus about 3/4 gal gas used to drive home, so cannot understand the sloshing sound at all.
    Like Hutch said, now you're looking for it. ;)

-juice
    ABout a week ago, we picked up our brand new V6 Base RAV4, Tow package, 4x4, Roof Rack, 3rd row seats. The very next day, while stopped at a Stop sign, a Blankity Blank rearended me--horrible crunch, crash--most of the damage was to their car, BUT mine had rear fender cracked and now comes the MAJOR question:

What else should the Collsion Center/Service shop be looking for as to hidden damage by the LARGE shock to the system???

Now, I hear wind whisteling through the rear door and also smell exhaust funes when I first start the engine. ALSO, got about 26.7 mpg driving the first 250 miles to bring it home and now, after the accident, seems to have dropped to 22--strictly highway driving about 60-65 mph (varying it to 70, too as per manual's break-in suggestions).

Could the shock of the impact have done something to the exhaust?

Could the computer have been damaged by the shock?

Why the suddent decrease in gas mileage?

Could the bumper crush have opened a leak in the rear door which would explain whistling in the wind and perhaps the smell of exhaust fumes (only when starting--when car moving, don't smell)?

COuld the rear sensing systems for 4x4 or Tire pressure be affected by a sudden impact?

How would they test for the above?

Am taking it in to service on Monday (the bumper is backordered, so can't get that replaced at Collision Center until later next week).

I also notice the gas sloshing mentioned earlier on the forum.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The simple answer is yes to all of your questions. These complex problems may be hard to diagnose. Consequently, it is important that you take it to a reliable collison centre / repair shop. Hidden damage is not uncommon in rear end accidents. You should be provided with a detailed list of the repairs required (including parts to be replaced) and a detailed cost on everything that has to be done. Again, a well known, reliable repair shop should be able to assit you. Good Luck
  • nagspnagsp Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a RAV4 V4 4X4 limited with leather 2 weeks ago with Pacific Blue. I am in New Jersey and not seen a single limited V4 as most are V6. Anyone here got a similar one delivered? I want to know before I start hunting at other dealers.

Thanks
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    I noticed several people saying that they ordered their Rav 4 and weeks have passed and nothing. I don't think they actually order it from the manufacturer, but rather 'look' for it. Problem is, most dealers, once they get one, don't part with it because they are hard to find and easy to sell at almost MSRP. I'm in California and tried ordering one. Toyota said no. They said it could take up to 6 months with no guarantee. To basically have my dealer keep tracking one down. I wanted the Limited 4 cylinder / 2 wheel drive with everything (moon roof, leather, heated seats, premium sound, side curtain air bags, floor and cargo mats, blizzard pearl which is extra). I got lucky one day and found one (Blizzard PearI with ash interior) I got pretty much everything except leather/heated seats - hard to find those. Anyhow, no problem because I love the upholstery, and when I get tired I can always have leather put in (much nicer and softer than what comes with it). I paid $23,603. That was $100 under their invoice, $300 over Edmunds invoice. I love it! I'm still waiting to see how many MPG's I get.
    Make sure you go through the driver's insurance. If problems creep up later you're covered. Definitely do everything by the book, no cash payout/settlement.

-juice
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I believe the 'problem' on the vehicle that you spec'd out is the 2WD limitation. Those are like hen's teeth.
    Loads of 2wd in SE region. See zip 34423
  • kencycleskencycles Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks - I4 mileage report

After a lot of reading, researching, etc., we purchased a Limited 4 cyl. on April 1, w/ 4wd, and all options except leather (in Pacific Blue) here in Santa Rosa, CA - the dealer found exactly what we were looking for in two days by trading another dealer for it - a common practice I was told. Our mileage after the first 2500 miles was 25.2 mpg. That covered several long road trips (including a trip from SF bay area to Sedona, AZ over the Sierras, etc.)at 75-80 mph and some around town driving. The last tank got 27.5 mpg. I'm satisfied with those numbers and expect the mileage to improve some as the engine breaks in.

My most significant complaint so far, and one I didn't note in the earlier posts was the problem with seeing the instrument panel, climate control readout and audio readouts - the plastic covers make it difficult to see in the daylight when I'm wearing sunglasses. As that's all I noted on the negative side, I still would buy the vehicle, but...

Thought this would help those who are looking for data on mileage...
  • soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    Picked up my Limited V6 loaded AWD,Barcelona Red yesterday morning! I ordered it on Feb. 23rd and after 2 1/2 months the dealer came through. I only have 74 miles on it so far but my initial impressions are: the ride is firm, comfortable and secure; handling is quite nimble and turning diameter is fantastic; auto air/heat system works great; both the transmission and engine are smooth,quiet and FAST; entry and exit is a breeze; no funny noises and everything is working as it should. After just a day I love it and so does my wife.
    Reading the owners manual, it does say that the RAV 4 V6 engine will use about 1.1 qt every 600 miles--now this is really a surprise, as my Honda did not have that type of oil usage. They recommend we check the OIL EVERY Gas fillup--now that takes me waaaaaaaaay back to the old days and the old cars.

How long does this last--just for the breakin, or for the life of the vehicle? I did check my oil dipstick after about 350 miles and it is now down to 1/2 way between the low and hi marks.

My Service dealer is closed--I know it's 5W 30, but what brand as it comes from the factory, since I will have to add oil before the next oil changed recommended at 3750 miles?????
  • battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    Well, I've had my RAV just about a month(and love driving it) and the only thing I've found that can fit in that storage slot successfully is my chap stick. Which brings me to "nit picking negatives",
    1. lack of cupholder space(I never realized how important this was before)
    2. the netting that holds stuff on the back of both front seats should have been solid leather or vinyl.
    3.all that blank space(where slot is located) could easily have held a drawer for valet key,change,whatever.
    4.parking break should have been a foot activated one,since this one seems to get in the way.
    The unexpected things I really appreciate are the stereo controls on steering wheel, the side opening rear hatch (too bad its not curb friendly as others have stated)and I am still pleasantly surprised at how much power the v6 has.
    You also can't beat all the under cargo area storage,and the cargo net is a nice touch that has really come in handy.
  • battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    Sorry I haven't been on the computer for awhile. My Lexus(which we still have) has good qualitys such as the displays that tell you MPG,ETA,and interior is definitely more luxurious as far as the leather quality and wood accents,it also has alot more "driver friendly" storage areas. But the RAV4 V6 has so many other assets such as better mpg, alot more POWER,GREAT cargo storage,great steering radius, better looking body, and the bottom line is the LEXUS is a TOYOTA, but you pay thru the nose for it.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    As a percentage of the purchase price of a Rav4 - especially a Limited, the V-6 isn't much more than a 4 cyl. And as you see from some mpg reports there's not much difference. So why are you stuck on getting a 4cyl? You may 1 day have a situation where you wish to have more power.

I think the reason you'll have a hard time finding a 4 cyl Limited is that if you're paying that sort of money, most people want to get some power. I wouldn't pay over $20K for a 4 cyl engine unless it was in a light sports car. A 4 cyl may be "adequate" but $20K+ is too much money for this sort of vehicle.