Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Saturn Sky

Comments

• Options
    stormyskystormysky Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading these mgs about legroom and wanted to tell you all that I am 6' 6" 240LB evenly porportioned male and I fit into our Saturn Sky. Although I cannot see someone much taller than I fitting very well, I have no problem driving this car and did I say.....we love it!
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Two words....

RED LINE
  • Options
    jeannelajeweljeannelajewel Member Posts: 12
    What does RED LINE mean?
  • Options
    I hope that this does not break the rules but I started a board for Saturn Sky owners to talk. If you want to post here is the link. Click here: Message Board - welcome sky owners
  • Options
    nscrbugnscrbug Member Posts: 16
    Redline is the Saturn "performance" line of cars. Bigger engines, sporty suspension, etc. The Sky Redline will be going into production later this summer and arriving at dealerships probably by October or early November. The Sky RL has a 260hp turbo engine, which is a considerable performance boost over the standard Sky engine of 177hp. The Sky RL will also have Stabiltrak (stability and traction control) as a standard option...this feature is not offered on the regular Sky.
  • Options
    carguy2carguy2 Member Posts: 1
    I checked out the sky's at Galpin Motors. The additional features came to $6979.00. The added items were Garman 330c navigation system, gm performance cold air intake, LoJack with notification system, foose 20" rims and nitto tires and tinted rear window. The two salesmen I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable. Cheers!
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Look elsewhere!!! Or wait a while and you will find cars w/o all the extra stuff.
  • Options
    oldmx4oldmx4 Member Posts: 1
    I have money down on a 2007 SKY and the dealer even gave me the sticker price, but they have no idea when it is going to be coming in or available :mad:
    He said it is not built yet, said it was probably being built?:confuse: Does anyone know when the next release of Sky's are coming?
  • Options
    mharrahymharrahy Member Posts: 2
    Please share your experiences when seeking the best price for this in demand vehicle... dealers in my area (NH) want 120% of sticker for in-stock Sky's... :cry:

I need to learn what options I have...
  • Options
    scott1scott1 Member Posts: 50
    It was a gorgeous 74 degree sunny day in Wisconsin, and Saturn of Waukesha had a beautiful sparkling SKY in their showroom delivery bay ready for customer demos.

I traded in my 99 Corvette in 2004 and have been missing that "fun" car excitement ever since. The Sky I drove was very impressive...nice tight rattle free body,great sounding exhaust note, and plenty of power for entering freeway ramps.

I drove a 5 speed automatic, which is probably the way I would go, and found it be be a very nice transmission.

That car sure does get some looks and comments from other drivers.
  • Options
    That is why I LOVE my chili pepper red sky! I have manual transmission and would not go another way!
  • Options
    skysouthwestskysouthwest Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to say hello. I am a new Saturn Sky owner looking for kindred souls and car events in the Southwestern US.
  • Options
    It seems that the southwest has all the good stuff! I have been looking or trying to get a club going here in CT but I have had no luck so far. I even called our dealership and gave them permission to give out my phone # to new Sky owners but I have not heard from one! :cry::cry:
  • Options
    skysouthwestskysouthwest Member Posts: 2
    We have sun nearly every day here, and when it does rain, the Gods do us the courtesy of opening up the skies at night, and raining hard enough so that in just a few short weeks of Monsoon season, we wake to find our reserviors full. With that kind of weather year round, you see a lot of convertibles out on the roads nearly every day.
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    For those of you already in a Sky, I've created a discussion for you to share and compare your experiences:

2007 Saturn Sky: New Owners Report

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    peterhebertpeterhebert Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I went to see the roll out of the new 2006 Saturn Sky at their road show stop at Saturn of Bowie in November 2005. Sensual energy defines the sculpted lines of this two-seat roadster convertible. We saw a $250,000
    hand-built Sky that had to be started using a jumper cable. The trunk remained shut and filled with Styrofoam since the details on the soft top roof had not yet been worked out on the road show model. Since we loved the
    look and feel of this car that looks like no other on the road, I placed a deposit with a targeted delivery date for Spring 2006.

After the rumor was confirmed, I said that I would rather wait a little longer for the high performance variant to roll out. I picked my Saturn Sky Red Line on September 11, 2006, a full 10 months after we saw that hand-built Sky at the roadshow. I was the first to take delivery of a Red Line at Saturn of Bowie. Black exterior, black and tan leather interior, tan soft top, all options minus the spolier. The color selection was my wife’s doing, and I am thankful for her direction. OnStar and XM radio come with the car as does a 6-CD changer.

The Red Line is a very different animal from the original 177 horespowered rollout version. I know because I test drove both the 5-speed and automatic versions of the original Sky, and was quite pleased with each transmission
    set up. I am ecstatic with rear wheel drive. The Red Line's pick up, performance, speed, and handling are superb. The Red Line edition is truly a high performance vehicle with a 260 horsepower engine and an upgraded suspension system for serious get up and go driving. In normal drive mode, this car is a tamed animal. In competitive mode, the car's vigor is unleashed. And, frankly, the Red Line car far exceeded my expectations since my last recollections were of test driving different models of the original Sky.

With the Red Line, what you see is what you get. It is a true sports car that drives like an arrow. It flies straight and it flies fast. Coming out of the gate is stunning. No back aches from being jolted back into the seats. You need the new Corvette for that experience. The car hugs and controls the road it is on and beautifully handles turns and ramps with an exhilaration that I thought was restricted to gaming.

The Red Line is a great high performance car for the money, not to mention a great value as well when an additional $15,000 will buy a competitive car in the same performance league, but with higher maintainance costs. That said,
    the Sky's enduring value will utlitmately rest on the quality of the overall car over time. General Motors bet on me buying the car, and I bet on better overall technology built into the vehicle to stand the test of time of serious driving. We both made a bet, and I suspect the outcome will be win-win.

The Sky was designed to evoke awe and truly has the wow feature built into the vehicle. I foresee this car becoming the next best selling roadster given the responses I have experienced in just one week. The day after I took delivery, I took a cell call in front of Roy Rogers. A young boy came almost running out of the front door with his mother restraing him. “M-o-m! Look at that c-o-o-l car!” I turned to see the boy. His eyes were wide open. Just like mine when I first saw the car at the road show. Kids in the community where we live shout out and run alongside in awe as I drive up the street. One older woman rolled down her window and said, "That car's a chick
    magnet!" She's right. The prior weekend a woman at an event I attended was mesmerized by the car's scultped lines and exposed brakes seen through the polished mags. Men and women make detours when walking to ask questions about the car regardless if I am at a Starbucks, a gas station, in Annapolis near the city dock, or at a grocery store. Last weekend, a guy in a convertible Benz would not take his eye off of my car while we were at a light. No wonder. When asked why not buy a resale convertible Benz for the same price, I replied that I did not want something that looked passe. Moreover, I owned a Benz, and was relieved to get rid of it and the over priced maintainance costs. Anyway, I was not expecting any of the attention the Sky draws.

What the Sky lacks in glove and trunk space, it makes up for with cleverly tucked away pockets for road maps. There are four map pockets, two per seat. I had written the trunk space off as useless. But, I was able to get three bags of groceries into the trunk with the top down, and another bag behind the passenger seat when pulled forward. I picked up a folding grocery carrier from AAA, and it sits tight behind the driver's seat for when we grocery shop.

But, this car is really about top down driving with great performance in good weather and this quite satisfied driver's elation. With the top down or up, this car is realy designed for fun road trips. It is nice to be ahead on the curve.
  • Options
    Congratulations! It sounds like you are having the time of your life with the red line. My husband told me you have one heckova powerful car! It must be a doozy since my sky just flies for me. I am now over 1,000 miles and that is a big deal for me! I got it in May. What color did you choose?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large local newspaper seeks speak to new Saturn buyers and why they purchased the Saturn vehicle. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, September 28, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    You can contact me by email.
  • Options
    ick9dkick9dk Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone experienced any problem with your air conditioning. I have 1000 miles and the air conditioner stopped. I had it at the dealership today and they could not figure out what the problem. The condenser is ok and the fuses are fine. They had it all day and asked I bring it back next week and they will research it ?? I am sure they will diagnose it next week but has anyone in SKY LAND experienced any problem with the air conditioner not working ? If yes what was the problem..... Thank you
  • Options
    Knocking on wood! So far my Sky has around 1500 miles and nary a problem! I hope that they can fix your problem fast. Let us know what the outcome is finally. thanks
  • Options
    roomtoroomroomtoroom Member Posts: 2
    I have 12000 miles on mine. I bought it June and have had no problems at all with mine. Hasn't seen a shop except for oil changes and tire rotation.
  • Options
    Well, the air still isn't fixed. The dealership had it all day today and said they may need all day tomorrow....or a few more days !!!!! I can't understand why they can't diagnose it properly. Next 3 days are going to be sunny too !!! They said tomorrow they will have to take the dash all apart, I hope I don't start to get any rattles. Any one know anything about SKY airconditioners ?? Thank you.
  • Options
    roomtoroomroomtoroom Member Posts: 2
    This sounds serious. Please keep us updated. Wonder why they just don't replace the electronics in the dash? I am not an aircondition person, but curious. Does the AC not work or the fan not working (compressor comes on, but no air flow). Does it work sometimes and then stop? Can you cut the car off and back on and it restarts? The reason I ask this, is I had a L200 (2003) and every now and then the lights would start blinking. I found that if I cut the car off and then back on, the problem would go away, sometimes for months. I figured it was a problem with the computer, but never did find out. I know that was a known problem on that car. Anyway, good luck and please let us know what the fix is.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to current or previous Saturn owners that went to the homecoming events in Springhill, TN sometime around 1994 and 2000. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    The address supplied by you is considered too long by AOL.
    I will reply here.
    My husband and I attended the homecoming in rainy TN and had a wonderful time.
    Contact me through my email address.
    JMEffrece@aol.com
  • Options
    I have had the Sky to the garage for the third time, the last two were for 1 week each. It seems that the reason the air did not work was it needed a new body control module. It took about a week just to get it by FED EX. They were told the factory did not have the part !! After it was installed, I returned it the next day because the air still did not work and now the radio and OnStar did not work. After another week at the garage it now works. It needed also a Heater Control Valve. So, If anyone has a similar problem have the service person immediately check the heater control valve and the body control module. I wonder if the original problem was the valve ?? The service people were very curtious and nice and offered a loner car throughout the process, but it was a bit frustrating...without my SKY for 2 1/2 weeks on nice days. I hope this is all behind me now. Anyone have similar problems, repairs ?
  • Options
    stobarstobar Member Posts: 110
    I am going to take delivery of a 2007 Solstice next week. The only thing I haven't decided on yet is whether to bump the 36K bumper-to-bumper to a 5 year 60K bumper-to-bumper. I know that the standard powertrain warranty is now for 5 years 100K, but not sure if that covers things like AC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    marionkmarionk Member Posts: 1
    Hey kindred spirit,
    My wife has had a Forrest Green Sky since early September and we love this new roadster also. We're from Oregon and are trying to plan the first West Coast Sky / Red Line Rally. The plan is to meet July 1st in Seattle, Washington...take the 30 minute ferry ride across to Bainbridge Island and then tour the Olympic Peninsula.
    If you know this country at all you know it has stunning beauty that's perfect for top down touring roadsters!
    As I said we love our Sky... GM has hit a home-run with this design. I definitely see the influence of the 60's Chevy's [primarily Sting-Ray] yet has it's own distinctive look.
    We bought the Sky and ordered a Mid-nite Blue Red Line the same day. We're #6 in Oregon waiting for the Red Line...Car Crazy eh! I guess you could say we love these cars!
    We'll be in Scottsdale for the Berret-Jackson Auction next month.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Mike
  • Options
    Enjoying my Saturn Sky...Can anyone tell me if they have had a funny swish sound occur whenever you push slightly down on the accelerator. Its is a faint sound, but always occurs. Sounds like it is comming from the front of the car. The dealership said they could not find a problem ??? I never had that sound before. It only occurs the instant you apply the initial pressure on the accelerator whenever switching gears or even if in idle and stepping on the accelerator..Appreciate anyones diagnosis..the sound goes immediately away after the initial pressure... Thank you
  • Options
    Soudns like air going into the engine. Try taking off the air box cover or something and see what happens.
  • Options
    Interesting thought....I will try this tomorrow. Thanks
  • Options
    roy20roy20 Member Posts: 2
    Are they built on the same chassis I heard the Sol is built on the old fero chassis how is the ride ?
  • Options
    They are on the same architecture and chassis. tuned slightly different with a little more comfy ride on the Sky.
  • Options
    snaponbobsnaponbob Member Posts: 3
    Let's take care of a couple issues. the Fiero was a mid engine car. The basic platform was a Chevette front suspension, and the driveline was an X-body (Citation) front driveline bolted into the middle of the car without the steering gear. Seriously. That was how a Fiero was built.

The Sky and Solstice are built on the GM Kappa platform. The Kappa is a front engine, rear drive system, with four wheel upper and lower control arm full independent suspension. Absolutely NOTHING in common with the Fiero except they both had four wheels.

The "ride" is terrific. I have a Redline and it is very nice. Handles very well, quick, and not harsh at all.
  • Options
    Took a look at inventory numbers for February

Sky 1300
    Solstice 4600
    MX-5 6300
    S2000 2000

Looks like either GM cannot keep up with demand (doubtful for the middle of the winter) or Mazda is really having a hord time selling. For as many dealers the Pontiac has compared to Mazda the MX-5's must be sitting enmasse.
  • Options
    jlettie2jlettie2 Member Posts: 14
    I was at a Saturn dealership a week ago to check out the SKY. I test drove the vehicle it drove okay, but the interior looks cheap, lot of plastic. The salesman stated that they would not deal on the car. I asked why there was $200.00 dealer money for a car that is a hot seller? I do not pay full price for any car. I left the dealer and returned home. An hour later the salesman phoned me and asked me to return to the dealership. I told hime if wanted to deal he should have stated it to me at the dealership.
  • Options
    dkaplan435dkaplan435 Member Posts: 23
    Hey everybody,

I checked out the Saturn Sky @ the Milwaukee Auto Show and though I'd post photos here.

Turbo:
    http://www.taxicabs.com/autoshow/milwaukee2007/Saturn/SkyTurbo/

Non Turbo:
    http://www.taxicabs.com/autoshow/milwaukee2007/Saturn/Sky/

Dave
  • Options
    Yup. That is my baby. I have chili pepper red. I got my beauty last April. We have had a grand time time going all around CT
    Don't care what anyone on here says. Whenever a stranger comes up to me they are shocked that this beauty is Saturn. It is not too plastic either! The power is great and I do not even have the power house one. Hills all over CT and mountains too. We have never had a problem navigating the twists and turns here in CT. I guess some people are just picky, picky, picky. LOL
  • Options
    cjackiejcjackiej Member Posts: 1
    I think GM did almost a great job with the Sky, however what do you do about a flat tire. If there was/is no room for a spare, why didn't they have flatless tires with gauge indicators for tire pressure.
  • Options
    rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    I've read that the automatic is faster than the manual.
    Something to do with not being able to keep the tires from hooking up.
    Any feedback on this?
  • Options
    deeberdeeber Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it ever so slightly is. My salesman (and others on another forum) explained that the transmission on the automatic is very good and shifts faster and better than someone in a standard. Since it's a smoother shift, you don't lose traction. Don't know how true that is (I can't afford both a standard and an automatic) :)
  • Options
    chelle26chelle26 Member Posts: 8
    :) im kind excited with the new Sky for this year..have you familiar with the saturn exhaust hanger? i was trying further info's about this stuff..
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who have participated in Saturn’s “Side-by-Side-by-Side” test drive program.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before 4pm Eastern on Friday, August 3 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • Options
    kaymkaym Member Posts: 4
    e purchased a Sky Red Line a couple months ago. When we try to use the On-Star feature, the volume is too low to hear. The volume for our radio works just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? The only time I can hear the On-Star reps is when the car is stopped & I lean in really close to the speaker & have the volume cranked up to max.
  • Options
    In our vehicle the onstar volume is adjustable thru the radio menu system. But we have a Nav unit (not Sky).
  • Options
    kaymkaym Member Posts: 4
    Yes, the onstar volume should be adjustable thru the radio system. But even if I have the radio cranked up as high as it can go, I can't hear the onstar rep talking unless I'm stopped. And even then I have to strain to hear. At that same volume, the radio would blast me out of the car.
  • Options
    Not sure we are talking on the same fix. In the menu system on my car OnStar volume is set separately from the radio volume. Again, I am not sure if that is available on your vehicle. do not remember what you said but have you called your dealership?
  • Options
    dkurzwegdkurzweg Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2007 Saturn Sky. I have one issue the dealer said he would not even look at because it was a convertible. The passenger window has a lot of wind noise over 30 mph. Thre driver side window is very quiet. Any ideas on how to correct this without a dealer involvement? Does anyone else even have this problem?
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I would say the obvious answer woud be to go to another dealer, especially since your current dealer is not supporting his customer. You shouldn't have to correct this problem without dealer involvment!
This discussion has been closed.