Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I think this would be the best vehicle to buy! They pulled it off for some random quality control and apparently it's OK. The 40 miles is a small price to pay.
  • nantcktnantckt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for the quick responses.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Am I the only one that finds the 2006 Mountaineers appearance a disappointment? The new Wheels are horrible looking. The interior is also bad. I'm so glad I bought a new one back in 2004. It is so much better inside and out as far as appearance goes. I do like the new Explorer. As far as buying a new Mountaineer in the future, there is no way I will consider unless they change them. All I can say is hideous.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • 05fordexplorer05fordexplorer Member Posts: 5
    does anyone know if the 06 allows you to check your transmission fluid? To me this was a big mistake on fords part, taking away the dipstick on my 05. Fortunately I have the extended warranty so no worries.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I consider this a good sign.

There are people like you, and others like my wife, who love the Mountaineer, but dislike the Explorer. Because of the differences, a broader market segment is satisfied.
  • kabillkabill Member Posts: 35
    I'm extremely impressed with the '06 Explorer's 3rd row room. I thought the Honda Pilot was the only midsized vehicle with a "realistic" 3rd row. The Explorer is actually roomier--two adults could go a long way in the seats-- plus you don't have to remove the headrests to fold down the row, like you do on the Pilot. By the way, I thought the Jeep Commander would have similar, if not better, accessibilty, but it's 3rd row is useless and its overall cargo room is abysmal.
    Will
  • kabillkabill Member Posts: 35
    Honest question-- if Explorers are so great, why haven't you kept one for more than 2 years?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    if Explorers are so great, why haven't you kept one for more than 2 years?

Some people are just addicted to the new car smell? ;)

tidester, host
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    It seems that the new Ford Edge and other CUVs will overtake traditonal SUVs in sales in 2006, but comparing the fuel costs is interesting.

I was surprised to see on Ford's media web site that the fuel milage of the Edge will only be in the mid 20-MPG range on the highway. Ford shows 18-19 city and 24 highway and premium required for its Mazda CX-7 sibling. Even though I drive over 35,000 miles per year, a CX-7 would only save me about $300 per year over an Explorer Limited V8 (with regular at $2.40 and premium at $2,60). Even though the Edge will run on regular, and probably achieve a bit better mileage than the CX-7, it would probably only save me about $900 per year on fuel vs the Explorer Limited V8. For someone who drives more typical distances, the annual savings would be less than half those amounts.

The problem is the weight - according to Ford, an Edge with front wheel drive will weigh 4,086 pounds, while Edmunds shows that an Explorer Limited V8 with rear wheel drive weighs 4,531 pounds - just 445 pounds more!

The price of the Edge and other CUVs will be lower than that of the traditional SUVs, so if there are any significant savings to be had, it will only be there. However, the traditional SUV has more interior space, the option of a third row seat, and towing capabilities which the CUVs can't match.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Ford Explorer received the highest five-star crash rating from NHTSA for both front- and side-impact crash resistance." (ditto Mountaineer).

Ford SUVs Get Top Safety Ratings From NHTSA (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Just 445 pounds more...if I just stop driving my mother-in-law around in any vehicle I own, I will save 445 pounds or more...think it'll help me???

Don't let my wife see this post...if any of you publish it, I will deny it MOST vehemently...well, VERY vehemently...well, I will deny it...sort of...maybe... ;);):blush:

Bob
  • ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    I agree about the 18" wheels - they're terrible.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    why would the cx-7 save $300 vs explorer and edge $900 vs same if their mileage is not too different?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    A friend of mine used to own a tire store. He had a guy about your m-i-l's size come in and complain about the tires wearing on the inside shoulders. Wendell finally solved the problem by aligning the front end with the guy sitting in the car. So I'd say, yes, 445 pounds can make a BIG ;) difference.
    The CX-7 requires premium fuel, while the others use regular.
  • nittany78nittany78 Member Posts: 1
    I need help - I have a new 2006 Explorer w/ front air only - the air conditioning makes a loud popping noise every 12 seconds when it is on. I have taken it back to the dealership and they have dubbed this a design flaw - does anyone have any suggestions on how to give a car back? Ford has already sent an engineer but unless enough people complain (it's only hot enough in Texas in January to run an airconditioner) no "fix" will happen - the car is DRIVING ME CRAZY!
    My 2006 Mountaineer has a periodic "Thunk", that can almost be felt as well as heard. 12 second interval seems about right. It goes away when A/C is off.

Are we talking the same thing?
  • soctecsoctec Member Posts: 3
    Looking for input from outdoors type people. Considering buying a 2006 Explorer or Mountaineer. We pull a 4000 pound camper. Definitely going with the V-8. What do you recommend - a 4WD Explorer or AWD Mountaineer? We camp in the mountains and rarely go off-roading but often take forest roads or roads labeled "4wd" because we like to backpack and mountainbike and go skiing in winter. Currently have a 2000 Explorer with 4WD. Essentially, will we be happy with the towing capabilities of these vehicles, and will we be disapointed if we choose AWD instead of 4WD?
    i do go outdoors occsionally, so i'll respond. obviously, you need the towing package. overall, i prefer the 3 mode drive system in the explorer to awd. something simple like tire pressures can make a big difference in the feel of the handling in either type.
    I will be towing a 21 ft, 5,500# travel trailer from Green Valley, AZ to Ann Arbor, MI & back this summer. 2006 Mountaineer AWD, 4.6.

The only advantage I see in the Explorer 4WD is the hi/low range capability. I do off-roading, and can't imagine ever needing low range. The AWD does an excellent job of powering the proper wheels when in the nasty stuff. The Mountaineer AWD also has the ability for driver to select 4WD ... all 4 wheels receiving power, regardless.

By all means get the $150 class III trailer tow option. It's a terrific value.
    I stopped by the local Ford Dealer to make a service appointment for my company provided Taurus. I looked at a new 2006 Explorer XLT. One word came to mind... unremarkable. I traded in an '02 Explorer with the rear-end whine on a '05 4Runner. At least on my '02 Explorer, I got body colored door handles at no extra charge. So you pay 31K to 32K and get an ugly matte black-plastic door handle? Granted, Ford has said they have made powertrain improvments, but the first thing people notice is the appearance of a vehicle. And this redesign reminds me of the appearance of the 500....unremarkable. They had a FULLY-LOADED Explorer on the lot at 41K, you gotta be nuts to spend that on a vehicle like the Explorer. I'll drive my 4Runner for 4 or 5 years and it will still be worth more than another used Explorer. Ford is running scared in terms of styling after the Taurus disaster of several years ago.......
    Hi Chuck1,
    I agree with you about the '06 explorer being overpriced, but it's not a lot different for 4Runners. You can find $Runners listed over 41k too. The local dealers are offering over 5K off sticker on them, so I wouldn't be too confident in the resale value, depending on what you paid.
    One the great features of the '02-'05 explorers is their overall practicality. there are not too many if any other vehicles that can match it.
    It has not been trouble free, the plastic panel on the rear hatch just cracked. i guess i got away with it so long because it was always parked in a garage overnight. i have started parking it outside if i was going to take it to work. That does not change how terrific it is overall.
    No, I am not happy that I will have to pay to get it fixed. :(
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    the rear hatch was a common problem. we had ours replaced under warranty, and out of warranty it broken again. they fixed it for free.

i woould call ford and since it was a common problem see if they would fix it for free. you have nothing to lose.
    it has not been trouble free, the plastic panel on the rear hatch just cracked.

I agree with the other post. I had this replaced twice under warranty on my '02.(Along with my transmission solenoid, power window motor.) Call Ford, they may spring for it.

What really bugged me was Ford not replacing the rear end that had a whine from 55 to 65 mph. I was told it just "wasn't that bad". Well, I voted with my pocket book and bought a Toyota.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Well, I got to say, "Cant you guys negotiate?" I went to my local Ford dealership and I was able to negotiate a new 2006 Explorer V8 Limited Tri-cashmere/Black, with everything but rear entertainment for $33,500 and they were offering an extended warranty on it as well! I did not buy it since since I'm still checking out another variety of vehicles. Well good luck all!
    Suave Tequila
    negotiating a price is not a problem. i just don't like starting with that high a number (41k).
    "with everything but rear entertainment for $33,500 and they were offering an extended warranty on it as well! I did not buy it"

Sir, the reality is that the price you received doesn't mean a thing if you didn't buy it. I would suggest spending some time over on the "dealer boards" here on edmunds. Giving you a "lowball price" so you will return to that particular dealer is one of the oldest tricks in the book......
  • frieberg44frieberg44 Member Posts: 33
    If you are thinking of buying a new '06 Explorer with the V-8, kiss fuel economy goodbye. Results after driving about 3700 miles, on straight level freeway, at mostly an indicated 65-68 MPH: 16.3 MPG. In town, I averaged 12.3. OUCH !! Unless you need to tow heavy loads, skip the V-8 and get the old V-6 instead. The V-6 should be good for maybe 18-19 on the highway, and maybe 15 in town.
    The only other thing I hate about this station wagon: these CUSSED DOOR PULL HANDLES. Who the heck designed these ? It's as though they themselves never actually TRIED THEM OUT in the real world !! I have alread stoved a thumb, and sprained my wrist, trying to pull the door shut. Also, be prepared to DING UP OTHER people's doors !! These heavy doors will get away from you as you try to regrab the door after your hand hold slips off that dumb lower pull handle design. ALSO: Does anybody at FMC know how to design a 1) rear end and 2) power steering pump that doesn't WHINE itself to death (on a BRAND NEW VEHICLE) ?
    "1) rear end and 2) power steering pump that doesn't WHINE itself to death (on a BRAND NEW VEHICLE) ?"

I had the rear-end whine on my '02. They wouldn't fix it.

You know, this is one of the reasons Ford is in trouble. The cost cutting is beyond belief!
    My 2006 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD, over the first 2,700 miles has averaged, overall, 19.3 MPG. I run 75-80 on the expressway.

Except for an out-of-balance drive shaft replaced under warranty, it has been flawless ... except for the CUSSED DOOR PULL HANDLES. And it's one of the first 1,000 produced.

For those who disregard the vehicle based on appearance, drive it for an enlightening experience.
    "For those who disregard the vehicle based on appearance,'

Yea, you can pay 32K and get black plastic matte door handles on the XLT. They used to be body colored. It my understanding there isn't even an "appearance package" upgrade for this.

Yea, go drive one. Even on the base 4Runner you get body-color door handles.
    The door handles on my Mountaineer mid-line are body-color. But I had to go look to make sure.

Body-color door handles are waaaay down my priority list. 292 HP 4.6L V8, 6-speed transmission, quiet interior are near the top.

I guess I'll have to adjust my O/S mirrors so I can admire my body-color handles while driving.
    The door handles on my Mountaineer mid-line are body-color. But I had to go look to make sure.

They are not body colored on the (mid-line) XLT Explorer. Check the brochure. And well see how popular the Explorer is or isn't this next year. Ford will never see the sells numbers of the past.
    Also note that Ford's Edge crossover comes the year after Ford's long-running Explorer SUV lost the title of best-selling SUV in the country. In calendar 2005, the Explorer was passed by the midsize Chevrolet TrailBlazer in sales.

From another automotive website.
    Chuck:

I'm sincerely curious. Why do you participate on this forum?
    I'm sincerely curious. Why do you participate on this forum?

Free speech...(more or less). :)
    I participate in this discussion because I like the way we all stay on topic - which is Explorer/Mountaineer. :surprise:

tidester, host
    I asked because most forums I participate in are populated by fans of the subject vehicle with a balanced view ... commenting on positives as well as negatives. A frequent poster here seems to dwell on the negative.
    You want an Explorer positive....

Positives - It's a nice riding SUV. Lots of interior room for a midsize.

You want some negatives-

New '06 door handle is a disgrace, quality is all over the board (driven mainly by cost-cutting, in my view). The Ford philosophy of "deny there is a problem and it will go away" for warranty work issues.

I didn't make up the lost sales....I provided the link.
    Some positives that the Japanese don't have:

* 292 HP
    * Outstanding 6-speed transmission

Also, my 2006 Mountaineer, the 456-th built, is defect- and rattle-free, Fit & finish excellent, paint excellent, 7000# towing capacity.

My wife & I agree that the Ford blew it on the inside door release handles.

In 33 years with Ford, I never detected a hint of "deny there is a problem and it will go away" for warranty work issues. What's your source of information?

I know some Ford/L-M dealers behave this way, as do some dealers for ALL manufacturers ... including Japanese.
    "Outstanding 6-speed transmission"

Yes, and the five speeds were supposed to be outstanding too until the transmission solenoids starting going out.

"In 33 years with Ford, I never detected a hint of "deny there is a problem and it will go away" for warranty work issues. What's your source of information?"

Well, if your an employee your going to be treated a heck of lot better than others at the dealerships. I had that famous rear-end whine, was told it "wasn't as bad as most" and the dealer wouldn't fix it.

I am glad you have had a steady job for the past 33 years, but your ownership experience will be vastly different than most.

As far as quality is concerned, I had a rear power window motor go out (and I know you are very familiar with these issues) and guess what? It was on "national back order". So much for quality control. It was the same with the rear end. You can check the board for people who had them replaced more than once. The accumulation of miles will tell how much "quality control" there is!
  • car15car15 Member Posts: 2
    These two cars are unsafe and the front seats and they are not a good value for the money.
    "Well, if your an employee your going to be treated a heck of lot better than others at the dealerships"

There is absolutely NO truth to this statement. Please state facts, and not assumptions.

"I am glad you have had a steady job for the past 33 years, but your ownership experience will be vastly different than most."

NO truth to this either. Please stick to facts.

"Yes, and the five speeds were supposed to be outstanding too until the transmission solenoids starting going out."

Do you suppose that's one reason they went to the totally-new 6-speed?

"As far as quality is concerned, I had a rear power window motor go out (and I know you are very familiar with these issues) and guess what? It was on "national back order". So much for quality control. It was the same with the rear end. You can check the board for people who had them replaced more than once."

This part made by a supplier who also supplies Japanese vehicles. Balanced facts would be appreciated.
    These two cars are unsafe ...

I notice you didn't mention anything specific. What's the basis for your sweeping generalization?

tidester, host
    a company named 'aisin' supplies the transmission for the explorer. it also supplies transmissions to toyota, among others.
    Isn't the Asin 6-speed the one used in the front wheel drive Mazda 6, Fusion, Milan, Zephyr, Five Hundred, Montego, and Freestyle?

Isn't the one in the Explorer and Mounatineer the same on used in the Jaguar and Navigator?
    I think you're correct on the FWD transmission, although it's possible it's made in Ford's Batavia plant, or part of the joint venture with GM. I'm unsure on this one.

The RWD transmission in Explorer/Mountaineer is made at the Ford Transmission plant in Livonia, MI.

The Jag & last-year's Navigator 6-speed is essentially the same design, but made by ZF.
    "There is absolutely NO truth to this statement. Please state facts, and not assumptions.'

Your right it is an assumption. I am sure the dealership knows that you are a Ford employee, and you get better treatment than others. If they don't know your a Ford employee, and you don't tell them (which I doubt) your a better man than I am. Everybody takes care of their own, it's a fact of life. AND there is TRUTH TO THIS STATEMENT, and asking me to prove it--kinda hard... wouldn't you say?

My wife worked for a subsidiary of General motors several years ago. She purchased cars on the employee plan. As the car moved along the assembly line, it had a sticker on the window indicating an employee purchase... you don't think that a little extra care might be given to those cars? C'mon!
    Wrong again.

Whatever ...