Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Karl's Daily Log Book

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some of those subjects are discussed over in the recently unarchived Best Vehicles & Modifications for Disabled Drivers board.

Check out the 2005 Buying Guide Mobility Guide too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Thanks for replying Karl. I have another comparison test idea, featuring V6 midsize luxury SUVs, similar to the one you guys did in August 2004. My ideas for competitors would be the new Mercedes M Class, Volvo XC90, Subaru B9 Tribeca, Saab 9-7X and Lexus RX330. I was also thinking of a V6 Touareg.

BTW, have you driven the new Mark LT yet? What are some of your thoughts on it?
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    A Entry-Level Luxury Comparison test? You could round up all the big names in the $35K field including the ES330, 3-Series, C-Class, G35, etc

When's the next minivan comparison?
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Good idea about the Entry Level Luxury idea. I would like to expand the list to include the 330i, A4, ES330, C350, G35, Zephyr, S40, TL.

I guess the G35 and CTS wont be included because they were in the last comparison test.

A minivan comparison test wont come out for a while I guess. Kia and Hyundai are yet to release their vans sometime next year. Honda has introduced a new Odyssey. GM has four "new" minivans, even though they use the old platform. Sienna and Quest are the same. A new Freestar/Monterey come out in 2007. An the Chrysler vans haven't been updated since 2001 except for Stow n Go and other little things. Right now the only change since the previous test is a new Odyssey and GM vans, and an upcoming Sedona/Entourage.
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    The STi vs GTO review worked well. And in the past you guys have reviewed cars of pretty different prices and managed to work the difference into the final scores pretty fairly. Plus, we're all tired of waiting for our personal favorite cars to be compared.

So... you should hold a Mother Of All Comparison Tests. Every car available in the US today... new or used. The internet will never be the same!
  • Options
    grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    ...thanks for the feedback on the new Ford Fusion. I saw it the Harrisburg and Philadelphia auto shows. It is the first American car in its class that has caught my attention in almost a decade.
  • Options
    jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    Karl, why do some automakers place embargos on vehicles? Is it because they want consumers to be able to go straight to the dealership and look at the car for themselves, and maybe even purchase it, right when they read the review in the newspaper, magazine or website instead of having to have to wait a couple of months before the car comes out?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    TL. S40, TSX, Zephyr, A4 non-quattro, a3 2.0, es330

Putting the is250/350, 3 series, G35 and C class in those comparos just isn't fair.
  • Options
    davem2001davem2001 Member Posts: 557
    My understanding of it is, there is a 2 or 3 month "lead time" for the print magazines like Road & Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc... In order for the magazines to hit the shelves in Sept or Oct, the car companies had to share the necessary information July.

One reason for an embargo is so that people will still buy the current model year car instead of waiting for the next model.

This is sort of a legacy of the days before the Internet and back when cars pretty much only came out in the Fall.
  • Options
    levyroblevyrob Member Posts: 22
    I've always been interested in 2 kinds of comparison tests that are seldom done anymore. First, is a before and after test. Why not a direct comparison of an outgoing model with it's replacement?

The other is a "best of breed" test, perhaps as part of an overall comparison test. Even though some cars have similar underpinnings, it would be interesting to incorporate them into a comparison test. For example, the Malibu, Malibu Maxx, and G6 are all similar - what if they were all part of a like-themed comparison with their competitors? You could even throw the Saab in there to mix things up!

Other examples are TSX, Accord, and Acura TL. Or at least the Accord and TL. They share a lot, so it would be interesting to see how they compared. Even the Camry and ES330. Is it worth the savings to go with the lesser nameplate.

With so many sedans getting up-sized, it would be interesting to compare the original LS400 with a new ES330. They now share a similar price point from a dollars perspective.

Just some food for thought before a long holiday weekend.
  • Options
    editor_karleditor_karl Member Posts: 418
    And the GP GXP - still on the schedule for early July, I hope?

Yup, GXP still scheduled for mid July, but story will go up about 19 days later.
  • Options
    BTW, have you driven the new Mark LT yet? What are some of your thoughts on it?

Yes, I've driven it and we just posted a road test here. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=106231

I should be able to say something sarcastic, like "It's the nicest F-150 I've ever driven" but I can't even say that. The F-150 handled better (probably a function of both less weight and stiffer suspension) and the price increase for the LT was not justified in my opinion.

I sense Blackwood part deux.
  • Options
    So... you should hold a Mother Of All Comparison Tests. Every car available in the US today... new or used. The internet will never be the same!

We sort of do that every year by updating all of our overview content (1,000 words on every model sold in the U.S.) along with our Most Wanted voting. The Most Wanted voting involves analyzing each major vehicle segment closely and deciding which model we like the best.

BTW, we just did our preliminary MW voting today for 15 of the 27 categories (the other 12 we can't vote on until we get seat time in one or more new/updated models from the category).

I can tell you this...a few suprises, but so far most of the winners are the usual suspects. It wasn't until we started voting that I realized -- 2006 isn't really banner year in terms of lots of new/interesting product. I mean, you have an all-new 3 Series...but everyone already loved the old one, so it's not like a major shift is going to occur in that segment (unlike, say, when the current Altima came out, and suddenly the Accord/Camry were not the obvious choices in that category anymore). Of course, the new Sonata is shaking up that category again...
  • Options
    Just some food for thought before a long holiday weekend.

All very good ideas. Several years ago I wanted to do a story pitting the (then new) Lincoln LS against the Jaguar S-Type. I finally did it, and it was interseting. I actually hopped back-and-forth between cars and noted where switchgear was identical, not to mention driving them back-to-back on the same roads. The theme of the story was "Is the Jaguar worth the extra money?" Here's the link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=44139
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I guess I'm a bit of an oddity. I've never liked large vehicles. An early car I owned was an '85 Jetta. I had always said, in as early as those days - "I wish they would make a car the size of the Jetta, but not a cheap car - loaded, with agile handling and good amenities". The car that eventually met those criteria was my 1998 Audi A4 - just the right blend (for me) of sport and luxury.

So now I'm older and I sometimes want more storage. But I still hate large vehicles. I DON'T like big SUVs. When I was looking for my newest car (a 2005 TL, by the way, which is almost too large), I thought about getting a small, luxurious, but decent handling SUV. I think the size of the Honda CR-V is just about perfect - pretty roomy but not ponderous in size. So I looked at the BMW X3 when it first came out, and it was too stiff (even for me) and not luxurious enough for a vehicle that options out around $45K. So I got the TL.

This leads me to my question - Karl, it appears that the market is about to explode in this category. The Acura RDX (CRV-sized luxury SUV) is due out next year, and there are a lot of other contenders coming out shortly after that. With gas prices going up, is it not likely we'll see this become a big market segment? I would think this is a great comparo area in 1-2 years. I'm eager to see what the manufacturers finally come out with in this area. Just as we've gone from a dearth of small, NICE, sporty sedans to more premium vehicles like the Jetta, TSX, A4, S40/S60 - it seems like we will finally see this happen in the SUV space.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    karl....is it just me or does it seem BMW is going backwards as far as the older 3, 5, 7 series being more to the media's liking than their new offerings of the same models? Your opinion as to what's going on with BMW these days?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    This leads me to my question - Karl, it appears that the market is about to explode in this category. The Acura RDX (CRV-sized luxury SUV) is due out next year, and there are a lot of other contenders coming out shortly after that. With gas prices going up, is it not likely we'll see this become a big market segment?

I think this has already started. You metion the upcoming RDX, but what about the Mazda 6 wagon, the Kia Spectra5 and the Audi A3? I know there aren't considered SUVs, but the basic philosophy is the same -- maximum interior space/utility with minimum exterior size/weight.

You can count on more vehicles along these lines. Whether they are premium badged SUVs (based on car platforms, like the RDX) or non-premium wagons, the idea of giving people more utility without requiring truck-based ride, handling and fuel mileage side effects is the wave of the future.
  • Options
    Your opinion as to what's going on with BMW these days?

BMW is under the same pressure as every major manufacturer -- stand out in an ultra-competitive market. This issue is even more pressing for premium automakers because many of the things that used to set them apart (heated seats, nav systems, quality sound systems, etc.) can be had on $25,000 sedans. Now throw in the rising Euro, which puts the German brands at a pricing disadvantage, and you have a very difficult atmosphere in which to sell cars.

All the premium German brands (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) are trying to differentiate themselves to grab buyers' attention. And they are using two basic tactics to do this: high-tech gadgets and unconventional styling.

In BMW's case, I'm not thrilled with their execution of either tactic in recent years. I don't particularly like the current 5 Series, 7 Series or Z4 in terms of styling. The new 3 is fine, which at this point is a compliment for BMW. On the technology side, neither iDrive nor active steering appeal to me. I can live with both of them, but I don't consider them a "competitive advantage," which is undoubtedly the reason BMW put the time/money into developing them.

That said, the cars remain the best German offerings in terms of pure driving enjoyment. But if I were spending my own money, I'd find a nice, used (and certified) 3, 5 or 7 Series rather than buy a new one. That tactic is a good idea for any model in terms of pure financial wisdom, but with the latest BMWs there a bonus that goes beyond the financial element -- you actually get a better version of each car, at least in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Karl-

Edmunds now has spy photos of the 06 Civic -

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106351#5

Are these really "spy" photos?? Or just images released by Honda? If you look at the pictures of the coupe and sedan they were taken in exactly the same spot - check the background. Now obviously this is possible, but somehow seems a little too coincidental.

I guess what I am asking is - do manufacturers release "spy" photos in hope of getting some good publicity?

When the images of the C6 on the car carrier were released the buzz was enormous for Chevrolet - talk about fantastic and free publicity. I think GM released those images - just my opinion.
  • Options
    I came across this unsettling line in Edmunds new Miata review:

"I dug the first-generation MX-5 Miata but, frankly, the second generation didn't do much for me — it was a poser and a business proposition, kind of like every generation of post-'60s Ford Mustang."

For the love of god, please don't lower Edmunds.com to the level of Internet idiots. The word the author meant to use was "poseur." It's only because tools commonly misspell the word that we're now seeing the moron spelling become acceptable (reminds me of how people turned "irregardless" into a word that's now in dictionaries too!).

:mad:
  • Options
    It's only because tools commonly misspell the word

Did you mean "fools" Blueguydotcom?

If you meant a spell checker tool, well ... okay then. :)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    How was the second-generation Miata a poseur? (however you spell it)

(note to webmaster: I can't find information on the 2005 Miata. I know it's the same as 2004, but it could've not been. "New cars" takes you to the 2006 MX-5, but "Used cars" only has 2004 and earlier.)

I think the poseurs will be the GM twins. Awesome looks, but too porky to do what roadsters are meant to do. They'll sell like hotcakes.
  • Options
    davem2001davem2001 Member Posts: 557
    What is that "thing" in the middle of the grille? I hope that is just a disguise.... It looks like a Mitsubishi
  • Options
    Did you mean "fools" Blueguydotcom?

No, I wrote exactly what I meant. Tool is common slang in southern California used to describe ignorant people. At this point I've heard usage of the term in that sense slip into late night shows originating from New York such as "The Daily Show" and "Conan O'Brien" and even a few movies. It's not that uncommon nationally, tthough in this part of the country I've heard it for close to 15 years.
  • Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I don't know about Southern California, but in the rest of the country "tool" is slang for a penis. It just so happens that ignorant people get called by that term.
  • Options
    I killed my tv a few years back and I guess I'm falling behind in the vernacular. It does put a new slant on the What's the Coolest Tool in Your Garage? discussion. fwiw, Answers.com gives the same meaning for poser/poseur.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ejjejj Member Posts: 36
    Tool is a dude w/o a clue...in MN.
  • Options
    I know that "poser" has become an accepted spelling of poseur just as "irregardless" is now in the dictionary as a synonym for regardless. Doesn't change my feelings about the word and how it's ubiquitous misuse eventually made it an accepted spelling. I'm going to curl up and die the day I see "your" in the dictionary as a synonym for you're (a very common web error that is considered no big deal by the entitlement and y generations).

:D
  • Options
    docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I agree with you about spelling and grammar in today's internet-enabled world. But be careful about grouping the y generation with the entitlement generation. Every generation feels entitled to something; therefore, we are all the entitlement generation. My grandparents felt entitled to many things just as my kids do...that didn't make them right just as it doesn't make my kids right.
  • Options
    The nice thing about English is that there's no Academie Francais or Academie Bluedotcomguy telling us that we can't say ain't.

;)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    To each his own. I actually admire the French for protecting their language. :D

Back to our regular programming...I'm very excited about the prospect of driving a new Miata. While I like the e90 330i, I think I may take a pass on it for 3 years and get something else as a stopgap until the M3 sedan comes to market.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Question, Karl... given the immovable decreasing space on public highways ..vs... irresistible force of ever increasing horsepower/performance in vehicles;

How long before some investment group sees the light and designs a true autobahn-style TOLL road within or connecting major USA cities? One allowing speeds well over 100 mph depending on layout and circumstances? One on which only certain cars would be allowed (many USA cars couldn't even get to 120 mph !!).

Such roads would pose interesting challenges for driver education, licensing, and insurance, don't you think? Especially as crashing into anything at those speeds will most likely be fatal.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    if the next m3 is only available with smg, then i suppose it will be considered a poseur, poser, or whatever by the failthful.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Considering the M5 and M6 come with smg and manuals, it's likely the m3 will also. Regardless, if BMW does manage to make a DSG-like device (not their horrible SMG), I'll gladly go for DSG.
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Considering the M5 and M6 come with smg and manuals, it's likely the m3 will also. Regardless, if BMW does manage to make a DSG-like device (not their horrible SMG), I'll gladly go for DSG.

So is it safe to say that the DSG is the flavour of the month? What with Audi coming out with it recently on their A3? Or would it be better calling it a poseur?
    Good luck with the M3 wait...I'm sure it will be a labour of love.
    :-)
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Ain't gonna happen. Don't you think the states would still have some say-so in what is allowed with regard to speed limits? Just because the roads are private doesn't mean that the states couldn't regulate them.

BTW, what is it with confusing "lose" with "loose," as in "I'm going to loose it." Or "BMW is loosing its edge."
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    BTW, what is it with confusing "lose" with "loose," as in "I'm going to loose it." Or "BMW is loosing its edge."

I don't know about you, but I went into Ricki Ricardo mode after reading that. :-)

"Lucy, Yoo are going to make me loose it!"

LOL
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Ah, maybe you hit the nail on the head, it's Spanglish! :D
  • Options
    Well, given most states are strapped for road funds, and WashingtonDC has little money for roads, articles in various biz magazines highlight efforts to create Toll roads in the USA to handle the traffic load.
    So why not expand the concept and build some of them to enthusasist specifications, and toll them accordingly?

Also keep in mind a properly build new road should be smooooooooooth, and very friendly to the track-sprung performance cars folks want to drive these days.
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Modern Marvels on History Channel had a thing on the Autobahn last week. I missed it but hope to catch a rerun. It looked like it might have been interesting.
  • Options
    rl81rl81 Member Posts: 53
    I admit the idea is very tempting.
    In order to make something like that work, we would need some kind of liability waiver because no insurance company would want to underwrite that risk, I guess.
    Everyone who has driven on the Autobahn knows that you won't drive that fast at all unless you are in a remote area, or it's night. More and more streches have restrictions nowadays. I think about half is restricted right now. So, what I want to say is that rush hour in the metro areas is just as bad as in other countries. Also think that the cost of gas makes people think twice about going extremly fast (plus there are so many small cars that don't have much power to begin with)
    There are also many problems with such a proposition (although I really like the idea). Many people are not trained to drive at high speeds (in addition, the general driving training for teenagers is a joke to begin with). Many cars are not made with such speeds in mind. The cost might be too high.
    However, I believe that many people, especially in large Metro areas would find such a proposition very interesting. I am thinking of like SFO-LA, Boston-NYC-W-DC...Chicago-Detroit...
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Here in Colorado, we just had a big debate on a privately financed toll road that would run parallel to, but about 20-30 miles east of, I-25.

The proposal, details of which can be found here, is to run from Fort Collins to Pueblo and offer an 85 MPH speed limit. Access would be controlled much like a turnpike.

The only issue with this is the fact that the organization that is proposing this wants to have eminent domain powers to acquire the land on which to build. This, as you can well imagine, has not gove over well with the folks who currently own the land.
  • Options
    sounds pretty good.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=106352

One mistake - the Aero has a 2.8 not a 2.5 like the article states.
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    I would definitely pay a toll fee and, if necessary, more money for an "advanced" license. If the road was good enough, and the speed limit high enough, I would consider paying up to a grand for this privilege. I wonder if anyone else feels the same.

Only thing is, wouldn't this just further cripple the airline industry?
  • Options
    Where are you??? Did you leave us????
  • Options
    Given recent Supreme Court ruleings, I'm surprised they don't have eminent domain already, assuming they can prove their project will benefit public welfare ("folks won't be wasting time sitting in traffic anymore! Their quality of life will greatly improve").
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Well, several hundred folks showed up for the initial hearings -- about 95% of them were against the idea.

However, the issue is not completely dead. The governor has taken steps to keep the idea alive, so it will probably come up in the next legislative session in 2006.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Where are you??? Did you leave us???? "

I'll bet he is out (test) driving that GXP.
    - Ray
    Wishing that was where I was (driving MINE, I mean) . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    Karl,

In the course of a discussion on the SUV vs. Minivans forum, the link to your SUV article was posted. I came across this paragraph of yours:

For a long time, I've been convinced that the people who attack symbols of success are the same people who don't plan on ever being successful themselves. They figure they'll never be faced with having their income severely taxed or their SUV taken away, so they don't mind the idea of it happening to others. In fact, they sort of like the idea of "sticking it to those rotten rich people."

You actually think that the people opposed to SUVs are those who are failures in life and have no money? An SUV is a symbol of success? I am a great fan of all the technical reviews and comments you write when you road test cars but I absolutely couldnt disagree more with you. Everybody and his mom can buy an SUV these days. It is no symbol of success. I can understand people bitching about Ferrari owners, but SUVs? What completely annoys me about SUV owners is their sense of entitlement and, as shown by market research conducted by Chrysler, Honda, Ford and Gm (once again, if their senior executives were lying then please pardon me) the desire to 'control' others. I have come across more than one gleeful post about how peopl move out of their way.

And what completely enrages me is an association like suvoa.com The California Air Board's emissions regulations would impact all vehicles having an internal combustion engine equally. I dont see sports car owners crying foul that they will lose all their power or utility. But this one groups of people does. Why resort to special tactics to evade emission norms? What makes them different?
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I dont see sports car owners crying foul that they will lose all their power or utility. But this one groups of people does. Why resort to special tactics to evade emission norms? What makes them different?

Well, a few things do. Sports car owners have never had people vilify them for owning sports cars, to the point where they are accused of paying for terrorism in TV ads. So there's no need for them to form a national group to defend themselves. I'm sure if there was we'd have a group like sportoa.com or something. Also, there are a lot more SUV owners than sports car owners. Basically, SUV owners feel, rightly, that they are being singled out because their vehicles are the ones that will end up costing a lot more, not "all vehicles". The PZEV Ford Focus won't have to change one iota, for example. Personally, I think there are a lot of self-righteous environmentalist out there with few or no kids driving around in mini-cars and arrogantly thinking that if it works for them, it should work for everyone.

For the record, I do not own an SUV or ever plan to, but I do understand why some people want them. And I'm okay with it.
This discussion has been closed.