Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick LaCrosse Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited September 2011
    Just read on MSN [http://money.msn.com/saving-money/5-things-car-salesmen-will-not-say-weston- .asp- x?page=2] that you get the best price from internet department when buying an automobile.

According to the article… “Most car shoppers use the Internet to do at least some of their research. When it's time to buy a car, though, the majority still head to dealerships to match wits with salespeople. What people typically don't understand is that the car buying is more transparent, and salespeople have more authority, in the dealerships' Internet departments, Reed said. You don't have to cool your heels in a salesperson's office for 45 minutes while he or she "checks with the boss" on every aspect of your negotiation.

The Internet department salespeople know what the bottom-line prices are for the cars they sell and usually are authorized to cut deals without checking in with superiors. You can take advantage of this setup in two ways. From the comfort of your home, you can solicit lowest-price quotes on a car from a bunch of dealerships at once. Or, if you insist on going to a car lot, you can simply ask for the Internet department when you walk through the doors and skip the usual hustle.”

I tried the internet route but they didn’t treat me as a serious buyer so I nixed that approach and drove straight to the dealer. What’s your experience? Did you use the internet or brick and mortar approach?
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    "Did you use the internet or brick and mortar approach? "

I bought a new LaCrosse this month and used both. I did request Internet quotes on several GM and Ford models. Some dealers did not bother to respond but most did. Of those that did respond, a couple did not want to give a quote and only tried to get me in for a test drive. :(

The Internet approach can take some of the haggling out of buying, even when you have a trade. You can get the best cash price upfront and then all you need to do is hammer out an agreement on your trade-in. I like that.

I believe people would make more visits to car dealerships during business hours if the "traditional" selling approach was scrapped. I test drove 5 cars at 3 different dealerships this month before buying. The one with the pressure approach didn't get my business. That said, a low key salesman who lets the car sell itself, along with an inviting atmosphere inside and outside the store,can make any sales model work.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you focused on telematics (Sync, OnStar, etc) or ignored it completely in your 2011 car-shopping experience, email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, October 17, 2011 and include your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    knackllknackll Member Posts: 21
    Hello-its been a while since I made a new car purchase and I am interested in a 2013 Buick Lacrosse. I was wondering how much should I be able to get off an msrp. of $35480? Also, I will be financing the loan and was wondering what the rates and terms are through gm for 60 & 70 months respectfully.

What are other people getting off the msrp?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Knackll
  • Options
    rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    Don't negotiate down from msrp. Negotiate up from invoice. There are plenty of online sources. Then also check for rebates, those are not dealer money.
  • Options
    My intention is to understand what dealers are selling below msrp. I will do homework on invoice but my question was simply what to expect to be reasonable and what would be waste of time when it comes to price variance. Can i expect $1000, 2,000,3,000 off?
    Just wondering what people are getting.
    Thank you
  • Options
    rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    I got $4000 off. Now you need to know what time of year I bought, if I leased or not, which rebates I was eligible for (conquest, loyaty, military, new college grad, slow selling model, leasee only, which State, how many dealers within 15 miles etc etc.)

You will find that more comes off on a $40,000 model than on a $32,00 model.

Try the Kelly "True Market price" info or visit two dealers and see for yourself. You could always send out ten emails to the Internet Sales Managers.
  • Options
    I completely understand, about the price diiferential from a higher priced to a lower priced. I just didn't want to go in and expect 5-6 thou. Off when they are only giving 2. As for rebates and incentives ill check those out. The vehicle msrp is 35260 tey are advertising internet 33260. Im sure it includes all incentives. Id like to get that vehicle out the door for 31500 if possible. Not sure if they come down that low.
    Thanks for advice.
  • Options
    Ok, so I have spent the better part of the month looking at and getting quotes on the 2012 & 2013 Lacrosse. What I have seen price wise really depends on individual circumstances. If you have a non gm car you will save an additional 2000. If you are an employee you will save 2000 possibly more. If you are a loyal repeat gm customer your out of luck. GM has sought out to try to bring over new non gm customers rather than focus on keeping existing loyal customers happy as well. I've been able to get a quote as low as $30,500 (before tax,title does include rebates) on a 2012 premium 3. I do believe that to be a good pice from what I have seen. As for 2013, I focused on the "Touring" model and the best At this point is $36,000. Now both of these are new non-titled vehicles. If you are one of the few that qualify for the additional savings mentioned above, you can reduce the amount by 2k more. I have to tell you I'm pretty bitter that gm gives a better deal to some one who never did business with them vs. someone like me who has been a loyal customer over last past 3 decades. They should have a rebate that not only lures non-gm customers but rewards the returning loyal ones as well. I have spoken to gm marketing and customer service, and both agree there has been some back lash about not offering a loyalty rebate. It may be coming soon. Anyway, 2014's are coming out this summer and there is a plentiful supply of 2012 and glut of 2013's that should start being heavily discounted to be moved before the 2014 hit the showrooms. I'm patiently waiting.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Did you recently purchase a car from the Detroit 3 (GM, Ford or Chrysler) after avoiding these domestic vehicles in the past? What made you change your mind? A reporter would like to ask about your experience. If you can help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Friday April 26th 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews