hard shifts, turning off and now Melted battery and positive terminal HELP!

CiaraRoxanneCiaraRoxanne Scottsdale, AZMember Posts: 1
edited August 2016 in Hyundai
I don't know if anyone has any information or similar issue but, I seem to have a doozy!

I would love to know your thoughts? Experience? What you would do in my situation? Thank you so much in advance.

Car Background: I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that I bought preowned about 2.5yrs ago maybe. I currently have about 74k miles on it.

Issues:
1.) I have taken it into the dealership multiple times for what seems like a hard shift (jerk) when I slow down then speed up. It doesn't always happen. <<<$120 & I am told user error the computer says nothing and we can't duplicate it>>>
2.) It keeps happening randomly after 2 mo, this time I know I didn't "accidentally" knock it into manual. <<<$120 & I am told they can't duplicate it and nothing is on the computer>>>
3.) I am in a drive through and my car doesn't switch into gas mode. I have the pedal to the floor and nothing. It is barely moving on "EV" mode. I pull off the main street scared [non-permissible content removed]. Turn my car on and off. Goes back to normal. I take it in to the dealership and sure enough the result <<<$120 & I am told they have no clue the computer says nothing>>>
4.) My car turns off on me again. I try to turn it on, it says the key fob isn't working. I quickly change it out with another battery from another item. Still nothing after inserting the key. I am thinking I need a jump at this point. I smell something funny and see smoke from my trunk. I open up my trunk (bad smell of sulphur) and my battery is completely corroded, sizzling & smoking under the positive terminal. <<<Dealership - doesn't know why this is happening. Say i have to pay $2100 for a new battery and terminal w/cable + labor. Then they can figure out where it is coming from. Nothing is under "warranty".>>> So $2100 and I may have to pay more on top of it. *My car doesn't run at all*

This car is obviously unsafe to drive. Thankfully it didnt' become anything more serious on the highway instead of a neighborhood.

What would you do? What are your thoughts? Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 64,482
    Looks like this battery was the cause of the problems to begin with. Why does it cost $2100 to replace a normal 12V battery? I don't get that.