Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

hard shifts, turning off and now Melted battery and positive terminal HELP!

CiaraRoxanneCiaraRoxanne Member Posts: 1
edited August 2016 in Hyundai
I don't know if anyone has any information or similar issue but, I seem to have a doozy!

I would love to know your thoughts? Experience? What you would do in my situation? Thank you so much in advance.

Car Background: I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that I bought preowned about 2.5yrs ago maybe. I currently have about 74k miles on it.

Issues:
1.) I have taken it into the dealership multiple times for what seems like a hard shift (jerk) when I slow down then speed up. It doesn't always happen. <<<$120 & I am told user error the computer says nothing and we can't duplicate it>>>
2.) It keeps happening randomly after 2 mo, this time I know I didn't "accidentally" knock it into manual. <<<$120 & I am told they can't duplicate it and nothing is on the computer>>>
3.) I am in a drive through and my car doesn't switch into gas mode. I have the pedal to the floor and nothing. It is barely moving on "EV" mode. I pull off the main street scared [non-permissible content removed]. Turn my car on and off. Goes back to normal. I take it in to the dealership and sure enough the result <<<$120 & I am told they have no clue the computer says nothing>>>
4.) My car turns off on me again. I try to turn it on, it says the key fob isn't working. I quickly change it out with another battery from another item. Still nothing after inserting the key. I am thinking I need a jump at this point. I smell something funny and see smoke from my trunk. I open up my trunk (bad smell of sulphur) and my battery is completely corroded, sizzling & smoking under the positive terminal. <<<Dealership - doesn't know why this is happening. Say i have to pay $2100 for a new battery and terminal w/cable + labor. Then they can figure out where it is coming from. Nothing is under "warranty".>>> So $2100 and I may have to pay more on top of it. *My car doesn't run at all*

This car is obviously unsafe to drive. Thankfully it didnt' become anything more serious on the highway instead of a neighborhood.

What would you do? What are your thoughts? Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Looks like this battery was the cause of the problems to begin with. Why does it cost $2100 to replace a normal 12V battery? I don't get that.