Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Breathe Easy: Int. & Exh. Headers + Mufflers and Pipes

2»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think only if you use a free flow catalytic. If you just attach pipes to your existing catalytic, I think you'll get more noise and very little HP.

Again, you have to think of your car's engine as part of a LONG pipe...starting from the air intake to the air filter and ending at the tailpipe. If you don't do stuff in the middle, doing things at either end really can't alter the situation a great deal....a little but not much if you look at it this way.
  • ruffroadruffroad Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys,

As known with the 5.4s I have exhaust manifold problems/ w/studs. The passenger's side has a crack in it and the drivers side needs to be removed, magnafluxed/planed and put back on. Should I replace them with headers or replace/repair/ the stock ones. If headers are the trick, what about sensors and stuff- one hypo shop says they aren't an issue, but a Ford dealer says my engine light would be onall the time (Ford dealer I believe was assuming). One guy told me to keep stock remove the muffler and run straight back off the cat. (sounds gay)Should I take out the y-pipe and run duals to the back? What has someone tried and figured out before I spend time and money with this thing- I want to get more HP out of it if the price is all the same. Am swapping in a Airaid air intake system too.
  • danno324danno324 Member Posts: 2
    Hey can anyone help me find a company that makes a performance intake or a universal do it your self kit for my 1986 325? I have checked all the main companies like k&n, AEM, Injen ect. and have had no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks Dan.
    try these guys:

http://www.bavauto.com/
  • danno324danno324 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, holy crap man these guys have everything! Thank you for the really big help. :)
  • boemersonboemerson Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 v6 Mustang with a JBA Dual exit exhaust. I can't stand the way it sounds now. It is loud and sounds like sport compact. Is there any way I can get it to hum like a V8 or am I dreaming?
  • lhsbaseball241lhsbaseball241 Member Posts: 1
    Hey i need to know what is the best type of header to get for my car, also what would be a great way to get the most HP gain for my car. I have a 2001 Honda Civic Ex 1.7L SOHC Vtech with a short ram AEM cold air intake and a Full Exhaust system. Im wondering what the best type of header with the most power gain. Is there anything else i should invest my money into to get more power.

Maybe a set of Flowmasters with a diameter equal to the diameter of stock but a flow-through design. I don't think you'll quite get the pulse of a V8 but you might get rid of the fartcan sound.
    I think if you are going to go into a full intake header than you'll need to upgrade the engine internals to some extent.

Think of your system as ONE LONG TUBE....you can open one end and then the other end but as you can see, if you don't do something to the middle, the returns diminish rapidly no matter how much you spend opening the ends.

I don't know enough to advise you on how you might cam this motor but you need to think this out in terms of a total process...if you are putting more and more air into the engine then you need more fuel to get more power. The only real "power" in air is if you turbocharge, and even there you'll need intercooling and bigger injectors to tame all that hot air.

I'm sure the many vtec boards have figured all this out.
  • tgwjrx06tgwjrx06 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone here know where I can find tuning products for the '05 5.7L HEMI?

I am looking particularly for headers and a supercharger and possibly a way to disable the governor's chip? I top out at around 110/115? I am fairly new to this so looking for all the help i can get to make my JGC as quick as possible (I got the 5.7L cause I wanted the tow package just in case (I live in PA) otherwise I would have got an SRT-8) But it is nice to take off the emblems on the back and watch the rice-burners cry

Currently I have:
    AIR-AID Mass/Cold air intake w/tube
    BORLA Cat-back exhaust
    JET Stage-1 Chip
  • maasy13maasy13 Member Posts: 6
    i need to find out where it is or to find out what is making my computer to show this code. :lemon:
  • 944s944s Member Posts: 42
    i have a quick question in regards to emissions,, im in the state of arizona,, and i have a '99 pontiac sunfire and i have to register it,,, i think theyre going to do an emissions test,, i havent really done that much to it,,, i added an AEM short ram intake and replaced the breather hose on the valve cover with a mini cone filter. will that make me fail??? i still have the stock air cleaner/intake.. please let me know!
    thx
    -Kobalt25k
    This is a question where you need to go right to the source, since all state laws vary and laws even vary from city to city.

here's a good reference site for you, and it has a # you can call to ask this question:

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/index.html
  • 944s944s Member Posts: 42
    hey thanx a lot appreciate it!
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I recently had a coupler joint in my exhaust system rust through, this on a 4 year old car. Anyway, I swear that I got better gas mileage when it was broken than when when it was whole. I have a dual exhaust system. Is that possible?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's definitely possible. Try disconnecting it and try again! :)

-mike
    That can happen. It depends on the size of your exhaust pipe and how much/little back pressure you get without the muffler.

That's why I tell people there is NO power in a muffler or a free-flow air filter. Usually you get the most power by removing both of them, so they can't "create" horsepower, then can only release a little more that might (or might not) be trapped in your engine.
  • mrcav99mrcav99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a customer with a 1999 Chevy Cavalier 2.2. A Cold Air and throttle body spacer
    was installed and now when you accelerate hard from a rolling start the temp gauge drops to near zero (acts like a vacuum gauge dropping to zero under full throttle). Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks, Ben :confuse:
  • sebemismnusasebemismnusa Member Posts: 23
    What I have: 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with front wheel drive, 3.3 liter 6 cylinder as found in many Highlanders.

Would a higher flow exhaust system, for example a Flowmaster muffler series 50 or 60 help, in addition to removing the twists and turns in a Highlander's exhaust system ? I have not found any catback systems for Highlanders. Would I really have to replace the catalytic converter, too? Or how would I know if the stock catalytic converter impedes exhaust gas flow? I also assume there are EPA regulations on catalytic converter replacements, too.
    End
  • acuramarcacuramarc Member Posts: 4
    i have a 99 acura 3.2 tl. looking to add headers, intake and exhaust. looking for a shop in the riverside,ca area or near by areas.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have a rating service now - Get ratings & reviews on car dealers & repair shops in your neighborhood. Click and Clack have one too. If you find a performance shop, please add it to our list.
  • bsissibsissi Member Posts: 14
    I am looking for any feedback on after market muffler systems, like Speedtech or others. I have visited two different websites for two different manufacturers which include video/audio bytes of the products as installed and driven. Any dos or don'ts or advice? Performance and sound seem to be the "plus"
This discussion has been closed.