Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Repair or replace my 1999 Grand Marquis LS

rumpoledrumpoled Member Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Mercury
Like to ask for your opinion on whether I should replace my 1999 Grand Marquis LS or purchase a newer car. Purchased it in 2008 and had new tires, brakes, and a tune-up done. At the time of purchase it had 85,000 miles on it and it now has 172,387. The engine has an oil leak (think it is leaking from the oil filter gasket) and after rotating the tires last month it started pulling slightly to the right. I switched the front tires around and it pulls less to the right since I did that. Others that I spoke with (not mechanics but backyard mechanics) tell me to get rid of it (body is in great shape). They tell me it will need a wheel alignment, shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints, and I know that the engine oil leak will have to be repaired. When I look at the cost of a newer car to use as our second car the prices are nuts! I've looked at 2008 through 2012 and the prices range from $7,000 to over $21,000 depending on the make and model of the car. Can you please tell me your opinion what should be replaced on the Grand Marquis and the estimated cost of everything, if possible, or do you think I should bite the bullet and just purchase a newer car? I love this Grand Marquis. It has been very good for all these years and we have maintained it well. Thank you very much for your time and help!

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    A car won't last forever, and at 172K miles, your car is just about used up. No one can diagnose what it needs or might need, without an inspection. I would be inclined to shop for another car.

It was 9 years old when you bought it, and you've had it eight years. That's a long life.

2012 vehicles are only 4-5 years old. That's a substantially newer vehicle than the one you bought the last time. I'm not surprised that the prices are much higher.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I tend to agree that 172K miles is a lot for a car, and it would be normal for it to need a bunch of work.

However, if you want to feel better about making a decision, I would pay for a complete mechanical inspection, especially of front suspension parts. Bad ball joints or tie rods are a safety issue, keep in mind.

As for the oil leak, that could be something pretty simple. Putting it up on a lift should find that.

So, once you know what the immediate needs of the car are, and what it will cost to correct them (without going overboard--remember you aren't *restoring* this car, just making it safe enough and reliable enough), you can decide what to do.

Your car has very little value so that's another consideration. Any money you put into it won't make it worth a dime more--the only return you'll get on your investment would be further use.

• Options
    rumpoledrumpoled Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to both kyfdx and Mr_Shiftright for your replies to my question. I guess it is about time to replace the car but I do like it. Never had a breakdown in all the years I owned it. Had a flat tire when I ran over a board once and had to replace the belt due to its squeeking but other than that, no problems.

Will have to give in to the wife's wishes and buy another second car to use. Thank you again for your time and help. Much appreciated!