Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander

Comments

• ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    To answer your gas card question first: To my knowledge there is no fine print. Yesterday I called the 800 number, registered for it and was told and emailed that it would be here in about 30 days. It is a debit card with a value of $2369 (or $2396 can't remember the exact number) that you can use anywhere VISA is accepted. So while called a gas card it is really a rebate sent out in the form of a debit card.

As for the deal I got: It could be that nobody else is buying these since I have yet to see another one on the street (which I like by the way), who knows?. But I was also at the dealership for 5 hours negotaiting eventually with the president of the family of dealerships himself since he was there. Last car I bought, an '04 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible, I got for about $2500 below invoice as well.

And you also have to look at it from the dealer's point of view. OK maybe he loses $1000 on the deal. But he makes you happy, you tell you friends about it, they go buy from him. Also, you have thousands of dollars of in maintenance/warranty work over the next few years. Who will most likely service your car? The dealer who sold it to you, especially again if he makes you happy.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I'd be very very carful about talking ill of a drive and his Jeep that was helping me out. I can't be everywhere at one time. Let me tell you I don't know how the Explorers and Ford would have made it this long if it hadn't been for the fact that I was born on a planet that was had an average temp or 55 below. Haven't you ever seen the movie about me? (My dad looks like Marlin Brando doesn't he?)

Anyway, my mom and dad, may they rest in peace, had to send me to earth in a rocket, but there was no room for them. I can tell you there were no Ford Explorers on my former planet,too much snow, but there were plenty of Jeep GC. You may have seem an earthly TV ad some time ago that showed me and my JGC going into my ice cave. That is no Joke!

Anyway, I'm always pulling Ford Explorers out of the snow, and I just don't have time to get them all, so there are special groups of Jeep Drivers who have donated their time to pull Fords out!

Why do you think Ford named the upscale Explorer the Eddie Baure? So everyone could wear that Great Eddie Bauer out door clothing to keep from freezing until the Jeep Rescue Squad got their to pull them out!

Anyway, some day you will need us too Mr ExplorerX4 Man. So remember, as your slipping on that down filled Eddie Bauer set of Ski pants and Jacket, Clark Kent in a Jeep will pull up to save you. And, since I can't seem to find any phone booths in a snow storm, you will never know if the guy in the Jeep that tows your Explorer in is the real superman from another planet, ie: me, or just your average Superman that drives a Jeep!

CK ;)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    12" of snow, and no 4WD was needed? That's a little far-fetched even for you explorerx4. Unless you meant that the streets were clear and the snow was off to the side, the story isn't the least bit crediable.

As for the Exploders I rescued, 2 of them were between '02 and '05 XLT's and EB's( can't give exact years because they all look alike, absolutely no differentation) and the others were older late '90s models, all in good condition. Drop the price on the Commander? How about lower the price of admission on the Exploders and maybe they'll regain the top spot because as of right know they've outpriced and outclassed themsleves.

P.S.- This Jeep fantasy island is a great place. The Jeep is for those who have and the have mores and the Exploder is for those who have less(on all accounts).:P
  • rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    The front end of the Commander looks like it has a terminal case of lockjaw.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder - but these eyes think this shoebox-on-wheels is for the optically challenged. It is one UGLY truck!

The same ones have been sitting on the dealers lots for WEEKS now...can't seem to give them away...I'll take a classy-looking JGC anytime over this 80's style sales-loser. But then some people bought the AMC Pacer....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You said that already. Several times now. If you don't like the Jeep, move on to the Hummer or something. Reposting just looks like you are trolling and Commander fans are enjoying talking about it too much to take the bait.

Steve, Host
  • horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    Permit me give you an honest opinion regarding Pilots and Highlander. Both are great SUV's However when it comes to towing both SUV's are only good to tow a "wheelbarrow" behind them in comparison to the Commander, Durango or Jeep Grand Jerokee. The Hemi is extremly smooth and a very durable engine. Pilots and Highlanders are not working horses. They are people movers. I hope this helps.
    Horst
    Opinions....... Opinions are great. Opinions are a part of the human anatomy. HOWEVER, blasphemy isn't. Saying the Commander is just plain "ugly" is, well quite frankly, the slanted opinion of someone who has yet to even drive the Commander(still waiting on my answer).

Shoebox-on-wheels? At last check, most SUV's are squared-off, albeit not quite as square as the "different" Commander, hence this would make them shoeboxes on wheels also.

Alright already, so you think the Commander is ugly? How many times can you repeat it? Oh, are the mechanicals that hide under the Commander's "ugly" sheetmetal ugly also. Probably not.

So to be optically challenged, you just have to love the ugly Commander? Well the first thing I'll do in the morning is go down to the eye doctor so he can correct my perfect 20/20 vision with 5" thick tri-focals so that I can then agree with you that the Commander is "ugly"
  • thusrtonpthusrtonp Member Posts: 23
    Looks like someone took the bait anyway! A thin-skinned bunch, these Jeep owners. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    speaking of funny, that was a great post. i read it about 5 times and was roflmao each time. i'm so happy that i can elicit such an imaginative response.
    i guess you and b'hemi ought to come over to ct some time to learn how to drive in snow. we can use my explorer for driving school. my wife went out in her escape in 8 inches of unplowed snow and had no problem. 12 inches of snow is not a problem for an explorer (driven properly). i don't think it is a big deal. you just have to take your time.
    watch out for that krytonite. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    .....must be awfully tired out if all you have to do is rag on the Commander and Jeep owners. You don't see us coming over to Exploderville raging on that P.O........er..better not go there(caught myself Steve).

As for the snow, I don't care what you say, you and nobody else was driving that Exploder in 12" ( a foot for the non-measuring) of snow "without a problem at all", and in your case without having to use 4WD, no matter how "careful they were".

Thin-skinned, nah. Were just not gonna let a Exploder driver tell us that the Explorer is superior to the Commander.
  • prairiehunterprairiehunter Member Posts: 5
    I need help in pricing. I am in the South Dakota and negotiating with two dealerships. One will not move off of MSRP and the other will only go $800 lower than MSRP. I called a third dealership and they said because the vehicles are not on the lot they won't deal much. There is a Limited in my town with a hemi at about $41,000 but again not much for negotiations. Any ideas?
    I take it Jeep dealers are pretty scant up there in SD. Me personally, I wouldn't buy it unless it is at least invoice. No SUV at this point in time should be selling no where near sticker.

Offer them invoice price, maybe $500 over and if that's not enough, walk and let them call you about 2 days later with better numbers. This almost always works.
    if you are going off road, the commander is better than just about any other non-jeep 3 row suv. for anything else, a 4 year old explorer does it better.
    it is not 'ragging', it's just 'spitting the truth'.
    the explorer autmatically shifts from rwd to 4wd when the rear wheels slip. if you want to, you can lock 4 high on the fly too. my nephew said he could feel the power shifting as needed, but didn't feel like he had to go to 4 high. that is the best explanation i can give you.
    i did want to like the commander for it's overall functionality, but my kids gave it the thumbs down, so end of story for me.
    merry xmas everyone. :)
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hello all and Merry Christmas. I considered the Commander as it was one of the top three (Commander Hemi, Volvo XC90, Land Rover LR3) that I was wanting to purchase. I've had two Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd's in the past ('96 and '99) and I really liked the styling of the Commander and still do.

I ended up buying the Land Rover LR3 HSE because of the space for the third seat and for carrying "things" when the third seat is down. Granted, the LR3 was $11,000 more MSRP so they aren't in the same league price-wise.

Yesterday, I had friends arrive from out of town for Christmas. They reserved an SUV and drove up in a 2006 Commander. Since I never drove one, I hope to drive their rental just to see how it is. It is a rather base model with clothe interior, etc. Not sure if it's a 6 or 8.

One of the biggest things was that my friends had lots of luggage. The rear of the Commander was full with two large suitcases and two mediums. Just in comparison on space, the LR3 is a lot bigger and will fit my personal needs better, especially, after seeing the Commander loaded.

That darn 4 inch raise in the Commander floor takes up a lot of space which was a concern to me. Now, I see what kind of difference it made. I'm not sure if their rental has a third seat as I'm not sure if that was standard item or not.

Anyway, the Commander is a nice vehicle, I really like the looks but I wish Daimler/Chrysler would have thought out the "third seat" a little better since this was a new vehicle. Maybe they should not have used an extended version of the Grand Cherokee frame. Seems like the Durango frame would have been a better chassis to use for the extra space in the rear. Isn't that the reason why someone would buy the Commander, for the third seat room? Maybe the discounts would not be so large if the vehicle was made to "larger" specs.

The Land Rovers, even with their bad gas mileage, are not discounted $8,000-$10,000 dollars. I would think reliability would be about the same as the Jeep as I am quite well aware of my Jeep experience (both of my Jeeps had to be towed due to breakdowns). Even though, I still would have purchased another Jeep as I like the looks and their ability off-road.

Again, Merry Christmas! Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Here is an honest reply, believeit or not! In 1996 or 1998 we had 52" (Yes 52") of snow in my driveway. (big, big storm) My drive is 1/2 mile long. I got out( in my Jeep without any plowing or any help! Took me an hour and 1/2 to go that 1/2 mile.

I did it in a standard 1991 Jeep Cherokee with the 4L.

I backed out of my drive in low range and low gear (auto, you know) went about 3" and got stuck.

Got back in my garage and chains on all 4 wheels and got about 10" and stopped.

Went back into my garage and put on a set of Heavy Lug truck chains (ON TOP) of the standard chains on the front tires.(I wired the truck chains and the standard chains together so they would not distroy my fenders) Now I had 6 chains on the car 2 on each front tire and one on each rear tire. Took 10 minutes to pack down enough snow to turn the Jeep around. Then I just put it in low range and low gear and off I went. I would hit the new snow as fast as I could (about 10 mph) the car would ride up over the snow and swim its way about 20" then it would power out and just sink (high centered) in the snow.

I put it in reverse, and because of the big truck chains on the front, it would just claw its way back out of the snow. I would keep doing this every 20' or so. Slow going.

Ten times I got high centered and all 4 tires began to spin. I would then Crawl out of the window (no way to open the doors with 52" of snow. My hood bug guard was only 42" high and the snow was half way up the side windows! However the top 2 feet of snow was really fluffy, so I'd just bat it away as I brought the window down. I had a scoop shovel with me and out the window I went. It usually took less than 3 minutes to get enough snow out from under the frame to get the chains working agin.

I got out but lost my bug guard and pulled the tranny lines off in the last 50" (saw all the red oil in the snow. Looked like I killed someone! (would have liked to at the end of that hour and 1/2) but I wasn't going to let the snow beat the Jeep. I just re-clamped the hoses on the Tranny, put in a Qt of oil and had a drink! I got it done.

I live 10 miles from town. All the roads were plowed, but town was a real mess, so I kept all 4 wheels chained up for a complete week. I drove into town in the middle of a 4 lane road highway with a two lane turn center. I drove on the side of the center lanes because they still had deep snow that helped the chains, and I sure needed them that whole week in town and I didn't want to chain up each day.

I don't know of ANY Explorer that could have done that. I know the Jeep could do it and it did. Without the low range it would have never done it. I bet a GC with the Hemi or the Commander could have done it in less time. The big problem was that any car (even a H1 would not have have enough clearence to just drive out.) I just had to paddle my way back and forth, every 20' or so till I got the job done.

So I'll take a Jeep over any other rig other than a Land Rover and I don't want to spent the money on one of those.

I have a GC,standard Cherokee and a Wrangler. I guess you would say my wife and I are Jeep people.

Next year were going to replace the GC and standard Cherokee with a Commander and a Patriot!

All said, I sure DO like the interior of the 2006 Explorer.
    It's one beautiful interior. I love the dash.

I could joke by saying that new Explorer interior would be a beautiful place to freeze to death stuck in a snow drift in Montana or Wyoming, but I won't do that! ;)

PS. My former office manager (during the same snowstorm was on the NBC Today show, bcause she had 72" of standing snow in her drive way during that storm. (She lives 120 miles from me.) They couldn't get their cars out of the garage for a week, becaue they had to shovel all the snow off their roof in front of the garage.

What a Mess. What a great snow storm! Biggest ever in my life! Sure glad I had that Jeep! :)

AND
    remember, I could have just blown all that snow away
    with my super powers. But I wanted to prove the Jeep could do it without any help from me.

But then, You Explorer guys could have melted the snow with all your "Hot air"! ;)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! CK
    FLASH!!!! As a super hero, I get all the news first!

Santa will be driving his new Grand Cherokee SRT-8
    This Christmas Eve!

No Present left behind!

Can't you just see all those little kids crying their eyes out if Santa had to drive an Explorer? Not only would he get stuck in the snow, but he wouldn't be able to get up those steep roofs!

For a job like that, only the Jeeps 6.2 Hemi and Qudradrive will save the day!

Merry Christmas. If you Explorer drive are very very lucky (and have a great wife) you may just get a Jeep for Christmas.
    santa always got the job done, even before there were jeeps. :surprise: my kids would cry if santa wanted them to ride in a jeep opposed to an explorer, though. :P
    if you get a jeep for xmas, congrats to you. enjoy it. :)
    explorerx4

May we both get whatever we wish for in our stockings on the hearth.

And tell your kids to stop crying, they can ride in the Explorer. Being second, red ribbon, silver medal, runner-up, it's all the same, and much better than not to have dreamed at all.

Go to sleep little Explorers. And as you dream your dreams of sugar plums and Ferries, remember the story of the ugly duckling. He turned into a beautiful swan! So You little Explorers, you to will grow up to be Jeepers. :)

Oh, to be young again! Merry Christmas.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Actually, you DO resemble Marlon Brando, especially that virtual image in your Fortress of Solitude where he tells you who you really are, Ka-lel...

Now that I see you are a nice guy, and need an SUV, I have destroyed all of my kryptonite...you are safe!!!

Did I really just post that???...it's a far cry from advice after an auto accident... :confuse: :P :confuse:

Bob
    kids don't dream of explorers or jeeps, more like mustang gt convertibles. just happen to have one of those in one of my garages. :shades:
    Marsha, You all know what I did with the Horse Head!. I can get you the rest of the hide for your front seats. Ok?

CK ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have destroyed all of my kryptonite...

That's too bad. I understand that with kryptonite you don't need crumple zones and air bags! ;)

tidester, host
    I must admit with Kryptonite, I'm just a shell of myself.

It's as if my injectors are all cloged up! :sick:

Sometimes, Lois Lane does that to me without Kryptonite, depending on what type of perfume she is wearing! :blush:

But the Host has it backwards.---With Kryptonite around, I have to have crumple zones and ari bags. My super powers are made usless when that stuff is around. That is why I can't be with anyone who uses Kryptonite locks.

But, since no real Kryptonite really exists on earth, I feel pretty powerful most of the time! ;)

Merry Christmas to all.

Tell the kids Superman will make sure Santa gets through to all of them! Promise!
  • meetmermeetmer Member Posts: 3
    anyone know how easy it would be to put in a better stereo system , maybe with amp better speakers and subwoofer? I think the Boston Acoustic 6speaker system they give you in the Commander kind of sucks
  • wev1027wev1027 Member Posts: 1
    Well I just crossed the 100 mile milestone on my new Commander. I am very pleased with it, as I chose the top of the line Limited HEMI, without the Nav system (not in stock). The only thing that I must say is that driving in NYC, the Commander has given me an average of 6.1 mpg and an expected 150 per full tank----50% less that the Honda Pilot. But it does not matter---I love the commander.
  • nymomnymom Member Posts: 17
    We just brought home our black commander V6 base model with the 26T package and a few other options. We are very happy with it so far. We have 2kids with one on the way and all will be in carseats. All three car seats fit across in the second row which was a must for us. It is a really cool vehicle and there are not a lot of them in our town so it is good to have one of the first driving around the area.
    The V6 has enough power for us since we we do not tow anything. We previously had a v6 jeep GC and the v6 was enough. Can not wait to see how the gas mileage is.
    Congrats!! Hope your experience is just as good as mine has turned out to be.
  • sthomps81sthomps81 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All-
    My wife and I have two children and haven't ruled out a third. My wife currently drives a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport--it has been an excellent maintenance free vehicle for almost 100,000 miles now. Alas we are looking for a new vehicle of about the same size with newer/better safety features etc. Probably will end up getting something similar in size to the Montero Sport but with V8 and a 3rd row seat. We have test driven several vehicles including Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, Dodge Durango, Toyota 4runner, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Our favorite three were the Toyota 4runner, Dodge Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. However my wife really likes the looks of the Jeep Commander and it would probably afford our family a little more room and give us a third row seat if we were to need one—so it would replace the Jeep GC in the rotation. The Toyota 4runner Limited V8 we drove was silky smooth and would be fine for our offroad adventures. My only concern is that I am pushing 6' 3" and the roof seems very low in the 4Runner. Not the end of the world as my wife will mostly be driving the new SUV. The Toyota heating and cooling controls seem a little funky and could learn something from Jeep in this regard--Both the GC and Commander seem to have much simpler controls which seem better to me. Of course the 4runners are said to be very reliable which has been a virtue of our current SUV. Nothing but routine maintenance for 100,000 miles. I'm going to assume that gas mileage will be similar in either the Commander or 4runner and isn't a huge deal to me to begin with. We crossed the Durango off the list because the interior fit and finish in the test vehicles we looked at were somewhat poor and the overall size might be a tad large for our needs—it did drive very nicely though—perhaps a little too much wind noise but nice nevertheless. The Jeep Commanders that we have looked at have been nice and tight inside by comparison. So I guess it comes down to the Commander and 4runner. Any one else drive both of these vehicles and have some advice or other information for me? Which one did you buy and why? As of right now I'm on the fence. Who knows, might need to throw the new Explorer into the fray as well. Thanks in advance for your input!
    I've got a Commander Limited 4X4 HEMI, and I absolutely love it. I bought it for the simple reason of the third row versatility(and the looks of course :P). The Commander is very tight in it's construction, much like the JGC, so no squeaks and rattles from the inside or from the suspension.

The 4-Runner, while an excellent SUV, suffers in passenger comfort because of the low-roof/ high-floor body construction. This has been a problem since there ever has been a 4-Runner. The mechanicals of it are typical Toyota, durable and reliable. So are the Jeeps of today. My '02 JGC Overland has about 139,000 miles on the odo right now, with just scheduled and preventive maintenance. Same tranny. Same motor. Same drivetrain. Before that, '98 JGC 5.9 LTD, and it's got 204,000 miles on it. Only thing changed besides normal wear and tear was a transfer case, and that was my fought because I left the truck in 4-lo and drove too fast in it.

The newly updated '06 Explorer is a nice SUV, some on this forum think that the EXPLODER is superior to the Commander, I for one don't think so. The Commander is typical Jeep, which means you can get it configured so many ways that optioning it is very easy.

For the ultimate balance of towing, off-road capability, comfort, and a world class ride all in one, the Commander is a first priority choice. Add to that all of the creature comforts that the Commander affords, it has the makings of the perfect do all SUV.:)
  • sthomps81sthomps81 Member Posts: 7
    Hi blkhemi-
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like you are a satisfied Jeep owner. My wife and I like the Commander and probably would have wrote the check to buy one already if the interior didn't use quite as much hard and in some cases flimsy plastic--what is the deal with the pocket above the glove compartment on the passenger side? My kids could break that thing in a heartbeat:) Guess one could also rationalize the hard plastic will be easy to care for.

I think your "balance" comment is spot on. Doesn't sound like you have had any reliability issues to speak of either. Certainly any vehicle that racks up 200,000+ miles was well worth the purchase. My guess is that the Jeep dealers will be really wheeling and dealing in 06 due to all of the competition out there and the publics' interest in crossovers. Both the Jeep and Toyota dealers near me have been wheeling to deal without much effort on my part. I tend to drive a hard bargain as I pay cash, do not trade a vehicle, and take my time. Our family really uses our vehicles and enjoys the flexibility of SUVs. Please feel free to keep adding information. Your input is appreciated.
    Happy New Year!
  • farisfaris Member Posts: 1
    I am considering using a car broker to buy a Jeep Commander. (Hemi with almost all options). The price he said he can get is factory invoice (which he distinguished from dealer invoice) plus $300. $100 for the dealer and $200 for him. I'm using him to avoid the hassle of dialing around to several dealers to get a price. Any thoughts out there about this price and whether calling around would be worth it. The price does not take into account the rebates, so the $1,000 or whatever the current incentive (gas?) would come to me still. Thanks for the help.
    Brokers seem to be less visible since internet car buying has expanded. Here's a link that may help:

Using a Car Broker to Buy Your Next Vehicle

Steve, Host
    like i said before, the commander is a better off-roader than than just about any other suv, but there are a lot of better ones in terms of everyday practicality, especially the explorer. it was that way last year. nothing has changed ;)
    How is the Explorer better in everyday praticality over the Commander? The ride quality is about the same, despite the Commander having a more durable solid axle out back and it takes corners better than the Explorer despite it's RSC system. The Commander has more available gadgets. It has more standard and optional power. It tows more. It's more rugged off of the pavement. What gives????? Oh, please lets not start the 3rd seat debate again as NO midsize SUV(besides Durango, LR3 and maybe the extended GMT 360 SUV's) offers real world room back there, no matter who's kids said they were uncomfortable.
  • pdkesqpdkesq Member Posts: 14
    Wow we looked at this monstrosity the other day and ugh.. this is the most poorly designed vehicle since the Pontiac Aztek. Not only is the outside ugly, but the interior is terrible. The materials feel cheap and crummy. I checked out the top of the line and I was just appalled. We really need the third row so I had high hopes for this, but ugh. Just ugh.
    if you really need the 3rd row, your choices are limited.
    I actually like the looks of the Commander. Ugly to one person can be totally different to another. The boxy shape is what I like because it usually allows more room in the interior.

The Commander was on my buying list but the LR3 won out solely for the third seat and rear storage when the seats are down.

I can see why the Commander will be popular because you get a lot of gadgets and engine for the money... believe me, I checked.

Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    hit a frost heave or pothole mid corner with the explorer, one side of the irs says 'ouch', the other says 'so what'.
    it has very little bump steer, which i appreciate.
    it might be fun to get in a gadget debate, but it might get boring. do you have a drivers seat that slides back to greet you when you open the door? ;)
    my point is to give prospective buyers my impressions or experiences. they can make their own decisions regarding what is cheerleading or not.
    Explorer... I would never buy a Ford.... uh oh... I bought a Land Rover! :blush: LOL! Although I have never owned a Ford, I don't have anything against them.

Several of my family members have bought Expeditions, Explorers, Bronco's, etc. My Dad just got a Mercury Grand Marquis about a year ago.

There are buyers for every brand... I've never owned a "regular" Ford but now I'm part of the Ford family. :D

How can anyone go wrong with the Commander as far as capability... it's on the Grand Cherokee frame/chassis. Like I've said before I've had two Grand Cherokee and found them to be very enjoyable to drive. They had a couple of issues but everything worked out fine in the end.

I wish Chrysler still made the regular Jeep Cherokee, I think that would still be a hot seller along with the Liberty, etc.

Mark :)
    I don't have to even touch the door handle for the seat to slide back. It has a exit function that does this and upon entry if the seat is moved, it goes back to the previous position.

As for the midcornering, even tho my Commander has a more durable rigid axle over the Explorer's IRS, I don't experience any tail hop, thanks to the Jeeps shock tuning, which eliminates this and the thumps that the IRS's dish out.
    maybe solid axles are more durable, maybe not.
    sounds like the seat work similar.
    i have keypad entry, but i don't have those skateboard surfer handles on the back. ;)
  • kerrimakerrima Member Posts: 7
    I love the look of the Commander, nice to see that look back again. I don't care that the 3rd row seating is cramped, but it is nice to have in case one needs to cart a few extra people around now and then. You seem to like Jeeps very much. I am interested in purchasing the Jeep Commander 4x4> V6>UPack. My only concern is the gas mileage. I have read the V6 gets 16/19 would you know if this is accurate? I have a BMW 740IL as much as I like it and it is good on gas, it is very expensive car to maintain in many ways, so I am looking now at trading it in for a Commander. Blkhemi or anyone I would appreciate some solid advice. From New England, Kerri
    I'm glad to see a fellow New Englander on the Jeep forum. I'm from Maine myself, and I'm in between Cali, L.I., and Maine. But enough of that.

I'm also glad to see you have interest in the Commander. It is a great SUV, and I've really enjoyed my ownership thus far. The V6 Commander is a sensible choice if you don't do any major hauling or towing. And it gets 17/21 mpg. But for 16/20, you could opt for the 4.7L V8 and will probably get better mileage as the powertrain is not straining and struggling as much. And it's only about $1k more than the V6 model. But different strokes for different folks. One guy on this forum was pleased with his V6 Commander, while one was franticly upset. My point: drive both models before deciding on either.

P.S.- You'll be able to afford more gas because you won't have to worry about those pesky Bimmer "trouble codes" any longer.
    Hello again, The mileage you quote on the V6 and V8 is more than Jeep advertises. As I mentioned, my one concern is gas mileage and what you have quoted is fairly good from what I have read. I have read that the Commander looks much larger than it really is. Seems it is not much larger than the Grand Cherokee, what is your take? BTW The one guy who was quite upset with purchasing the V6 was it because he felt is was not powerful enough? BTW I love Maine:) Thank you so much for your response. Kerri
  • ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    I believe the Commander is only 2" longer than the Grand Cherokee.

If you want good gas mileage buy a Civic. If you want a powerful SUV, especially a V8, you will use a lot of gas. I so wish people would stop expecting 25 MPG from a 5500 lb vehicle, it ain't gonna happen folks. And even more so, don't buy one and 2 weeks later start complaining that it is a gas guzzler.
    You said>>>> "I so wish people would stop expecting 25 MPG from a 5500 lb vehicle, it ain't gonna happen folks. And even more so, don't buy one and 2 weeks later start complaining that it is a gas guzzler." Actually I thought your mileage quote on >>>> V6 (17/21)& V8 (16/20) was promising for the Commander. I hardly expect 25MPG from a large vehicle and if I got the mileage you quoted, I would be very satisfied. I am not about to complain if I purchase the Jeep Commander, this is why I am doing my homework. Kerri
    kerri... you can also go over the the liberty, grand cherokee, and durango discussions to get information about actual gas mileage. they have the same engines as the commander.
    those grown up kids of yours are going to be fighting over the front passenger seat. the commander is not especially roomy in the 2nd and 3rd rows.
    get a moonroof and if you get leather, make sure they are at least the heated ones. your bimmer probably has those features, but they are options. heated and cooled seats are now available too. don't know if they are on the commander.
    check out the x3, mdx, and rx330. get cards from the sales reps. leave them in plain sight when you go to the jeep dealer. ;)
    post back about what you decide.
    get cards from the sales reps. leave them in plain sight

lol, fun tip. Stick some brochures of the Acura and Lexus on the front seat of your trade too. ;-)

Steve, Host
    i did that last time i traded in. easiest negotiation i ever had. it was the 6th vehicle i bought from the same salesperson.
    The Liberty I was able to take on a loaner one day, not a vehicle for me. I am familiar with the Grand Cherokee as my daughter has one. The Durango I have read good things about. And about my grown kids, they would seldom ever be in my vehicle, so they are not a consideration to why I am investigating the Commander. You are right the BMW does have heated seats among other things as you know:) The UPack for the Commander has them also which I am interested in.
    I appreciate all the advice I can obtain. Thank you, Kerri:)