Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Commander

Comments

• Options
    viper7viper7 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that you can put 87 octane fuel in the Hemi V8 Commander? It seems like every SUV I see these days that's got performance qualities requires the 91 octane fuel which has gotten too expensive. I love V8 power but figure the Commander will cost me if I gotta put premium fuels.
  • Options
    kcj310kcj310 Member Posts: 4
    Somebody in a previous post was trying to denigrate the looks of the Comm by saying that with the Limited's details like the chrome bolts over the wheels that you'd have to carry around Q-tips to detail it after every car wash. He was being facetious, but seriously, how's that detail looking now from you current owners who've had yours for a few months? Does it still look cool or is it catching dirt and becoming a pain? I like the look but I'm not a fan of knooks and crannies on anything. Too much hassle.
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    kcj310.... LOL... that was me that mentioned the Q-tips.. I guess somebody was listening. :P

I would also be interested in feedback if it's been a problem for the Commander. My new 2006 Land Rover LR3 is slick as glass on the edges and no nooks and crany's.

Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Yes it is true. The Commander HEMI can run on 87, albeit with a slight power lost( about 5hp).

I personally don't run anything but premium in my cars. I guess it's because most of my cars require it so it's like second nature to reach for the 93 octane nozzle.
  • Options
    Thanks for the applause.
  • Options
    Is your Cab a Carrera 4S? I say this because the 0-60 seems a bit low. My brother's 4S gets it done in about 4.6 sec. Maybe you've got Tiptronic?
  • Options
    Nothing more than a quick wipe of interior protectant is needed, just like in any other SUV. I have absolutely no problems cleaning it inside and out. Cleaning the wheels is no harder than cleaning other wheels.

Mark wasn't being facetious because at first glance, it looks like it would take a lot to keep the dash and wheels clean but that's not the case.

No Q-Tips needed. Now a 6-foot ladder for Mark's new LR3, well that's entirely different story. I can remember helping a family member wash his Disco II. It was like trying to wash a big rig due to the elevated roof towards the rear. I know the Commander's roof is kicked-up too, but not to this degree.

Anyway, how's that new LR3 Mark? Fully loaded?
  • Options
    I worked up some numbers for you:

Commander Limited with NO options- MSRP $36K
    Nav-$1200
    UConnect-$275
    Rear Entertainment-$1200
    Chrome Wheels-$820 would be the only available options

Even if you put all these options on it, I still wouldn't pay anywhere near sticker. I recently typed a post about a guy who just got a Commander LTD that sticked at $46K for around $35k.

My sister who lives in L.A. got rid of her MDX last week and went to Buerge Jeep in LA and got a LTD HEMI 4X4 that listed for $44K for around $36K. So the deals are there and I'd be aggressive with the sales guys because they can get pushy at times. DO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU IN SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT. They will try it on you in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Justin, I've got a whopping 17 miles on the LR3. It's black with tan leather, cold climate pkg, Heavy duty pkg and I added the thick black rubber mats and a the wood dash (wood will arrive in 10 days). One thing nice about the LR3, is that it will lower for ease if entry and for washing. It will also raise for difficult terrain.

I wish I had a chance to drive a Commander just to see how the "biggest" Jeep drives and handles; which I'm sure is nice. The bolt crevices might be a small issue for catching dirt and I l've been known to clean my wheels every evening after driving. Brake dust will damage the finish on most wheels. Whenever I trade my cars, the wheels look almost like new, very shiny and no pitting.

Anyway, maybe we'll pass each other at Lake Arrowhead in the deep snow! :P

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    youngturkyoungturk Member Posts: 30
    No, it's a C2 cab (http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/) with the 6 sp manual transmission. Best car I've ever owned. I'm trying to figure out if a Commander Ltd 4x4 with Hemi and loaded fits in my plans . . .

YoungTurk
  • Options
    Look at it this way, whne it's time to tow the Cab to a show, you'll now that you have the HEMI to get you there and back with nary a problem.

I'm a Porsche freak, but the new 997 4S just didn't connect with me very well. So I opted to get a Z06 instead. However I do still have my '03 GT2 and it is loads of fun to drive. It seems that Porsche is trying to make their cars more acceptable in mainstream at the expense of losing their faithful customers.

Back to the Commander, I think if you want a do everything go anywhere SUV, get the Commander or LR3. The both of them are very capable and both have received good customer feedback.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    If running on 87 octane will lose 5 HP from 340, then only 335 remains...how can anyone expect to move the vehicle forward with only a 335 HP V8???... ;) :shades: :P
  • Options
    With only 335 hp, it'll take at least all day just to get to the end of the drive-way!!!!:P :blush: :shades:
  • Options
    Good luck with the new LR3. I bet the color combo is gorgeous. I love Land Rover vehicles in black. I saw a 2000 Range Rover that had the "kneeling" feature in a parking lot today. The lady did this at the push of a button on the keyless entry fob. Is it the same way in the LR3? It sure would be nice if it is when there is rain out or when your in the Home Depot parking lot trying to load in goods.

See ya at Lake Arrowhead!
  • Options
    assangbidassangbid Member Posts: 13
    Hi blkhemi, I'm also in LA and looking for a LTD Hemi 4x4. You mentioned your sister got it for around $36K. Does that include the Miles of Freedom plan? What other options does it come with? Who's the salesperson? Thanks in advance.

I test drove a 4.7L LTD yesterday and think it doesn't have enough power. I'll probably get a Black LTD HEMI with most of the options.

Anyone knows if there's any good lease deal on Commander? I'm looking into buying, but also want to look at lease deals.
  • Options
    Justin, yes, the LR3 will lower at a touch of the fob. On the LR3, you have a choice of what you want the vehicle to do when you touch the "land rover" emblem on the key fob.

The choices are:
    1) you can turn on the headlights when you walk up to the vehicle.
    2) you can turn on the back up lights
    3) you can lower or raise the vehicle at a touch of the
    fob.

Currently, mine is set for the headlights to come on. I think I might change it to lower/raise.

Mark :)
  • Options
    I made a mistake.. the three functions of the key fob on the LR3 are as above but 1 and 2 are in the same function... so the third function is a choice for the alarm to activate.

I'm still reading the manual.

Any future info, I'll put on the LR site as this is for the JEEP Commnander.

Happy Motoring. Mark
  • Options
    That is a way cool gadget. It makes me want one(almost)
  • Options
    The deal did indeed include the Miles of Freedom plan. It is good until 1/3/06 if I'm not mistaken on DC vehicles.

As for options, she got chrome wheels, Nav, Rear seat entertainment, UConnect(Blutooth). When I get back to LA this weekend, I'm taking her Commander to get the satellite tv and vearious Mopar accessories like the ski rack, running boards, rear spoiler/dust deflector, visors all the way around, and dual exhaust(she wants hers to sound like mine). It's her early Christmas present.

I'm not sure of the salespersons name, but she did deal directly with the sales manager. She's a Wharton business school grad.(the brains of the family) and a business exec for Verizon Wireless, so what do you expect, a frisky salesperson(lol)?

The 4.7L is a good choice when paired with 2WD and no/very little towing or heavy loads. I've got this motor in my '03 JGC Overland and it's a great engine. However, for absolute grunt and with the same EPA as the 4.7L(actually the Commander does better on the highway than the JGC or Durango at 21 MPG), go with HEMI and as Larry the Cable Guy would say, git er' done! Oh, the black is the way to go.

Not to peachy on lease deals, however as I understand it if you are planning on leasing through CFC, they have some fantastic deals on all SUV's and ligh-duty pick-ups right now.

Feel free to post any other thoughts or concerns.
  • Options
    hi blkhemi, thanks for the reply. I'm curious about the satellite TV. Can you provide more info on that (sorry, I know it's out of topic here)? Can you watch TV/DVD on the front screen?
  • Options
    Hi, I don't know where I can ask questions about Jeep Commander lease. I'll do it here. I would like to know the current lease program, like money factor, residual value, for the new Jeep Commander? I'm interested in getting a LTD HEMI fully loaded. I went to a dealer today and they told me the money factor is 0.00219 and residual value is 52% for a 39 mos/12K lease. However, they are saying the monthly payment would be almost $750/mo as they have a markup on the jeep and the asking price will be $53000. I just smiled and politely walked away.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may also want to try Lease Questions - Ask Here.

tidester, host
  • Options
    cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Without trying really hard, I was quoted a price of dealer "invoice" plus $475 plus fees for a Commander (didn't matter which one) by the fleet/internet department.
  • Options
    You can't watch TV/DVD on the standard NAV screen, however the sat system come with two screen that can be stapped to or integrated into the front seat headrest. If you get a Commander, I'd would not get the rear entertainment system because it'll be a waste of money if you ended up getting the sat system
  • Options
    $53k for a Jeep Commander? You did the right thing and walked away. I'd check with another dealer if at all possible.
  • Options
    I want to put up a system that we can watch on the front screen. Since it'll always be only 2 of us, it'll be more useful to watch TV/DVD in the front. But I heard it's illegal? I know some aftermarket systems can allow me to do that. I may just purchase those and forget about the NAV/entertainment system from the factory. That's assuming I'm buying the Commander, not leasing.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The last I heard it wasn't illegal in every state (yet), but it probably will be in the not too distant future. See:

navguy1, "Navigation / GPS Systems" #294, 12 Aug 2005 10:58 am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I was following my wife to work today, she in the Ram 1500 Hemi, me in my Crown Vic LX Sport (239 HP 4.6L)...after she slowly accelerated onto the freeway, she floored it to get around a semi...there was no way I could catch up with her...altho I was belted in my seat, I was ROTFLMAO...all I could think was, my next vehicle gotta have a Hemi....

;) :P :shades:
  • Options
    Yep, not even the great Crown Vic with Police Interceptor pkg(yes, your LX Sport has the same set-up as State Troopers across the country, they just don't know it) can't catch the HEMI. And I love the LX Sport-equipped Crown Vics for their spaciousness and ride quality(I should've bought the Marauder when I had the chance :cry: )

So the Commander weighs 5200 pounds, yet is out-running the cop cars. What is going to happen when the cops start using HEMI Chargers with Pursuit Package. No more high speed chases.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    i doubt i will ever see a commander off the side of the road, unless they drop the price some more so someone will actually buy one.
    lets have some more details on those explorers you rescued. what year? what shape were the tires in?
    gave my nephew my explorer to go to work today. we had about 12 inches of snow. i schooled him in how to operate the 'control-trac', if needed. he said he never had to touch a button. i think the driver has something to do with it(repeat comment).
    some of these posts are like jeep fantasy island.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Me being a law man myself, the TV/DVD is illegal in 32 states. So do research on everything before doing this. In Cali and NY, the fines are $500 and you get a 6-point infraction on your license. That is why some carmakers like Lexus and BMW allow viewings only while the car is in PARK.

And your right, their are plenty of aftermarket parts available. Alpine is the leader and they have some very good quality products, if a bit pricey.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Jeep Commander: Lease Questions discussion.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    gsurfgsurf Member Posts: 1
    hello, does anyone know if the commander gets small business tax breaks like the hummer, range rover, etc. thanks.
  • Options
    off3off3 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone try remote start on the commander? Waiting for mine to come in, but did not order remote start, but looking an after market remote starter.
  • Options
    I've got remote start on my Commander. It is a fully integrated unit in that it cuts power if the key is not in the ignition and if someone steps on the brake. It's made by Delphi.

Parts and labor for it was about $300, but it's a lot better than the factory unit. This thing can can be started from 2000 feet away( ALMOST HALF A MILE!!!!)
  • Options
    ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    I test drove a standard Commander 4X4 with the V6 and a Limited 4X4 this afternoon to compare the V6 vs the V8. There was no doubt about it, the V8 is the way to go. So I would like to get a standard with a V8 as I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with the Limited. My question is, aside from the extra creature comforts is there a difference between a standard V8 and a limited V8 as far as performance goes like different suspension that kind of thing?
  • Options
    meetmermeetmer Member Posts: 3
    it makes no sense to me that people have mentioned buying a $45 K commander for $36 K because the dealer invoice on that car is around $41 K and the dealer holdback is about $1500 so the dealer would be losing money if commander is sold for $36 K. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I was one of the people that posted a similar instance. Yes it is true, you can get up to 10K off of sticker if you know how to deal. The dealers can afford to lose a couple thousand here and there.

Take for instance the typical Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership. The Dodge Ram, Durango's, Caravan/Town&Country, JGC's, Commander, and Liberty are on sale everyday, meaning that you can get a substantial discount off of stickers as these cars are desirable yet are an extremely tough sale due to the current energy crisis and gas prices. Now, take a look at the Dodge Charger/Magnum, Viper, Crossfire, 300/300C. These cars sell at least at invoice. No deep discounting(maybe on the base models, MAYBE). So the dealer is getting money on the back-end as it is referred to in the business.

Sell one Commander at 36K, and they've taken a slight hit. Sell 5 300C's at $35K a pop in the same day, and you've more than made up for the short fall.

The golden rule to remember nowadays is that the SUV market plunged 54% compared to last year. So it's either give a discount or face bankruptcy ie: GM and Ford...........
  • Options
    There are no major performance defeciencies if you go with base V-8 Commander over the Limited. No suspension differences either. And you can get the same 4WD systems as the Limited's except on the Limited HEMI which uses the Quadra-Drive system unique to the HEMI only which can't be purchased on the base models. Save the dough and by the 4X4 V-8 base and get your own accessories to put on it.
  • Options
    off3off3 Member Posts: 3
    blkhemi, which remote start did you buy and from where? Did price include installation?
    thanks for the help.
  • Options
    A local shop installed mine in New York, however Best Buy carries the exact same model. It's made by Delphi
  • Options
    meetmermeetmer Member Posts: 3
    1) is it easy to do after market wood panel upgrades

2) how easy is it to upgrade to a better stereo system in the limited (i think the 6 speaker boston acoustics sucks)

3) is it easy to have xenon headlamps installed and how good are the existing headlights
  • Options
    So here's how it turned out. Got exactly what I wanted.

-Limited
    -4x2
    -4.7L 8cyl
    -Chrome wheels
    -Nav, Rear entertainment, UConnect, all the bells and whistles

Sticker (MSRP) was $40.3k. $43k+ with CA tax, etc.
    I paid $37.1k, before tax, and after the $1k rebate.
    Invoice they showed me (after they had made several concessions and were tiring of me) was $37.4k.

So I got $3200 off the Sticker or a couple hundred under Invoice. I arranged my own financing and did not trade-in, so there was no funny business there.

I think I did OK. I'm sure they still made plenty of money off of me, though. I'm interested in your feedback. P.S. It really looks good.
  • Options
    I think you did pretty good, considering you're in California where, believe it or not is the top state in Jeep sells currently, so the dealers know that they don't have to give extraordinary deals. But all-in-all, you did great and as long as you're satisfied, all is well.
  • Options
    ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    I bought one on Saturday and got a pretty good deal, at least I think I did.

I got the Limited 4X4 with the HEMI, GPS Nav, DVD/Video, chrome wheels, off road pkg, u connect. MSRP: $44,600. Invoice: $40,543. I paid $37,900, before tax. Not quite $10K off sticker but well below invoice.

To that you add the $2400 gas card Jeep is giving, (in lieu of the $1000 rebate and for the life of me I can't see who would choose $1000 over $2400) and the effective price is $35,500.

Someone made the point that getting the non-Limited and adding options would end up being cheaper than getting the Limited with the same options. That is very true. But for me after about 20 seconds of driving the Hemi I said screw it, I'll pay the extra $$ for the Limited to get this engine.
  • Options
    mmcintoshmmcintosh Member Posts: 1
    I reed your little message and had to reply. I have been with a chrysler dodge and jeep store now for about 4 years, and would like to see the justification behind your thoughts. You are putting false information out their. You are telling people that all they need to do to buy a jeep for $10,000 back of msrp is to deal the right way. you do have some true points, the market for suv is at an all time low, and gas prices have effected that tremendously. But to tell people that we will take a couple thousand dollar loss and make it up somewhere else is giving false hope for most. We have control of what we order we want a 300 we order a 300 we want a commander we order a commander, and if your information was true why would we take a gamble to order something that would be a financial burden to the dealership. Have you ever even been in a commander, it has been out for about 4 months now, (way to soon for a dealer to give up on and take a 4,000 dollar loss on) In my apenion the new commander is a great vehicle and has a lot to offer someone that want's to take the time to learn about it. Long story short you need to be a little more realistic on the advice that you put out on hear, because alot of people see it. and you find me a commander that i can buy 10,000 back of sticker that is equipped right and i will stroke you the check.
    Good Day
    Matt
  • Options
    Well first off, since you say that you work for a Jeep store(dealership?), then of course you'll disagree with me because that's more money out of your pocket.

Secondly, did you read the posts that were listed before you typed yours in? Probably not seeing how one guy just bought Commander at about $10K off of sticker when you take into account the gas card. Oh, I got a Commander Limited HEMI 4X4 that I ordered straight from DC myself so that I wouldn't have to get involved with pushy salespeople who aren't even as knowledgeable of the product they're selling as the people who are buying it.

So to sum it up, I 'm right and you're incorrect. The info that I gave out was true and direct, at least for 1 other guy who posted here saved 10K off the price of his Commander. Sorry.

P.S.- Please tell me that you are not actually selling Jeeps, because it seems that you are actually discouraging people to buy Commanders and get a deal at the same time. I've been buying Jeep products for over 30 years and I've never bought one at full sticker. Moreover, a close relative of mine is a marketing analyst VP for DC and I know how the "sell cheaper, sell higher" strategy works.
  • Options
    That's an amazing deal. Why would they do that? The one dealer I was in sold 2 other Commanders while I was sitting there. The SUV market where you live must be really bad if they have to pay people to take the car away. I'm also curious about the $2400 gas card. Is their fine print? Can all that go toward gas or does some of the $2400 have to be alloted to maintenance and the extended warranty? Just curious. For me my commute is 5 miles per day max. I really bought mine for looks.
  • Options
    Nope, the full 2400 bucks is gas only, and that's because there is already scheduled maintenance as a separate part of the deal
  • Options
    amato1amato1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in La Jolla CA and my wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee is coming off lease March 2nd. sound like you got a great deal on the Jeep. Can you tell me where you got it and if you bought it or leased it.