Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Options
    magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,157
    edited September 2014

Yes - its a Peugeot 204 Break - quite a car in its day as when introduced in 1967 it had transverse alloy ohc engine with front wheel drive - and produced about 58bhp on 1130cc's - not bad for the mid sixties... This one is later - it is registered in 1973/4 - but they sold them here until 1977. The 304 is practically identical from the rear but I also have a picture of the front and that is different from the 304.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2014

I picked this artwork image because it was the only one that didn't immediately reveal the type of car! But it's a pretty accurate rendering, mnus the wheels of course.

This car is notable in that american stylists tried to copy it in a rough fashion, and succeeded in some ways, except in weight.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,714

1st gen. Golf/Rabbit?

• Options
    edited September 2014

Nope, not a VW. Try this alternate photo:

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563

I bet those tires rub! Does look like an old Polo. In the family, some sort of Skoda?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Nope not a Skoda.

• Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2014

Looks like an Audi 50 GLS...their "Mini" car from the mid 70's...

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    I picked this artwork image because it was the only one that didn't immediately reveal the type of car! But it's a pretty accurate rendering, mnus the wheels of course.

This car is notable in that american stylists tried to copy it in a rough fashion, and succeeded in some ways, except in weight.

G'day

the guess on the VW Polo is very close, so I am guessing an Audi 50. I had the booted version of the Early Polo when in the UK. Nice little car although its habit of the gear sdtick popping out was disconcerting.

It is actually the successor car to the NSU shown a few days ago. However thus particular one seemsvway hotter than I recall

Cheers

graham

• Options

Gold star to jwilliams and an honorable assist to graham. Yes, it's an Audi 50, a response to the original Mini. American designers took notice of the large expanse of glass and "hatchness" but early attempts to design small cars weren't terribly good, because the American attempts were grossly overweight---thereby negating the advantages of smaller size. (See Pacer, Gremlin, etc).

• Options
    This one could have been pre-war but they made them for a while after the end of hostilities and the registration indicates it is indeed postwar.

• Options
    Postwar and traditional......

• Options
    One more -

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,179
    Looks like a Sunbeam-Talbot. These were actually sold in NA through the early 50s.
    magnette said:

This one could have been pre-war but they made them for a while after the end of hostilities and the registration indicates it is indeed postwar.

• Options
    That's an AC, I don't know the model names.
    magnette said:

One more -

• Options
    I had to cheat a little on that one, I'll just say that these too were sold in NA, and indeed are traditional, sometimes confused with RR by the layman.
    magnette said:

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Mini car variant which I've only seen in pics.

photo Myst_Pic_81B_zps69cfde13.jpg
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    that is an English Ford from the 70s, right? A Fiesta? No clue what they call the panel delivery version!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Yes Fin -the first one is a Sunbeam Talbot - its the early postwar model - the Sunbeam Talbot Ten - as in 10hp - so I don't imagine many of that particular model made it over there - it was introduced in 1938/ 9 and then stopped for the war - reintroduced in late 1945 they made them until 48 when the new S-T 80 and 90 came along which were the ones you got there in larger numbers.

The third one was an AC 2litre - it was always a rare car but there are still quite a few reserved - its one of those cars that was usually in the hands of an enthusiast I suppose - the styling especially from the back is a bit of an acquired taste though...

I'll leave the Postwar & Traditional one until someone gets it - more commonly recalled as a limo - the saloon / sedan is now a rare sight...
  • Options
    stickguy said:

that is an English Ford from the 70s, right? A Fiesta? No clue what they call the panel delivery version!

Yes - its a first generation Ford Fiesta - made initially inSpain but later in UK, Germany, Belgium, and pretty much everywhere else I think. I hired one of the vans once - a car I had was in for crash repairs and first they got me a Fiesta saloon, but after about a week theguy who had rented that to me swapped it for the van version - it was fine for me as I was only using it to go to work and actually the van version was more useful anyway - we moved stuff with it and so on for about ten days.. I was sorry to get the car back.
    - As far as I can recall the van version was always known as the Ford Fiesta van but they did make a larger or at least higher version of the mark III a few years later which I think they called the Fiesta Courier. There is still a Fiesta van in the current range.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Yep, Ford Fiesta MK1 van. And as posted there's still a van in the current gen.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    The AC looks like it is squatting. Odd.

There's something about the B-pillar area on the S-T that caught my eye. I think they didn't hit the US until 49-50 or so, yeah.

Another hint for the traditional one, sometimes they are fitted with a grille from another car.
    magnette said:

Yes Fin -the first one is a Sunbeam Talbot - its the early postwar model - the Sunbeam Talbot Ten - as in 10hp

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Frozen

• Options
    a Frozen 1970ish Plymouth cab? In NYC

• Options
    It's a NYC taxi, but not a Plymouth.
  • Options
    I was originally going with Dodge but erased that and put in Plymouth.

grill area reminds me of an early 70s charger. So a Polara?

• Options
    Yes, it's a Dodge but not a Polara. Think smaller.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    lemko said:

Coronet?
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    andys120 said:

AMC Eagle - 1980 or so.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    put in an aftermarket grille and make it a 258ci manual trans model and I'd drive it. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    AMC, just 25-30 years ahead of its time.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    stickguy said:

AMC, just 25-30 years ahead of its time.

We should dub it the predecessor to the Crosstrek. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    robr2 said:

lemko said:

Coronet?
    Yes. 1973 Dodge Coronet.
  • Options
    Look at the shape of that thing. A perfect copy of some vintages of Outback.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,434
    qbrozen said:

put in an aftermarket grille and make it a 258ci manual trans model and I'd drive it. :)

The first crossover!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @qbrozen: Oh, you'd think twice about that after you drove one :)

• Options
    Friend had one of those Eagles, claustrophobic thing, I liked our '86 Cherokee a lot more.
  • Options
    I think you could spend $10,000 to make an Eagle a decent car, but then, just go buy a Cherokee.
  • Options

• Options
    edited September 2014
    fintail said:

I had to cheat a little on that one, I'll just say that these too were sold in NA, and indeed are traditional, sometimes confused with RR by the layman.

magnette said:

Magnette replied - but can't get out of this stupid box to post it....

The rear view of a stately carriage I posted a few days ago is an Austin A135 Princess saloon - as opposed to the long wheelbase Limo which was in production for longer and which became a Vanden Plas 4 Litre, going on until the mid sixties.

This saloon version lasted a few years from 1948, they made a couple of thousand of these big Austins (including the slightly smaller A125 Sheerline)in 1949/50 but it settled down to about 300 per year therafter, more of which were limos - the salon with this body stopped in about 1956, but there was a later variant called the Princess IV which was a bit more streamlined - they made 200 of those in 1957/8...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    andys120 said:

VW (Brazil) Kharmann Ghia 1600TC - 1970-76 - I think someone imported these into Germany as I have seen a couple of them there at car shows.
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    VW (Brazil) Kharmann Ghia 1600TC - 1970-76 - I think someone imported these into Germany as I have seen a couple of them there at car shows.

I kind of like it. It looks from that angle like it has kind of a Porsche 356 thing going from the B-pillar back. But what's with those grilles up front?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    bhill, you've got yourself a nice fleet, there!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

VW (Brazil) Kharmann Ghia 1600TC - 1970-76 - I think someone imported these into >Germany as I have seen a couple of them there at car shows.

Yup, it's the Brazilian VW K-G 1600TC

Volkswagen do Brasil was good at injecting some Latin style into the air-cooled VeeDubs of the
    1970s. In the case of the 1600TC it was with the help of Italian stylist Giorgietto Giugiaro, who later did the Golf and Sirocco for the German parent, Volkswagen AG.

• Options

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    bhill2 said:

But what's with those grilles up front?

Ventilation for the spare tire?
  • Options
    '64 Electra coupe?
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473

bhill, you've got yourself a nice fleet, there!

Why thank you. My wife and I picked up the Mercedes in '91. We were shopping for a new car (Toyota, Pontiac, something like that). I saw the ad for the '85 at a local dealer, and for some reason we decided to go look at it. Turns out that dealership had sold the car new, serviced it the entire time the owner had it, and took it in on trade for a newer MB. It had 70,000 miles, but they offered a 2 year warrantee so we pulled the trigger. That was 23 years and 200,000 miles ago, so I consider it one of our better purchases. I would plan to be buried in it except my wife would paint wheels on a pine box, call that good enough, and keep the car.

Oh, and I will also expound on the Jag. It is our second one. We originally bought a '99, which we enjoyed immensely until a guy blew a stop sign and drove his Buick into the right front. Spun the car around almost 180 degrees. My wife and I opened our doors and got out to survey the damage (I should mention that our car was a convertible). They took the other driver away on a back board. The Jag was totaled so we walked into the dealership and bought another one the same color combination (carnival red over ivory leather). We love this one too.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    texases said:

'64 Electra coupe?

Yup, it's a 1964 Buick Electra Sport Coupe. I'm not a big fan of Land Yachts but there's something about 1960s Buicks i've always liked, especially Electras, Wildcats and Rivs.

• Options