Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dash lights are out when day time running lights are on.

dapperdon1dapperdon1 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2016 in Toyota
I've got a problem that no one seems to have ever heard of, including Toyota. My dash lights do not work while driving when my daytime running lights (DRL) are on. However, when the parking lights or headlights are on, the dash lights work fine. Before you ask, the dash lights DID work at one time while driving the the DRL on. All the fuses check okay. This is really an annoyance because the interior of the car is pretty dark....even in the daytime.
Furthermore, this is not a problem with my Toyota Camry or my Toyota Yaris.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331

I've got a problem that no one seems to have ever heard of, including Toyota. My dash lights do not work while driving when my daytime running lights (DRL) are on. However, when the parking lights or headlights are on, the dash lights work fine. Before you ask, the dash lights DID work at one time while driving the the DRL on. All the fuses check okay. This is really an annoyance because the interior of the car is pretty dark....even in the daytime.
    Furthermore, this is not a problem with my Toyota Camry or my Toyota Yaris.

In all of my vehicles, dash lights don't come on unless the lights are on (DRLs don't count).

I think that's pretty standard across most makes. (I don't have a Toyota, though).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    In checking the associated schematics, the dash lights are powered by the park light relay which is not activated when the DRL's are commanded on. The DRL's are created by several relays that take both headlights and provide a separate power source from the headlight switch and convert them to a series circuit limiting the system current flow and brightness of the lamps.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So are you saying from the schematic that his dash lights don't activate when the DRL are on?
  • Options
    That is correct, they do not urn on the dash lights with the DRL's.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    Any examples of cars that do turn on the dash lights with just the DRLs on?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    None that comes to mind.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So how come so many people drive around in the dark with only their DRLs on? Are they saving their night vision by not illuminating the speedometer? B)