Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Yes, they axed the accord hybrid. They will probably bring it back once they re-do it a lil better.

No more hybrids in the bigger cars. Honda has decided to go diesel in the bigger cars like the Accord. Cheaper and the same or better fuel economy as the hybrid.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    According to the EPA the PZEV Accord does no better. In fact for some vehicles the PZEV versions do a tad worse because of more emissions equipment.

Any Accord 4-cyl stick will beat the hybrid in real driving. The hybrid was not designed for mpg.

BTW I was wrong about my worse tank ever (driving in cold weather) that I posted earlier. I entered the numbers in the speadsheet and it was 31.9 for the tank not 30.5. I had remembered incorrectly. The 29.xx for my last leg in single digit temps was correct though.

Now that winter is here my lifetime mpg has gone from 34 and is about to cross below 33. My rolling 10 tank average was as high as 35.8 but is now 31.3 Parly from colder weather and patly because my 500+ mile trip on flat back roads has been replaced by a 400 mile trip with faster roads and more hills.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..Now that winter is here my lifetime mpg has gone from 34 and is about to cross below 33.........

....anyway you look at it, those are really decent averages...........

You just might be using Mr. Smith's System of Space Cushion Driving (honestly that's no put-on).........

He offered to stand me to a drink long ago at a trade fair........

Aim High when steering
    Keep your scan moving
    Pass with caution
    Leave yourself an out
    Read the road ahead

He was quite a guy (I'd called him 'Dr Smith' - - - as I thought he was a college prof). I can't repeat his response here...................

season's best, ez...... (and those are truly positive fuel numbers)
  • Options
    tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    He was quite a guy (I'd called him 'Dr Smith' - - - as I thought he was a college prof). I can't repeat his response here...................

Maybe he thought you meant Dr. Smith as in the guy from "Lost in Space" :surprise:
    That certainly wouldn't be a compliment. ;)
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    That would make sense. More equipment more weight, yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, I'm happy with what I'm getting, a solid 26-27, periodically lower because of the temperatures and the fact that humans have to sit in the car and like to be warm. :)

Anyhow, I continue to tweak my driving, but in the end I just live too darn close to work, not walking distance, not even really biking distance especially at 9:30 pm, but too close for a car to do very well. Eight miles is just not a good distance in an LX-I4, they probably need a little more time to warm up. It probably doesn't help that I shoot it up to 85 once in awhile to pass a big line of idiots all weaving in and out of their respective lanes. :blush:

Also, anybody who's ever heard of Minnesota nice is dead wrong. Nobody let's anybody onto the freeway and everybody rides up everybody else's tailpipe. Not me of course. ;)

Well enough rambling, this is way off subject.
  • Options
    caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    please specify your accord stats.....yr?.....lx..ex...exl?...and do you know if the pzev only comes in an exL or can you get it kin the lx..etc.......
    Reguarding my statement earlier on the PZEV's in ... greenhybrid.com there is a forum of several PZEV owners....all with the EX-L accord...several of them are getting high 40's for mpg....was wondering if urs is an ex-l as well? p.s. thiers are all 2005's

thx caaz
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Yes, mines is an EX-L and is a 2007. PZEV is avaliable in all 4-cylinder Accords only in the restricted states, including California. Otherwise, it's LEV in all other states.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Honda has been doing very good job to attain high MPG. My oldest Accord '95 I4 still achieves 27 - 32+ MPG because I have well maintained it. I expect the PZEP '08 V6 will do as good MPG as my other Accord. The more my friend looks at his '08 Accord V6 the more he likes it. It's very hard to resist buying a new Honda.
  • Options
    Hey all-

Just posting to say that winter kills mileage. Before winter hit I was averaging 27-29 mpg. Now 23-25 :cry: , the last three tanks have hovered around that mark. I haven't been doing anything too drastically different. But with the "winter-mix" heavy snow and everything else mileage really blows. Here in Minnesota it's been snowing since about 6pm yesterday and it's now 9am local time. It sucks.

Still love the car. Just wish there was some way to keep the cold, but lose the snow. I hate the heat, but I also hate the snow. Either way I look at it I get screwed. :) Oh well. Nature of the beast, I grew up here and here I'll stay.

Just thought I'd share. Anybody else whose experianced drastic changes in mileage since the snow started to fly, I'm sure everybody'd like to hear it. Unfortunately this only applies to about half of us in the lower 48. I can't figure out who's luckier. The southerners with lots of heat and little snow or the northerners with medium high heat during the summer and lots of snow during the winter. ;)
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The mileage goes down whether you are in the frigid cold of Minnesota or the 25-55 degrees here on average in the winter. Winter blend fuels are what really kills mileage.

I usually drop from 29ish in my commute down 1 solid MPG, maybe a little more, in my 2006 Accord.

For some reason, my 1996 (LX, 2.2L Automatic, no VTEC, 177k mi) really takes the drop hard - I think it is because it takes so long to warm up. I was on my way to work today, having driven three miles of 45 MPH roads and five miles of interstate at 65 MPH before my car would "Lock-Up" the the torque converter, meaning I was running 3000 RPM at 70MPH, 2800 or so at 65MPH. Those extra RPM really add up when we're talking nearly 10 minutes of time. That car goes from 27 on average down to about 24-25.
  • Options
    I can see why they do it that way with the winter-blend for the air quality, but shoot it's still a big pain in the neck. Oh well. Comes with life. I know having huge mounds of snow on the car and all over the road doesn't help.

One thing I've found is that having ABS is nice in most situations, but sometimes in the snow it can be worse than regular. The tires keep pulsing and you can't stop. The other day I was coming up to a red light doing no more than about 7mph and hitting the brake and the ABS activated and I went right into the intersection, with a semi coming. Talk about scary. I guess I'm still not completely used to ABS, but I'm getting there. I have been able to guage how fast I'm going versus how fast I should be going. Something a lot of 19 year olds can't say. Then again Minnesota drivers are idiots in the winter. They're rude and they still don't slow down. I know this because I've lived here all my life. I try to drive well, but I'll admit I'm still a little wet behind the ears. ;) Oh well. The one's I really hate are people in SUVs with 4-wheel drive who think they can do anything even when the roads are pretty much an ice-rink.

Uh-oh. I'm rambling, I'm going to shut up now.
  • Options
    One thing I've found is that having ABS is nice in most situations, but sometimes in the snow it can be worse than regular. The tires keep pulsing and you can't stop. The other day I was coming up to a red light doing no more than about 7mph and hitting the brake and the ABS activated and I went right into the intersection, with a semi coming.

All this means is that you would have skidded further than you did with ABS engaging. ABS detects lockup - you would not have stopped sooner without ABS because there was not sufficent traction for you to stop without locking up your wheels.
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    2006 Accord LE V6.

For the 2007 calendar year, I put on nearly 10,000 miles and averaged 22.51mpg. Best tank (mostly highway) returned 28.51mpg. Worst tank (mostly city) returned 18.08.

Most folks could do better than me, I suppose, because this car is used as a station car - the worst possible driving, 1.25 miles each way, 10x per week, 2 out of every 3 weeks. It's also used as an extra car for my teenage daughter to drive and for when my wife and I are looking to keep miles off our other leased vehicles. I would think this car could easily average 24mpg to 25mpg in a more usual mixture of highway/city driving.

Like the car a lot overall. Drives nicely - good fun to drive combination of decent power and fairly nimble handling. Respectable mpg for a V6. Only regret so far is cloth seats, because everything sticks to them and I find it necessary to keep a lint brush in the car to clean the seats. It's a losing battle. It was a compromise to keep the monthly payment lower.
  • Options
    gjagja Member Posts: 28
    One thing I've found is that having ABS is nice in most situations, but sometimes in the snow it can be worse than regular. The tires keep pulsing and you can't stop. The other day I was coming up to a red light doing no more than about 7mph and hitting the brake and the ABS activated and I went right into the intersection, with a semi coming.

All this means is that you would have skidded further than you did with ABS engaging. ABS detects lockup - you would not have stopped sooner without ABS because there was not sufficent traction for you to stop without locking up your wheels.

No. Snow and loose gravel are 2 of the surfaces where ABS can take a longer distance to stop. Just google "abs stopping in snow" and you'll find many references to it.
  • Options
    Hey all-

As I said earlier winter mileage blows. Here is my first true sample, meaning I didn't put small amounts of gas in over an extended period. I went a total of 326.8 miles between fill-ups and used a total of 14.897 gallons for an overall yield of 21.94 mpg :cry: this is down from an average 27 during late summer and fall. Oh well since I don't drive very much compared to those who have long commutes I'm still not getting mileage that's too bad. I know I'd be getting worse in a 6 so I'm not all upset.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    For the record, I've driven another 3 tanks of gas (360-420 miles on each tank) --mostly interstate driving -- and I've calculated 26.2, 26.4 and 27.2 mpg.

With regard to antilock on snow pack, I'm convinced it takes longer to stop! I particularly hate it when you have one dry track and one slick track. The antilock engages and doesn't allow the slick wheel to simply lock and have the driver countersteer on the dry track to get things slowed down. Antilock is useful on high friction slides. . . . on dry pavement, sliding melts the tires and lubricates the surface to keep you from stopping faster. On snow, sliding can increases friction. I assume you cannot turn off ABS with the VSC button? Even if you can, I guess its a problem because I love the VSC function and wouldn't want to turn it off on the very surface where it is needed most!
  • Options
    I assume you cannot turn off ABS with the VSC button? Even if you can, I guess its a problem because I love the VSC function and wouldn't want to turn it off on the very surface where it is needed most!

Nope, you can't. VSA actually USES the anti-lock system.
  • Options
    Therein lies the rub. You like ABS and VSC, I don't have VSC so I can't compare, but sometimes having a computer make your decisions isn't always the best. The other day when I had the 7mph incident into the intersection I think I would have been able to stop had the ABS not gone off. I'm not sure. It would be nice to have a little more control over things. Oh well, a person I used to work with always said, it sounded stupid but it kind of makes sense, "If ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need for skillets." Meaning you can speculate all you want, but there's never really a good answer. The whole what if. You just never know. I'm rambling again. Sorry.

ABS is nice, but like any other technology it requires extra care and a little more knowledge. I'm still getting used to it since this is only the second car I've had with it. Sometimes I think it's too sensitve if that's possible.
  • Options
    Having slid all the way through an intersection in nothing more than rain-slicked roads of downtown Birmingham in my 1996 non-ABS equipped Accord, I'll just say I wouldn't wish for a disengagement of it, probably ever. I hit the brakes, they of course locked. When you lock up, there is no steering control, you basically plow in the direction in which you were headed when you locked up the brakes. I tried pumping them, but I couldn't do it fast enough to help matters much, and ended up just gunning it through the intersection, running the red light (it had just turned which is why I was (attempting) stopping in a hurry).

In those situations with some traction but not much, with ABS, at least I could have steered around something. Can't do that when just gliding through, locked up! :sick:

:shades:
  • Options
    I see what you're saying. I thought ABS was standard on all Accords starting in 95, guess I was wrong. Anyway, yeah I understand about being able to steer around things. It's more meant to keep people from careening into an embankment, it just takes a bit to get used to the increased time to stop. I'm usually more worried about cops or I'd blow through lights if there's nobody coming if I know it's slick. Takes a bit to get used to, but I'll manage.

It's always seems to go off at the weirdest times, when one don't expect it to, but that's why it's there I guess. Oh well, I think we're beating a dead horse. I'm going to stop now.
  • Options
    I see what you're saying. I thought ABS was standard on all Accords starting in 95, guess I was wrong.

ABS wasn't standard across the lineup until the Gen VII model (2003). They were made standard on the Accord EX model in 1992, however.

Have you seen the Edmunds Model Histories? They're pretty cool, and very imformative. Here is the one for the the history of the Honda Accord.
  • Options
    Very interesting. Thanks I didn't even know they were there. I looked at a few of them.
  • Options
    applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    average ~25mpg. less than expected.
  • Options
    A bunch of questions you'll likely receive to get answers. What year is your car? Do you have a V6 or an I4, four banger? How far do you drive to work each way? How much do you drive in the city? How fast do you drive on the freeway? What is the tire pressure at? Do you accelerate roughly or more smooth and steady?

These are a just a number of questions people will want to know before they can give advice, if advice is what you're after. If you don't want advice, but just want to make observations that's fine too. I'm just repeating what I've seen time and time again. Good luck.

Guys if I've forgotten anything, sorry don't kill me. ;)

Happy Trails
  • Options
    And the apprentice becomes the master. :)
  • Options
    And the apprentice becomes the master. :)
  • Options
    Well I've been paying attention. :blush: I still try to adjust my driving style, it's an uphill battle. Unlearning old habits, even if only three years old is difficult. Tee hee.
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    We bought a 07 EX-L 4 Dr AT NAVi w/2.4 I4 for $18,400. ;) It has 19K miles and all service done at a dealer near Atlanta since new. OK...first tank 31.5 mpg (409/12.98 gal of regular) was 20% Atlanta traffic in the rain with defroster on and 80% highway at 70-75mph. Car was fully loaded with 4 passengers and a trunk load of stuff. Tires were at 27 psi. I know...I know...I have 37 psi front and 35 rear now. Just a tad over the 32/30 recommended.

I tried the keep it at 2,000 rpm driving style, but found I am more of a 3,500 rpm accelerator type guy. I used cruise on the highway and was surprised that it did not seem to down shift to maintain speed coming into Birmingham, AL on the rolling hills of I-20.

So far, a sweet car and worth the wait. Thanks for all on the forum and the hosts in helping me decide on a ride.
  • Options
    I live in the Birmingham area... the hills will hurt mileage (especially between Anniston and Bham!). You seem to be doing well though! Congrats!
  • Options
    Just curious, wouldn't running the tires at 37/35 increase your risk of a blowout? Unless your tires are rated that high. I know personally mine, which I believe are Bridgestone are only rated to 35.

Speaking of air pressure, I took my car to get 4.5 inch nail taken out right near the side-wall :surprise: and to get it plugged. The main reason I went in was because that tire was constantly 5-10 psi lower than the other 3 so I figured it may be a valve stem, as I'd tried putting air in earlier that day and it wouldn't accept air from the nozzle.

Long story short, the guy plugging them said that you have to check the pressure when they are warm to hot, after driving, or you'll over-fill the tires. I've always read in all my manuals that you need to check them cold. Which should I go by? The person who plugged the tire was a mechanic.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "...the guy plugging them said that you have to check the pressure when they are warm to hot, after driving"

That's why he plugs tires for a living. He hasn't a clue.

Since you mentioned that your tires may be that brand, click on the Inflation Pressure link at the left side of this Bridgestone website:

http://www.tiresafety.com/maintenance.asp

Your Honda Owner's Manual and all other tire and vehicle manufacturers say the same thing. Check pressure when the tire are cold, or driven less than a mile or two.
  • Options
    That's what I figured. Thank you for the link. It's very helpful.
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Concur...check when cold. I have the original Michelin tires which are rated for 1356 lbs of load at 44 psi each. Which means the four tires together can carry a total load of 5424 lbs and the Accord weighs about 3300 lbs. The engineers calculate the ideal tire pressure (listed on the door jam or glove compatment and in the manual) as 32 front and 30 rear based on the vehicle weight and passengers/cargo. The 32/30 psi number is designed to give you maximum performance (ideal cross section in contact with the ground) and life for your tire.

I could run the tires at 44 psi and would not worry about a blow out. What I would loose is optimum road holding ability in turns, traction on take-off (especially slippery surfaces), and tread life as the center section of the tire will wear out faster than the outer edges. By increasing a few pounds over recommended, I hope to gain a couple miles per gallon and even the tire wear from the first owner running the tires at slightly below optimum pressure.
  • Options
    So going beyond the max sidewall pressure imprinted on the side of the tire isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as the car isn't too heavy? Like I said the max on mine is 35, as per the sidewall. Then again one of the tires in the back has been plugged, so I don't know if that would affect it's overall strength. I might push the front to 35 and the back to 33. I don't know.

Since it is best to check them cold is it also best to fill them cold? I bought a small compressor. About $10 at the Wal-Bourgh, and don't know if I should run the tires a bit or keep them cold to fill.

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not the pressure indicated on the sidewall is max. cold or max. hot. I hope I don't sound stupid. :confuse:
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    You can fill them when you check them.... in other words, when they are cold.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    If the max. pressure stated on my tire is 40psi, I usually run them about 37 . . . a couple of pounds below their maximum. Tire heat does appreciably increase tire pressure -- so I don't feel it is necessary to inflate them right up to their maximum. Also, contrary to one of the previous posts, the heavier the load, the MORE tire pressure you need. Heavy loads cause less-inflated tires to deform to a greater degree. The deformation in the tire (i.e., the slight bulge you get right where the tire meets the pavement) is the place where tire heat is created. The heavier the load, the more the tire wants to deform-- so the more pressure you need. Of course, the tire is rated to only a certain load and certain pressure -- so you can't just keep adding weight and keep increasing tire pressure -- the highest you can go is the maximum load under the maximum pressure (of course, because of liability concerns, I would guess most manufacturers factor in a considerable margin between the actual failure threshold and the maximums stated on the tire) I was involved in the Firestone litigation with separated tread. In every case I reviewed, the tread was unacceptably weak, but only separated when people were driving 85+mph with a heavy load and under-inflated tires.

One thing I think about when considering tire pressure is the effect it has on the suspension. A rock hard tire requires the suspension to absorb every little bump in the road. Even a slightly less inflated tire (like the difference between 35 lbs and 39lbs on a max. pressure 40lbs tire) will increase the ride quality and reduce wear on the suspension. Perhaps this is over-thinking the issue -- but this is another reason I won't keep my tires at the maximum allowable rating.
  • Options
    bug4,

Other than trying to squeeze out another mile or two per gallon of fuel economy, why would you overinflate your tires so far beyond the automobile manufacturer's and the tire manufacturer's recommendations?

Such overinflation is like driving around on marbles. Your traction and handling are heavily compromised, perhaps to a dangerously unsafe degree.

The maximum pressure number molded into your tire sidewall is not a recommended driving pressure. It is, in essence, just a safety warning.
  • Options
    I also have the Bridgestone tires, but mine say 51 psi on the sidewall.

More pressure prevents blowouts - remember the Fireston/Explorer saga. The underinflated tires kept blowing out.

More pressure = less flex = less heat (and better handling) = longer life = less chance of blowouts. Better mpg is a nice side effect. Some people go over the pressure on the tire, but I don't. I run at 39 psi on all 4.

And yes, the guy fixing tires does not have a clue. Always check pressure when the tires are cold.

For reference the skinny tires on my bike take 100 psi, and some go to 120 psi.
  • Options
    I guess the thing I'd be most worried about would be running over a pot-hole and having no give versus having them at the right pressure and having the right amount of give. I know about 10 years ago I was going through Muncie, IN with my mom and the roads were full of cracks, pot-holes and all manner of bad conditions and I thought that those would be sure to cause a blowout if the tires were over-inflated. Although I think this in hindsight as I was only 10 at the time.
  • Options
    "More pressure = less flex = less heat (and better handling) = longer life = less chance of blowouts"

More pressure means shorter tire life for the center of the tread. Kind of like rolling on a very narrow portion of the tire where the balance of the tread barely makes contact with the road. Visualize a ball with a very small contact point. Also visualize a pair of old sneakers with unevenly worn soles.

More pressure also means much poorer handling in wet or otherwise slippery conditions. The smaller the contact patch, the lower the tire's ability to handle the slippery condition.

How does less heat equate to better handling? Facts and reputable sources please?

Less chance of blowouts? Facts and reputable sources please?
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Agree. I had rather run 33/32 in my Accord and use the lower pressures to soften the jolts to my suspension components and my person. Just my .02.
  • Options
    Or Accord tires & wheels forum?

Oh well, to throw another vote out there, I usually run at 35/33. Gives me some leeway for an abrupt temp drop (some mornings are in the forties here in Bham, some in the teens. (PSI drops 1 for every 10 degrees Farenheit).
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Interestingly enough, whenever I get my oil changed at the dealer, they do some quick checks and they always check tire pressure and add air to the recommended pressure. I usually keep them at 34 and 32 and I always forget to tell them to leave the tires alone.

It also bugs me that they do this after I've been driving, sometimes long distances. So much for checking the tires when they are cold. :mad:
  • Options
    Blane -

I will be brief since this is the wrong forum.

The center may wear out faster than the edge (never has for me though), but it still wears slower than the center of a tire with less pressure.

Stiffness of more pressure more than compensates for slightly smaller tire patch. Try going around a corner with underinflated tires - they will screech like crazy because they have no traction.

In low traction situations the smaller contact patch helps. Think about an ice pick vs a toboggen.

No, the heat does not effect handling, it is just another benefit of less flex.

Anyway the tire forums have all this info. Also a visit or call to tirerack.com.

The relation to mpg remains the relevant portion to this thread. Higher pressure gives better mpg.

Sort of back on topic - very cold here this week. I am really struggling with mpg now. 6 degrees this AM. My 10 tank average has gone from a high of 35 mpg this summer to just over 30 mpg now. Temperature is a huge factor (of course 4 snow tires don't help much either).
  • Options
    At least you'll be getting that new North Dakota fuel one of these days.
  • Options
    wooderwooder Member Posts: 9
    What kind of milage are the new Accords getting....mainly the 4 bangers....
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    In my 08 LX 5spd I'm seeing a steady 25-26 in mixed driving with 27+ when I add in more highway trips.

That's on chunky snow tires and cruddy winter blend gas here in Chilly VT though.

I'm hoping got see close to 30 in mixed driving come summertime.
  • Options
    You're doing better than I am right now. I'm averaging 22 in my 03 LX I4. I know mileage improves with each passing year meaning each new model year not each year in the same car, but I want spring back where I can get 27 mpg. :(
  • Options
    Agree. I had rather run 33/32 and use the lower pressures to soften the jolts to my suspension components and my person. Just my .02.
  • Options
    Using lower octane fuel is common at high elevations.