Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    according2u06according2u06 Member Posts: 95
    I see. So, in your case with some hilly roads you needed to do higher RPM to achieve higher MPG. I know when I got my best tank (around 32), I was doing around 60~65 MPH with short periods of 55( I wanted to stay at this speed longer, but I really didn't want to impede the traffic). I've always thought that in order to achieve the best MPG on flat highways, the optimal RPM would be around or below the 2000 mark(around 60 MPH for Accord).

to jaxs1: I've got nothing against the Civic and I agreed with everything you posted. In fact, I love the Civic too. I am just amazed at the fact that some can actually get 40 MPG in a car other than of those compact cars ie Civic, Corolla and/or the hybrids etc. :)
  • Options
    Wow 43 MPG!!! :surprise:

With regard to the 08, while they are no doubt better cars, I really think they've gotten too big and heavy. It would probably be hard to achieve the same MPG as 7th Gen Accords until the refresh(especially the V6), I agree.

Also I had hoped that they would put the 3.2 engine from the TL to their V6 instead of the 3.5 VCM. It seems the VCM isn't working too well based on what I read here on these forums....
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    My 08 EX 4 coupe has about 1100 miles thus far, and I have been getting similar mileage.... 19-20 mpg, but I suspect in warmer weather, with some more miles we'll be able to get better mpgs...
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Like the others have said -- I wouldn't worry. I have the 08 I4 and regularly get 24-26 mpg. But, I'm a very conservative driver and its almost all highway miles. When I throw in much town driving, the mileage goes down in the 22-23 range. I have almost 6000 miles on my unit!

Dont' worry -I dont think its your engine. I think summer will treat us better. I will admit, unless my car jumps into the 30mpg range in the summer, I'm going to be disappointed. I didn't get the 4cyl because I thought it was a better car -- I got it because I thought it would return stellar fuel economy!
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    My new '08 Accord V6 EX-L @ 358 miles gets 23.4 MPG mixed driving. What are your curent MPG McpdJohn & Parviz?
  • Options
    hank119hank119 Member Posts: 39
    viet
    I haven't seen too many postings of the 2008 V6 mileage.
    Here's mine:
    Miles_____ Gallons ______%Highway ____ MPG
    327.1 ____ 14,.055 _______ 60% ________ 23.3
    311.0 ____ 12.600 _______ 70% ________ 24.7
    273.7 ____ 10.050 _______ 85% ________ 27.2

Average since purchase: 911.8 mi. / 36.705 gal. = 24.84 mpg

All driving was done in Florida. Temperatures in the 50's thru 70's

Highway travel at 55 to 75 mph.
  • Options
    Hank119:

Your 3 MPG figures are impressive. Looks like the VCM does help MPG. Are you happy with your MPG & VCM performance? Are there any noises, surges or vibrations pertaining to VCM? In other room, Golf & Phantomy keep complaining about VCM of their '08 Accord V6. I am getting the 2nd fuel tank tomorrow.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    My overall mileage over the last 1600 miles is 23.2 and with the last tank so far 23.4 on 330 miles. Combined 35% City 65% freeway.
  • Options
    For some reason you are getting a little better mileage than Viet and me. Maybe the weather or our driving style. I would like to get closer to 27 mpg too.
  • Options
    I need to check the curb weight on my Pilot EXL to make sure I am comparing apples to apples, but I think except for the VCM both my cars (Accord EXL and thye Pilot) have the same size engine and the mpg on the Accord is MUCH better!
  • Options
    It's been deadly cold in Northern California for the last couple of weeks so it impacts my MPG. I have owned many Honda Accord & Civic and I enjoy the Accord's V6 power and its smoothness with least fuel consumption.

My in-laws' 4-cylinder 4WD Subaru (appr. 200 HP or less) & Honda CRV I4 4WD(167 HP) only get about 21 - 23 MPG. I prefer my '08 V6 EX-L over those 2 cars. My wife asked me why. My brief answer was the '08 V6 EX-L offers better value to me. My friend's '04 Pilot gets 16 MPG. I like the '08 Accord with 3.5 liter engine, 268 HP and MPG is about same as older Accord.
  • Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    thanks to all. :D
    now I feel a little better. I guess I have to wait for another several months to see how it is. It's been freezingly cold in Boston these weeks. :(
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The Pilot weighs 700-800 pounds more than the Accord and the aerodynamics are much worse.
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    I get around 35 MPG combined (80% on highway and 20% on city). When driving on highway and lock it with cruise to 55 mph with A/C turned off, I continue to get 40 MPG. Driving 55 mph on a steep hill is not the most fuel-efficient point as what many people will think. I will need to drive 35-40 mph with emergency lights on in order to maintain about 40 mpg. If driving slightly downhill, shift to neutral (N), which brings the RPM down to 500 constantly, and let the car on its own drive the fastest it can go with minimal braking. One time, I get almost 80 MPG when shifting to neutral (N) for 100 miles downhill driving with speed at 75-80 mph. Do not leave it on Drive (D) for downhill. You will get less than 35 MPG, since the RPM requires it to go around 3,000. People need to slow down in order to get high MPG and shift to neutral if necessary if there will be a long downhill driving. This is from a 2007 Accord EX-L.
  • Options
    Got a total of 382.1 miles on 12.763 gallons for the last tank, which worked out to be 29.94 MPG! This is with about 70% highway miles at speeds of mostly 60~75 MPH, with a few spurts to 80 MPH range. Obviously, the highway miles did help a lot but I'd attribute 2~3 increase to the slightly warmer weather last week. :D
    With weather getting further warmer and more careful driving I can't help but expect better MPG to come :shades:
  • Options
    Your car is a manual transmission right? So you have gotten 40 MPG over the whole tank? If so you are the 3rd person I see on this board that ever hit the 40 mark. :D

How did you calculate the 80 MPG? I understand you can get virtually infinite MPG downhill with foot off the gas but how did you calculate it? :confuse:
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    It's from an automatic. I looked at the fuel gauge, and it only dropped one itty-bitty mark when going on neutral for 100 miles. I think it's more than 80 MPG. It may be 100 MPG, but who knows.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    It's from an automatic. I looked at the fuel gauge, and it only dropped one itty-bitty mark when going on neutral for 100 miles.

Just a couple of thoughts.... coasting with an automatic transmission may not be the best choice for your engine, brakes, etc. Not to mention the legality of it all. And unless you have a trip computer, ScanGauge, etc, looking at the gas gauge won't give you very accurate mileage info, as you note.
  • Options
    Thanks. That explains the 16-18 mpg. Still a very nice car.
  • Options
    viet

With respect to your question about my car's VCM performance I can only say that I am very happy with it. Thus far. It behaves just as I would expect it to. I've read the posts on the VCM forum and my car does not exhibit any signs of the strange behavior they report. They must be having problems that are specific to their vehicles.I hope they can get Honda to locate the cause of their problems and fix it.

As for my MPG performance, I consider it quite in line with the predicted EPA values.
    The dependence of the MPG values on %Highway travel pulls the average down from the 29 mpg EPA highway figure quite quickly if your percentage of stop and go traffic increases even moderately. Also, I'm doing my driving in Florida. Florida has warm weather and almost no hills. I don't know where you're doing your driving but some of the bitter cold weather we've been hearing about doesn't help gas mileage.
    Let us know about your second tankful.
  • Options
    Parviz,
    If you were impressed by the 27 mpg I got with my V6, you have to realize this was achieved on a mix of about 85% h'way and 15% city. It was also warm (that's Florida for you). However, I think the biggest variation in mileage does come from the mix of city and h'way.

For example, if your car performed just as the EPA numbers predict, you would theoretically have to do 93% h'way travel to get 28 mpg. At 85.9% H'way travel you'd get 27mpg. To get 23 mpg you would need a mix of about 50 - 50 H'way - City.

Of course exactly what is meant by actual City and H'way travel will depend on our individual driving styles. I don't do jackrabbit starts, race to a traffic light and jam on my brakes, cut in and out of traffic and so on. My highway speed is at the speed limit (Interstates in our area have 70 mph limits, some highways 65 mph.)
  • Options
    Hank:

I had had several Honda Civic, Accord & motorcyles for over 40 years. Nice thing is their MPGs are all consistently good and in line with EPA figures from 1st day to the 13th year. Until the day my '95 Accord consumed oil @ 200K miles its engine still ran smoothly. NEVER A SINGLE BREAKDOWN IN 13 YEARS. My '92 Accord @ 240K miles immediately after changing timing belt the engine ran smoothly like new. My 86 Civic @ 120K miles ran [non-permissible content removed] new. Therefore, I did not need to test drive much my '08 V6 EX-L before I bought it.

I just reviewed some Motorcyles' MPGs. Interesting thing is Honda motorcycles' MPGs are best. But (big) motorcyles including Vespa (Italian motor cycle) MPGs are only a LITTLE BIT LESS THAN AUTOMOBILES' MPGs. I do not want to spend $10K to buy a Kawasaki 700cc or $5K for a 250cc Vespa.
  • Options
    brm128brm128 Member Posts: 4
    I have gotten 26.8 on my last three tanks, about 100 mi city and 350 mi rush hour commute on freeway, have about 2400 mi total so far
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant a 250cc Vespa (motorcycle) gets only 60MPG. A 650 -1000cc morotycle gets about 40-50 MPG while my Accord '05 hybrid 255HP get 29-37MPG & '08 V6 EX-L 268 HP gets average mixed 24MPG. My other 2 V6 EX Accord get average 23 - 26MPG. My '95 Accord EX I4 I just sold got 27MPG mixed & 32MPG (90% freeway & 10% city). It got average mixed 27-28MPG. My '86 1.5-liter Civic got 32 - 39+ MPG.

Good MPG depends on how one drives with light acceleration, no abrupt braking and well maintains the car to keep it in top condition.
  • Options
    V....Am I inferring correctly your 92 Accord ran less smoothly before the timing belt change? It is common for the enginge not run as smoothly prior to a timing belt change,then better after the change? Thanks.
  • Options
    Blufz1,

No, my '92 Accord used to run smoothly. I meant immediately after timing belt change & valves adjustment at some 240K miles, its engine ran like day 1 when I checked it out the shop. I was 101% impressed with Honda technology. That car was built in Japan with VIN starting with letter J like my '05 Accord hybrid.

I have enjoyed all my 7 Civic/ Accord (86-08) for their solidity, roomy, power, etc. I consider them pieces of advanced technolgy and also pieces of fine art. Accord just gets better & better. I read somewhere in Edmunds a guy bought his 10th Accord and another guy bought his 15th Camry. My wife bought only 1 Camry '90 and oil got leak into spark splug tube at some 55K miles so the Camry only ran on 3 engines. That's why I keep coming back to Accord. If I win lottery, the first thing I do will be buying a most expensive new Acura, not a Mercedes or BMW...even though the '08 new seat & neck/ head support hurted my "BUTTS" and back a little bit during first few days. Now I get used to those. For the same amount of money one gets more amenities and great technology with Honda/ Acura. I checked out some '08 $40-50K Volvo. They are not equiped with nice amenities like Honda.

I enjoy every single button in all my Accord & Civic so far. Yesterday, I made an urgent cell phone call while drving my '08 and the other party answered me on my Bluetooth via my car's speakers. It was pretty much exciting. I eventually found out interesting things in my new Accord day by day. Have to read the user manual soon.

My in-law paid some $27K+ to buy for his second '07 Honda CR-V I4 AWD. I am not sure if it has Navi.He got some 22-23 MPG. The other in-law Subaru hatchback 4 engines gets 21-23 MPG.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I share tallman's sentiment. Leaving your automatic in N at highway speeds is pretty dangerous.

And, should you ever put your transmission back in Drive while moving at speeds like that, God help it. You're just asking for problems doing that.

You can get 40 MPG without putting your car in neutral. I know, I've done it more than once, but not going 80 miles per hour.

Going downhill at 75 MPH is only 2500 RPM; it's not like there's massive engine braking at that RPM.

Trust me, what you save in gas by going to Neutral for those downhill sections, you'll likely shell out later exponentially when you have to replace your transmission if you keep this up.
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    I agree. My mom had a car that was severely damaged by switching from drive into neutral and back into drive. It would have been around $1600 to fix it, but since she couldn't afford to fix it and pay for the vehicle she had to surrender the vehicle.

I'd say just take the foot off the gas and let gravity do the work. I would think the re-engaging drive after coasting in neutral could tear both engine and transmission apart. Unless you're a glutton for spending large sums of money for something like that. ;)
  • Options
    V... Thanks, I'm approaching my 1st TB change at 105k are just wondered if there was a noticible difference before and after the TB change.
  • Options
    Blufz1,

Even a synthetic engine oil change will initiate a noticeable smoothness. Keep good maintenance record & well maintain the car to make components work together in good "accord/ harmony". All my Honda never broke down or needed a tow. @ 253K miles everything in my Accord '95 worked properly except the SRS needed adjustment (cost $350). Most parts were original. MPG was same 27 - 32 as day 1.
  • Options
    sigp226sigp226 Member Posts: 16
    Guys,
    Bought 08 EX V6 1/27/08.
    422 miles, 16.12 gallons, 70% highway, 26.13MPG
    Hope it will improve after properly broken in.
  • Options
    If you have a V6 I'd say you're doing great.
  • Options
    Yes it is a V6. I had a 06 Accord 4 cyl. 2.4l and it was very fuel effieient compared to the V6.
  • Options
    With the weather the way it's been lately, very cold, I've been struggling to get 24 mpg in my I4. Under the same conditions that I drove during the summer I was getting 27 or more. I usually drive in town with a fair bit of freeway on my days off. I don't let the car warm up before I leave, I just get in and go with a little pause to let everything catch up. With winter blend I think my mileage is suffering greatly. I live in Minnesota where we get a decent amount of snow, not as much as we used to, which isn't conducive to getting great mileage. When I take my brother up to get his daughter periodically I have gotten 33-35, but that is usually 90% freeway.

As a side note I do like how the numbers for the V6 are almost identical to the I4 unless I'm completely off. Hopefully spring will come soon and we can all get more out of every gallon. I've been trying to tweak my driving to better it.
  • Options
    I was going to tell you that it has been cold in Northern California but since you are from Minnesota, temperature now in N Cal is propbably warm according to Minnesota standards. The best MPG I ever got on my 06 2.4 was 33, that was 100% highway (a trip to Las Vegas in May). Many Acura TL owners reported over 30 (highway) easily on their 3.2 V6. My feeling is that my 06 2.4 auto is just maybe 10% or so more efficent compared to my 08 V6.
  • Options
    You're probably right. For me anything above 30, without wind, is t-shirt weather. I know my mileage will improve this spring because it was really good back in the fall. I also just replaced my air filter at 45,500 miles or so. The old one was all full of dirt and nastiness.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Last Friday, my wife drove 300 miles mostly highway (85 - 90%) and she got 26.05MPG on our '02 V6 EX in colder (40 - 45 degrees) weather in Northern California. My older '95 EX I4 @ 200K miles used to achieve 30 - 33 MPG in same 85% freeway trips.
  • Options
    sigp

Your mileage is excellent. For a quick way to calculate the "anticipated mileage"
    based on the EPA numbers you can use this equation:

mpg = 55.1/ (2.9 - Fh)
    where Fh is the fraction of total miles which were "highway miles"

mpg is mileage you should get if you drive like the EPA test results ( 19 City 29 H'way)

For 70% H'way, Fh = .7 and the result would be 25.045
    You're doing better than that at 26.13
  • Options
    Just curious where did you come up with that equation? Is there one that would work for in town?
  • Options
    That's about what my 02 V6 Accord gets. We just have 4 speed autos as you know.
  • Options
    Viet, you should have let her take the 08 Accord and test it out. At the rate you are driving it yourself that car is not goibg to get to the first 1000 miles for another year or so!

On a serious note, it seems like there is not much (maybe little) difference in MPG between the 02 and 08 V6's but two different engines. That is improvement.
  • Options
    Yes it is a V6. I had a 06 Accord 4 cyl. 2.4l and it was very fuel effieient compared to the V6.
    What I really meant was that my 06 2.4l was NOT very fuel efficient compared to the V6. Maybe a saving of less than 10%.
  • Options
    New technology has much improved MPG so difference between V6 MPG & I4 MPG is not significant. May be a few miles per gallon of fuel only.
  • Options
    Parviv,

Today, I had my son '03 V6 EX Coupe 4-wheel aligned, replacement of front brakes, checked all fluid. After that, It ran like BIG DREAM, solid, ful power (240HP), stable, straight, confident...BRAVO HONDA ACCORD COUPE. I know '08 Accord V6 EX- L is a big improvement.
  • Options
    Parviz,

Don't worry my "friend". @ some 58K miles, my '02 V6 EX ran like a big strong greyhound easily 1,000 miles back and forth N & S Cali. I enjoyed all my Accord V6 engines' revving up, purring nicely and ready for acceleration. And their MPGs are not bad.
  • Options
    tankbeans,

The equation is derived by simple algebra from the EPA numbers. For 2008 V-6 the EPA numbers are 19 city and 29 highway. Fh, the fraction highway is equal to 1-Fc, where Fc is the fraction city driving. The equation shows anticipated overall mpg when fraction highway is known.

Obviously, if the city fraction is say 0.3 then the highway portion is (1- 0.3) or 0.7. Therefore the same equation would work if you knew fraction of in-town driving.

Perhaps I should have posted a more generalized form of the equation. One that works for any combination of EPA values. The one I posted works only for 19 city, 29 highway.

The equation before factoring is

Eq.1 mpg = (19 x 29)/ (29 - Fh(29-19))

performing the multiplication and factoring yields:

Eq. 2 mpg = 55.1/(2.9 - Fh)
    This is the equation I posted earlier for the 2008 V-6

In Eq. 1 the 19 and 29 EPA numbers are apparent.

In general :

Eq 3 mpg = (EPA City x EPA H'way)/ (EPA H'way - Fh (EPA H'way - EPA City))

where mpg is the anticipated mixed mileage ( if you drive like EPA's testers)
  • Options
    Hank119, Parviz, Mcpdjohn et al.. ('08 V6 EX-L Club)

I drove my '08 V6 EX-L to see my dentist today while playing the CD to listen to my favorite singers. The odometer reading was only @ 400 miles now so I did not want to drive over 70MPH before the engine breaks in. Its performance is so impressive without any surges, vibrations or noises with VCM as Golf, Phantom or Donnegal have complained.

Its MPG was about @ 24.5 mixed at my first tank. The transmission is much advanced, compact and fast compared to my other V6 Accord '05, '03 and '02. My true feeling at the moment when I drove the car while listening to my favorite singers was if I died instantly at the time I was driving this car that would have been satisfactory enough to me because the car ran so smoothly and quiet like a big ship quietly sailing along its adventure while its stereo was playing very fine tunes.

Take a close look thoroughly inside and outside this '08 V6 EX-L on every single item to truly appreciate the smartness and practicality of Honda/ Acura engineering/ designing teams who built this car.
  • Options
    I am at 1800 miles now and everything is fine so far. The more I drive it the more I like it. But my MPG has been around 24 for the entire 1800 miles, 65% fwy driving.
  • Options
    Filled up yesterday and calculation came to 31.83 mpg(My second highest avg, Yay!). As usual, this is with about 70% highway at speeds of mostly 60~75 on highway and almost no A/C use. I am happy! :)
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Just to show how much mpg can vary and how different factors affect MPG, here are my latest numbers.

This is my worst tank ever of over 10 gallons. I got a shade under 20 mpg. Now lets see why this is so much below my best of 43+.

My average speed for the tank was 16 mph (scangauge keeps track of this) This was 10 days worth of all city driving with mostly cold starts and no trip longer than 3 miles (out of 194.8 miles) There were several days where the high was hovering near zero, and lows were well below zero. During the entire tank my cars oil never reached its normal operating temperature. The car spent a little bit of time idleing while I scraped the windows.

These are about the worst conditions you could imagine with the only bright spot being that we don't have winter blend fuel in this area.

07 Accord I4 MT5.
    Lifetime mpg at 32.84