Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    According to EPA, the 2008 Accords scored 3 MPG less in city and highway than last year 2007. I think it's due to horsepower increase, which consumes more fuel. Luckily I got the 2007. I don't need new style and more power. I am continuing to get 40 MPG on highway when driving 55 mph max.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Actually, you're wrong. The EPA estimate procedure is completely revised for 2008, so existing vehicles mileage went down a lot as well. The 2007 Accord, under the 2008 EPA rating system, would have 21/31, or basically, identical numbers.

Fuel Economy EPA Estimate System

Check the link to see for yourself.

Have a great day!
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Total mileage: 20,200
    Tires: 37 psi front/ 35psi rear
    60%highway/40%city (one full throttle 0-100mph run just to test her out ;) )
    Georgia/South Carolina (25-65F)
    This tank: 27.9 mpg (200.2 on 7.168 gal) computer said 29.6 mpg
    Last tank on conventional oil--Switched to Mobil 1 synthetic
  • Options
    trumpcartrumpcar Member Posts: 10
    Well im glad to see that my accord is still pulling the numbers of the new models in the gas milage arena. I have a 94 Lx Manual Trans Accord coupe and i average 27 on city and 35-38 on highway. With my car ever getting closer to 200,000 miles. i drive roughly 400 miles a week. Thou my accurate mileage i dont know because at around 156,000 miles about a year ago my odometer stopped working ( has that happen to any one elses older modle accord?) then began workin again just last 2 months or so and in short time it reads 160,000. i did a compression test 3 months back and found a totally balanced cyl to cly reading only varing 1 degree : 60, 60, 61, 60. the car runs strong and its the original engine with no internal work. who would have thought?
  • Options
    Hold onto your car - you can't kill 'em!

I have 177k miles on my '96 LX Auto, and get 26-27MPG in my commute to Birmingham (A lot of stop and go with about 50% interstate mixed in).

Time for a timing belt very soon. :cry:
  • Options
    i have every intent on keeping it. i love this car. the only thing i would say sucks is the tiny oil leak i get which from change to change i only have to put half a quart in that time but im sure the seals are all stock, i changed my valve cover gasket which slowed it down alot, next will be my oil pan gasket and then we will see from there. but to check if the seals where good i put 5w-30 which is pretty thin and like i said only half a quart between changes. so some thicker oil and that gasket i should be fine.
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Couldn't thicker oil be potentially bad for the car? I don't know I just know that the car I drive now requires 5W-20 and my 95 Accord EX required 5W-30 I'm still not exactly sure the differences between the grades. If I sound like a moron forgive me.
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Really, Consumer Reports just released the ratings for the new 2008 Accord, and they claim it is getting 1 MPG overall less than the previous generation. It is due to horsepower increase and weight.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Trumpcar:

My '95 Accord I4's second engine of probaby more than 100K miles "eats" oil (3 quarts of oil for 4 months of over 6K miles). I do not want to spend much money to fix the oil issue. What's your advice? I am thinking about donating to charity to get tax deduction.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Saw the CR article. The Accord went from 38 to 34 on the highway test for the I4. So the 08 people are going to have a tough time joining the 40 mpg club.

Thats progress though. Has to be heavier and more powerfull every year - when will people catch on that the two cancel each other out, and mpg suffers.

We need the diesel!
  • Options
    Consumer Reports' personal findings may say that, but the EPA tests have different results (the EPA uses standardized tests which every vehicle follows for better comparison purposes).

If you follow the link, you'll see that the 4-cyl actually does just as well under the EPA as the 2007 model, and that the 2008 V6 does better than the 2007.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "Consumer Reports' personal findings may say that, but the EPA tests have different results (the EPA uses standardized tests which every vehicle follows for better comparison purposes)."

From the EPA's www.fueleconomy.gov website:

"...Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests..."
  • Options
    My comment stands. Different tests will net different outcomes. Some vehicles will excel more in one test than another.
  • Options
    CR does test in the real world on the road with the same methods. They are the most reliable numbers available right now.

The Gov numbers can be a good guideline, but CR is what the car is more likely to get in actual driving.

I can almost always get spot on (or better) with CR highway numbers. The EPA numbers are all over the map. Some cars do way better, and some do much worse.

I would be very suprised if the new larger heavier Accord is more efficient in real life. They may have changed a few things to make the car perform close to the old one on EPA tests though.
  • Options
    dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've found that the EPA mileage estimates for the 2008 Accord are spot on. I've been using TrackYourGasMileage.com since I purchased my EX-L V6 and for 3,330 miles I've averaged 21.02 MPG. I've had a high of 29 MPG and a low of 17.62.
    Approx 600 miles of my total mileage has been highway the rest of the miles are trips generally under 10 miles with the engine just warming up. With the very cold December we experienced in New England I was not surprised to see my mileage drop under the 19 MPG stated as my vehicles lower limit. One 8 mile trip home from work took an hour and fifteen minutes due to major snow and the resulting snarled traffic. These winter months aren't going to help fuel economy so as we get into the warmer months I'll occasionally post my MPG and I'm pretty confident they will improve, though I'm not disappointed as the mileage I'm experiencing is right on par with that posted on the sticker.
  • Options
    well if it leaks check one of 3 things. first your vlave cover gasket and graumets thats only about at most 20 dollars, this slowed my leak from 1qt to half a qt. then check go for your oil pan gasket which cant be much. then if it still is "eating" oil then its most likely one of two things your head gasket, or your valve seals. run a compression test just to see if your rings are good. then also you seals like crank seals and your cam seals. theres tons of places you can leak from. im just tryin to slow mines down and got success with the first too so try it out and see. good luck but if i was you i would do everything before the charity thing.
  • Options
    the best milage i got out of my 94 lx coupe manual was 41mpg i love my car its been good to me and i have been good to it. but the diesal i dont kno. i wouldnt just cuz of the way they sound
  • Options
    I probably would since they offer lots of torque AND economy - something Honda's not very good at in gas engines.
  • Options
    marcwdmarcwd Member Posts: 8
    I believe that the 2008 4cyl, 5spd Accord has a 1mpg lower EPA estimate for "city" driving than does the same model in 2007. The "highway" figure is the same for both years. This comparison uses the revised (more conservative) EPA standard for both model years and is valid.

Though the lower "city" number should not be surprising given the added weight in the 2008 car, that Honda chose to produce a new Accord with lower (instead of higher or, at minimum, the same) mileage than the previous model is a disgrace.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    No,man. That's just the way it works. The design cycles are 5 years so the 08 Accord was already planned prior to the escalation in gas prices. Bet it's the largest Accord we ever see! The next gen will not be any larger.
  • Options
    marcwdmarcwd Member Posts: 8
    To produce a new car that's more powerful and/or larger than the previous model and yet maintains or improves fuel economy is called innovation and that has come to be expected from companies like Honda and Toyota.

Honda needed to figure out how to get some weight out of its new, larger Accord or somehow further improve their engine technology and they failed.
  • Options
    Do you think that the size of the car could start "yo-yoing" between large car and mid-size as market conditions change?

Or maybe the 09s might get that extra 1 mpg back and then some. The first year of a generation usually has a few kinks. Maybe they'll lose the button-"happiness" in the center stack.
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    20.53 mpg -- All city, cold/wet weather, regular gas, 20,000 total miles, new air filter, Mobil 1 5W30 engine oil
  • Options
    The oil spec is 5-20 isn't it? How did the air filter look? Mine was really clean at 25k.
  • Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    I wonder what others' cruising rpm's are when driving at 30-40 mph. Mine is about 1500rpm at 30mph and 2000rpm at 40mph. Then it drops to around 1500rpm if the speed is more than 42phm. I wonder if this is a problem with my engine or if this is normal for all Accords. (this is my first Honda). Thanks for any inputs.
  • Options
    Your engine rpms drop as the transmission shifts up till it's in top gear. I think that's all that's happening.
  • Options
    Count the gear shifts. You should feel four from the time you start out until you get to 42+. My 2006 Accord actually shifts into fifth gear at EXACTLY 42 MPH if you are holding your speed steady.
  • Options
    Why not try 5w-20 mobil one instead of the 30? It will make a difference in mpg.
  • Options
    according2u06according2u06 Member Posts: 95
    My car is a 06 Accord LX I4 4dr 5AT
    I just filled my tank yesterday, and my MPG for the last tank came out to be 21.88 with almost all city/local driving in cold weather with some snow. That is the lowest ever ever since I started calculated my MPG!!!:( When the weather was a bit warmer(before Dec), I usually average around 27~29 with more highway miles in the mix. My highest mileage was around 32(31.86 to be exact) with about 70% highway. This car is overall great in fuel economy IMO but I still wish it could be a tad better in cold weather. I use 5w20 Mobil1 synthetic engine oil. :)
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I was getting 27-29 when it was warm and now I'm getting 22-24 under the same conditions. Short drive to work, about 8 miles, mostly city driving. Hang in there, spring is getting closer. Sometimes I end up getting about 17, but that's usually after the lead foot syndrome. That doesn't happen as much any more as I get more used to the car.
  • Options
    Thanks tankbeans. I was just a little disappointed with the mileage because it had never been so low, even under similar/worse conditions, and I drive conservatively most of the times.
    I of course expect better mileage comes spring time with weather getting warmer(hopefully sooner) and more highway miles.
    It seems you are getting similar mileage... Is your Accord a 4 cyl or a V6? I wouldn't be so worried if it's a V6. :)
  • Options
    I have an 03 LX I4. I should have clarified that. With the 'winter' blend gasoline mileage for everybody kind of stinks because it isn't as potent as 'summer' blend gas. It doesn't help if you live in a colder climate, like Minnesota.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ............With the 'winter' blend gasoline mileage for everybody kind of stinks because it isn't as potent as 'summer' blend gas.

Amen, bro. The winter blend Valero around these parts of our left coast seems to have arrived carrying about a ten per cent fuel economy penalty.

That being said, we can look forward to the warmer, more fuel efficient season ahead where my 6M coupe regularly returns 27-28 around the state capital and pushes the 40 MPG barrier on the Interstate when reined in to about 2200 RPM.

Here's to the Honda engineer: performance and economy!

ez....
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Just got my best tank yet (08 LX, 5spd, 4cyl) of just shy of 27MPG. That's in mixed driving.

3k miles on the odo. I don't drive like a granny, but I also don't wind it out very often either. In my day to day commute I rarely get above 4k RPM and generally cruise around at 2k RPM.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    I usually get 25MPG mixed driving for my V6 EX.
  • Options
    Ah so we have pretty much the same car. What makes my problem worse is I live on the east coast (near DC area), which isn't as nearly cold as places like Minnesota. I guess you and ezshift are probably right though, it could have something to do with the 'winter gas' if they do that with the gas in my area.

Sporin, if you are getting 27 now, it will certainly get better! I have gotten numerous tanks of over 30 and 29.x MPG after the car was more broken in and with more conservative driving. That's not in winter months, of course.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Are you guys talking about 08's though?

Based on the average 2 MPG loss I've found on every car I've owned in the winter I'm confident in 28-30 combined this summer. :shades:
  • Options
    I was obviously referring to the previous 7th generation Accord. But since the EPA ratings of 4 cyl for both generations are rated almost the same, I just assume there shouldn't be too much difference in mileage, especially for similar trim lines with similar weight.
    2 MPG increase in warmer weather(I expect more) is definitely easily attainable, especially after the car is broken in. :D
  • Options
    twa727twa727 Member Posts: 22
    1993 Accord EX. 189,210 miles.

In the city I get anywhere from 25-28 MPG.

On the highway, I've gotten up to 35 MPG(490 Mi/tank!) flat out with cruise.
  • Options
    This time my tank included time driving on Gulf Shores Pkwy (lots of lights). I filled up in Hope Hull, Alabama, just south of Montgomery. I didn't fill up again until I got back home in the Birmingham area. 491.9 miles/13.67 gallons. = 35.98 MPG

I didn't take it TOO easy, but I did average 73 MPH on the interstates. Add in about 100 miles of US Hwy (4-lane) with red lights and varying speed limits (35-65).

Winter blend fuel hurt me on this one I believe!

For those who don't know, I have a 2006 Accord EX 4-cyl, with the 5-speed Auto.

My maintenance required indicator came on during my trip, and reached 10% before I filled up at home. I'm dropping it off today to have "B 1,2" performed (I'm at 29k miles).

With that new air filter and fresh oil, I bet I'd have done better! :)

PS - for those curious about it, my low-fuel light came on at 472 miles while I was taking a sharp curve at the I-65/I-459 interchange. I think it came on a little earlier than normal.
  • Options
    So this is with almost all Highway with some lights? I can see you are really hurt by the winter blend :P. j/k
    Really, 36 MPG on any trip is more than impressive to me! Gotta take mine on an 100% highway trip to see how well it does :)
  • Options
    This is about 370 miles of interstate and 120 miles of US Hwy where speed varies widely.

I've made this trip at least a dozen times, but I usually fill up in Birmingham, and then after I get off the interstate, which yields better mileage since it doesn't have the US Hwy driving in it (I've had 40 MPG twice, and typically get 37-38).

I can't complain though!
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Just hit 4200 miles on my '08 Accord EXL-4cyl.

90% highway/10% city = 22-24mpg

Best tank = 24.8 MPG, Worst tank = 20.2 MPG

Little disappointed I can't get at least 30 MPG on all highway.
  • Options
    Wow! 40 MPG on 2 different occassions! :surprise: What kind of speeds were you doing? around 55 mph?

Who needs a Civic when you can have a 40 MPG Accord! :D
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The Civic will do better under the same conditions and under normal driving. Daily mileage matters more than the mileage you get on rare extended highway road trips.
  • Options
    Between 70 and 75. Those occasions were PURELY highway though. Fill up at an on-ramp, and fill up again after 250-300 miles at the off-ramp. No A/C, no sunroof, and summer-blend fuels.

This time I had my sunroof "popped" to pull fresh air through, which hurts aerodynamics.

Dudley has gotten similar mileage as myself.

At 55 MPH my car would have to unlock the torque converter, or even downshift to 4th to tackle some of the hills on this trip.At 72 or so, the engine is spinning fast enough to have enough torque as it is (2400 RPM), but slow enough to run VERY efficiently.

I was so surprised when I got this kind of mileage for the first time - tickled to death!
  • Options
    FYI I crack my rear window to pull air thru. Pros Cons of Roof vs. rear window? It's 1-2 inches down.
  • Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    My 08 Accord I4 auto has about 600 miles on odometer.
    After about 346.4 miles of mix driving (~170 mile highway), I pumped in about 15.89 gal of gas. The mileage per gallon comes out to be an unsatisfied 21.80 mpg. This is almost worst than the EPA rated city mileage. :confuse:

Do you think if there is something wrong with my engine? If this is the case, should I bring the car to the dealer and have them check it out? Is anyone else getting the same low mileage for their 08 I4’s?
  • Options
    There probably isn't anything wrong. The engine's just a baby and still has wobbly legs. Coupled with winter blend and, depending on where you are, the use of defrosters and/or heat. Many people are getting better than that. The engine just has to get run in. Hang in there. We're all waiting for spring so our mileage will improve. In my 03 I've been at around 22-24 most of the winter.
  • Options
    High 30's and low 40's are attainable, but it has to be pretty much all highway. It takes very little city driving to bring the tank mpg down quite a bit. For instance = I did one trip of about 500 miles and had 43+ mpg (scangauge) then drove about 20 miles around town (lots of short 1 or 2 mile trips) and the mpg dropped to just over 40 mpg (scangauge and calulator). Now, out of 520 miles 20 miles seems insignificant, but it gave my tank a substantial hit.

BTW winter is killing me. My 10 tank rolling average was as high as 35+ mpg and just recently slipped below 30 mpg. Of course the high yesterday was 2 and I let the car idle for a minute before I load the kids in (-12 in the morning when I started it). And we don't even have winter blend fuel here - not a metro area.

I wouldn't worry about the mpg of a brank new car just yet. The dealer fill may not have been complete. I do think the extra heft of the 08 models may keep them from getting quite the mpg of their predecessors. Of course Honda is always tweaking so I expect better at mid cycle refresh, and the diesel may be here soon as well.