Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

1998 Chevy 1500,

Christopher1962Christopher1962 PAPosts: 1
edited November 2016 in Chevrolet
Hello, 5.0 Engine, Electronic ignition. I have a starting problem. I can turn the key to start and it will continually turn over, crank and crank forever, but will not start. But, if i just bump the key to engage the starter, just enough to engage it, it will eventually pick up and run. Any ideas? Thank you

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited November 2016
    I would suggest going back to basic diagnosis...when it doesn't start, find out what's missing....fuel or spark or perhaps compression in this case. It's possible I suppose that you are just teasing the engine to top dead center on a certain cylinder and that's enough to fire it, but that constant cranking cannot defeat weak compression. So I'd do a compression test given that it's such an old engine. Also I guess it's possible that your fuel pressure is low. I'm just guessing here but suggesting what I'd do if it were my truck and I needed to approach the problem logically.

If compression is good, then you need to find out if the "long-crank" is missing something that the "short-crank" provides. Maybe the "short-crank" boosts up the fuel pressure momentarily?