Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Car Financing - Can Anyone Answer This Question?

gr8tocre8gr8tocre8 Posts: 1
edited November 2016 in General
I'm about to trade in my current car (a 2006 Mercedes S55AMG which I still owe money on) with a 2011 Mercedes S65AMG.

When I purchased my S55, the dealer told me that as long as I stay on top of my payments for at least a year, I will be able to refinance at a lower rate (at the time of purchase my credit was around 650).

It has now been 18 months since I purchased it, and I've paid every payment on time. Here's my question: Am I better off refinancing my old car FIRST, then going to the dealer to trade it in?

In other words, if I trade in my S55 with an already-existing lower interest rate, will that help me get lower interest on the new car, or does this not matter?

Thanks for any insight, I appreciate it.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 128,280
    gr8tocre8 said:

I'm about to trade in my current car (a 2006 Mercedes S55AMG which I still owe money on) with a 2011 Mercedes S65AMG.

When I purchased my S55, the dealer told me that as long as I stay on top of my payments for at least a year, I will be able to refinance at a lower rate (at the time of purchase my credit was around 650).

It has now been 18 months since I purchased it, and I've paid every payment on time. Here's my question: Am I better off refinancing my old car FIRST, then going to the dealer to trade it in?

In other words, if I trade in my S55 with an already-existing lower interest rate, will that help me get lower interest on the new car, or does this not matter?

Thanks for any insight, I appreciate it.

Your current loan's interest rate will not affect your new purchase. Refinancing would be a waste of time, and might affect your credit score.

I wouldn't put any stock in what the dealer told you, either way.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    The dealer can compete with the loan rate you might get from your bank or CU, but he can't predict whether it's going up or down. And I agree, re-fi is not a good idea.