Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Negotiated a price, now what?

mark9546mark9546 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2016 in Subaru
I finally negotiated a very, very good price for an '17 iTouring Forester w/ Eyesight and a protection package, but I'm not very good with the rest of the process.
Currently, it looks like this:
Price: 30,044.00
Sales Tax $2,537.51
Tag/Reg Fees $264
Electronic Filing $29
Documentation Fee $80
Flat Add/County Fee $8
Balance Due $32,962.51

Now I go in tomorrow to finalize and pay. What can I expect? I know a warranty talk is going to happen, but I think I am fine with the 3 year for now, I heard you can always buy the warranty later as long as it's within the 3 years. I highly doubt they will discount the warranty with the price they are giving me for the car.
Anything else I should be prepared for?
What about the sales tax? Is that high? Is it calculated from the MSRP or the Dealer Price?
I'm in CA, so I expected a pretty high sales tax to start with.
But then you see edmunds pricing tool, which says to expect 3.9-4.5K for taxes and Fees on this exact model and price. wtf?
I see some people posting sales tax that seem way below the designated percentage their cities have. How is that possible?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    mark9546 said:

I finally negotiated a very, very good price for an '17 iTouring Forester w/ Eyesight and a protection package, but I'm not very good with the rest of the process.
    Currently, it looks like this:
    Price: 30,044.00
    Sales Tax $2,537.51
    Tag/Reg Fees $264
    Electronic Filing $29
    Documentation Fee $80
    Flat Add/County Fee $8
    Balance Due $32,962.51

Now I go in tomorrow to finalize and pay. What can I expect? I know a warranty talk is going to happen, but I think I am fine with the 3 year for now, I heard you can always buy the warranty later as long as it's within the 3 years. I highly doubt they will discount the warranty with the price they are giving me for the car.
    Anything else I should be prepared for?
    What about the sales tax? Is that high? Is it calculated from the MSRP or the Dealer Price?
    I'm in CA, so I expected a pretty high sales tax to start with.
    But then you see edmunds pricing tool, which says to expect 3.9-4.5K for taxes and Fees on this exact model and price. wtf?
    I see some people posting sales tax that seem way below the designated percentage their cities have. How is that possible?

Some states give tax credits for trade ins. It's pretty simple. Take your sales tax rate and multiply it by the selling price.

How are you paying for the car? With a check? Just say no to anything extra, and make sure the numbers agree exactly with what you were given.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sales tax looks right for California---varies by city and county but generally in the 8.5% range.