Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Sequoia Rear Hatch Locked - Cannot Unlock

kenny68kenny68 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2017 in Toyota
I replaced the rear hatch handle on my 03 Sequoia the other day (2nd time). After, the hatch opened and closed perfectly, latching cleanly and opening well. I was very satisfied because the dealership wanted $400 to do this...I started it and drove out of my garage - all sequoia owners know this causes the doors to lock (the absolute worst thing ever invented by a car maker - so annoying!). Thereafter I could not open the back door - by key or key fob...It's as if it locked and cannot be unlocked.
Thinking of replacing the actuator - really just want to take it to someone and let them wrestle with it. I am frustrated because my time is valuable - messing with this truck is driving me nuts. Any insights on what might be wrong are welcome.

Comments

• lildee50lildee50 Member Posts: 1
    Hey did you ever fix you door problem??
  • viningctviningct Member Posts: 1
    Similar Problem.
    My liftgate won't lock. After messing with the latch and actuator once and putting it back together only to have it stuck in the locked position, I'm now driving around with the back door panel off in case I need to manually open the door again.
    So, I pulled the plug on the actuator and using a voltage meter, we tested the plug while flipping the door lock button on the drivers door back and forth. We didn't get any readings on any of the four pins. This brings up the first question, Does anyone know which of these four pins are live, neutral and is there a ground? Does anyone have a diagram?
    Should there be a momentary 12V at the plug when activating the switch?
    Just in case it's all connected. We have another lock problem that I believe I've narrowed down to the power switch in the passengers door. Our doors will continue to unlock themselves. While driving, while parked and ignition off, it doesn't matter. I disconnected the passenger door lock/window switch and that problem went away.
    Any ideas?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    viningct said:

Similar Problem.
    My liftgate won't lock. After messing with the latch and actuator once and putting it back together only to have it stuck in the locked position, I'm now driving around with the back door panel off in case I need to manually open the door again.
    So, I pulled the plug on the actuator and using a voltage meter, we tested the plug while flipping the door lock button on the drivers door back and forth. We didn't get any readings on any of the four pins. This brings up the first question, Does anyone know which of these four pins are live, neutral and is there a ground? Does anyone have a diagram?
    Should there be a momentary 12V at the plug when activating the switch?
    Just in case it's all connected. We have another lock problem that I believe I've narrowed down to the power switch in the passengers door. Our doors will continue to unlock themselves. While driving, while parked and ignition off, it doesn't matter. I disconnected the passenger door lock/window switch and that problem went away.
    Any ideas?

We have a pretty extensive discussion about this problem, here:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/10071/toyota/sequoia/toyota-sequoia-rear-hatch-door-problems#latest

With some possible solutions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator