Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• Options
    amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    Yes, The ES350 audio systems, whether it's the standard or Mark Levinson systems will either shuffle through 1 CD or all 6 CD's.
  • Options
    nyarlathotepnyarlathotep Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    richard43richard43 Member Posts: 23
    there is a small picture on lexus.com

i would like this and am holding up my order waiting
    for it to become available. my salesman states
    there is no way for them to find out the
    exact date it will become available. i am
    considering ordering now without it and having it put
    on much later by the dealer - if possible.
  • Options
    rocketdanrocketdan Member Posts: 28
    My wife and I went out to drive the ES350 Saturday, and we were hoping to see a good selection of colors. We hit the jackpot as they were just unloading a truck with another week's allotment. I agree with you on the silver, which I thought would be a good choice until really seeing it. I will only consider light colors since I have always lived in hot areas. White was my best choice, but I've been driving a white/tan Avalon for 9 years and wanted something different. They rolled out a Golden Almond Pearl ES, and I must admit we both liked it instantly.

BTW, my wife said if this was to be her car (it isn't) she would buy the Moon Shell Mica! It is way too much like our old 87 Supra Turbo in "Amethyst" which was silver with an amethyst tinted clear coat. At least I now have a list of two possibles!
  • Options
    tnfantnfan Member Posts: 18
    Not sure about the sparkle of the Tungsten Pearl but definitely like the color since that is what I bought. Have received numerous comments about how good the silver looks on this body style. Color preference is very subjective. And no my toes are not hurting. :)
  • Options
    ncdaydreamerncdaydreamer Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the iPod info! Has there been any update on the Navigation system not responding to voice commands for temperature or climate control?

I've read several posts where that has been an issue.
  • Options
    iycrraiycrra Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know if Bluetooth phones w/ Sprint work for Lexus or it doesn't matter what the carrier is as long as the cell phone has bluetooth technology?

I went on Lexus "letstalk" website and they only show 4 carriers (Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Nextel). What does that mean? Thanks.

by the way, the car is great. The first a couple of weeks of driving, I didn't drive a lot of freeways and I was only averaging right around 20. Now my current tank's MPG is at 26.8. That's freeway plus local(about 50-50). Very impressive!
  • Options
    dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    You'd think that car would be at 100% :(
  • Options
    ncdaydreamerncdaydreamer Member Posts: 31
    The decision to release the ES350 with NAV/VOICE problems could have been a marketing one. Rather than delay promised delivery dates, they opted for sales now and fix it later (perhaps). Has anyone tried Japanese voice commands?
  • Options
    fuente858fuente858 Member Posts: 24
    If you wait till next year there is a a better than average possibility that all these cars you're testing could be even better.

Honda and Lexus in the same breath? I DON'T THINK SO!!!
  • Options
    PLEASE! Find the Honda forum. I'm sure they would be happy to hear of your new perches. We are talking ES350 here. :)
  • Options
    The only problem I've found with CVC is the number 78 it hears 70. I understand the software fix is comming shortly.
  • Options
    mmoss1mmoss1 Member Posts: 9
    Do you have to purchase the Ultra Luxury Package in order to get the Mark Levinson stereo upgrade?

I do not want that panorama glass roof that comes with the UL package. Just seems like overkill to me.

Is the Levinson sytem worth that? Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    Do you have to get the UL upgrade to get the Mark Levinson stereo system? I really do not like the roof that comes with the UL package.

Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.
  • Options
    cc2010cc2010 Member Posts: 16
    I looked again, and could not find it. Is it in the photo gallery under the ES pics? Could you possibly send me the link? I see pics of body moldings on the LS, but not the ES. Thanks.
  • Options
    The only way to get the Mark Levinson audio system is in the UL upgrade. I really didn't want the panorama roof originally, but I'm glad I got it now...and so are my rear passengers. :D

Alan
  • Options
    Alan,
    Can you share some more details? What do you like about it? What do your passengers like about it? It just seems a little "over the top" from the photo's. I don't know how else to explain my concern.
    Max
  • Options
    I like the look of the full glass that covers the whole top of the car instead of just the small glass of the normal moonroof. Also, as said before, there is a sunshade for the front seats as well as a shade for the back seats. The rear seat passengers can keep this opened or closed, but the glass cannot be retracted in the back to open it up to the sky. It's an expensive option.....but in my estimation, well worth it. :)

Alan
  • Options
    elwoodmoragaelwoodmoraga Member Posts: 15
    Now that you've made the big decision to buy a Honda, I hope you will stop clogging up the Lexus website with these long messages and leave the website to those of us who are sincerely interested in the ES 350. Adios.
  • Options
    hyojounghyojoung Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I also noticed the wind noise in my new ES350 at 60mph or higher speed which I baught 1 week ago. I sent a complaint to Lexus dealership too. I will post again when I have some more update.
  • Options
    oldman26oldman26 Member Posts: 10
    At an indicated 85mph and with "still" out side air (no apparent natural wind) I have no wind noise. Car is silent except for minimal tire noise.
  • Options
    dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    I test drove my second one yesterday that had wind noise at 65 :( Thought it was from moon roof & pillars. Salesman was embarrassed. Hope this isnt common
  • Options
    Alan,
    Do you feel like you get more wind noise with that roof system? The thought of having an all glass roof is bugging me for some reason, but I'm warming up to it.
    Max
  • Options
    Max-
    The wind noise did not come from the panoramic moonroof. While inspecting the rubber insulation on the top of the drivers door I noticed that there was a small area that was not installed exactly right, but I was able to correct it very easily. So far I haven't heard the wind noise anymore. I'll report back if there's any changes.
    I'm sure you'll like the panoramic moonroof better than the standard moonroof once you see the operation and openness that you feel inside the car.

Alan
  • Options
    That's good news Alan. Sorry for all the questions. How do you like the Levinson sound system? Worth the extra $?
  • Options
    My '03ES that I traded in also had the Mark Levinson sound system and I thought it was good....but the newest incarnation of the Mark Levinson sound system in my ES350 is GREAT!!!!!!
    Smoother more accurate sound. BTW: I'm a sound engineer and audio freak for many, many years. LOL
    Ask all the questions that you might have...I'll answer them as honestly as possible...I love discussing this wonderful car! :)

Alan
  • Options
    frostyrfrostyr Member Posts: 20
    We've had the car for about three weeks and it is running perfectly. My only criticism is that I feel the premium sound system (standard with Navigation and Prem Plus) is not as good as it should be. Has anyone upgraded their sound system and what were the results?
  • Options
    hurricane7hurricane7 Member Posts: 6
    On the IS 350 Forum, I have read that the Motorola RAZR V3 works great with the Bluetooth Technology if you use Cingular as your cell phone vendor; however, the RAZR V3 can have problems if Verizon is your cell phone vendor. Can someone recommend the most compatible Verizon cell phone(s) with the ES 350 Bluetooth Technology?
  • Options
    I agree that the base ES 350 sound system is not as good as it should be. Surprisingly, my 2004 Dodge Durango SLT had a better sound system. However, except for the sound system, I am very satisfied with my new ES 350.
  • Options
    There is no cell phone that Verizon has their name on regardless of the manufacturer that
    will take full advantage of all the features of Lexus Bluetooth. Verizon sets up their phones so
    only their Bluetooth will have full function. :mad: I have 3 months to go on my Verizon 2 year
    contract so I went T Mobile for the ES350 and will use Verizon elsewhere till contract is
    up. T Mobile works excellent with ES350 Bluetooth. :D
  • Options
    psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    ....Just got my car yesterday and I'm still learning to use things. One thing though. Does anyone know how to set the nav screen to dim when the headlights are turned on? The daylight setting is blindingly bright at night and, in my car, that's the way it stays even after the headlights aqre turned on. I know there must be a way to enable this automatic dimming to a reasonable "night mode" as my Gen III had it in my 2002 ES 300.

Can't find it anywhere in the manual, however.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    I found the answer.

When the little wheel that adjusts the overall dasboard illumination (right to the left of the steering wheel) is pinned to the highest position it keeps everything to the maximum illumination no matter what. Just move it out of that position by a tiny bit (there's a detent, so you'll feel it) and all is well.
  • Options
    ...Just got my car yesterday and wanted to provide a little feedback for those of you who may not have yet taken the plunge (as well as those of you who have).

First of all, the increase of power is quite significant and is most apparent when accelerating from 20-30 mph. In the past (ES 300), you had to hope for the best and allow a great deal of distance to accelerate. Between the anemic engine and the horrible throttle response on earlier generations, acceleration from 20-30 mph was, shall we just say, "leisurely." No more. This thing's got balls. Yes, it still is more of a boulevard cruiser that a real sports sedan, but it now has an engine with some umph and a responsive transmission to go with it. The engine is a bit louder than previous generations, however and unlike the past, is a bit audible at idle with the audio system off. Depending on your tastes this is perhaps not such a bad thing, however.

I don't like where the put the seat ventillation/heat controls. You have to look under the armrest to see them and use them and I can easily imagine forgetting to reset them to their off, detent positions. The ES 300/330 had them on the center stack with indicator lights, a much better arrangement. Also, as others have commented, the "ventillation" function of these seats is entirely worthless. They only blow the faintest amount of air. Perhaps Lexus will address this in the near future.
    I do miss the strip of wood over the glove box though the interior is very modern and attractive. In typical Lexus fashion, everything works like a fine Swiss watch.
    I wish they had left a seperate window for the climate control. As it is, it shares the main screen and to adjust anything you must switch away from the map display. This makes it a bit of a pain to cut out the A/C condenser after you press "Auto." In the past this had its own dedicated button on the center stack. No more. I also wish they had seperate windows for the exterior temp and the trip computer displays. As it is they share a small rectangular window between the speedo and tach. If you want to display 'Average MPG,' for instance, the outside temp is only shown in very small numbers below this. In the past the outside temp had its own spot in a window on the center stack and the trip computer functions had their own display. Ah well, progress.

The swiveling headlights are VERY cool and really do exactly what they're advertised to do. What's best is that you can really see their illumination pattern moving as you steer the steering wheel.

The Bluetooth system works perfectly and the clarity is simply astounding. I have a feeling that once I start getting used to this I'll never even think of driving a car without it again (pretty much the same reaction I had to having a nav system).

Keyless entry and start?! Absolutely ridiculously useless feature. Where do I put all my keys? With a normal car they hung happily from the dash as I drove; now I think I'll just have to throw them in the cup holders while I'm driving. I know "everyone's doing it" but it's just plain dumb and an example of technology looking for an application. In this case it found one and it was worse than pointless. Again, 'oh well,' progress marches on I suppose.

The interior lighting is gorgeous and incredibly classy looking, as are the little "puddle lamps" (is that what they're called?) mounted under each side mirror.

The seat extender (on the driver's seat) is pretty much worthless. It hardly comes out at all but who cares, the seats are extremely comfortable anyway.

The ride is simply wonderful. Firmer than bebfore but still able to soak up pretty much anything that comes its way. Much less body lean than in the past though it's still no BMW 5 series.

MPG you ask? So far on about 75% highway driving, I'm getting 26-27 mpg! Compared to the 18-19 mpg I was getting in the 2002 ES300, I'd say that's pretty damn impressive.

All in all, I give this car an A- on an absolute basis.

On a value for dollar basis, it gets a solid A+.
  • Options
    cablondebluecablondeblue Member Posts: 72
    Congratulations Psychdoc, and thanks for all the information about your impressions of the car. I am envious. Makes me what to run out today and get my ES. I have been so busy with work and just got back from playing out of town, besides I still have two months of my lease left if I want to wait it out or I can turn it in early. It seems like everyone on here has gotten their car but me. ("I want a golden goose, Daddy! And I want it NOW") LOL. Oh yeah, I still haven't decided on a color. What color did you get, Psychdoc....wasn't it Ruby?
  • Options
    Yes, I got the ruby with black interior.

Get the UL package, the Mark Levinson system alone is worth the price.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on the audio system.

Simple, I've been a serious audiophile for years and this system is just awesome!

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get yours soon enough.

I really do think you'll love it! :D
  • Options
    Please share your thoughts on the panoramic roof...

thanks
    Max
  • Options
    ***Please share your thoughts on the panoramic roof...***

Haven't played much with it but I do like the look of it. It looks very 'high techy' and I think it's cool that the rear seat passengers have their own little window on the [vertical] world. It gives the car's interior a more open, spacious look and feel.
  • Options
    robynlrobynl Member Posts: 38
    Psychdoc, would you please post pictures of your car? That is the color I want with UL and I would love to see what it looks like with the roof.
  • Options
    I'll try to put something up. Can't say when but I'll try.
  • Options
    kumar2kumar2 Member Posts: 12
    It has been since I got our ES 350 with ML and UL package (tungsten pearl).
    I chose the package just to get the better audio system (which is very good!)......but have come to realize that the panoramic roof is very nice.......we get all these ooh and aah from friends who have been in the car's back seat..and it makes it seem more airy and spacious. Also the glass roof makes the exterior look better.
    I find the keyless start quite nifty never having to fumble for keys (works better for my wife who just leaves it in her purse).
    MPG has been 25.1 for pretty slow bay area stop and go traffic which is very nice (that was one of the reasons I chose ES over M35 which is also a very nice car).
    Acceleration is good, ride is smooth (all the usual lexus char with a better acceleration)
    Air conditioning is very effective, AFS works well.......spoken vice commands are a hit or miss......hopefully will get better with a software patch
    With all the electronics I have been debating whether I should get extended warranty if I decide to keep it beyond 4 years.........thoughts?
  • Options
    Psychdoc,

You say Keyless entry and start?! Absolutely ridiculously useless feature. Where do I put all my keys?

Answer: Just keep them in your pocket and the ladies can just keep them in your purse!
  • Options
    Does anyone else find it annoying that you cannot input numbers on the touchscreen when the car is in motion. I know that I and pretty much everyone I know calls home periodically during the day to check for messages. With the ubiquitous "toll saver" settings that all answering machines have when the phone picks up after the second ring you have to dial your personal code to retrieve your messages. With the car in motion, you can't do this. Similarly, with the car in motion you cannnot dial a number that's not on your speed dial list.

Seems like another case of 'law suit-o-phobia' or "let's let the lawyers let us know what the hell we can and cannot do."

What a major league drag. :mad:
  • Options
    06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    This may help. I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon that had the very same problem until I realized that the small knob that controls the instrument light brightness has a setting that when turned all the way up (brightest) keeps the instrument/navigation screen at full brightness even when headlights are on. If you turn the knob counterclockwise very slightly (there is a small detent at this position) the instrument lighting should work the way you would like. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thank you very much, I should have posted that I already found that answer.

Much appreciated though.

That's what's so great about this board.
  • Options
    It is very important to use Premium gas in this vehicle. Don’t forget that most everything
    in this car is computer driven and premium gas is very important to proper performance. I
    tried regular gas and it caused a problem almost immediately with the synchronization of
    the engine and transmission. Problem with this is on acceleration the engine reeves and
    transmission lags for an instant before it realizes its time to go. Same for deceleration. I added a can of 106 octane booster to the tank of regular gas and the
    problem ceased as fast as it arrived. :surprise:
  • Options
    No problem here. I want your eyes on the road and your mind on your driving.
    Multitasking has it’s place and that place is not in a car that is under way.
  • Options
    What year ES are you talking about?
  • Options
    For those of you who own the car and who haven't tried it yet, I'd strongly recommend you get a mini plug to mini plug cord (available for about $5 from any Radio Shack, etc.) and plug it in the mini plug jack inside the armrest compartment. Plug in the other to the headphone jack on you Ipod, press Aux. on the center stack audio control in your car and presto, you have access to as many as 15,000 songs (or however many you've put into your Ipod). Be sure to put the Ipod's volume at about 90% and from there, just use the volume of the car's audio system.

Sound quality is essentially perfect and it makes the 'flexibility' of the six CD changer look like a kindergartener's plaything.

This feature may be second only to the Bluetooth and nav in its "cool quotient."

I've only had this car for three days and I'm loving it more each day.
  • Options
    dantobiasdantobias Member Posts: 12
    You might also want to get an adapter to plug the iPod into the power outlet (cigarette-lighter style) which is in the center console next to the audio input. That way you can charge the iPod battery while you play it, handy for long trips or if your iPod is old and its battery doesn't hold a charge long. My car plug adapter also has an audio out jack that's independent of the iPod volume control.
This discussion has been closed.