Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    littlezlittlez Member Posts: 167
    The better car, in my opinion: Fusion-Accord-Sonata-Camry

2006 sales will be: Accord-Camry-Fusion-Sonata

alpha - You just don't like Ford products, do you?
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The question of Hyundai sales here in Ceadr Rapids, Iowa , a community of well over 100,000 people seems to be settled. The local Ford dealer no longer even has a Hyundai sign (maybe it fell down), only Mitsubishi and BMW...I guess they are out of business here in Eastern Iowa.

Well, at least according to their website (http://zimmermanhyundai.com/) and the e-mail reply I got back, they are still in business. Sorry to disappoint you oldjoe! :P
  • Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    My friends said the same thing until they saw my car. They wer all very impressed - not that I really care though.

I think the slanted H is much more sporty looking that the straight H and I also own a Honda Pilot 2003 (it has had at least three recalls on it by the way, software for the bags, new calipers for the brakes, an additional pump for the trannie and it eats tires like crazy!)

Most people tend to be conformists. I like to be different "sticking it to the man"
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Hyundais have a bad reputation in the US, and rightfully so, for historical quality and reliability reasons, but I don't think anyone is here saying that Hyundai cannot or will not ever make quality, reliable cars.

Actually I would say that they are making some high quality cars and have been for some time. My daily drive is a 2000 Elantra wagon with 130K on the odometer with no problems whatsoever. My wifes daily drive is an 2002 Accent with 80+K and no problems whatsoever. My daughter drives a 2002 Elantra that has high mileage and she has no problems with it. FWIW I know a few people with older higher mileage Hyundais that tell me they have few, if any, problems.

I think they have proven themselves for long term reliability, all we need now is to have the Hyundai bashers admit that.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    The local Ford dealer will soon be looking for a new job when Ford goes down.
  • Options
    I like the ride better in the Fusion. The stretched Mazda6 chassis gives the Fusion a more comfortable ride while not compromising road feel. The Mazda6 I drove let your booty feel every bump in the road. (In Michigan, there are a lot of bumpy roads!)

Looks-wise, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think Fusion looks different than much of what is out there. That will attract a good number of buyers.

I think the Mazda6 is ready for its next evolution.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You read into things. I thought conversation was getting stale, and off-topic, so my quick post copied the exact title of this board. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like the Fusion very much actually, though I feel its interior lacking and lack of standard and optional safety features appalling given this segment. V6 power is also behind the Accord-Sonata-Altima-G6 3.9-07 Camry, etc... curve. Truth be told, I'd prefer the Milan over the Fusion, based on styling.

2006 sales will not see the Accord on top, IMHO, as the Camry redesign bows in March, and it looks pretty impressive. Toyota just announced officially that the Camry and Camry Hybrid will debut at NAIAS on Jan. 9, for what its worth.

littlez- you just dont like anything that isnt Ford, do you?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    While I know that many will have a good experience in just about any car made, by anyone, here are the dependability study results from JD Powers Dependability Study for the past four years.

"JD Power Dependability Study measures problem symptoms of 3-year old vehicles, primarily in categories representing malfunctions; noise, vibration and harshness, drivability, dependability, and safety." The responses are from approximately 50,000 owners. (This number varies by year, but it is usually around 50,000.) Its score is based on problems per 100 vehicles.

Here are the bottom five for every year since 2002.

2002 Study - Kia, Land Rover, Isuzu, Volkswagen, Mitsubishi and Hyundai and Jeep tied.

2003 Study - Kia, Daewoo, Suzuki, Volkswagen, Isuzu and Hyundai

2004 Study - Kia, Daewoo, Isuzu, Hyundai, Volkswagen and Suzuki

2005 Study - Kia, Land Rover, MINI, Volkswagen, Isuzu and Daewoo

Hyundai has improved, per the 2005 Study, and moved up considerably, showing that they have improved their vehicle quality and dependability, since the 2002-model year. Their 2005 Score on problems per 100 vehicles is 260, versus the industry average at 237.

Still a ways to go to "prove themselves for long term reliability" in my opinion.
  • Options
    punchpermpunchperm Member Posts: 9
    No doubt Hyundai's long-term reliability has improved in the past decade. I remember when many of their cars graced Consumer Reports' "Worst Used Car" list. Now, they have very few cars on that same list.

But Hyundai still has a ways to go to match Toyota and Honda in long-term reliability and quality. If you look at the Consumer Reports' current list of "CR Good Bets" for used cars, there are 54 models on the list. 30 of them are Toyota/Honda vehicles. There are 0 Hyundais on the list.
  • Options
    alpha,

Sure I do. I'm more of a domestic (not Ford) guy and I see that a lot of quality and reliability items are exaggerated on imports. All domestic interiors are not inferior to imports, some are, some aren't. All domestic cars are not less-safe than imports, some are, some aren't. All domestic cars are not crap, some are, some aren't.

It really bothers me when people lump all domestics and all imports in two different categories. It's not that simple.

There are some very good domestics out there. They are worth a look from those who defected years ago.
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    I agree. My sister went from a Mazda to a Hyundai
    Elantra. Cost 3K less, and she keeps raving about
    how great it is compared to the Mazda. The Mazda
    was continually in the shop for one thing or another,
    right after the warranty wore out. The Elantra
    was almost 5K less than a comparable Civic, and it
    had many more standard features.
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Yes, there are some good domestics, but I can't
    afford a Lincoln Town Car, or a Cadillac.
    I can't think of any other domestic I would even
    consider, after my experiences with GM and Ford.
    I have had quite a few, actually, mainly because
    of price. I had a Camaro, Firebird, Chevy Celebrity
    (biggest piece of junk I ever owned), Ford Fairmont
    (2nd biggest), 2 Ford Probes. I seriously doubt
    I would ever even look at a domestic again. But
    the Hyundais are made in Alabama, so aren't they
    domestic. My Chevy was made in Canada. :)
  • Options
    While I will admit that even the worst made car will have the occasional good car I cannot see how a poorly made car can have so many good ones in a sample. Myself, my family and people we know I can most likely come up with as many people that own older Hyundais as older Toyotas, Hondas and other cars. I can assure you that the Honda and Toyota owners are telling me that they have just as much trouble as the Hyundai owners.

You can keep with the JD Powers, I actually talk to those who own the cars.

I will say it again Hyundai has proven their reliability all we have to do is get the Hyundai bashers to admit that.

• Options
    I stopped reading CR back in the 80's when they proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were completely worthless.

• Options
    JD Powers sample size is quite a bit larger than yours. I trust them a little more than you and the people you talk to.

Based on this trust and their reports, Hyundai has not proved their reliability. I'm not a Hyundai "basher". I just believe they are way over-rated.

Again, I will say they have improved their reliability since 2002. Just have a ways to go to "prove" to me they are more reliable than other manufacturers.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Not sure how Hyundai has proven its reliability. When Elantra sales dropped 25% and Accent sales dropped 33% in November (from non-stellar previous sale numbers) the consumer has voted against Hyundai with their wallet.

I think it will take the Sonata 2 years to prove it can hang with CamCord in the minds of the general public, not just in the minds of current Hyundai owners.

If the 07 Sonata gets a new drivers seat then that makes it a better contender in my book.
  • Options
    JD Powers sample size is quite a bit larger than yours. I trust them a little more than you and the people you talk to.

Fine by me but I will trust people that actually own and drive the cars that give me first hand experience. While the sample sizes may be small it is statistically extremely unlikely that the hyundai owners I have talked to tell me that their occurance of trouble is no more than what Honda owners say. Given that you say that Honda is so good and Hyundai is so bad statistically even a small sample would show a difference.

As I said before Hyundai has shown that they are as reliable as any other car all we need to do is have the hyundai bashers admit it.

• Options
    pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    The Sonata, in 2004, was rated by JD Power as the most dependible car in the HISTORY of their study. It beat all Lexus brands with Toyota, Honda, Nissans, Suburu's, etc. It had only 2 problems per 100 cars---impressive. When you quote numbers in previous responses like '260' you realize you are quoting the whole model line which includes problems reported on the new Tuscon, which is expected for a new model. When you quote numbers on the whole model line is it fair to quote those numbers when you are commenting on reliability and quality of the Sonata which is proven to be more reliable and dependable than a Camry, Accord or God help us a Fusion!? And this joker stating the Sonata had a lot of problems, well, the Sonata is one of the finest cars ever built and a few recall issues over a seatback lever and a software change on the ESC. And uncomfortable seats(completely subjective) is hardly a concern. This is why over 14,000 people bought the Sonata in the US in November(up 117%!) and moved the Sonata a step closer to overtaking the Altima as the #3 import mid-size in sales. I know it is hard for you diehard Honda and Toyota fans to believe that Hyundai will be nipping at your heels, but its something you are going to have to get used to. In Canada, the top Automotive Journalists of Canada recently rated the Sonata the best new car over the Fusion and Passat and others and the Azera was rated the top new Family Sedan over Audis, the Avalon and the 3Series! Thats a tough one to swallow and kinda shakes up your paradigm. And before you comment on that why don't you go and drive one and you'll understand what all the hype is about.
  • Options
    "...statiscally even a small sample would show a difference."

You haven't worked with samples much have you? A sample size that is not large enough makes the data collected invalid. Your small sample size, statiscally, makes your data invalid when using it to describe all Hyundais sold.

If I walk down my street and ask everyone who owns a Hyundai to talk about their experiences, but ignored every other street in my neighborhood, my data would be invalid due to the small number of neighbors I talked to. If I talked to 4 people on my street they had no problems, that's 100% satisfaction. But if only 1 person on another street owned a Hyundai and had a bad experience, your satisfaction number drops to 80%. Add one more from the next street and now you're down to 67% satisfaction. I agree that when you have another person with a good experience, it will increase the satisfaction level. Works both ways, obviously.

"...I will trust people that actually own and drive the cars..."

That is exactly what JD Power does. They talk to the people who actually own and drive all vehicles.
  • Options
    "...or God help us the Fusion!?"

That, my friend, is also "completely subjective" and a pretty stupid comment. We're just talking about cars here.
  • Options
    When Elantra sales dropped 25% and Accent sales dropped 33% in November (from non-stellar previous sale numbers) the consumer has voted against Hyundai with their wallet.

You know, that may just as well be a result of short inventories as Hyundai changed over to the new model year version of the Elantra (and reduced rebates due to already low inventories of the 05 model) and is selling off the 05 Accent in preparation for the debut of the all new 06 Accent. And don't forget they seem to be putting nearly all their current advertising dollars on the new Sonata. ;) :P
  • Options
    day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    Reputation and personal taste usually decide which one you will choose. Also, each one has its own strength and weakness. Just don't expect you will get a perfect midsize car because i believe such a car does not exist. I think this discuss will be more helpful to car buyers if you can tell us which car you got what do you like about it and what you don't like. I am saying make your points from both angles. :shades:
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    You know, that may just as well be a result of short inventories as Hyundai changed over to the new model year version of the Elantra (and reduced rebates due to already low inventories of the 05 model) and is selling off the 05 Accent in preparation for the debut of the all new 06 Accent.

Maybe. But Accord and Civic numbers didn't do that when they changed over to new models.

Hyundai has a ways to go to convince America they are high quality and not just low priced. Good luck to them. Competition is always good. Look how Ford's getting their jock handed to them by the imports.
  • Options
    ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    You stopped reading CR is your problem and you don't know what you are missing. BTW, you can stop reading everything but it doesn't change the facts.
  • Options
    You haven't worked with samples much have you?

Actually as an accountant I use statistical sample quite often.

Your small sample size, statiscally, makes your data invalid when using it to describe all Hyundais sold.

I would agree with you if I was using maybe 3 or 5 cars but I am not. Say if a car has a 20% chance of having something major go wrong than than statistically looking at 4 cars is way to small as statistically the 5th car would be the issue. If you looked at 10 cars than statistically 2 cars would have a major problem, but still is not statistically relevant. The greater the sample the more likely that one major event will happen. My point is that if Hyundai is as bad as your saying and showing in the JD powers even a small sample statistically should show a somewhat noticeable increase in problems. This is not the case.

If I walk down my street and ask everyone who owns a Hyundai to talk about their experiences, but ignored every other street in my neighborhood, my data would be invalid due to the small number of neighbors I talked to.

that statement shows you know NOTHING about statistics. Your example you sampled 50% of the universe (give or take since the number of Hyundai owners will vary from block to block). Any statitision would give their right arm to have a 50% sampling. Statistical sampling is done with far less sampling than you just said. Some with less than 10% some election polls are way below 1%. Fact is using your criteria JD powers is invalid because they don't ask every Hyundai owner.

• Options
    Don't like C/R. Consumers put too much faith in what they say. Had many products highly rated by C/R that turned out to be the exact opposite of what they reported.
  • Options
    Sorry I don't consider not reading CR a problem and I do know what I am missing (If you only knew what I know I am missing). And your right it doesn't change the facts, fact is CR is pretty meaningless, they have proven that to me way to many times. I mean how can I trust a magazine that says an engine off of one assembly line in one car is excellent but the exact same engine off of the exact same assembly line in another car (a car line BTW which CR at the time could not say anything nice about) is poor? How can I trust a magazine that when it tests a type of product says "x" brand is best but doesn't report on "Y" or "Z" brand while everyone else says "X" is second rate and "Y' and "Z" are the best?

There are many other examples I could cite, sorry to say I can't trust anything CR says, if they told me the sky was blue I would check to make sure.

• Options
    "..shows you know NOTHING about statistics."

I'm surprised that, as an accountant, you don't know that there is specific number in any sample size that will more closely represent the whole. You don't have to ask all to get close to the number. You just have to have the correct number in your sample. And there is a "correct" sample size.

I work with statistics in the automobile industry every day. I do know something about statistics.

In my example, I only used 3 blocks. If my neighborhood had 30 blocks in it, my example of 67% satisfaction could be closer to reality than your 100% satisfaction number. The real number may be higher than 67%, but definitely lower than your 100% number.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that, as an accountant, you don't know that there is specific number in any sample size that will more closely represent the whole. You don't have to ask all to get close to the number. You just have to have the correct number in your sample.

Again you are showing that you know NOTHING about statistics. Size is MEANINGLESS if it does not fairly represent the cross section of the universe. Its not the size of the sample but how it represents the universe that is important.

Also I never said 100% I said that there was no difference between what Hyundai owners have told me and what drivers of Hondas or Toyotas have expressed. So please don't put words in my mouth.

• Options
    cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    Founded in 1987, Automotive Information Systems (AIS), headquartered in St. Paul, MN, is the nation's largest and most comprehensive source of automotive repair knowledge regarding vehicle parts that break, model lines affected, and how best to make repairs. The large numbers of calls fielded and computer-collated by AIS, coupled with the company's unique and considerable technical expertise, makes possible sophisticated statistical analysis. That, in turn, enables the company to accurately evaluate the reliability of vehicle models and pinpoint repair problems. The AIS’ reliability ratings for used Accord. Camry, Taurus, and Sonata are as follows.

1998 – 2002 Accord has significant problems with transmission/driveline and moderate problems with engines.
    1998 – 2002 Camry has significant problems with engine.
    1998 – 2002 Ford Taurus has moderate problems with engines and moderate problems with accessories.
    1998 – 2001 Sonata has moderate problems with engines while 2002 Sonata has an excellent record.

This is a good indication how reliable a car is after warranty expires. Before warranty expires, the malfunction of a car is manufacture’s problem. After that, it is owner’s problem.

Reliability/Quality Record
    Gregorios Sachinidis, a Greek taxi driver who holds the known record of 2,852,000 miles in his 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D (http://www.asna-atae.com/newsdetail.asp?id=24).
  • Options
    Sonata - Accord - Camry - Fusion

BTW - CR has the best sedan as the Accord. Sure it could have any of the other 3, but it wasn't.

All good cars tho. I think we all like good cars. Watch the Chery come soon. There will be some blogging then.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So perhaps Honda does a better job managing new-car inventories than Hyundai does, but what does that have to do with quality? Specifically, what do sales of Accents and Elantras in November, 2005 have to do with the Sonata, which btw saw a big increase in sales? What was the increase in sales in November for the Accord and Camry? (We know Fusion sales increased in November because it was brand-new.)
  • Options
    Sonata's big increase in sales from the previous period was due to a comparison to a dismal Oct 2005.

Accents and Elantras are Hyundais, and support the less than appealing perception of the company by the American consumer.
  • Options
    Sorry, size is not MEANINGLESS.

I will agree with you that the sample size must fairly represent the cross section you are looking at.

My point is your sample size is not as relevant as someone who has talked to more people, JD Power in this case. The more consumers you talk to, the better representation of the whole your sample size is. So, as I said before, size does matter. And as you said, a fair representation of the cross section of the universe is also. Yours is not a fair representation of the universe. JD Power's is more fair.

Didn't mean to "put words in your mouth".
  • Options
    Sonata's big increase in sales from the previous period was due to a comparison to a dismal Oct 2005.

Just as an FYI for you, ontop:

Sonata November sales (US only) for the last 5 years:

Nov 2001 5923
    Nov 2002 5456
    Nov 2003 5973
    Nov 2004 6557
    Nov 2005 14216 ! :shades: All information from Hyundai's corporate website open to all at http://ir.hyundai-motor.com/eng/index.html

While "you" might consider the 04 sales to have been dismal, they were actually in line with sales from the previous years. In each of the previous 4 years, Hyundai sold approx 90,000 to 100,000 Sonatas per year. At the current sales pace of the new 06 Sonata, they will easily meet or exceed their stated goal of 150,000 new 06 Sonatas sold in the US.

Additionally, Hyundai's overall US sales are up approx 10% YTD in the US. Taken as a whole, not bad for a car company that some people want to bury and thoroughly trash. :P

And yes, I am a Hyundai owner. I own an 04 Sonata LX (wife's car) and an 05 Tucson LX AWD (mine). Also, my sister purchased a Tucson based on our experiences with our Hyundais and we all are very satisified with our vehicles. ;)
  • Options
    It is meaningless in the it was presenting it. A smaller sample size representing a cross section of the universe is far better than a much larger one that only represents a few segments. A larger sample does not mean you have a better representation, it does give better assurance if you are just randomly choosing a sample but a properly chosen smaller sample can give better results.

In other words you can randomly pick 20% of the population and I can selectively pick 5% so that its makeup corresponds to the universe as a whole. My 5% will most likely be more accurate than your 20%, at worst it would be the same.

• Options
    No, Sonata's U.S. sales in November were its best EVER, a 117% increase over November 2004. So this is not just a big increase in relation to the October 2005 sales. YTD, Sonata's sales are 10,000 over 2004 sales.

Also Hyundai's U.S. sales in November were its best ever for that month.

As was mentioned by someone else, Hyundai had supply problems in November on the Accent and Elantra. The 2005s were in short supply, and the 2006s had either not arrived yet (Accent) or were just trickling in. You can see that in how Hyundai brought the rebates on the Elantra down to almost nothing--they had few cars to sell. This was an inventory issue, pure and simple--not a quality or perception issue.
  • Options
    "My 5% will most likely be more accurate than your 20%, at worst it would be the same."

What? You are kidding right?

You can hand pick any group to make the results come out to the way you want them. Political pollsters do it all the time.

The more relevant samples, are random. And the larger the random sampling, the more representative of the whole.

snakeweasel, (With a name like yours I would think you would know that size does matter.) ;)

If you want to respond, fine, but let's talk about something else. OK?
  • Options
    The CAW picks the Sonata over the Fusion, and Car and Driver picks the Fusion over Sonata. Both the CAW and C/D do similar testing.

Who's right and why?
  • Options
    day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    i say, forget about them, go testdrive both cars and make decisions on your own. :shades:
  • Options
    It all depends on the criteria used, and the biases (priorities) of the reviewers. So you need to decide what is important for YOU, not what is important for CAW or C/D.

FWIW, the Fusion edged the Sonata 205 to 202. So change the scores just a bit in 1-2 categories and now it's the Sonata over the Fusion. See how important personal preferences are?
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The Japanese yen has been losing a lot of value against the won lately. I know that much of the costs of these cars occur in other countries, but a lot of the R&D and production of components occur in the home country.

If this trend continues, the Koreans are going to have a harder time keeping their price advantage.

Wonder what the prices of Sonata v. Accord will look like in ten years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=JPY&to=KRW&amt=1&t=2y
  • Options
    What? You are kidding right?

Nope and if you knew anything about statistics you would know that.

You can hand pick any group to make the results come out to the way you want them. Political pollsters do it all the time.

While that is true I am talking about picking a sample that reflects the universe. For example if I am sampling Honda Accords and say 5% of them are 4 cylinder engines with 5 speed manuals I would do my best to have 5% of 4 cylinder with 5 speed manuals in my sample. Not to do that would increase my margin of error. Thats what I mean about selecting a sample.

The more relevant samples, are random. And the larger the random sampling, the more representative of the whole.

Not entirely true. While randomness is needed one has to remember that randomness will not always give you a reflection of the population as a whole. If 20% of your population has certain characteristics you want 20% of your population with those same charateritics. Complete randomness might give you 20% or it might get you 10% or even 30% and that increases your margin of error. So a smaller sample with 20% of them having those characteristics will be more accurate that a large sample where 30% have those charateritics.

A relevant sample will reflect the population as a whole and that means you would have to exclude some of the sample and/or go looking for more information.

snakeweasel, (With a name like yours I would think you would know that size does matter.)

You wouldn't say that if you knew how I got the name.

• Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Is it true that the 07 Sonata LX will get a new drivers seat or interior? Where did that nugget of info come from?

My test drive of the Sonata was positive except for the seat issue that others referred to (I was unaware of others' similar complaint when I offered my opinion).

I'd like to check out the Azera and see if it has better seats. More money, but more car. Its not in my area's dealer showrooms yet however.
  • Options
    OK, so to put closure on our discussion, your sampling of relatives and friends and those who drive Hyundais is directly proportionate to those who drive Hondas and Toyotas. So, similar results means that the national results should be close to yours. When, according to national studies, they don't quite match.

Let's agree to disagree on which statistics are correct.

So, whenever I need to compare the quality and reliability of, let's say a Nissan and a Ford, can I call you so you can talk to your friends and relatives? ;)

We'll save "snakeweasel" for another thread.
  • Options
    Just saying that if the quality of the Hyundais is near the bottom of the barrel, as you say it is, it should show up in even a relatively small sample, which it isn't.

• Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    Sonata November sales (US only) for the last 5 years:

Nov 2001 5923
    Nov 2002 5456
    Nov 2003 5973
    Nov 2004 6557
    Nov 2005 14216!

That's a really impressive jump in my opinion. Thanks for sharing this info with us.
  • Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    . . . and I wonder who is/are the victim(s) of Hyundai's sales increase.
  • Options
    Wow - Sonata sales went from poor to good. Maybe their overall lousy reputation will improve one day as well.
  • Options
    OK, now you're putting words in my mouth.

I never used the words, bottom of the barrel, did I? I'm really asking myself this question because I can't remember. :blush:

But, up until the 2005 JD Power Dependability Study, Hyundai was in the bottom five. They have improved greatly since 2002, most studies show that. And that is using a fairly large sample.
This discussion has been closed.