Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here's the information that you're looking for, ashwen. Acura's new November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Acura MDX with 15,000 miles per year are .00162 and 48%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

In addition to the two grand that you mentioned, Acura is running two stairstep dealer cash programs on this truck right now that could potentially enable dealers to earn up to another $2,500 per truck. Some dealers won't receive anything through these programs...how much they get depends upon how many they sell. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that most dealers are banking on getting around $1,250.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    kechal12kechal12 Member Posts: 26
    FYI for everyone, I was quoted the following for '09 MDX/Tech
    MF .00162 (~3.9%)
    RV 45% (with 15k miles)

If can get the preffered purchase financing it makes more sense to me to buy vs. lease.
  • Options
    mensah007mensah007 Member Posts: 8
    Hello Car_Man,

I just wanted to run a few numbers by you. I previously had a deal with a dealership for the 2009 Acura MDX with Tech/Ent. but they were screwing around with me and the whole thing fell threw. I worked out another deal with another dealership here in Maryland and wanted to get your feedback on it before deciding one way or anoother. The following are the details:

2009 Acura MDX Tech & Ent.
    Sale Price: $40,421
    36 month lease, $2800 down - out of pocket - 10k miles per year
    monthly payment - $643.22 (quote includes first payment paid)
    MF .00162
    48% residual
    (Sales person also said that a 48 month lease would actually increase my payments.) :(

Please let me know if you think this is legit or if I should just hold out even longer.

Thanks a mill!
  • Options
    beroppiberoppi Member Posts: 6
    I got a quote on 2009 with Tech for 610 a month, 0 down, TTL up front, in NY area. Probably not a very good deal, but it's hard to get anything better either since there aren't many 2009 left.
  • Options
    car999car999 Member Posts: 6
    $2100 down
    Payments $469 plus tax
    36 months
    36K miles
    RV 50
    MF 000162

Is this a good deal
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    need the msrp and the cost you paid for the unit. It seems high.
  • Options
    clueless_girlclueless_girl Member Posts: 18
    Could someone please tell me if this is a good deal?

The selling price is $39,359
    Money Factor .001620
    Residual 47%
    36 months
    12k miles
    $2000 total out of pocket
    Dealer quoted payment: $589 a month

When I calculated myself the payment comes to $650... I'm confused. Please help! :)
  • Options
    MSRP $40,000
    Purchase Value for the lease: $35,1000
  • Options
    Your deal is fine -- just put less down -- I figured 530 zero down plus tax. You got a nice discount of msrp.[5139] Put the money in the bank and use it to supplement your higher payment.

msrp 41800 --- paid 36661. My figures based on overstock.
  • Options
    Figured your lease without tax and nothing down and it was 593. Aquisition fee and dealer charges extra.
    45850 msrp X 47% =21549 cap cost 39359 - 21549 = 17810/36 = 495

39359 +21549 = 60908 X .00162 = 98

98 + 495 = 593 As long as destination is included in the numbers you have done about as well as you could. What does the 2k down include beside 1st month payment and acquisition fee? I would figure in everything but the 1st payment into the lease including taxes and walk out the door with 1st payment only. Your payments will be higher but you can bank what you were going to put down and use it to offset the increased payments.That is how you should lease.
  • Options
    mroccamrocca Member Posts: 2
    I'm in NJ. Base MDX $2,000 out of pocket, $527.00 per month for 36/mo, 12,000/yr
    (This includes everything)
    How it look?
  • Options
    Looks like a deal most people would get. Tax would be extra. Post all the details like msrp-capcost-money factor-fees at signing.
  • Options
    I got the same deal, tried 5 dealers.
    36/36K 2100 down and 479 month plus tax, so 513 with tax. Nearly the same.
    Where did you go? I went to Springfield Acura...picking up this week.
  • Options
    Consider rolling everything but the first payment into the lease. Adds 45 to your payment but you walk out with zero down. Put the extra $ in the bank and use it to pay down your lease to 513. Tax in illinois would be $66 per month -- you get a break. Nice deal.
  • Options
    janesays19janesays19 Member Posts: 14
    Was quoted the following. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

'09 Base MDX
    36 months
    10k miles/year
    MSRP: 41,800
    Sale price: 35,962
    Residual: 51%
    Money factor: .00162
    Monthly payment: $542.03
    Amount to close: appx. $1600
    (includes registration fee of $340, cap reduc tax of $41, acq fee of $595, other fees of 99.50 and first payment of $542.03)
  • Options
    Taxes?
  • Options
    janesays19janesays19 Member Posts: 14
    They're included in the monthly payment.
  • Options
    Great discount so the lease looks fine. Numbers add up. I keep repeating myself but roll everything but the first payment into the lease. Put the rest in the bank and use it to help paydown the lease to the original quote.
  • Options
    scr1msh4wscr1msh4w Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering a lease and have received essentially the same lease numbers as the email you were replying to. However, I'm still not clear on the benefits of what you've stated: rolling everything but the first payment into the lease and using it to pay down to the original quote. Am I missing some tax benefit? How do you go about paying down to the original quote, and is there a net savings in doing so, or is this just a form of financing (delaying payment)? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to leases and didn't quite understand. Thanks.
  • Options
    Leasing 101 teaches putting as little down as possible. Should your car be totaled you would lose whatever you have in it. If you are only putting down 2k or so then there isnt too much at risk. Having said that, the idea of leasing is to get a nice car with no down payment or trade-in. This is different from a purchase where you will ultimately own the car in 5 years. So by putting down only the first payment and rolling in the taxes-acquisition fee etc into the monthly payment you go zero down and drive away. Obviously this raises your payments by a certain amount but your bank account is bigger. If you want to realize the lower payment take 1/36th of what you retained toward the lease each month or keep it for something else -- your choice. You are not missing any tax benefit or saving any money but you are retaining control of a bit more of your money to spend- invest- or use to supplement your monthly lease payment. When leasing you want as little as possible invested in something you don't own. Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    While I understand that you should always take zero down for a lease, someone told me that you are always liable for the TTL because those are fees already pay to the government upfront for you by the leasing company. Is that true?
  • Options
    True -- can't get the taxes and fees back once paid. But still rolling them in is the way to go. As long as you add nothing to that amount I guess it's an individual decision.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,773
    Actually... you aren't liable..

If you roll the taxes into the CAP cost, then the leasing company has paid those taxes and essentially included the cost in the amount financed.

If your car is then totaled, GAP insurance covers any shortfall... Since the taxes have already been paid, you have no further liability..

On the other hand, if you paid $2500 (or whatever amount) upfront, then if you totaled the car, that money would be gone.... and you would be out the total amount.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    scr1msh4wscr1msh4w Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply--I think that I understand now. I like Acura's current lease on the 2009 MDX, and will be moving forward with it. I'll be doing the $22k buyout after 3 years, but like having the choice (in case gas prices spike north). I do find the $22k residual interesting considering it's hard to find a low mileage used 2007 MDX for $32k! Acura's residual must account for the uncertainty of future gas price effect on the value of an MDX.
  • Options
    tastycakes55tastycakes55 Member Posts: 35
    I'm starting to think a lease on the MDX is a great idea.

Like you point out it is a hedge against higher fuel costs. If the economy recovers (yeah right) then you should be able to flip the MDX quickly for a nice profit.

On the other hand, if gas gets expensive, will be nice to be able to walk away.

Also, if we get some flavor of inflation/stagflation, that $22k may even turn out to be a better bargain in 3 years if the volume of used cars drys up due to the lower production in 08-10 + high price inflation on cars.
  • Options
    Learned something new. Makes sense. Thanks. My next lease will be way different.
  • Options
    So does GAP insurance always part of a lease or is that seperate?
  • Options
    I just completed this deal at Springfield Acura NJ.
    $2100 down ( 895 cap, 522 first, 600 fees etc) $ 522 a month with tax, 36 / 36 K
    RV 50, MF 00162 MSRP 41800 - Buyout 21000 Price: $35200
    Great place to deal with, did it all over the internet. Was in and out in less then an 1hour. Hope this helps.

Great car, but if you get it spring for the side body molding, $300 more, but makes it look great - not included in my deal going to get it done now.
  • Options
    In illinois that sme deal would cost me $591 with only the 1st month down. Yours would be $563. Difference is I have to pay 6.5% sales tax on total cap cost / 36. Decent deal for a 41800 truck.
  • Options
    kokos7kokos7 Member Posts: 32
    2009 MDX, Tech+Ent selling price $40,830.00

Was quoted for a 36month/15K miles lease:
    Money factor: .00162
    Residual: .45
    Cap Cost Reduction: 0
    Monthly Payment (incl. tax): $664.00
    Total Due at Signing (incl. tax/fees): $3720.00/ ($1733.00 of it is NJ Tax)

Something is wrong here...
  • Options
    mroccamrocca Member Posts: 2
    Nice! I just picked up a Base $2,000 down, $527.00 month, 12,000mi, 36 month

I went to Montclair DCH. I was able to get them to include the roof rails.
  • Options
    kvalentinokvalentino Member Posts: 12
    I;m looking to lease the same vehicle...did you close the deal?
  • Options
    kokos7kokos7 Member Posts: 32
    Not yet. The lease comes out to $715/month including the sales tax.
  • Options
    kvalentinokvalentino Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the update and good luck. I will let you know what I come up with on my end.
  • Options
    lyakirlyakir Member Posts: 21
    Just looked at the current special(pasted below), and it states "MSRP $41,800.00 (includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction (which may be paid by the suggested dealer contribution) resulting in actual net capitalized cost $34,921.98. Net capitalized cost includes $595 acquisition fee. " Does this mean I could possibly lease it with net cap $34,921.98 which includes acquisition fee?

FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE: Closed-end lease for 2009 MDX Automatic Transmission (Model YD2829JNW) for $469.00 per month for 36 months with a $2,830.00 capitalized cost reduction available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier. Other rates/tiers are available under this offer. $3,299 total due at lease signing (includes first month's payment and capitalized cost reduction; total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Not all buyers may qualify.

Subject to limited availability. 11/3/2009 through 1/4/2010, to approved lessees by American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2009 MDX Automatic Transmission vehicles (Model YD2829JNW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $41,800.00 (includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction (which may be paid by the suggested dealer contribution) resulting in actual net capitalized cost $34,921.98. Net capitalized cost includes $595 acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Taxes, license, title fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $16,884.00. Option to purchase at lease end $21,318.00. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15 cents/mi. over 10,000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP less than $30,000, but for vehicles with MSRP of $30,000 or more, mileage cost is 20 cents/mi. over 10,000 miles/year. See dealer for complete details.
  • Options
    Hello mensah007. Let's take a look at this deal. The money factor that you were quoted is right in line with Acura's buy rate for this model. That's a good thing.

The dealer invoice price of a 2009 Acura MDX with the Tech and Entertainment packages is $43,321. When one subtracts the $2,000 dealer cash that's available on this truck from that it drops to $41,321. Dealers can earn up to another $1,500 dealer cash on this car for hitting their sales targets. It's difficult to tell exactly how much specific dealers are getting through this program, but I suspect that most will get $500 to $1,000.

As you can see, the price that you were quoted appears to be right around dealer invoice minus all of the available cash incentives...which is a very good deal. If you like the truck, I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Beroppi, Honda Finance always includes gap insurance on its leases at no additional charge, other than the $595 acquisition fee that everyone who leases through them has to pay.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Yes, lyakir, you are interpreting the advertised lease correctly. Keep in mind though that manufacturers' official advertised payments usually leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I would be surprised if you were not able to negotiate a lower selling price than the capitalized cost that was used for this lease. If you are able to negotiate a lower selling price, this truck's payment would be lower as well.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    fabeneagfabeneag Member Posts: 3
    Have negiotiated $41,321 for a '09 Tech/Ent package in MASS. From the posts in this forum it appears I got the deal for dealer invoice minus the $2,000 incentive. I'm happy with the deal since it involved little negiotiation on my part.

Now I have to decide to lease or buy. Do you know if the lease numbers have changed from November. 15,000 miles per year. 36 months.

Still 48% residual and 0.00162 money factor?

thanks in advance!
  • Options
    dutzmandutzman Member Posts: 1
    I am specifically looking for an MDX with the Tech/Entertainment Package originally I was looking for an 07 to save some money but from the looks of the prices I am leaning towards leasing a new one. Has anyone leased an 09 with the Tech and Entertainment package?
  • Options
    lollyrlollyr Member Posts: 3
    I need all the help I can get before going to the dealership. I really like the MDX and will like to get it. CUrrently I have a 2005 Nissan Murano and still have 2 more years payment (HUGE mistake). I bought the car new off the lot and pay $560 a month for it, I cannot believe I signed up for 72months to pay for it. Anyway, I am ready for another car, my murano is a basic S AWD ; I need a car with technology package at this point. Here are my questions; (please make answer as simple as possible as I am truly clueless...LOL)

1) Is it better for me to trade in my car at a place like carmax or sell privately? The blue book value is $12,500 for a trade-in and I owe $9500 on the car.

2) I want to lease the MDX; I saw a special for $459 but I don't know what the fine print means. I really don't want to pay more than I am paying now. But I really really need the technology package

3. What other hidden fees/cost should i try to avoid?

BTW, I have good credit and I am looking in the Baltimore, MD area. Thanks in advance for your help
  • Options
    mel10021mel10021 Member Posts: 31
    Hi car_man

Im looking for a MDX in the St louis area. Wanting to know what the current #'s are for a 36mos / 10k mies per year. Basic model. Had seen ads recently but no longer on site. Does dealer $ - if available - usually include the cap-cost shown in ads ? Thanks
  • Options
    a4sfa4sf Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know what the lease specs are for the 2010 MDX in terms of what Honda is offering for the MF, residual value %? I also haven't been able to find the invoice prices online.
  • Options
    The ads don't tell the story. Negotiate the price off msrp.I know Leta Acura will email you a buy price.Looks like 5k off msrp. Get it and post for others to review. Get the moneyfactor and the residual. Work out the lease numbers then find out what the fees are for doing the deal. Taxes are always extra. The big factor is the cap cost -- what you pay including any rebates etc. The other numbers are set and change. Would do the deal on xmas eve or newyears eve.
  • Options
    mel10021mel10021 Member Posts: 31
    I understand negotiating off the sticker. Was wondering when the ads say cap cost needed if that includes the dealer contribution of what I have to bring to the table
  • Options
    In november the rates were 48% for 15 k miles -- mf was .00162 or 3.8%.
    List 41800 -- cap cost 36800. That lease would run $556 without any acquisition&bank fees title tax etc. If you got 12k miles and 50% rv that would improve the lease by $30. That number assumes you bring nothing to the table but closing costs. There is no current support for mdx leases.
  • Options
    pittfallpittfall Member Posts: 9
    Went to my local Acura dealer today. They had 3, 2010 MDX in and only one is left. Gave me the following numbers
    TECH/ ENT
    36 months/12K
    minimal down
    $835/month with tax
    MF .00162
    res 54%
    based on a price of $48,615, barely $500 below the MSRP. no comparison to the 2009 leases. For me, waiting a few months will make the most sense.
  • Options
    lasvegasrphlasvegasrph Member Posts: 102
    Do you live in Ripoffville, New York? HOLY CRAP! $835/mo for a LEASE on an Acura MDX? Dude, go look at a BMW X5.......it will be cheaper.

Just my 2 cents here........why in the world would ANYONE lease an Acura MDX for $835/mo?? Seriously. Come on. That is just plain DUMB. Leasing is fine if you can get a LOW payment and keep in mind that you are basically "renting" the car for 24/36/48 mos. Even if you made $150,000 a year......why would you even pay $835/mo for ANY Acura product?

Go lease a MB GL450 for that much.
  • Options
    a4sfa4sf Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if accessories like roof racks are depreciated and factor into the residual value of a car?
  • Options
    jayc3jayc3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I need your advice on the below quotes for both premium (base) and technology.

++++++++++++
    2010 Acura MDX Premium (base): 1st payment down, including tax, title lic: $698 down, $698 per mo x 36 months, all taxes and fees included.
    +++++++++++++
    2010 Acura MDX Technology: 1st payment down, including tax, title, lic: $797 down, $797 per month x 36 months, all taxes and fees included.

Thank you in advance,
    Jay
This discussion has been closed.