Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello niceday. The dealer invoice price of a 2010 Acura MDX Advance is $48,314. The $49,000 selling price that you were quoted is equivalent to around $686 over invoice, which is pretty good. You might be able to shave another hundred or two off of this truck's price, but you have to decide if it's worth the effort.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    I'd be happy to help you out, cndnbkn. Acura's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 MDX Base with 15,000 miles per year are .00150 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 MDX Tech are .00150 and 54%.

Your hunch was right, Acura is not currently providing any dealer cash on this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi CalZephyr. the selling price that you were quoted looks great. It's right around dealer invoice on a truck that has no cash incentives on it. The money factor that you were quoted is right on the month, too. If you like the MDX, go for it I don't think that you're going to be able to do significantly better than this.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    calzephyrcalzephyr Member Posts: 2
    Car man, thanks. Now the big question. Is it smart to put down $3,000 or $5,000 down to lower the payments. Is there a break even point? Is it always a bad idea? or a good one? Would like to get the payment down to $530 or so, but it would require a hefty cap cost reduction. Would I just be throwing money away?

Thanks for all the input.

CalZephyr
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Making a down-payment on a lease is almost always a break-even proposition... You do save a little bit of money on the finance charges, but not enough to matter..

The argument for not making a downpayment, is that if your car is totaled early in the lease, you likely won't get any of that downpayment back.... So, if you put $5K down, and the car is totaled two months later, your monthly cost for that two month lease is astronomical.

The cheaper lease payment that you get from making a downpayment is mostly all in your mind.. The true monthly cost of a lease is achieved, when the amount due at signing is equal to the monthly payment. If the car is $700/mo., with $700 due at lease signing, then putting $5000 extra down and making the payment $560/mo., doesn't make the lease any cheaper... Over the 36 months, it will still work out to right around $700/mo., but you've taken on extra risk that is unnecessary.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    crunch8crunch8 Member Posts: 1
    Just received this offer in Oregon. Please keep in mind there is 0% tax in OR.

2010 MDX w/ Tech
    MSRP: $46,715
    Options: Protection Package (+$730)
    Cap Cost: $45,342
    MF: .0015
    Red: 56%
    Fees: $617+600+$80 = $1300
    Down: $700
    Monthly: $617.01
    Miles: 12k/yr
    Length: 36 months

What do you guys think? Also, the salesman showed me a piece of paper showing me that the dealership purchased the car for $44,699 and said he couldn't go lower than that price. I need some quick advice.. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    cndnbkncndnbkn Member Posts: 76
    Crunch8, I think you can do much better. Check out this link to Edmunds invoice pricing for tech package. Keep in mind this excludes destination charges, $810 should be added to both invoice and MSRP.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/acura/mdx/101269193/prices.html

There is $3796 between invoice and MSRP. You are only getting $1371 off, $2001 off if you count the "protection package". I personally would call that the dealers extra profit package. Even if you really like the items they included on the package my guess is that you can't count this into residual or MSRP calculations so your lease payment is much higher because you are paying for all $730 of it not your 40% depreciation or so ownership of the vehicle.

I think you can get $500 over invoice, maybe only $1,000 over invoice in an area with limited supply of vehicles. Meaning shoot for a purchase price of $44,639(with $730 protection package) possibly as low as $44,139, take $730 off these numbers if you choose to drop the protection package.

Remember the dealership is also going to get 2-3% dealer hold back paid to them buy American Honda if the vehicle is sold within the first 120 days on the lot. The way MDX's are selling not many sit on the lot that long. So the dealership is still making close to another $1000 bucks on this. They will be okay and get a win and so will you.

Don't know what all the other figures for $1,300 down is for sounds high but hard to tell without knowing what it is.

Your lease MF and RES sound correct.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    beantown7beantown7 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am in the market for a 2010 MDX adv with ent. Boston , MA area. What can i expect to pay from invoice? How mcuh can i expect to pay for add- ons such as trailer hitch, roof rack, etc? The invoice for those options are not listed on Edmunds or elsewher i could find
    Thanks
    G
  • Options
    saaber1saaber1 Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2010
    hi carman (and anyone else),

can you advise if this is a good lease quote:

acura MDX base
    12K miles
    36 mos
    MSRP: $43040K
    selling price: $39586K (includes dest fee and regional ad fee)
    MF: .0015
    Res: 58%
    $0 cap cost reduction
    doc $298 (inception fee)
    bank fee: $595 (inception fee)
    NJ supplemental tax: $158
    total cap cost: $40878K
    monthly lease: $541 (includes taxes)

it sounds like the selling price is below invoice so i want to make sure that i am not getting shafted in some other way. also, if i want the tech, it'll run about $60 more per month. that reasonable?

thanks so much.
  • Options
    borderman01borderman01 Member Posts: 10
    Hey Saaber1,
    Would that happen to be the dealership in paramus by chance ?

Thnx
  • Options
    no. springfield acura.
  • Options
    david1999david1999 Member Posts: 1
    Hope someone may have some info to help me. Looking to lease a MDX Tech Package in the Los Angeles area within the next week or two...We could wait longer if needed. For years we have been told that buying a car during Memorial Day, Labor Day, and 4th of July weekend holidays are the best time to buy (especially american vehicles) due to the manufactures throwing extra bonus cash / rebates to help move the cars. Does anyone know if Acura/Honda is going to have any incentives for this Memorial Day on the MDX? Would sure help make the sale a little easier to swallow.

Also, anyone have and experience with Los Angeles Acura dealers who they felt were the best to work with on price. Looking for the best lease I can on this vehicle. It looks like on this forum that $42,000 seems to be the lowest price on the vehicle - Is this a reasonable price to hold out for in Los Angeles?
    Last question, how many years has this body style been out? Anyone know if the 2011's will be very different? Any idea when they will come out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this first timer..
  • Options
    cndnbkncndnbkn Member Posts: 76
    I have been looking at leases on these for 3-4 months and that is a very good deal. The degree to how good it is depends on what the taxes are in NJ, and if you pay for the entire cap cost or just the depreciation. Either way its a good deal. Knowing the tax rate and the way its calculated could make it rock bottom deal or just good deal depending. I wouldn't feel bad at all pulling the trigger on it though. :)
  • Options
    acar10acar10 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Looking to lease a basic MDX in westchester, NY and been offered $490 p/m with 3,500 down. Invoice at 39,600 vs MSRP 43,000. 12,000 miles/36 months. Is this good? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    the tax is 7% in NJ. they are taking the invoice price and applying the tax on it. so the lease price is inclusive of the tax.

what i am wondering is that the NJ registration fee is $97 (or in that ballpark) and i think the $399 they are quoting is pure markup. need negotiate since my fees total 2K which i think is alot (no cap cost reduction either).
  • Options
    I think that NJ is collecting three or four years of registration upfront on new cars now... Might be a recent change (within the last couple of years)...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thanks kyfdx. do you think this is a good deal? also, do you think my inception fees of 2K can be negotiated (items are tire tax, NJ supplemental tax, registration, doc fee, 1st month, bank fee...i know bank fee and taxes cannot but what about the doc fee?)
  • Options
    How good of a deal is it? You'll have to judge it against other deals reported here..

A couple of notes.. Pretty sure that NJ collects the 7% tax on the total of lease payments, but gets it upfront... That is difference in CAP cost and selling price...The tax is rolled into the CAP cost..

I'm not sure where you have negotiating room.... the only extra that I see is the doc/dealer fee, but usually not worth fighting over that... you'd be better off trying to get the selling price lower.

If you don't want to put $2000 upfront (and, I wouldn't), they could at least roll all but the first payment into the lease.. That doesn't change the cost, but it does give you a lease payment that reflects the actual cost..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thanks kyfdx. i haven't seen any NJ deals reported by others.

i see what you are getting at with the selling and cap cost prices. i noticed that the cap cost is $40878 and the selling price is $39589. the difference is the tax.
  • Options
    bdell17bdell17 Member Posts: 6
    Typical NJ up front costs are:

DMV - $302
    Bank Fee - $595
    Docs - $249
    NJ tax on bank fee and docs - $59
    Luxury tax - $174

Don't see any wiggle room there.
  • Options
    bdell17bdell17 Member Posts: 6
    You can pay NJ sales tax with the monthly payment and not up front.
  • Options
    You can roll it into the CAP cost, which adds it to the monthly payment, but I'm pretty sure the state collects the tax upfront, either way..

A small distinction, but different from having the payment taxed each month... If you move to a monthly tax state during the lease term, it can become a big distinction..

regards,
    kyfdx
    (often mistaken, but never in doubt.. ;) )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    funkbfunkb Member Posts: 3
    I was offered $599 a month, with $3500 down for a 36/10,000 in Manhattan. How do I even know if this is good or what really good would be? He said that it was $700 over invoice. . . Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    B
  • Options
    rizzotreemanrizzotreeman Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone - favor to ask - looking to lease an MDX tech this week in Westchester County, NY. Does anyone know the current residual and money factor for 10,000 miles, 3 yrs? I cant seem to find a recent update on this board, but I think at one point it was 59% and .00151. Also, does anyone know if the residual includes the assumed residual of any accessories installed, like running boards? Or does the leasee effectively pay the full cost of that over the lease term. Finally, it seems that 44k as the basis for a lease on a Tech with Advance running boards might seem like a good starting point, no? Thanks in advance for any updated terms or thoughts.
  • Options
    mjt9090mjt9090 Member Posts: 5
    This is the deal that is on the table... Any help would be much appreciated.

MDX base 
    10K miles 
    36 mos 
    MSRP: $43040K 
    selling price: $39586K (includes dest fee and regional ad fee)
    Down payment $1500     
    35 months at: $502 + tax

Is there anyway I can do better? What kills me is the 9.25% tax rate here.  
  • Options
    is95a1is95a1 Member Posts: 7
    This is what I was quoted and am having a hard time with the #'s:
    36mo., 10k/year
    MSRP $48,665
    Cap Cost $46,000 (includes acces below)
    BSM
    Tow package
    Roof rail and cross bars
    Sport running boards
    +
    Acquisition Fee $595
    Dealer Doc Fee $100
    Reg and Title $274
    MD Sales Tax (6%) $2766
    Total Net Cap Cost $49,735

Residual 56%
    MF .0015

Based on their $48,665 MSRP, a 56% residual would be $27,252.40
    Depreciation would equal $22,482.60

Monthly Rent $115.48
    Monthly Depreciation $624.52
    Total Monthly $740.00

Drive off $740 (out of pocket)

This is where I get confused, shouldn't the additional accessories be factored into the MSRP (i.e. $48,665 + approx $2k in accessories = $50,665)? In this case, residual would be Otherwise, why get accessories on a lease???

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Accessories rarely get residualized.. sometimes, there may be a small amount allowed, but not usually... They can really drive up the cost of the lease, because you are fully paying for them, even though you only get partial use.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    realcrapperrealcrapper Member Posts: 22
    What kind of residual rate can I expect on a 2010 Acura MDX with Tech and Entertainment? 36 month lease, 10,000 miles per year, and excellent credit score. Dealer is quoting 56%, but I think it should be higher. Please help!
  • Options
    bignasty1bignasty1 Member Posts: 26
    Car Man, I was wondering if there has been any change to June programs? I am looking to buy an MDX in the next week and want to make sure I am up to speed.

Thanks.
  • Options
    speedingriskspeedingrisk Member Posts: 1
    Can someone post up the June rates for a 36 month, 15k mile lease? Also, the dealer told me yesterday that the Advanced Package has different rates, is this true?
  • Options
    bignasty1bignasty1 Member Posts: 26
    Correction - I am leasing a car. Thanks again Car Man.
  • Options
    Acura's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 MDX with Tech, Entertainment, and 10,000 miles per year are .00140 and 56%, respectively for consumers who opt to go with a nothing due at signing lease and qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi bignasty1. I believe that Acura's June lease program is exactly the same as its May program was.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hello speedingrisk. Acura's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2010 Acura MDX with 15,000 miles per year are .00140 and 56%, respectively for consumers who go with a sign and drive lease and qualify for its top credit tier.

The money factor for a '10 MDX with the Advance package is exactly the same, but its residual value is a whopping four points lower.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    lortam1lortam1 Member Posts: 1
    Base 2010 MDX
    Cash Price $41,683
    Optional equipment- DVD Player $1,299
    Total Cap cost-$42982

Zero Money down.

12k yr 36 month= $602.45 montlhy lease payment

tax,title,acquisition fee= $2000
  • Options
    heytrayheytray Member Posts: 14
    Here's my deal ********RADLEY ACURA************** washington DC area virginia
    2010 Acura MDX tech black on black
    MRSP 46765
    my price 42099
    no money down
    my payment 616.51
    residual .56 36 month lease 12000 miles
    my money factor was .00150 because I did not want to pay the tax up front
    to qualify for the .00140 you have to pay the tax up front read the fine print
    Good experience*****************************
  • Options
    heytrayheytray Member Posts: 14
    picked up the car, no upselling, no changes, awesome experience, very impressed with the dealership(see above) :)
  • Options
    moncheromonchero Member Posts: 6
    Car_man,

I intend to lease a 2010 MDX with Tech Pkg. (Northern CA)
    I will, in all likelihood, buy it at the end of the lease term.

Q: Knowing that I will likely buy at the end of the lease term, are there any factors that I should pay special attention to when negotiating?

General FYI - using "internet" links to get quotes from area dealers (100 mi radius), I've gotten basically the same offer from 3 dealers:
    MSRP 46765
    "Price": $44,500, $44,500 and $44,100
    Money factor: .0015, .0015, .0014
    Money down: $1350, $695, $928

I'm going to press each of them to get closer to invoice.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I had two dealers offer this same basic deal, and two who refused to match it. June 29, 2010.
    MDX with Tech Package and it already had the Protection Package 1 $386 retail (all weather floor mats all around)
    I went with the following, but had to drive an hour to get the car:
    MSRP: $46,765
    My Price: $43,318
    Residual: $26,656
    Drive Off: $710
    3yrs/30k miles
    Monthly Payment with tax: $628
    Money Factor: .00140
    Northern California
    Oddly, there were only a couple of MDX with Tech Package within 100 miles...I checked it myself. I usually consider a dealer who says "supply is limited" to be full of BS, but in this case it turned out to be somewhat true. The next day I got two calls from different dealers in the Bay Area who were willing to match that price "if I would come in before the end of the month."
  • Options
    foolerytomfoolerytom Member Posts: 1
    2010 MDZ Advance (no Ent)

$48,985 - car
    $595 - bank fee

$49,510 - TOTAL

Payment = $696.48 + $67.91 (tax) = $764.39

36 months, 15k miles

TOTAL Drive off $2699, consists of . . .
    1st - $764.39
    Car Reduction = $1118.42
    Tax on Cap reduction = $113.44
    CA License = $657.75
    Doc fee = $45

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi monchero. Individual dealers do not have the authority to alter vehicles' published residual values so I don't think that you need to do anything differently when negotiating your lease if you are strongly considering buying your vehicle at lease-end. Just negotiate the lowest possible selling price and make sure that the dealer uses Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor to calculate your payment like you always would.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Thanks Car_Man and others. Forum saved me hundreds...maybe thousands.

For others still shopping, I had GREAT success negotiating via the Internet and email with dealers. They were all willing to give me real numbers via email...and as soon as I said I got a better deal somewhere else, they offered even lower prices. I'd recommend it to anyone as a way to buy. I did provide the dealers my phone number, and on occasion they would call...but i never answered, I would always communicate via email. I felt I could collect my thoughts better this way.

I sent out the same email and asked them to provide MSRP, my price, residual, money factor, monthly payment with and without taxes, mileage allowance and drive off. This allowed for an easy comparison.

Good luck to all.

M
  • Options
    calcougcalcoug Member Posts: 3
    Car_Man

Thinking of getting a 2010 MDX but wanted to consider a lease. If we lease an MDX and pay the entire lease upfront, do we save money? We can pay cash upfront and I kind of like the idea of turning the car in after 3 years or having the option to buy it if I like it. Do you have any advice and numbers we should be looking at? It would be for 3 years, 15 k a year. Looking at base or technology package. Got a quote to pay upfront lease fee at 56% residual and .00071 money factor. Please help.

Thanks
  • Options
    40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    If you have that much cash available, you'd probably be better off just buying the vehicle rather than leasing it.
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
  • Options
    omadao24omadao24 Member Posts: 14
    Question. Looking to get a MDX but want the dealer to put on some extras including roof rails, body side molding, side steps, etc. How do these get factored into the lease? Is there a residual value for these as well or is it normal for the buyer to fully pay for the add-ons either upfront or over the course of the lease.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    is95a1is95a1 Member Posts: 7
    No unfortunately they do not. I was questioning this too, since I normally buy my cars. Best bet is to get the model you want and purchase accessories online at places like www.handaccessories.com or do a google search. You will need to install them yourself, but atleast you are not paying msrp...
  • Options
    enthusiastdreenthusiastdre Member Posts: 51
    Car_Man, could you please post the MDX rates + residual for July? It looks the money factor may have changed from the June rate. MDX Base & MDX + Tech Please.
  • Options
    borderman01borderman01 Member Posts: 10
    Got a quote from a dealership in NJ for the following;
    Base MDX 2010
    36 months
    10K miles
    $543 per month including NY taxes
    $1479.81 plus NY DMV (approx = $302) Total out of pocket fees
    Zero down

Rep say that today is last day of this program and if I wait I will miss out on deal and may not get a better deal. Is this true? Thnx.
  • Options
    btomasiebtomasie Member Posts: 30
    Hello all,

I am "browsing" to see if a leased MDX is in our future. I am wondering what the new July numbers are for both the Tech. and Advanced packages for 12K miles?

Also, since this was a "facelift" this year, does that mean NOTHING better will be in the 2011?

Thanks so much!
    Brian
  • Options
    jdavidsonjdavidson Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2010
    Hi,

I'm interested in an mdx but have a more general question about car leasing and I'm not sure where to post it. My company has given me a budget to lease a car. I'm good as long as I stay within the budget. I'd like to decrease the residual of the lease while staying within the budget to allow me to purchase the car inexpensively at lease end. I've double checked with my company and they are fine with this as long as I stay within the allotted budget.

I understand that most people want the highest residual value possible to lower lease payments. Will car dealers be willing to decrease the residual for me or is this number set by the car company? If the car dealer can set the number, any tips on how to best negotiate/navigate this would be appreciated.

tia,
    jd
This discussion has been closed.