Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Lease Questions

Comments

• mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I asked this question in the prior post, but got no response. What part of the country is offering the residual enhancement? There is no such animal being offered in Ohio.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    It is most likely in the Southeast region. SET (southeast toyota) has their own independent finance entity and thus why you will typically see things not offered by TFS.
  • docvoxeldocvoxel Member Posts: 1
    I received a quote today on a Blizzard Pearl Hybrid Limited, loaded with a MSRP of 48,812.

I was quote a cap cost of 43,700 with MF of .00137. 12,000 a year. This is in NY.

All taxes and fees in the lease except 1st and DMV.

At signing 993.24

Monthly 765.74

What do you guys think? Do you think May will be a better month for leasing this thing?
  • monkee08monkee08 Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like you got a great deal, I am shopping around for a similarly equipped 08 HL Sport, I would appreciate it if you could email your pricing info, Thanx!
  • insearchinsearch Member Posts: 44
    Could we PLEASE get some insight on the new deals in April. I have to buy a car this week and would really appreciate some of your thoughts on the current and possible future residuals and money factors. Thanks in advance.
  • kylechoffmankylechoffman Member Posts: 79
    Is it really possible to make up the premium you are paying on a hybrid during a lease period? From what I have read, it takes a long time (sometimes 5 years or more) to recoup the premium in gas mileage/ pump price savings.

So why pay for a hybrid, pay less per month and over the term of the lease.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    08 Highlander Base 4x2, with PKGS of Day Time Light, Cold, Convenience.

3 years / 12-K mi. per year

No money down / $315 per month (tax incl.) / $700 due at signing
    $700 = 1st payment 315, adm fee 298, Reg/plate 87.
    The gas saving per year can be estimatted roughly as below, based on 12-K miles all city driving, saved 9 MPG (hybrid city: 27 - nonhybrid 4x2: 18)

Hybrid gas consumed : 12,000 miles / 27 MPG = 444 GAL
    Non-Hyb gas consumed : 12,000 miles / 18 MPG = 667 GAL

Money Saving on Gas per Year is between 669.00 to 725.00
    equal to monthly lease payment of $62.00
    667 GAL - 444 GAL = 223 GAL per year
    223 GAL x $3.00 = $669.00
    223 GAL x $3.25 = $725.00
  • dacarpenterdacarpenter Member Posts: 10
    Can you give us more details on this: what cap cost, residual and MF did they offer you? tnx
    MSRP : 27,965
    SELL PRICE : 22,488
    The deal is off due to trad-in problem.
    I didn't even ask the residual because Toy dealer offered trade-in 15,000 on MSRP 26,000 ... 07 Honda Odyssey LX w/7,300 mi.

Can't believe Odyssey has a depreciation of 11,000 for just 9 months. They want to make a big profit on the ODY trade-in. Kelly Blue Book is 21,000
  • omegadirectiveomegadirective Member Posts: 12
    I am trolling dealers by email for a quote on '08 Highlander , Sport, 4x4, with leather and navigation. Most vehicles they have quoted are packaged with other options I don't really need, e.g. sunroof, tow package. In any case, I am being quoted an average price around $35,500 which is quite higher than Edmunds' TMV of about $34,800 and invoice of $33,545. I am hoping to lease rather than finance and my questions are:

a) What kind of lease terms would be considered good for a highlander in this price range?
    b) Should I haggle with the dealers about the price first, and then work out the lease, or just try and get lease terms that are acceptable to me. I am new to leasing and am unfamiliar with its nuances.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Hi, all, here I am again trying to find out what lease deals are available in the northern Nj area in leasing an 08 Highlander Limited with dvd and nav....These forums were very helpfull to me in getting a good lease on my 2008 Sienna Limited.
    Any help and advice from other expiriences will be greatly appreciated.
    Please provide delership and sales person if it is posible...
    Thanka a bunch.
  • the_b_manthe_b_man Member Posts: 4
    Do NOT buy in NJ!!! See my deal below:

I have found this forum very helpful so I hope my experience helps:

Highlander Base 4x4 with options for an MSRP of $31,500
    36 month
    12 k mileage / year
    GAP insurance

Purchased in PA but title, tax for NJ (do not buy in NJ they will not deal, I saved over $800 plus I got more options-- I was told in NJ you can't get a base model with a power driver seat--- simply not true!!!)

$200 down, $398 / month.

I'm pretty sure this is an amazing deal. I don't think I could have done any better. They "lost" money on this.

I contacted dealers in 4 different states to get this deal. The dealerships on the mainline outside of philadelphia were the best.

Good Luck!
  • bbutashbbutash Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone post the current MF and Residual for a 2008 Highlander Limited?

Thanks

- B
    from Manufacture www.toyota.com

Shopping Tool > Local Specials > Enter ZIP "GO" > MAY Special Offer on Left side, click Highlader - Lease > Can print out the offer

Lease a new 2008 Toyota Highlander for just $269.00 a month. 36-month closed end lease on Highlander model #6948. $1999.00 due at signing which includes first month’s payment of $269.00, acquisition fee of $550.00, customer capitalized cost reduction of $1,180.00, and security deposit of $0 with the following optional equipment: 50 State Emissions, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Engine Immobilizer, Daytime Running Light Package. $25,442.00 adjusted capitalized cost assumes dealer participation, which may vary. MSRP $29,925.00 includes destination charge. 36 base monthly payments total $9,684.00. Your payment may vary depending on final price. Base monthly payments of $269.00 does not include tax. Taxes, license, title, insurance, regionally required equipment, and other dealer’s charges are extra, and are not included in the amounts shown. Lessee pays maintenance, excess wear and tear and $0.15 per mile charge for all mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lease end purchase option $16,775.00. Program only available to customers with well qualified credit through Toyota Financial Services. Not all customers will qualify. Delivery must be taken from dealer stock by 6/2/2008 and is subject to availability. Customer's final payment may be higher or lower, depending on final transaction price. Offer cannot be combined with other special offers. See your participating Toyota Dealer for more details.
  • jmcclenahanjmcclenahan Member Posts: 15
    ocautoseeker,

I found this post from Jan where you said you could get the exact TFS residual for a given VIN. Can you get me the (36m/12k mile per year) residual for JTEES42A782035658 ?

Thanks!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi insearch. Toyota's lease program for the 2008 Highlander varies by region. In many areas, Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate for it is .00137 for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier, but some areas have better rates than this. The lowest money factor that I have seen for this truck right now is .00067. If you let us know what state you are in, I am sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member would be happy to try to give you an idea of what this vehicle's buy rate is in your neck of the woods.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi bbutash. Toyota's lease program for the 2008 Highlander varies by region. In many areas, Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate for it is .00137 for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier, but some areas have better rates than this. The lowest money factor that I have seen for this truck right now is .00067. If you let us know what state you are in, I am sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member would be happy to try to give you an idea of what this vehicle's buy rate is in your area.

As far as this truck's residual values go, they vary by term, mileage allowance, and trim level so you are going to have to be more descriptive for us to give you an accurate idea of what they are right now. To be honest with you, Toyota Financial Services' residual value percentages are not that useful for consumers to know anyhow. This is because that TFS places restrictions upon which options can be residualized making it tough for anyone other than dealers to calculate models actual dollar residual values.

Car_man
    Host
  • rrherrrrherr Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the great input. Can anyone post MF and residual value for HL Sport in Atlanta area. Looking for a lease, likely 48 months.

One dealer offered $477/month including tax, no money down for 48 mo, 12k mi/yr lease of Highlander Limited with options, no nav. This sounds pretty competitive. I would really like to be under $400/mo including tax and figured the Sport with leather may be a way to get there. Is it possible?

Also, we put very few miles on our car (20k on current 36 month lease ending this month) and would consider 10K miles/yr. Will this help lower the monthly payment enough to make a difference (assuming a dealer will offer it)?
  • dmilanidmilani Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted 37171.10 for a Limited with NAV (MSRP is 40816). I got Tier 1 MF of 0.00067, but the Residual for 36/12,000 is 19974.00.

Does that seem way too low? I'm in MA.

Thanks.
    I just leased (36m/12k) almost the same vehicle (Limited with NAV, but no DVD). MSRP was $40,310. I also neg. a hitch receiver for a bike rack we have at no additional cost (about $200 of additional value). I paid $37,888 with $1557 total out of pocket (including first month's payment).

The residual was exactly the same - $19,974. Money factor is .00117 and payment is $599 per month.

I am in lower CT (NYC area).

So I think your price of $37,171 is good and the money factor is great (is this TFS or another lessor? Rates do vary by region so maybe they are better in MA), but how much do they want out-of-pocket? Be careful they don't try to add-on bogus fees.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    I got HL Ltd w/Nav & Sirius on 5/31. Sticker 40,979, paid 36,600. Also got 19,974 Residual with 36/12K lease, so that appears to be the going %. Brian Bemis Toyota in DeKalb, IL...awesome experience !!
    Just curious - what was your out-of-pocket and what was the money factor?
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Actual $$ out-of-pocket was zippo, I applied some of my trade allowance to cover fees & 1st mo pmt (total $1656). MF was .00133.
  • yesdog99yesdog99 Member Posts: 7
    When looking at Toyota.com for lease specials, it says:
    Highlander for 289/mo with 3399 down.
    Does not include tax, title, lic.

So that basically means I would have to come up with the 3399 plus say 2300 more? 5500+ out of pocket seems to be a bit much no??? Can I expect to do any better than this?

I want to do no or little out of pocket, so does that mean I will be paying 500 a month? Yikes
  • paul106paul106 Member Posts: 1
    My company is leasing me a vehicle for 3yr 36k. I am looking at he highlander sport with leather. I have never leased a car before so I have no idea what a good deal is. Our company credit they said was perfect Tier1 ?? They quoted me $1500 down and $475 month with a $18560 residual. Does this seem to be a good deal?

Thanks
  • a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Member Posts: 43
    I too am buying a Highlander Sport fully loaded in NJ or PA and I cannot get a dealer to quote a percentage residual value. They will only come up with a number.

For a car with a 40k MSRP, residual value has been quoted by one dealer at $19196 or about 48%, and another at $18564 or about 46.5%.

These are very, very low numbers and I can't seem to be able to negotiate them. I have never seen this before. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

I've also been told that Toyota Finance does not include GAP insurance for its leases and was quoted $525. Sound right?

Also can the $550 aquisition fee be negotiated away or is it a must?
    For a car with a 40k MSRP, residual value has been quoted by one dealer at $19196 or about 48%, and another at $18564 or about 46.5%. These are very, very low numbers and I can't seem to be able to negotiate them. I have never seen this before. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

Toyota sets a different residual value on each vehicle based on it's options - it's not a set 50%, 55%, 68%, etc. like some manufacturers. Whatever residual value they are quoting is what they have - it's non-negotiable.

I've also been told that Toyota Finance does not include GAP insurance for its leases and was quoted $525. Sound right?

Yes, but negotiate that somewhere between $200 - $400.

Also can the $550 aquisition fee be negotiated away or is it a must?

No, this is a one time fee that goes to TFS for originating the lease. Dealers can and have been known to mark this up, so be sure that it stays at $550. You can pay it upfront or cap it into your lease payments.
  • rhhudsonrhhudson Member Posts: 1
    Need some help. These are the figures I am being giving by the dealer on a 15k/36 month 08 Base Highlander lease:
    MSRP: $ 27679.00
    Sale price :$25350.00---cap cost w/acquisition fee: $25,945.00
    36 months w/15000 miles yr.
    money factor .00219
    residual rate .48
    monthly pymt. $377.17
    up front money at time of signing :$393.67

I really like the deal, but my figures show that the payment should be closer to $420 before taxes. What gives?
    Yeah, something is amiss with their numbers. I'm showing ~$437/mo (not including tax) with the numbers you provided. You might wanna' give them a call and ask them to run through the structure with you again.

Only $393.67 due at signing? Cheap registration in your state??
  • pmelanc1pmelanc1 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know the current MF and Residuals for 2008 Highlander Limited FWD?

Thanks.
    Hi pmelanc1. Toyota's lease program varies by term, mileage allowance, and region. You never mentioned what any of these variables are, so I'll make some guesses just to give you a rough idea of what this truck's current program is like. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease in Toyota's New York region with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. TFS' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '08 Highlander Limited 2WD in its New York region with 15,000 miles per year are .00087 and 50%, respectively.

As was mentioned above, keep in mind that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized and caps on the ones that it allows. This makes it difficult to calculate the actual dollar residual values for specific units from the percentages.

Car_man
    Host
  • milstone24milstone24 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted around the same MSRP 28,105, and sale price of 25,572 (base 4x2).
    toyota guy would not give me a residual percentage but rather a dollar amount of 14,400 (decent). 36m 12K was around 394.00 with taxes with about 500.00-600.00 down. According to my calculations should be around 405.00-410.00 a month. Just outside of Philadelphia, so I am not sure either.
  • marinitemarinite Member Posts: 44
    Hi CarMan,
    Any chance you have the current stats on the same car for Northern California/Bay Area?

Highlander Ltd, 2wd and/or awd, 36mo lease w/12k/yr miles.

Thanks much!
    Cate
  • thechairman1thechairman1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi Car man.

Interested in the current residual, money factor and any incentives on a lease in northern NJ for a 2008 Highlander 4WD at 36 months and 12,000 miles per year. Interested in the Limited andLimited Hybrid.

Many thanks.
  • kasey36kasey36 Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping I can get some opinions on a lease quote I just received via the internet. I'm new to leasing and have been searching for a Highlander Sport for a while now. I'm on Long Island and qualify for Tier 1 financing. The quote I received was for $435 a month, with taxes, titles, etc. out of pocket. Is this a good deal? Thanks for any help.
  • sim24sim24 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote today for a Ltd with all options except rear DVD for $585 no money down (Long Island area). After reading some other quotes, this seems decent, but I still think its's too high for a lease. The msrp is $40,650, and the purchase price I negotiated is $35,500. I'm thinking of purchasing instead of leasing. Any thoughts?
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    Car man or anyone else that can add some color to my dilema,

What will happen to the residual values on the 08 highlander when the 09 hits the lots? Is that a number set by toyota based on the calendar or the year model.

Our 05 XC90 lease is up at the end of the month and because of the near zero money factor on the volvo lease we haven't been able to get as much SUV for our dollar.

I have been looking for deals but haven't seen a lot of promise on the pilot or highlander.

We're most likely going to extend the volvo in hopes that better deals come up as the end of the year approaches.
    Hi thechairman1. If I was in the market for a new SUV, this is probably the one that I would go for right now. Toyota Financial Services' current New York region buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Highlander 4WD with 12,000 miles per year are an amazingly low .00001 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. As I always say when talking about TFS leases, keep in mind that it places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes it difficult for anyone but dealers who are given the actual numbers by TFS to calculate the dollar residuals of specific units.

TFS' residual value for an otherwise identical lease of a 2008 Highlander Hybrid 4WD is 57%, but not surprisingly Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on it. That means if you lease a hybrid version through TFS, you will have to use its standard lease money factor. The last time that I saw it, TFS' standard was .00265 for Tier 1+ customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi chuckjr. Toyota Financial Services publishes new residual values every quarter. So, its current resids for the 2008 Highlander will remain the same through September 30th. I suspect that its fourth quarter residual values for this model will be lower for a number of reasons, including the fact that resids naturally fall as the model year progresses, the introduction of the '09 model, and the general pressure that banks are under to lower vehicles' often inflated residual values in the current environment. How much they will drop is the question. Toyota came out this week and said that it plans to continue offering aggressive leases on its vehicles, so I don't anticipate its resids falling off of a cliff.

Car_man
    Host
  • mlees33mlees33 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man,

I live in San Diego and am interested in Highlander Limited 2WD or Sport 2WD, for 36 months at 12k or 15k per year. Is TFS running a similar money factor in my region on the 2008s? Should I wait for the 2009s?

Thanks!
  • rubicon4rubicon4 Member Posts: 6
    Car_man,

Do you know the residual and MF for a 2008 Limited AWD in Colorad region?

Thank you very much!
  • wareagle1997wareagle1997 Member Posts: 10
    Car Man-
    I will be leasing or purchasing a 2008 Highlander LTD or Hybrid LTD on Sept. 20 in either Tuscaloosa, Ala. or Atlanta, Ga. Can you please provide me with TFS's third quarter money factor and residual for each assuming a 36 mo/12k lease term? Earlier in this forum I saw you posted a .00001 MF on the LTD but that seems too good to be true. Was that a typo?

I was also told by the dealer in Atlanta to expect a $3000 cash back incentive to be announced on Sept. 3, and was wondering if this applied to leases as well as cash/financing?

Thanks in advance.
  • jk764jk764 Member Posts: 17
    I was offered the following for a fully loaded 2008 Limited (7passenger) - 36mth lease at 12k per year:

MSRP: $42,350
    My price: $39,537
    Residual: $18,669
    MF: .00001
    Zero down, monthly payment (excludes taxes) is $642.

Question: Is this a good deal? And should I consider trying to get a lower price and buying instead?

Thanks!
  • sportjunkies1sportjunkies1 Member Posts: 2
    your numbers don't add up. with the numbers you gave you should be at $595 + taxes. The money factor I am sure is .00080.
  • wareagle1997wareagle1997 Member Posts: 10
    Does this sound way out of whack?
    I was just quoted by my local Toyota dealer:

2008 Highlander LTD 2WD:
    36 mo/12k 43% resid., .00279 MF
    48 mo/12k 37% resid., .00279 MF

2008 Highlander Hybrid LTD:
    36 mo/12k 49% resid., .00279 MF
    48 mo/12k 39% resid., .00279 MF
  • jk764jk764 Member Posts: 17
    I agree. Should be $620/mth which inc. taxes.

My calculation is as follows:

Depreciation = $20,868 / 36mths = $579.66/mth + 7% tax of 40.58 = 620 / mth. That's assuming MF is .00001.

If I can get Cap cost down to 37,000 or 37,500 would be happy. Will post results ... assuming don't go w/ an XC90.
    Hi wareagle1997. The amazingly low money factor that I mentioned earlier is correct. However, it is not available in your area. I believe that the places that you are considering leasing your vehicle in are in Toyota's Southeast region. SE Toyota is an independent distributor that uses its own captive finance company instead of Toyota Financial Services to lease vehicles. Unfortunately, I have not seen its specific lease program for this truck recently.

I think that the dealer you spoke with was overly optimistic about the Highlander's cash incentives. According to the latest information that I have seen, Toyota is currently providing $1,500 customer cash on the '08 Highlander in your area in September.

Car_man
    Host
  • robray222000robray222000 Member Posts: 8
    carman,

Thanks for this forum. I am about to lease an 08 Highlander Limited. What is the current MF in FL for this vehicle? Are there any hidden costs I should be aware of?
    Here are the specs on my vehcile:
    Base: 32900
    Options: 6198
    Handling: 745
    Options:
    tow prep
    rear a/c
    Mats w/o SDAT
    spoiler
    heated seats
    power rear door
    sunroof
    roadside assist
    navigation
    MSRP is $39,893, quoted MF is .00229 on 365 months

I think my sales price should be around $36,500, what do you think and what should I expect for a realistic MF?
  • jnkohjnkoh Member Posts: 37
    Here is an offer i got in Northern NJ
    2008 Highlander Base 4wd Option B

MSRP 31,655
    Cap Cost 28,655
    Residual 15,794
    MF 0.00001
    Inceptions/Fees/First month Payment: 1595
    Monthly Payment:$361
    Tax is $966, paid up front

So far the best deal I have been quoted. I am wondering if dealers are willing to go less than that on Cap Cost, According to Edmunds invoice on this car is 27854, so they make about 801 on the car plus their fees. Is it unreasonable given the low demand for SUV's now to get invoice pricing?
This discussion has been closed.