Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    No, the SRX does no compete with the GX470. The GX470 is based on the Toyota Prado (sold overseas), which is a good rugged vehicle. It's pretty popular where I live.

The SRX is a crossover SUV, more like a tall, sporty wagon. It has no off road abilities.

The SRX competes with the X5, FX45, and XC90. The GX470 is more with the Touareg and ML500, maybe even Range Rover.
  • smittywallsmittywall Member Posts: 6
    The GX470 is based off of the 4Runner which may be badged as the Prado overseas. The SRX is not a true competitor to the GX but the Envoy Denali would be. The GX has 500 more lbs of towing capacity but the Envoy Denali has more horsepower, torque and gets better fuel economy than the GX.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    While I am sure that Lexus makes some good vehicles I know more than one person lured by Lexus "quality" who purchased one of these GXes but regretted it due to front end vibrations and other problems that could not be corrected. I am a Land Rover enthusiast who has owned 5 of them since 1997 including two Discoveries, one LR-3, a Defender 90 and a '73 North American Spec Series III (looks like a Defender). Love those Land Rovers, which unlike Lexus, are not known for quality. Maybe we've been lucky. Of course, every brand has its problems now and then.
    My wife and/or I have owned almost every brand of European car including aforesaid LRs, Mercedes Benz (2), BMW (3), VW (3), Volvo (1), Audi (3) Saab (12) and Porsche (2). I admit that I am a picky, fickle owner, but an enthusiast, too. Point is, we leased our first American car, an 04 Tahoe, in 11/03 because it offered room, comfort, a built in DVD for our youngster, AWD and robust features to drive over the streets of Newark, New Jersey where I work without complaint while delivering 17-19 MPG. Everybody drives them and we figured something must be right about that. And it since has racked up 54,000 trouble free miles.
    My wife and I were so impressed with the apparent quality of the 07 Tahoe, we've ordered one of those to replace the 04. It was hard to turn down with a $1500 certificate from GM and the pull ahead program. The replacement is an LT-3 which is pretty loaded. Dealer sold it 1K over tissue, just over 43K. I don't think that is a bad number given what equipment it has and believe that GM is right on the number. Surely it is less than or euqal to GX and many other competitors. With some luck it won't be a repeat of Cadillac's V8-6-4 debacle.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    You are not serious? First, the Prado is the "Toyota" version of the GX sold pretty much everywhere but the US. Both the 4Runner and Prado ride on the same platform er "FRAME" which the SRX and said Envoy do not have since they are unibody construction.
    As far as an Envoy comparing to any Toyota product, you gotta be kidding.
    All of this flag waving is wonderful, but it really is "US" against them (the UAW). They WILL destroy the US auto industry. As a friend of mine recently put it: "they are a parasite and GM and Ford are the host". Gettlefinger has made it clear that they are through with giving back concessions to the manufacturers. To buy a sub-par GM (or Ford) product my my mind is supporting this stone-age mentality. After supporting Ford for many years and many vehicles, I am through.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Envoy and Trailblazer are not unibody, but build on frame.
    My mistake..they are full frame.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Yes, an Envoy Denali is very comparable to a GX470 (sarcasm off...).

The Envoy is really a competitor to the 4Runner ltd. It's not really much of a luxury vehicle.

Nothing impressive about the trailblazer/envoy chassis IMHO. At least the Tahoe chassis is fairly decent to begin with (hopefully even better now) and the Yukon Denali and Escalade can function more closer to luxury vehicles. In the past they still haven't been as refined as a true luxury vehicle but beyond the LX470 there wasn't much competition there anyway.
  • rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    So I came over here looking for a discussion on the Tahoe and find numerous posts about Toyotas, Lexi and the SRX. Who cares? Take it back to those forums. Can we now discuss the Tahoe? Thank you.
    Ok, lets talk about the fact that GM did a great job improving the seats, seat travel and overall comfort for tall drivers. Then lets talk about the fact that, assuming in order to save a few bucks, they chose to use a cheap sunroof supplier. As a result, all of the work they did in making more room is lost due to a sunroof design lifted from the 1970's which takes about 2" of headroom from the roof.
    There are many "slimline" designs on the market right now, many of which are used by the Asian and Eurpoean competition. I find it amazing that there is more (real)headroom in a sunroof equipped Pathfinder than there is in a sunroof equipped Tahoe.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I just saw the '07 Tahoe in the flesh for the first time. IMHO its fantastic. Smooth looking outside, great interior, etc. etc. The LTZ I saw had a MSRP of 50K and the LT had one of 47K. You could easily knock a lot of money off the price of this LT by deleting the Navigation $2300), heated second seats for $200 (do your dogs really need heated seats?), the third seat ($850), maybe even the sunroof at $850 (how often do people really use these things?), etc.

I don't know though what the final transaction prices will be on these but I suspect that an LT will cost around 40K once all the pushing and shoving are done. Its a great looking vehicle with an interior that can't be beat.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    smoke and mirrors.. you check and see what you get with the '07 as compared with previous years... plus the fact less rebates.. same smoke and mirrors that GM et al used for their Employee prices' end of year deals... check the previous end of model year discounts at the very same time as when those Employee promos went into effect.. and if you know a Chevy dealer well enuff he'll tell you.. 'smoke and mirrors'..same-same discounts just a different marketing technique..

you said simple.. I just gave you back simplicity.. no calculator required

I just love it when someone casts a slightly negative tone on these boards and gives an honest opinion and the holier than thou diehards defend the model to the utmost... wherry wherry scary...
    The '07 LTZ Tahoe stickers at 50K. Autoweek (January 20, 06) reports that the 'Slade is due in dealerships in Februrary and will sticker 57K including freight and the Caddy exclusive 6.2 403 hp engine. This is a very narrow spread considering the higher content. Maybe it is so narrow that it will canibalize some LTZ sales (if you can get by the NBA Home boy image of the Caddy.)
  • slightboslightbo Member Posts: 15
    I agree that they are close in spread, but the LTZ is fully loaded while the Cadillac comes in base with the 57K sticker, no nav, sunroof, wheels, dvd, all the goodies etc. My husband and I recently purchased a 07 LT3 at 47K (we didn't like the 20 inch rims on the LTZ and thought them way overpriced and ugly), and we priced out a similarily equipped Cadillac, and with the same goodies it would have been around 62K. 15K difference was too much for us, especially for essentially the same car plus a little chrome and the different engine. :)
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Many would argue that it is not "essentially the same car" if it has a different engine... ;) but I agree with you, it's not worth that much extra money to me either. The 5.3 is powerful enough for most of us, and more efficient. And Cadillacs are a little too "extroverted" for my taste. The interior is what really counts, and the new Tahoe is very nice. I might go for a Yukon Denali, you still get more power and a little more unique styling, but not quite as "bling bling" as an Escalator.
    "Escalator", gee, thats a new one. But what about simply "Vulgar", the word we used to use in describing tarted up things?
    The Escalades that are currently shipping to dealers are "all up", white diamond (optional color) ones stickering at just under $67k...ouch, that even hurts to type...
    As silly as this sounds, it almost seems irresponsible to market a vehicle with 403hp (who really needs it, it is a truck afterall) , full time AWD (here in Connecticut, I put my truck in 4wd for the first time on Sunday since I took delivery of it in May of 2005) and an epa city estimate of 13mpg...All of this fueled with 91 octane...What am I missing??
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    The Esc is for the "upper teir" who don't care about costs involved. If the costs bother you, I'd suggest not looking at the high end. In our free market, the pricing will always be in the range of "What the market can bear" Usually not more and rarely less.

Currently due to the new nature of both the Tahoe and Esc, they will be priced high. Demand calls for that ability to occur. Next year, expect the rebates to come in again, and soon you'll be able to purchase a new GM SUV for the normal $10K below sticker like you've always been able to do. (that is if your a good shopper.)
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Wow Stakeout-
    I thought that the new Yukon I looked at was absolutely gorgeous! The interior was the nicest that I had ever seen on such a vehicle. (right up there with a Touareg, and nicer than anything I've seen from Japan). I loved the use of wood grain. The texture on the leather was rich. An overall elegant and functional interior.

But- there's no accounting for taste- and if you didn't like it, so be it. I won't criticize your taste, but just wanted to let you know that there are others out here who's jaws dropped at how sharp this new Yukon was.
  • rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    I sat in three different Yukons this weekend - very impressed with the new interior and dashboard. Far better than previous generation and leaves Ford with a LOT of catching up to do. Will have to wait till drive one, but everything I've read in the automotive press says GM has raised the bar above everyone else in the full-size SUV category with the '07.
  • dtamburridtamburri Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Denali and it has spent way too much time in the shop. Under 35,000 miles and replaced muffler, broken front seat, CD player, headlights had to be adjusted for visibility on mountain roads, defroster doesn't clear well, suspension had to be fixed and I suspect the muffler is going again. Currently the odometer is sticking and other gauges look like they're going. On the upside it handles amazingly well in tough ice and snow, had best ride and room in class at the time. I wouldn't consider another except that the GMC trucks have such a great rep that I may have just had a lemon. I just looked at the 07 Tahoe and loved it after considering Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Cad...anything but GMC. Has anyone else had t rouble with GMC or tried out the 07 yet?
  • snowdonsnowdon Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2003 Denali, and have had lots of silly problems, feel better after reading your post. I hate the AWD, and being out of warranty scares me.

I was also thinking abou the Yukon or Tahoe, would like to hear some 07 owners thoughts.

Michael
    I can see where AWD might concern someone. But I don't think I've heard that AWD vehicles (Denali, Volvo XC, Audi Quattro, etc.) had had any technical/maintenance problems related to AWD.
  • brjohnsonbrjohnson Member Posts: 10
    Just took our new 06' Denali in for first oil change today. While there, read through the new 07' brochure.

Towing capacity for 07' Denali version with new 6 spd tranny and 6.2L engine on non XL version is 7400lbs vs. 8100lbs for our 06'.

Non Denali versions of the 07' have tow ratings that are approx. 700lbs less than previous year.

Not sure why they would reduce these. I would have really thought the new 6 spd and 6.2L combo would have had a higher rating. Glad we scooped up our 06' when we did. Constantly getting comments on what a great looking truck it is.
    Most folks who tow more than 5000 lbs prefer to go with desiel. Much better experience and much better milage. GM knows that, so their not as concerned about tow rating. Where they've yet to do the right thing is to put that nice Isuzu designed desiel V8 in the Suburban. If they did that, then they'd be hard to beat.

I've towed 8500 lbs in my Silverado 5.3 which is rated at 10,000 lbs. It worked, but just isn't worth it. But my towing is extremely rare, as is 90% of all Tahoe owners.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I'm going to take a guess why tow ratings are down. I haven't read anything regarding the Denali, but the Tahoe gained about 500lbs which seems to be coming right off the tow rating. Which makes sense, if the GVWR is the same, added vehicle curb weight will reduce tow/hauling capacity.

AS for the XL/Suburban, I'd be shocked if they gained 900lbs and I certainly hope they haven't become that porky. Regardless I'm disappointed with the lower tow ratings in the 1/2 ton GM SUVs. The ONLY reason I have a Suburban is to tow my boat and have room for the family + friends, not something that can be accomplished with a p/u truck.

My current boat weighs between 4500-5000lbs depending on fuel level and amount of gear we bring along. This is the max I feel comfortable towing with my 5.3 powered Suburban since it struggles pulling up grades. Regardless of the 6.2 models tow rating, it will definitely do a better job with pulling power.

I guess GM will let Ford and Nissan have the lead in 1/2ton tow capacity. I'm curious to see what happens with the 3/4 ton Suburban. Lots of people have a need for a Suburban/Yukon XL to safely tow more than 5000lbs, maybe GM will try to push these people to a 3/4 ton.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    I guess if that's what one wants.. and you buy the GM hype.. so be it... beauty is in the eye of the beholder..all they did was take up room.. pretty it up to try to get the Escalade wannabes ... whatever

and for those who think the price dropped $2500 off the sticker... like I said in my previous posts.. 'smoke and mirrors'.. BTW.. the 'leather' on most cars/trucks are just 'leather seating inserts' not the entire seat...

the gap between MSRP aand Invoice just shut down on the '07 Tahoe's from about 87% to 91%... so that $2500 cloud of smoke that GM is touting is made up for the most part with a 'shorter invoice'...

if one's goal is to try and base your negotiations on Invoice ..good luck... you think you're saving but you're really not compared to previous years... plus no rebates..yet..there will be.. a standoff..a 'push' .. between last year's prices and this year's supposed bargain basement cuts..but it made good press for GM

go to Edmunds prices for the '07 Tahoe and check it out..
    Sorry, I (and probably a lot of other people) have no idea what your post means. The entire first paragraph is less than clear. Could you re-write it?
    Tyresmoker, not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that in the real world (although not certainly in the first month of a major model redo) there is a 15K spread between a Tahoe LT and a TLC in net cost, i.e., actual transaction prices. In other words, 40K to 55K. I think your figures, as you posted above, agree with mine.
    Dudes, keep it cool. :shades: There is a whole forum dedicated to domestic versus import and American loyalty. Try to keep this one on point and civil. You've all made your points, now let's just discuss the vehicle in question on its own merits.
    Yeah, good point.
  • sdronsdron Member Posts: 29
    I have been wondering lately especially with GMs problems, why is there a Chevy and a GMC brand? Wouldn't GM be better off and save money on everything, if they only had Chevy Tahoes or Chevy Silverados and not Yukons and Sierras too? I have never understood this logic. Can someone please explain?

But....since they do have both why is the Tahoe the front runner on all promotion and advertising? I have seen 2 commercials to date for the Yukon. One was on ESPN football and the other on Survivor last night, but have seen many Tahoe commercials.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I suppose the main reason for the Yukon is that it gives GM more stores selling the trucks. One disadvantage of having the two brands is that it lets Ford crow year after year that the F150 is the country's biggest selling truck. If you add Chevrolet and GMC sales together, they outsell Ford.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Too many brands is one of GMs big problems. Toyota has one minivan. They only have to engineer and market that one minivan. GM has how many minivans? 4? 5? And not one of them is any good.

Instead of engineering and marketing 4 or 5 different variations on that theme, GM should put that extra money into making that one single minivan and making it the best darn minivan there is.

I agree, that GMC should go away. Chevy trucks covers that market just fine. Instead of spending the money to design, build and market two different front-end clips for the Tahoe/Tahoe XL, they should have taken that same money and engineered a better-riding, better-handling independent rear suspension.

Buick may be salvageable with a much reduced product line. Pontiac should be killed -- move the Solstice to Chevy and shoot the rest. Saturn can (and apparently will be) moved upmarket to try to compete against Acura. That may actually work if they stop building dreck. Cadillac seems to be turning the corner.
  • smittywallsmittywall Member Posts: 6
    Independent rear suspensions (IRS) combined with fold flat seats (to please those who really want a minivan) hurt a trucks ride by reducing the available wheel travel. The '06 Tahoe already had the best ride of the 4 full size SUVs and the '07 Yukon I test drove last weekend was even better. The Expedition and Armada both with IRS, ride like bricks.
    Amen! You just can't justify the "I want more features" argument until you drive and ride in the new Tahoe. It's new ride is an eye opener to me on how different it is. And, I've owned 4 Chevy trucks previously, which I thought rode better than it's competition already.

I test drove a Ford, Dodge and Chevy truck when I bought my first truck. I drove all 3 down a brick road in the town where I lived. The Chevy was the only one that didn't "jar my teeth". That was 15 years ago. All 3 have improved dramatically over the years. I was amazed at the improvement this time around.
  • mjansen1mjansen1 Member Posts: 46
    Could someone please refer me to a forum where they are actually talking about the new 2007 Tahoe?
    I read one review of the new Tahoe which said that both the Caddy and GMC had more "soft touch" plastics inside. Different grades of leather and wood trim, too, I think. Also, the Chevy and GMC are more unique looking now than they ever have been. I kind of like my GMC Yukon XL being at least a litle bit different compared to the eight million Suburbans cruising around Texas. And the 2007s are even more distinct.

However, I actually call mine a "Suburban" sometimes when talking to other people. I don't know if most people out there really know what a "Yukon XL" is, and the name Suburban has so much instant recognizability even among lay people. I called mine a Suburban the other day just so my coworkers would know what I'm talking about and what kind of car to look for when I pick them up at the airport.

Interestly, my GMC was a couple of hundred dollars less expensive than a comparably equipped Suburban. It has something to do with the way they package the options. So I get to drive what is supposedly the more upscale version, for slightly less money. Go figure.

Evidently the marketing message needs some work, but overall, I think the platform sharing, or badge engineering, whatever you call it, is a good idea as long as they continue to diverge stylistically and content-wise.
  • bigjohn101bigjohn101 Member Posts: 19
    I'm trying to buy a 2007 4X4 LT-3 Tahoe .... It has been on order since early Jan. .... It will replace a 2000 4X4 Tahoe with mostly trouble free 91K miles!
  • neo4evaneo4eva Member Posts: 1
    I just did.The car is so much better tah the model it replaced and it drives well to.Why is it taking so long for the delivery of yours.Becuase for me I bought mine the same day I deciced to get one.ANd I live i Texas too.
    "There are trucks with well engineered IRS that have plenty of wheel travel -- Hummer H1, Range Rover, LR3, etc."

All of which cost much much more than the Tahoe.

IRS reduces wheel travel, size of suspension components, screws up placement of gas tank, and a whole slew of other problems. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to realize that IRS will reduce other features. If you want IRS so much, go buy a minivan.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Motorweek reviewed the new Tahoe today and said it might the vehicle that saves the company. Kinda bold statement, but nonetheless they loved the design. The liked the new exterior and loved the new interior saying it was a major step in the right direction for GM. One thing they really liked was the turning radius, they said it was nothing short of amazing for a vehicle its size. Anyone try this?

hey BIGJON101...Did you order yours so you could get exactly what you wanted? Or did the dealer not have any in stock? just curious, because the dealers around me seem to have at least 8 or 9 in stock, each.
    Let us know how you like it when you get it!
    Yes... LT-3 & 4X4 & Color was a must (Silver) .. Plus.. Rear power liftgate .. Heated washer fluid .. Locking differential .. Rainsence wipers .. and NO sunroof - You do lose about 2 inches of headroom.
    The 2007 Tahoe turning radius is about the same as the older body style (2000 to 2006).... I went from a full size Ford Supercab 4X4 (8 ft. box) with a 155 inch wheelbase with NO turning radius, to a 2000 Tahoe that could turn in a tight circle ... That is amazing!!
    Nice find cmyers300m. For those who'd like to read it, here's the link:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2524b.shtml

They give the ride a lot of cudos, like most people here. I just don't think you've evaluated the Tahoe until you drive it. And, drive it more than just around the block. I've test driven one for about 1 hour, over any type of road I could find, and was amazed at the new ride abilities.

They also re-itterated the reason for no fold down rear seat. Loss of room. The Tahoe is a shorter vehicle that most competitors (check wheel base.) Chevy states the Suburban is why, if you need more room, get that. So, to get the most room, no fold in floor seats. Great move I think. I'm still debating on getting the 3rd seat for myself. Probably will, though it will spend most of it's life in the garage.

Thanks cmyers300m!
    Wonder why it shows the old style pics on the motorweek write-up?
  • mdtsangmdtsang Member Posts: 2
    Howdy all, i ordered mine black on black LT2 2 rows back on jan 20. They originally said 4-6 weeks but they told me that it was just put into assembly last week so i dunno how much longer it will take, im getting a bit antsy. My dad has a 99 gen 1, my sister a 02 gen 2, and now me and 07 gen 3 that will soon be here and own theirs. Its really impressive to see how far its gone from the 99 model til now. Even though the interior is a lil bit fake luxury, i still greatly appreciate their effort to make the inside aesthetically pleasing. Rock on and order yours!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, I just went back and removed about 30 posts that were way off-topic and/or personally-directed. This discussion has nothing to do with domestic vs. foreign, Toyota, unions, or GM in general.

Please stick to the 07 Tahoe/Yukon. Our News & Views board is full of more general discussions, but this one is about a specific vehicle. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Mossy Chevrolet in San Diego (Encinitas) has an ad in todays S.D Union, advertising $3k off on 2007 Tahoes.

Wow, that didn't take long. Did it?
    $3K off sticker should be just about the invoice price on some of the models. It's a norm to pay invoice for full size trucks. That leaves room for the 3%+ kick back for profit for them. Now, we just wait for the rebates to start up again.
  • plutz1plutz1 Member Posts: 4
    $3000 off is no great deal. One dealer I dealt with in Rochester NY went to the employee discount pricing at the start of our negotiations. GM has yet to offer financing discounts but I suspect it will soon-at least that is what the dealers I have talked to are suggesting.
This discussion has been closed.