Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Towing

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    "There must be a good difference since one can tow 1500 lbs and the other 1500 kgs."

The only difference I know of is that the Euro spec has a 2.0 liter engine instead of our 2.4 liter engine here in the US.

The Euro spec CR-V is also limited to 1500 lbs, if the trailer does not have it's own brakes. This leads me to believe the US spec could also tow more if the trailer had brakes. I suspect we are dealing with some kind of legal issue here that is causing the company to be very conservative in their ratings.
  • I would like to buy a Honda CRV to drive about 120 miles between my home and a lake cottage. Once there I have a pontoon boat and the combined weight of boat, motor and trailer is 2200 lbs. The round trip down to the marina and back to the cottage is 4 miles. There is one moderate incline hill about 200 feet long. Would this create any damage to engine or tranny?
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    It is doubtful, exceeding by even double the stated weight limits, would do "damage" so long as it is only occasionally, and for distances that short, IMO.
  • I used a dirt bike stand called MX Tailmate on my Nissan PathFinder. Is there any chance this stand will work with the CRV?

http://www.mxtailmate.com/

The local dealer says the maximum capacity on the hitch sold by Honda is 1500 lbs for towing a trailer but only 220 lbs for a dirt bike stand+ bike. My bike is almost 250lbs. Are there any after market options for hitch that can help me carry my bike on my CRV without a trailer (using the MXTailmate stand).
  • rtedrted Posts: 11
    Hey, certified sales rep,

Perhaps you can answer this question. I asked my local service dept. if my adding a good brand name trans cooler such as B&M to my 2005 "V" would affect the car warranty. He said yes, it would void the transmission warranty because it's not their cooler and that I should have picked up their tow package. Near as I can figure, the CR-V didn't have a package available, except for a hitch alone. So, are they saying that a cooler (that the industry knows will prolong a transmissions' life, and that THEY offer for the Odessy and Pilot, etc) is a bad idea??

I was also told the same about my hitch, that being as I added a hitch (non-honda) without the tow package, then whatever I do in a cooler is moot since I've already rendered the trans. warranty void by putting the hitch on it.

Again, what package, and what does it come with? I don't think I'm any more inclined to keep a load under 1,499 lbs if I use a Honda hitch than I am if I use a Hidden-Hitch product. And I'd love to know if and why a warranty would be void if I stay within the tow limit of the vehicle as stated in my manual, which does NOT say anything about that limit being subject to or predicated by a special cooling package.

Thanks for anything you might have to offer on this as I'll appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

Regards,

Ted
    re: dirt bike stand on a CRV by vamsee Nov 14, 2006

I can see them asking you to keep the tongue weight of a motorcycle carrier under 220#. Especially when that weight's not just trailer tongue weight on a hitch ball that's a foot out from the unibody's closest mount point.

The 220 lbs they're worried about on that carrier referenced, is centered on a lever that's about a yard away from the mount point.

Picture taking a 2" square tube that's about that long and run it from the hitch receiver straight back, and put 220 lbs on it. Bounce it up and down a lot for a half hour & look at the places where the hitch bolts in place. I bet you'll want to discontinue that exercise afterwards.

The CR-V's not the small-truck frame that a Nissan Pathfinder is (meaning no disrespect towards the question or towards the Honda Co). It may be the equivalent of a Civic hatchback on steroids, but still a Civic chassis with Civic stamped sheet-metal limitations. It's a great car for what it's made for.

-ted
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    "I just got off the phone with American Honda Customer Service. I asked what the difference is between the American & European CRVs and nobody there knew the answer, worse they said there is no one I can call to get an answer. There must be a good difference since one can tow 1500 lbs and the other 1500 kgs."

We have more lawyers here. The tow ratings for the *same car* are often 1/4 to 1/2 of what they are for European models.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Just a change of engine coolant and transmission fluid will keep your crv cooler than it would otherwise be.
  • There will soon be a plug and play trailer wiring harness from Draw-Tite to work with my Curt hitch.

http://www.draw-tite.com/fitguides/details.asp?ProdID=118427&dlr=0
  • baba6baba6 Posts: 1
    Can an all wheel drive be towed flat behind a motorhome? We presently tow a Civic Hybrid without a problem but don't know about a all wheel drive. Anybody know?
  • I own a landscaping company and I'm planning on buying an enclosed trailer next week to keep my equipment safe. I'm currently driving a 1998 CRV. The trailer weighs in at 1,210 lbs. with additional weight from my equipment, which is in or around 600lbs. Am I going to have problems with this?
    Yes, you will have problems. The first-generation CR-V is rated 1,000 pounds tow weight, which in any venue means the trailer and the load that's in it.

Some vehicles are rated to mean that their "tow weight" means trailer, stuff in it, and any guests + baggage inside the car as well. In any case, you're over the Honda design weight for that car just with the trailer alone.

Another good forum for you to visit is www.hondasuv.com

Hope another solution can be found for your needs.
    Make sure oil,transmission fluid and coolant are fresh and topped up. Change atf every 25,000 max. I think you are pushing the limit a little too far. Just my .02.
    Yes, if you're asking about the CR-V specifically. In fact, the RT-AWD MUST be towed flat, all four wheels on the ground [or all wheels off the ground on a flatbed]. Failure to heed this warning will cause the hydraulically-activated all wheel mechanism to engage (one axle spinning faster than the other = engagement) and you'll tear it up permanently.

Now for proper RV-towing, all wheels on the ground, there's an important sequence to follow with putting the transmission (automatic that is) into neutral, after which you can tow for a couple hundred miles at a time before repeating the sequence that leaves critical parts lubricated for a while.

The sequence is (1) start engine, (2) shift to Drive and let sit for a minute or so, (3) shift direct to Neutral and leave it there, (4) turn off engine. Now that's from memory and I don't tow my car; follow instructions in the manual carefully.

I don't know of any provisions necessary to pull the standard shift model.
    Except for Oil, every 5K for most people (that's for "severe" service, which is said to include freezing weather, short trips, hot weather - what's that leave?)
  • robo_geekrobo_geek Posts: 20
    on my 02 CR-V I installed a CURT class 2.5 hitch.

It has a 2" receiver, and bolted on with no drilling.

I did this for a bike rack that needed a 2" receiver.

http://www.curtmfg.com/
  • robo_geekrobo_geek Posts: 20
    www.Curtmfg.com Class 2.5, 2" receiver. Was able to fit Thule 964 'Revolver' folding bike rack that holds four bikes.

Honda factory hitch receiver is too small for big bike racks, plus you gotta drill to install it, and remove half the interior panels to do it.

Curt hitch installed in 20 minutes, no drilling, no need to take interior panels off. Has very nice epoxy finish. I did not install honda wiring kit, since I don't need it at this time.

400lb tongue weight, 4000lb gtw (don't tow this much with your CR-V unless you have a death wish!!)
  • mikezzzmikezzz Posts: 2
    I have an 07 crv and would like to carry 4 bikes. No hitch yet and I looking at that Curtmfg class 2.5. Honda only recommends a class one hitch. Would this 2.5 do any damage to attachement points if only holding a bike rack and 4 bikes?

Thanks,

Mikus
  • sgrigorysgrigory Posts: 17
    I went to www.Curtmfg.com and it has great info.

But, how/where do you buy things from them? They don't seem to sell online and I didn't see a dealer list either.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Posts: 364
    You can get the Curt hitch from etrailer.com. I'm sure there are other places out there, as well.
  • Hello everyone! I am looking to get rid of my Nissan Frontier S/C and looking at a smaller SUV for better gas mileage. The catch is, I need to be able to pull a 5x10 trailer with a mower. Would the '04 CRV be able to handle pulling a trailer and mower? I am also looking at a few other smaller SUV's in that price range (13,000-18,000) and I'm finding that a Ford Escape XLT 4WD has about twice the towing capacity! I was surprised to hear that. Is it possible to get a 2-inch reciever hitch for the Escape?

Options:
    Honda CRV
    Toyota Highlander
    Ford Escape

Anybody have any advice you'd like to share? It is very much appreciated. I do want something around (or higher than) 20mpg. Thanks!
    Wait 18 mos and get a Honda CRV diesel.30 city 40 hwy. If you can't wait, get the CRV. It has a better resale value.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    Hello everyone! I am looking to get rid of my Nissan Frontier S/C and looking at a smaller SUV for better gas mileage. The catch is, I need to be able to pull a 5x10 trailer with a mower. Would the '04 CRV be able to handle pulling a trailer and mower? I am also looking at a few other smaller SUV's in that price range (13,000-18,000) and I'm finding that a Ford Escape XLT 4WD has about twice the towing capacity! I was surprised to hear that. Is it possible to get a 2-inch reciever hitch for the Escape?

Options:
    Honda CRV
    Toyota Highlander
    Ford Escape

Anybody have any advice you'd like to share? It is very much appreciated. I do want something around (or higher than) 20mpg. Thanks!

Isn't Frontier V6 powered? If you are looking for fuel economy, then you need to look at 4 cylinder powered vehicle, which have limited towing ability.

If you tow your trailer and mower as a business on a daily basis, you are probably better off keeping the Frontier. It is a small truck after all. It should be getting 18-22 mpg or what not. CR-V is not that much better (22-30), and will be just as bad if you tow, plus you lose the pick up bed.

You can get 30 mpg in a Manual CR-V if you drive at the speed limit. There is a spacer for the 6th gear, when replaced with TSX/RSX-S/Civic Si 6th gear, it pushes CR-V into 30+ mpg hwy category.

Generally, if you are replacing a vehicle solely to save on gas, the fuel economy has to be significantly greater than the depriciation hit. Let's say one goes from a H2 Hummer that gets 10 mpg to a Civic Hybrid that get 50 mpg, then it may make sence, and only if they drive significant miles per year. Otherwise, it is more financially sound to keep the vehicle you have, and maybe change driving patterns and habits. Coasting in neutral, accelerate slowly, combining trips into one, driving at times when congestion is low, driving at the speed limit, keeping the vehicle in tip top shape (tune ups, filters, fluids), getting rid of unneccessary weight (junk in the car, excessive body fat), inflating tires to higher than VEHICLE MANUFACTURER's recommended, but staying within the tire max pressure.
  • If someone has this hitch (Part 13555 on etrailer.com), could you please post a photo of the finished install or email me through this forum. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
    I have part # 24772 installed and it's great. A lot less dead weight on the back end of your car - almost half - for the 50 weeks of the year you aren't pulling a trailer.

It'll tow 2,000 lbs which means that with a CR-V tow rating of 1,500 lbs, it's fully capable of holding anything that your car can pull (since the car's limit is the deciding load factor). There's no reason for you to pay for a Class III hitch for a car that can barely handle a Class I load. It's your money.

Take the price savings and consider a trans cooler, too.
  • Can you post a picture? I need a 2" receiver so I can share my bike rack with our other truck. Most if no all of the class I hitches are 1.25".

If anyone else has PICs of their install of an after market hitch, please post... Thanks!
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    I attached a slighty different curt 2" hitch but it was fairly straight forward. E-mail me and I'll shoot you pictures as I can't get them attach here.
    I'm afraid the Hidden Hitch model I referenced is 1.25". I guess the ones with 2" tend to be Class II or above by default, not that the vehicle in question will benefit from the "Class II" rating of the hitch.

People on hondasuv.com tout the wonderful Curt hitch because among other things it bolts on the unibody "frame" on the sides of the hiddeen spare-tire well and also utilizes the center tow hook for stability. Well, so does the H.H. at half the weight.

But if you have to have a 2" receiver, then that's what you need above all else. Best of luck getting somthing that serves the need. For my part, I found a bike carrier that hangs off the back-door spare tire just fine and carries two cycles. Under $100.
  • I did a search for hitches and found 1 company that sold a Curt model. You have to buy from a dealer. I ended up with a Class 3 bolt on Draw Tite with a 2 in. receiver. I have the type of bike rack that the wheels set in hoops. It is a 2 bike model Xport. The heat from the muffler(even though it is raised) could melt the tire on the bike closest to the car.