Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• Options
    johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    GOOD IDEA>
    I have run on RFs for 3 years on a 2006 330i with Sport Package.
    First set of tires were "BALD" all round at 24,000. Replaced with same RFs. Now have 39,000 and are showing too much wear. I am 66 year of age. Do not beat up my tires !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have carried spare, tools, and etectric jack since first replacement. Have not had to use "yet" but love the security of the "donut" spare. In any case, my size RFTs are a day's freight away in Portland Oregon. I don't want to be stranded with tire dealer after tire dealer saying "Sorry. Don't carry that size".
  • Options
    navlax78navlax78 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 BMW 330i which is equipped with Bridgestone RFT. I too, like many people participating in this forum, have experienced the same annoying and frustrating performance of the RFT's. Within the next several weeks I plan to switch over to regular tires. My dillema is deciding on the best option for addressing the "spare" requirement.

Over the past several weeks I have read many of the recommendations provided in this forum. I thought buying a portable compressor and slime kit ($ 32 at Walmart) in lieu of putting a full size spare tire or donut in the truck was the best opition for me. I did pursue purchasing a 17" wheel (used) as well as contacting my local BMW dealer (with the BM #'s that were provided in earlier threads) for a donut, jack, etc. Both of these options proved to be too time consuming and difficult to continue to pursue . The BMW dealer was of little to no help.

Just as I was settling in on my preferred option a COSTCO tire mech informed me that if I used the slime it would damage the tire pressure sensor and that I would have to replace it (cost: approximately $ 50- 60). Until replaced the warning indicator in the cockpit would constant display the malfunction (an undesired situation).

Has anyone experienced or heard if slime affects this sensor? Are there any other recommendation you may have that I should consider? The RFT's have got to go. BMW has really comprimised their product's performance with these types of tires. Any help is sincerely appreciated.
  • Options
    akeyesakeyes Member Posts: 7
    All, I have been reading these posts and am definitley concerned, Im about to sign a deal on a 09 328i xdrive Coup and the salesman said to purchase the Wheel and Tire Warranty due to the Run Flat tires. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Should I reconsider this car because of these tires? Their the Conti's.

Thanks in advance,
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Should I reconsider this car because of these tires?

I reconsidered.

I didn't order the BMW I had wanted for a number of years, partly because of these GD tires. I'm driving a different car now, with real tires, a spare and (BTW) a dipstick.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    dohrmcdohrmc Member Posts: 14
    What did you get? I too am not about to buy a BMW until they get this sorted out. The runflat tires are a deal breaker for me. In the meantime, I will continue driving my trusty old Saab. I have had it 11 years and it is one of the best cars I have ever owned.
  • Options
    beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    I know how you feel as far as the frustration-I ended up getting a spare and a jack for it and when the run flats wear out I will change them out-I am not crazy about having my trunk filled up with a spare and jack though. If you are interested in the spare and jack look at the email from larry175 with the part numbers for it. Good luck what ever way you go.
  • Options
    Hi cdnpinhead..Is cdn for Canadian?
    Born and raised in Winnipeg. Lived in Edmonton, Cambridge Bay, Vancouver, Richmond, and Nanaimo. Now in Springfield, Oregon the land of crazy medical premiums. My Canada Pension goes each month to pay the monthly premium.
    Anyway..............BMWs.I hope that you told the BMW dealer and BMW Canada (or BME North America if my guess on Canadian is wrong) EXACTLY how you feel. In writing would be better. I have gone through 1 set of RFTs on my 2006 330i and the second is coming up soon. (39,000 miles).

All these people who merely complain and do not put BMW on notification are of little to no good in the case for non RFTs. I love the car as I have all other BMWs I have owned......BUT!
  • Options
    larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    Make a deal for a new BMW to be delivered with a different brand of RFTs or as soon as you pick up the car spend $500.+/- for a new set of non RFTs and put the original tires away to be remounted when selling the car or ending the lease.
  • Options
    What did you get?

A bit over a year ago I went with an Acura TSX, which was available with a manual transmission, fold-down rear seats & the aforementioned real tires, with a space to store a spare. The TSX is the same as the Acura Honda sells everywhere in the world outside NA, and it suits me well. However, they changed it for 2009, and I don't like the new ones as well.

I really wanted RWD, but couldn't get the combination I wanted, so broke my rule & started looking at FWD. It came down to the TSX & the Audi A3, but I generally keep my cars a long time & was a little leery of Audi's reliability reputation.

Continued good luck with the Saab.
  • Options
    Is cdn for Canadian?

Indeed it is. I lived in Edmonton a number of years & travelled to the four western provinces on business. Ended up moving to Vancouver (Richmond, really, then N. Van) and really enjoyed it -- should have never left. For a variety of reasons, I'm stuck in the desert now.

I hope that you told the BMW dealer and BMW Canada (or BME North America if my guess on Canadian is wrong) EXACTLY how you feel.

I've been contemplating complaining formally, but I've come to the conclusion that BMW currently doesn't care a whit for the enthusiast market. They did once, which is where the reputation came from, but they've learned that there's much more money to be made selling (or more likely leasing) to poseurs. I still get Roundel & it had a boatload of complaints about the RFTs when they were first fitted, so I'm not sure how much more I'd have to add. It is interesting to see how many of the regulars & columnists prefer the older cars. The upshot is that if you want a real BMW, get a used one, at which time the RFT issue goes away, as do many others.

Too bad Vancouver didn't get farther into the Cup playoffs.
  • Options
    Thanks Larry. Good idea however then i also need a spare. Sounds like a bit of trouble to go through as well as an expense. I can purchase the tire, wheel package warranty that covers everyhting accept wear for 3 years. Cost is $799. Really like the car but these posts are a bit scary about these tires! I am sure if I buy it, next year BMW will take them off the cars!
  • Options
    jagostjagost Member Posts: 13
    I just brought a 2009 3-series coupe BMW, and the deal breaker could have been the run flat tires, but I continue the deal anyway after 20-minutes of thinking. After reading these post..... I do not know what to think about them. I'm 50-year old and have had flat and my wife has had flats. The first thing we do is look for a safe spot to change the tire. depending on where you are at, this could take 50 to 300 yardsof traveling to get off a busy road or looking for a level spot. By the time you reach a safe place to replace your regular tire, it is damaged, and normal protocol is to replace both tires so that they can ware even. I agree, run flat tires could about 75-dollars more, but no time is wasted changing the tire, and they could maybe be plugged. This post has opened my eyes, but I still think it is a good deal.
  • Options
    Jagost

I am just about ready to close the deal on a a similar car 09 328xi coupe with the RFT. Did you buy the optional tire maintainence package ($799 for 3 years). THis seems to be logical however for a few dollars more I can lease a 528xi with simialr equipment and regular tires. How do you like the car?
  • Options
    TO JAGOST

I am a 66 year old that loves the car but real iffy on RFTs. I am running them on a 2006 330i. The first set was worn out at 24,000 miles of 70% city and 30% highway. I am on the 2nd set with now 39,000 miles and have about 1/3 tread left. No flats nor blowouts. I carry a "donut" spare, power kack, and tools just in case. Yes the spare does take up trunk room, but I have lived with that for 39,000 miles and still constantly feel that I have enough room left for trip packing. My wife did up a wonderful tire cover that matches the trunk material perfectly. The car has ALL options including the Sport Package, so when it comes time to change tires, (back tires being larger tham the front) money starts passing in wads.
    One thing to keep in mind when running RFTs, is that they ARE NOT AVAILABLE in all areas. I live in Springfield/Eugene Oregon. The rear tires (when I need them) are a day away in Portland! Sad if you are in an outlying area for a weekend drive and find that you have to get hold of a RFT now! Yes you have a certain number of miles on the RFT (they say 50, but I am sure you can get more). But what is 50 miles when in the western mountain region?
    I like the comfort of the "donut" in the trunk. Like you, I grew up replacing flat tires (as I did checking the dip stick......what happened to that?)
    As I say I have now run 39,000 miles with no flats. So why carry a "donut tire"?
    I FEEL SAFER. :mad:
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I guess I feel just like you. I'm not comfortable with it, but I just traded my MB Sl500, and what a pain in the butt that was. By the way, I do not want to miss-lead anyone, I double check the pieces of the tires at tirerack.com and they cost about 200 dollars more then normal tires. I have read that Bridgestone is coming up with a new run flat tire in 2009, it is their third generation tire. Read the following link http://www.bridgestone.com/corporate/news/2009030301.html

I think that with time, the technology will get better and prices will come down. These run flat tires have been around since the 80s and 90s, and It appears that is the way car makers are headed to help make a greener world (by-the-way, I do not care, I'm not political). This will reduce the weight of the car, and no one will need a spare tire so the petroleum that goes into making a spare will be saved to make other things. Finally, I had a 2006 Lexus IS, and Lexus make you sign a paper stating that you were warned that the tread life on them is only 14,000 miles. I replaced mine at 18,000 miles.
  • Options
    ya know guys, it doesn't make a hill of bean difference, run flats or non run flats, The problem is with the tires. They are noisy, drive hard and wear fast. If you don't care, keep the rft's. If it bothers you buy a jack and donut or jack and full size spare. This 68 yo geezer has a 09 335xi and the tires are starting to get noisy at 8000 miles and I think the dealer is dragging his feet regarding replacement tires. But my wife wants a 3.28 sedan so we will see if they want her business. If your tires are riding hard and getting noisy don't let to much time go by. They will prorate. I don't hot rod so my tires are wearing o.k.
    good luck to all
  • Options
    I just join this post today because I just brought a 2009 BMW and read all the post on RFT. It is ashamed that all website links that are suppose to help buyers with the purchase of cars such as msn.com, yahoo.com and even Edmunds.com all have great thing to say about the BMW drive and feel. But not once do they ever write about the run flat tires perceive problem in the review section by the pros or the customers who brought the car??? And that there is no choice but to buy the BMW 3-series with RTF or do not buy a 3-series at all. It just shows that all these websites are in bad with the car companies.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If that were so, why would you be getting all this info on RFTs from Edmunds?

The customers who bought the car ARE reviewing RFTs, right here. You won't see straight-ahead forums like this at those other sites.

Visiting Host, not in bed with anyone at the moment :P
  • Options
    checkout this Edmunds link: http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3series/2009/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cveh- icledata%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Enf12%7C%7C424d57

The Editor rating is 8.4, customer rating is 9.3, and not one tire complaint. Most customer will only go here. I found this Edmund forum probably the same way other did, I google it, and read all the links. Edmund does good work, better than other sites, but this info is not part of the the main "Edmunds.com where smart buyers Start" page. Does that page have a link to the forum? No. This information is mostly read after the fact. When the deal is closed.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I understand your position but one must consider a) that the tire issues will not appear in a single road test by an editor b) that only a small percentage of buyers dislike the RFTs (but those that do, REALLY don't like them) and c) that our editors have commented on RFTs:

"It's not all bouquets, though. Despite adopting new fourth-generation run-flat tires with an altered sidewall design aimed at providing greater compliance, the 3 Series continues to suffer from an overly firm ride. At highway speeds it is reasonably comfortable, but at lower speeds around town it can become quite harsh when attempting to deal with broken sections of asphalt."

(From First Drive Road Test READ IT HERE

Given the hammering BMW has gotten from us about iDrive and Bangle styling, if we are in bed with anyone, this is definitely a lover's quarrel.
  • Options
    thenewbmwguythenewbmwguy Member Posts: 2
    Beamer44
    I see you got the spare. Does it fit in the trunk with the top down? If so will go for the 328ic. Looked at the new Lexus is350c and infinity but BMW is what we really want if I can make the spare work with top down.

thanks again
  • Options
    ron325ron325 Member Posts: 2
    I need to replace the RFT on my 2006 3 Series. Has anyone had success with other RFT's? If not, what type of tire do you recommend?
  • Options
    beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    I get the car Wednesday- I was told by the mechanic that it would fit-we'll see
  • Options
    mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Bought an 06 330xi6M in Dec05 with sports package, RFTs were standard issue. For some reason, I have identical 225-45-17s on both front and back axles, but the tire websites I visit indicate that there is supposed to be uneven sizes for the front and the back.

Anyway, my wife and I both hate the RFT's because the ride is jarry, and when you hit uneven surfaces, including potholes, you feel like the wheels (not only the tires) hit a hard, blunt object. The tires were also noisy, but that is a minor point for me.

Forward to last Friday, 5/22, late evening. I was driving along Route 17N around Goshen, NY to our place in the Poconos when I hit a series of potholes in the middle of nowhere. Bam, bam, bam. I felt like the right front wheel hit the pavement. The flat tire indicator quickly popped up, indicating sudden loss of pressure. I also noted a change in the handling, so I'm sure it was a serious situation. The flat tire warning indicated that the car can still be driven but speed should not exceed 50 miles. As I had no spare, and with the assurance that the car could be driven despite the flat tire situation, I continued on my way (65 - 70 miles away) at 50 mph. Gingerly is a word I would use.

Had no chance to check the tire until the following morning. When I looked, the tire was ripped vertically about 2 inches on the side, at the lip of the wheel. Most tire places were closed for the long holiday week-end, and I assumed that even if they were open, they will not have my RFT anyway, so I decided to take a calculated risk and drive back early Sunday morning to NYC, 150 miles away, at 50 mph. The day before, I had a chance to assess the situation and found that except for the uneven pull on the steering wheel, the handling was fine.

With my AAA card ready and a short prayer, I drove to NYC and reached home without any incident. Traffic was light along the way because of the holiday. When I looked at the tire again, another rip had resulted, about two inches away. Just the same, the tire was holding well.

Moral of this story, the RFT system works very well when you need it, but it comes with some disadvantages, both actual and imagined. In short, it's not going to please everyone.

Now, I'm looking for that second or later generation of RFTs for my bimmer. It looks like they come with less ride harshness. If I can't find one, I'll switch to ordinary (non-RFT) tires and a spare.

Your thoughts?
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The Sport Package for the 2006 330xi was cosmetic only and did not include the upgraded suspension or upgraded tires. Said another way, the tires that came on your car are the same as the base 330i.
  • Options
    heypogiheypogi Member Posts: 5
    where is a good place to buy the jack and donut?
  • Options
    1.) If you have a HARBOR FRIGHT TOOLS in your area, that is a GREAT place for the jack. I bought a power jack (plugs into lighter) that comes in a great carrying case for $39.00. Works perfectly and takes up very little room in your truck. If you wait for them, coupons for 20% off are out every 2 weeks. If you have no HFT's, and depending on where you live, it may be advantageous to have me buy you one and ship it.

2.) NEW donuts are a dime a dozen at wrecking yards. Just make sure you know your size.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I JUST WENT HFT's WEB SITE AND THE PRICE IS NOW $59.99 (must be a good seller since i bought mine 2 years ago) SO WITH 20% OFF = $47.99 BUT SHIPPING WOULD TAKE IT BACK UP TO THE FULL PRICE OR MORE. MAYBE YOU HAVE A HFTS IN YOUR AREA.

witchjohn@aol.com
  • Options
    ron325ron325 Member Posts: 2
    You must also make certain of the bolt pattern matching the hub on your car.

What tire seems to be the replacement tire of choice for the 3 series???
  • Options
    wheel specs:
    BMW oem type 159
    bolt pattern 5x120mm
    center hole 72x66mm
    offset 47mm
    size 17x8 et34
    tire size 225/45 r17

donut has to have bolt, center hole size and offset as above.
    hope this helps.
  • Options
    heypogiheypogi Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info..larry175 and johnsam too..
    Have a 09 328 sports pkg..getting ready when the time comes.

Again, good stuff guys!
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Drove 100 mile as at 65 mph with zero pressue in an RFT-clad '06 330xi. It was mid-night and my destination was Chester, NY, just around where you hit those pot holes!

17N is a disaster up there!

Anyway, the RFT's worked. The set I had were with the bad rubber compound and it cost $250 for the new tire since the RFT's were new.

At 12K miles, I switched to the Conti SSR A/S. Great tire compared to the OLD B/S.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    That's the set I'm getting, actually. They're not cheap but so far, my research indicates that it's the best for RFT technology. Drive carefully, everyone with RFT's. Mario
  • Options
    longjonsrlongjonsr Member Posts: 1
    I find it interesting that the servicing BMW dealer and the local Big "O" Tire where I also purchase RFTs for my 330i, act like there are no issues with the tires and it is our fault that they only last 10-15K. I suppose that if you own a BMW they also think you have lots of money to throw around. I prefer to keep mine for other things than buying tires, especially bad ones. At 63 I have owned a number of vehicles including other BMWs. I also drive like an adult. I have NEVER experienced this type of treatment and poor quality from a tire. I expect more when paying $375 each. Once again I am faced with replacing all four tires on our 330i with less than 15K on them, which will cost about $1,400.00. Not bad... only about 10+ cents per mile for tires. Add that to your cost of ownership. The noise makes it difficult to have conversation or even listen to music. By the way I keep a tire gauge in the console and know how to use it. My suggestion to anyone reading this is that if your new vehicle has to have RTFs when you purchase it. DO NOT BUY IT. Rest assured I will not repeat the same mistake again. Good Luck, Jon
  • Options
    I agreed with you 100 percent Longionsr. I have owned three BMW, SL500, Honda, and Lexus. This will be my last BMW, and my last RFT. After spending 45K on their car, BMW makes you feel like it is a privilege to buy their car. I'm not going to help them keep their dealers nor plants working. BMW customer service is gone these days. I hope you get the third generation Bridgestone tires, they are suppose to be much better.
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Having read these posts, I am crossing anything (not just BMWs) with RFTs off my list for my next vehicle. I am not about to pay $30K or $40K (or more) for a car that either 1) needs new tires to the tune of $1500 every 10 or 15 thousand miles, or 2) I would have to lay out another 2 or 3 thousand dollars to replace the rims and tires with regular RFs - I'm just not!
  • Options
    Hi ars_49
    2006 330i with all options including Sports Package.
    I went through 1st set of RFTs at 25,000 miles. Installed second set and now have 42,000 miles on them. (17,000 miles) Are wearing the same as first set. I am a 66 year old driver living in Springfield/Eugene Oregon. The front tires are available here but when the rears goes, I have to order from Portland. Not a desaster if the tires simply wear out. But if 1 BLOWS!!!!!!!! I am down for a day or 2. Hopefully I am not miles out of Springfield towards the Pacific Coast. If so, no tires period.
    From day 1 I have carried a spare "donut" tire plus electric jack and tools, just in case.
    Maybe RFTs of ALL SIZES are available in Catonsville, or Washington. When I ordered the car, I had "M" wheels installed which are compatable with RFTs of conventionals. I like the car so will probably switch to conventionals the next time around.
    Other than that, tried all the comparable cars in 2006 when I bought this BMW (2nd Bimmer) and have tried others since. BMW is still number 1. On another asset of BMW.......the warranty. I have owned a lot of cars since 1963 and NEVER experiences such a great warranty through the local dealer. I don;t have to bring things to their attention, they bring them to mine and repair/replace what is required.

John
  • Options
    mikethekmikethek Member Posts: 5
    Called the dealership in KC and they blew me off. They had the audacity to say that they have not had any complaints. I have a 2008 335xi with the sport package. I agree with all the posters who say that this is their last BMW and their last RFTs. I called the Customer Relations group in NJ and do not have much hope because they did make the comment that they do not have a warranty on the tires since they do not manufacture them. Never mind that they are the one who elect to put these POS tires on the car. If anyone knows of a class action suit that has been brought against Bridgestone or BMW please let me know.
  • Options
    mikethekmikethek Member Posts: 5
    30.(i) serviceable tires with a tread of at least 1/8" remaining at the shallowest point, all of the same grade, quantity and quality as those delivered with the Vehicle.

grade & quality are certainly open to interpretation
  • Options
    aeonfloxaeonflox Member Posts: 1
    Hi Cdnpinhead, I am currently having problems with my 335i tracking and tires. You say you have replaced your RFTs with conventional tires, can you tell me the differences and improvments you have gained after changing

This informationw is valubale to be as I am now in negotiations with the dealer regarding the problems

Also did you use your original rims with the new tires ?

Regards

Aeon
  • Options
    I have not replaced my RFTs with real tires. I don't drive a BMW, partly (mostly?) because of the RFT situation.

That said, people on Edmunds from the U.S. to Scotland have commented on the miserable ride quality & performance one endures with RFTs, along with the possibility of being stranded in remote areas of the U.S West, among other things.

The people who have changed to real tires universally comment on the improved ride and handling. I don't recall anyone, ever, posting that they were sorry to have made the switch.

That said, they have no spare and nowhere to put one if they did--there are ways around these things. However, if you lease you'll need to turn the car back in with the RFTs. The most common drill is to drive some number of miles on the crap tires, then replace them with real ones until time to turn the car in, at which time you can put the original tires back on.

There are many people who have decided that the RFT situation is reason enough to not drive a BMW. I am among them.
  • Options
    celkancelkan Member Posts: 27
    I have a base model 2006 325i with Conti run flats that are worn out after 22k miles. What is the best place to buy replacements? Will dealers match tirerack.com prices?

Does Sears sell these? In the past I have had good luck with the Sears mileage-warranty program. Are any other independent shops/chains recommended in San Diego? Does installing runflats require special expertise?

If I put on regular tires, is there any strategy for dealing with the lack of a spare? Does anyone take the risk of regular tires with no spare? The furthest I drive away from home is Las Vegas...

Thanks for all advice and suggestions!
  • Options
    rasbmw328irasbmw328i Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 BMW 328i and have switched to regular tires, the ride is better and the cost was about 1/2 the price. I decided to go with standard tires and a can of fix a flat in the trunk. I never had a flat with the RFT's so don't know what the advantage is. I did once have a slow leak on my Nissan Xterra tire and used a can of Fix-a-flat and the tires worked great after that. 90% of my driving is 12 miles each way to and from work so I guess I'm willing to take the gamble the other 10% of the time.
  • Options
    mimi7183mimi7183 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 325i and like everyone else on this forum am sick of replacing my tires at 13,000 miles. I only have 27,000 miles on my car and the second set is imminent. When you switched your tires to GFT's did you have to change the rims? Can any good tire shop do the replacement? My dealership tried to convince me that a broken undershield was causing my road noise. Funny how replacing the shield didn't fix the noise.
  • Options
    texhorntexhorn Member Posts: 1
    My wife owns a 2008 3 series that I can't stand to ride in. To have a nice ride you need to replace these POS tires every 8 thousand miles. That is way too expensive for a daily driver.

We are in the market for a new car and BMW will not be on the list of possible trades. Matter of fact, no car with run flats or staggered tires will be on our shopping list.

Shame on BMW for serving up this crap then trying to sweep it under the rug. I've got Toyo mud tires on my 2008 Tundra 4x4 that make less road noise than my wife's 3 series and these run flats.
  • Options
    nomorebeamernomorebeamer Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone for great insight on the run flat tires. I have a 2003 325xi which I absolutely love. Recently I decide to trade it in for a new 09, I even put a deposit down to hold a car do to come in in a week, until I read these posts. Needless to say, I called the dealership today to cancel my order (they were not very happy). I really want another BMW but definitely will NOT buy one as long as they put these tires on them. I mean, you pay enough for these cars, who can afford to replace the tires every 10 to 15K miles.
    I mean it's pretty bad when a BMW mechanic (fixes my car on the side)tells you he would never buy another BMW because the ride sucks since they put these tires on the car.
    I am do to pick up my new Honda Accord in the morning with regular tires and a very smooth ride. Believe me when I say, I will miss my BMW terribely...I love that car! But after 6 years it began to nickle and dime to death :sick: . Until they replace the tires with regular tires I will just drive my Honda.
    Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    Horrible, horrible choice made by BMW for truely selfish reasons. They want the trunk space for electronics and other things. I lease my BMW's . First thing I do is remove the horribly overpriced pieces of vermin feces and replace them with real tires costing much, much less and performing much , much better. I bag up the afor-mentioned over-priced vermin feces and re-install them when I turn in the car at lease end. I will never forgive BMW for allowing us no say in this matter...AND....I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY A SET OF THESE TIRES AS LONG AS I LIVE. Thank you, I feel better now.
  • Options
    I have an 06 325i without sport package, just the base 16 inch wheels, tire size 205 55R16. What tires do people recommend? I'm looking for a balance between price, comfort, and handling. Either summer or all-season tires, since I live in southern California.
  • Options
    hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    Sounds like the folks here are brutal about the RFT--

I have RFTs on my '08 335 and at 13k miles show very little wear--might have somehting to do with how one drives

The low profile has a lot to do with the ride and as well the sidewalls (regardless of how small they are) are less flexible.

My 99 Vette had Goodyear rfts--got 20k miles out of first set--wheel hop--poor ride--switched to Firestone firehawks RFT's--far better--quieter, softer ride, far less wheel hop-

Replaced the fronts at 45k but I had a wierd alignment problem that in no time wore them out. 58k miles now and just replaced the rears about 5k miles ago.

no complaints at all (other than cost of rfts).

I will not replace the BMW rfts till needed and then either the firehawks or something comparable.

Oh yeah--I am just as anal about my car as anyone else.
  • Options
    aghagh Member Posts: 3
    Can you get Michelin Pilot Primacy HP ZP (run flats) in the USA?
    I run a late UK spec. 2005 E91 320d SE with standard suspension and 205/55R16 wheels.
    I've been through Continetal Premium Contact SSR's which are as bad as any description found on this long thread. Dead at 14K miles but really needed replacign at 9K miles. I ran standard Continetal Premium Contact 2 for 20K miles and it was a different car.
    I now have these Michelin's and all the time the outside temperature is above about the 45DegF mark they are virtually as good as a standard tyre. Sadly for me it means 3-5 months of the year I get tram-lining and some skittish behaviour in the colder months of the year.

Goodyear NCT 5 EMT's are meant to be fairly reasonable too.
  • Options
    Yes, Michelin Pilot Primacy HP ZPs are available in the US but Michelins are overpriced compared to all other brands here.

I ended up getting Goodyear Eagle GT non-run-flat tires, and a can of Fix-A-Flat. Most people say the can does work if you need it, and the manufacturer says it is safe for tire pressure sensors. I will get a second can because some people say one can can be not enough. A can is only $5... I would use it even if I had a spare tire because changing a wheel in traffic is no fun, nor is it safe.

Compared to the previous Continental runflats, the Goodyears are noticeably quieter and softer. They may grip better, but I can't say that for sure yet. We haven't had any rain yet here.

I bought the Goodyears at 25% off special offer at Sears. That made the price the same as at tirerack.com. The shipping charges, delay, and hassle make tirerack not worth it, when local places have "4 for 3" sales, which they do regularly.

Usually Sears offers a treadwear warranty. I have claimed on this successfully with an Audi A4 in the past. This time, Sears offered no treadwear warranty supposedly because the tires are being discontinued. I don't see the logic of that, but oh well. The tires and the price are still good.