Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oops, you're in the wrong topic. This discussion is about run-flats.

why don't you cut and paste your link over to

3 Series Maintenance and Repair

See you over there!

Visiting Host
  • Options
    ninja2007ninja2007 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have 07 328iX, RFT with 25K (16" tires). The noise as many described here is too bad. I want to replace the tires with regular tires (NOT RFT) but I am not sure about the following things (I do not have good knowledge about tires, machanics...):

1- First, can I replace the tires at a tire shop (not the dealership) without affecting BMW warranty (I original and extended warranty)?

2- Will the tire pressure system continue to work with non RTF tires? In general is it ok to not use RTF (I am not sure if it affects the all wheel drive system).

3- Since the car did not come with a spare, where can I buy a spare and its toolkit?

Any recommendation for what to do is welcome.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    yes, no, at the dealars
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Q1: First, can I replace the tires at a tire shop (not the dealership) without affecting BMW warranty (I original and extended warranty)?

A1: Yes, GFTs (Gets Flat Tires) will not affect your warranty.

Q2A: Will the tire pressure system continue to work with non RTF tires?

A2A: Yes, the TPMS system works regardless of what kind of tires you have mounted on your factory rims.

Q2B: In general is it ok to not use RTF (I am not sure if it affects the all wheel drive system).

A2B: GFTs work perfectly well on your car with no other changes, and many-many folks have long since switched to GFTs.

Q3: Since the car did not come with a spare, where can I buy a spare and its toolkit?

A3: Your dealership can order you a kit.
  • Options
    I'd like to add that I have been told (can anyone verify?) that if the car is LEASED, you must return it with RFTs regardless of what skoes you put on it for your own preference.
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct. That is why many folks have yanked their RFTs before they're below 5mm of tread depth and put them into storage so that they can remount them just prior to turning the car back in. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sbyronsbyron Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 328 coupe and hate the run flats. Too noisy, too expensive and they wear out too soon. I would love to replace them but I have no doubt that as soon as I do I'll get a flat. Do you happen to know if there are any after market kits (BMW or otherwise) where one could convert the storage space under the trunk floor to hold a spacesaver tire and/or a small jack or do I just have to suck it up and put the spacesaver in the trunk?
  • Options
    rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    Bite the bullet and put a full-sized spare on it's own matching wheel in the trunk. The jack easily fits into the well beneath. I know it takes up a lot of trunk space, but believe it or not, you will never miss it. We do our weekly marketing, drive on 2000-3000 mile vacations yearly and are never at a loss for space. Granted, there are only two of us and the back seat sometimes gets piled high...but as an alternative, it beats any option I can think of. The fold down rear seat helps but is not a necessity. By the way...after 5 BMW's...hating the RFTs on the last two...I've grown accustomed to them and actually drive more comfortably not having to worry about a flat 100 miles from nowhere.(where I often find myself). As to the cost of a replacement...if you have a spare, you have a choice and Tirerack sells replacement Conti Pro Contact SSR's for around the same price as a comparable GFT. My Conti's now have over 20k on them and hardly show wear...I fully expect to get 30k out of them. They ride comfortably (forget the Bridgestones...they're dogs) and I have grown to accept the pros outweighing the cons. The spare's the answer to either the GFT or the RFT problem.
  • Options
    I got rid of my rfts and 3 weeks later hit a pothole and blew the right front tire. Had a rft in trunk but no jack etc. The car was towed to the tire installers garage. He asked if I was sorry now that I got rid of the rfts. Ya know I had a new tire put on for 1/2 the rft price and NO!!! I am not sorry I got rid of the dunlops.
  • Options
    bmwqabmwqa Member Posts: 4
    With the ContiProContact SSR RFT for $136 at tire rack, it seems that the price issue with these tires is no longer valid. I just bought a 07 CPE that came with these tires and was wondering what would be the best way avoid some issues associated with fixing/replacing these tires. My main concern is while traveling, being stuck with a flat RFT in a small town with no shops that can fix/replace/install RFTs and having to wait forever for a tow truck, etc. Or worse, having to pay what BMW dealers charge for replacements.

So what do you guys recommend? Fix a flat with compressor, Conti Comfort kit, buying a tire and wheel and leaving it in the trunk? Any solutions or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Read my reply in message 2403...go for the full sized spare rft and sacrifice the trunk room. Some day you'll be glad you did!
  • Options
    yup, i concur. go for the full size spare and jack. peace of mind, guaranteed
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    How much did you pay for the tow, would AAA or BMW Assist tow for free for this case?
  • Options
    80% highway driving and the wear level is still good for 10k miles... however it is noisy.
    I'll see if I can ride out the winter and see if 3G RFT will be out by early next year.
  • Options
    It is $136 for the 16'' and $172 for the 17'' wheel size.

So you guys think it is better to have the full size RFT spare?
    Now, which wheels should I get and which jack & tools can I use (reasonably priced)?

With the full spare, how do I secure/store it and the tools? I think saw a pic somewhere of someone with a really neat net setup. Anyone has a link or any info?

Thanks again for helping!
  • Options
    Full Size spare on a BMW wheel (whatever style wheel is on the car (if you are to match them). The wheel will cost you(from BMW ---for a style 159 wheel which is what is on my 335XI) about $300 +/-, You can get an aftermarket wheel that doesn't match but of course will work for a spare for about half of that). I covered the tire in a Tirerack "Tiretote" bag---2 of them cost about $20. The wheel fits tight to the rear seat wall and I have a tight bungy cord going around it to 2 "D" rings that are on either side that came on the car. As to the jack... I have an old BMW jack (from 3 cars ago) and an "X" wrench and they both fit into BMW's excuse for a well under the floor.Takes up lots of trunk room, but as I said previously it's liveable and provides terrific peace of mind.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics?
  • Options
    brickman2brickman2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a recall on these tires? Absolutely irresponsible on behalf of BMW to not hold the manufacturer accountable! I was in a Calgary dealership yesterday and 3 others waiting for service were discussing how dissapointed they were with BMW's complete lack of concern on this issue.

One of the fellows said that his neighbor went in to a dealership and created a scene....at which point the service manager came out and agreed to replace the tires. If you scream loud enough....you will get looked after, otherwise....be prepared to shell out $2,000 !

Also...just an fyi...the reason BMW went to this technology has nothing to do with safety but rather has to do with their bottom line. Remember that they no longer provide a spare tire which saves them money. Safety is just the spin so don't be fooled !
  • Options
    frankiecfrankiec Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience towing a motorcycle (800lbs) using a 335i?

Thanks

Frank
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi Frank,
    You landed in a discussion specifically about the run-flat tires. Have a look at our list of BMW 3-Series discussions. I'd pick one that has your year included (e.g., 2009 BMW 3-Series) and post there for more on-topic feedback.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    sagemistersagemister Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my 328i for a 2006 330i with RFT tires with 17800 miles on it a week ago and i am very disappointed with the performance of the car. The ride is bumpy , noisy and rough. I can honestly feel every pebble on the road ..After reading several forums about the drawbacks of RFT tires , i am considering replacing them with the conventional tires . Does anyone have a recommendation for the replacement tires ?Thanks !
  • Options
    mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Got the 06 330xi with the BS RFT's and just replaced them all with non-RFT Continental Pro 2 from TireRack for less money than 2 tires from the dealer. Voila, no more harsh ride. Hated the car for that, and looking forward to replace it soon. Poor design, poorer customer service.

Be warned though that I had to get a set of new wheels as well (I never liked the stock wheels, UGH), a jack and tire wrench, just in case I get a flat. I know it's rare, but I'd like to be prepared for the just in case. Good luck with yours.
  • Options
    Why did you have to get a set new wheels?
  • Options
    aviator01aviator01 Member Posts: 5
    why did you replace the wheels? that was not necessary,GFT fit right in,your next unpleasant surprise is whren the electric coolant pump braks down,if it happens ,shut down engine and get a flatbed truck home
  • Options
    dtoneydtoney Member Posts: 1
    what did you find out?
  • Options
    kipkipkipkip Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2006 330xi w/Sport Pkg etc for 1 year, RFTs, & yes, what a hard ride, although till tonight reading this forum I did not know that RFTs gave a hard ride. Few nights ago I got first dreaded message re: flat tire. Does driving 20-25 miles @ 40-45 mph on the flat tire without filling up with air - SINCE BMW MANUAL SAID NOTHING ABOUT FILLING WITH AIR, ONLY THAT YOU COULD DRIVE 155 MILES ON THE FLAT (yes!!) - always mean that the tire is now shot and I have to buy a new one? If so ($300 tire, dealer said), how can I create leverage with the dealer on this cost since BMW's manual is woefully remiss? I put air in it after those 25 miles, drove 10 more, and it is holding most of the air for 36 hours now - ??? thanks for wisdom.
  • Options
    highlandpetehighlandpete Member Posts: 46
    You can drive without filling with air, that really is the purpose of a run-flat. So once it has be used in anger that really is it, new tire. If you get a warning, and you are prepared to pump up the tire than you can run and check pressure to ensure you don't run flat or even low on air. I see that as a personal choice not something BMW need to be concerned with. They advertise the run-flat on its ability to let you drive on, without needing to stop.

As a general comment, a lot will depend on how low the pressure was and tire deterioration, what kind of puncture, etc. Some have failed and shreaded within a few miles. But normally due to running with extreme wear, (inner wear on rear tires) or running low pressures for too long and then using in anger.

I'm not sure how we can see BMW failing to give us information. I know the USA is different that the UK, you seem to have labels covering every eventuality, where over here in the UK we have to take more resonsibility for our decisions

HighlandPete.
  • Options
    blueroadblueroad Member Posts: 10
    I disagree with HighlandPete. The cost of a RFT failure is a barrier to sales, so they never mention this significant expense in the marketing and sale of their product. Neither was the car designed to hold a spare, so the customer is faced with a problematic choice in choosing conventional tires. Without a spare, the car was designed to use an immature technology. When customers get loud road noise at 8000 miles, any defense of the technology is weak. I suppose it is better now, but ours made riders laugh at the roar. BMW's mode of denial was pathetic - blaming the customer for not checking the air pressure every week, when that was never mentioned as required (other than boilerplate "good practices") and did not actually solve the problem. Some cars have had alignment issues, which are missed by the dealer because they assume it's is yet another RFT failure. It's a great car with conventional Michelins, but not as sold.
  • Options
    I think it's a great technology if you get a flat in a war zone and have to get past the checkpoints before they open fire---but other than that....... :shades:
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I think it's a great technology if you get a flat in a war zone and have to get past the checkpoints before they open fire---but other than that.......

:P :P :P

The jury is still out on what I think about run flats, only have 5k miles on the tires. Not psyched about buying 4 tires when I only need one.
  • Options
    xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Just thought I'd mention that I now have over 24,500 miles on my Original Equipment ContiProContact RFTs. They have been rotated front/back once and are wearing perfectly. I have had no flats or pressure issues since I bought the 335xi new in August '07. This past Sunday, I drove out of 10" of fresh snow in my driveway, backed into 12" of fresh snow on the street while snow-blowing my driveway and drove right back out with absolutely no issue.

I maintain 33 psi in front and 36 psi rear and check no less frequently than every 2-3 weeks. The car has never seen the high side of 110 mph (I don't track it, and if I get stopped, the trooper wins - I don't like losing) but it does take corners aggressively.

Will I buy another set of ContiProContacts, based on my own experience, when these wear out eventually?

You betcha.
  • Options
    highlandpetehighlandpete Member Posts: 46
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with in my post. The fact you can use a run-flat without air? Or BMW should let us know we can put some air in, if we want to, when the warning goes off?

If we are talking about the concept, then I'm the first to play the under developed technology line. I've posted on here over the years and many other forums on this subject. I've had big debates with BMW UK, had Bridgestone involved, had a Bridgestone field engineer in my car, to pass opinion on the ride quality. Currently I run conventional tires on my second wheel set. I even changed dampers to try and improve the drive on run-flats, at cooler spring/autumn temperatures.

I cannot forgive BMW for not having spare wheel space. Even on run-flats we do travel remote, and I don't trust getting home even on a 'flat' run-flat tire. So a spare uses valuable space.

No, I don't suppport an under developed technology, BMW got it wrong and we are having to live with the issues, as feedback shows how poor the thinking was.

HighlandPete
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I cannot forgive BMW for not having spare wheel space. Even on run-flats we do travel remote, and I don't trust getting home even on a 'flat' run-flat tire. So a spare uses valuable space.

Always good to hear from you, Pete.

"Travelling remote" is my #1 objection to RFTs, even if they ever do address the noise, wear & cost issues. The damn things aren't available except in large cities & I've driven hundreds of miles from large cities in the middle of the night & on the weekend.

A few years ago I was in northern Nevada one Sunday morning about a hundred miles north of Winnemucca (not a large town, but the only "nearby" town) when I had a flat with my full-size-spare-equipped car. Took a 15 minute break to change it (lots of stuff to move to get at the spare, otherwise it would have been quicker) & took the flat tire to a shop in Phoenix the next day -- total non-event.

With RFTs it would have been a much bigger deal.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    "Just thought I'd mention that I now have over 24,500 miles on my Original Equipment ContiProContact RFTs. They have been rotated front/back once and are wearing perfectly"

Wait a second...
    I called my dealer because I was wondering about tire rotation as I have over 5k miles on them now and they told me BMW does not recommend rotation because of the camber angles on the wheels. Is this BS? Are you doing the rotation yourself?
  • Options
    You are correct - BMW does not recommend rotation as it's generally not necessary. In my case, I managed to scrape both front rims a little when I got too close to concrete parking blocks. (Ironically, I wanted to park as close to the edge at the end of a row to avoid door dings, and in the process, scraped the wheel rim. I managed to do both rims within a week of each other.)

Since I had bought the wheel warranty for about $700, I thought I could claim vibration in the steering wheel and have then give me two new rims. Instead, they checked out the wheels, test drove it, etc and told me that, although they wouldn't give me new rims, they would rotate the tires and hopefully, this would correct the problem. In fact, the issue may have been in my imagination the whole time, but they did the balancing & rotation AND charged me for the work!

Basically, my plan backfired. Nonetheless, the rotation did no harm, and actually gave me the marginally better traction in front.

Bottom line: If your tires are wearing evenly, there is no need to rotate. If they are not wearing evenly, you probably have a balancing or alignment issue that rotation will not help, and could even hurt.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I am on my 2nd set of Original Equipment ContiProContact RFTs. I replaced first set around 37k miles, my second set is going strong at 42k miles. (car has 79k miles now) Both sets of tires were/are never rotated. I keep 32/36.

I had 1 flat indicator once which I tested it and was 18 psi, I pumped it up, drove it for a couple of days and I noticed the psi would go down 2 or 3 a day. I took it in and the dealer said they found a cracked wheel which was leaking the air. The tire was not leaking. The tire/rim protection paid for the wheel which was ~$500. (I had them replace all 4 tires for $1,200 - a little more expensive than Tirerack)

The car also developed vibration at 75+ mph speed and I took it to an indie shop and they fixed it (so it was a balancing issue).

I am hoping the 2nd set to last 50k+ miles until the Bridgestone 3G RFT are available. Last I heard it should be out in spring 2010?
  • Options
    boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    I think the issue is Bridgestone. Their run flats simply are awful. Dealer recommends replacing with Conti's. Still run flat's are not comparable to the performance standards of many other "normal" performance tires. BMW has eliminated choice in tire and wheel selections relegating all to run flats. That I think is a most unfortunate choice by the manufacturer of the Ultimate Driving Machine.. That moniker is now in question. RFT'sd are an infant in the tire industry and they are simply awful. BMW engineers as German engineer's can be, are a little too bold in their assertion that the motoring public whould live with their decisions as they are best. Please!! It's usually years after they made a mistake that they finally can bring themselves to making a correction. Not buying another BMW until the technology is proven, I can have more choice in how my car is set up, or real tires and a spare return.
  • Options
    bigkevbigkev Member Posts: 33
    I bought my first ever BMW in 2007, brand new 3 series. It had Bridgestone runflats and they were the WORST TYRES EVER PRODUCED!!!!!. I bought a spare wheel kit and changed them to Pirelli P7 and the improvement was amazing! Being a glutton for punishment I have just upgraded to a 2009 3 series diesel and it has Continental runflats, and the ride is as good as conventional tyres. We also have a 2008 idi A4 and the Beema with the Continentals is actually less harsh over the bumps. The Bridgestones banged and crashed, 'tramlined' all over the road where the patches had been done and heavy rain on the wet HIGHWAY were almost dangerous. They take you where you want to go and you just hang on! Maybe the technology has improved in the last two years, but Boy oh Boy --- lose the Bridgestones!! :mad:
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Having driven base suspension 328i's with both the Continental and the Bridgestone EL42 run-flats, I'd offer that the Conti has better ride comfort but gives away some steering responsiveness in return. On balance, I preferred the EL42.
  • Options
    karkus315karkus315 Member Posts: 1
    I was once against the RFT's as well and planned to get regular tires this spring....Until Christmas day this year. I was driving my children to DC and hit a pothole at 70 MPH. It blew out my 2 left tires, but I was able to maintain control (avoiding the jersey wall about 2 feet to my left) and drive the 20 miles back home with no problem whatsoever. The car behind me also blew his tires, then smashed into the jersey wall and careened across the highway getting hit by two other cars. While I know this is an extreme instance, I also know that the runflats saved either our lives or saved us from serious injury. I decided to replace all 4 tires with RFTs after this incident. I gladly traded a softer ride for my family's safety. I bought the car with the sports package anyway, it is suppossed to ride stiff, its not a lincoln or a cadillac.
  • Options
    I am very glad you have survived to tell such a good story. At the risk of vilification from the more aggressive and vociferous BMW owners, there is no choice between safety and speed/handling. I have plenty of both with my 335xi, and based on my experience, I would not go back to Go-Flats.

Now, if I could just get the ignorant inconsiderate buggers to not scratch my car in the parking lots, I'd be in Nirvana.
  • Options
    I would tend to agree. I have the ContiProContacts on my '07 335xi while my wife has the EL42s on her '08 328xi. If I was as confident about the longevity of the EL42s as I am about the Continentals, I would have them on my car as I believe they handle better (read: stiffer sidewall). Still, I don't drive that aggressively, but appreciate the abundance of torque that twin turbos delivers. There is nothing like down-shifting, stomping on the pedal and seeing the view in the mirror.When it comes to "re-tiring", I will go with the Conti's.

Having said that, it Bridgestone comes out with the 3rd generation tires AND they prove out in time, I may reconsider. With all the negative feedback on the EL42s, it is doubtful. They just don't seem to have their act together despite a ton of marketing.
  • Options
    boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    Sorry to read about your close call but happy to read all worked out well. I still cannot get behind these tires. Given the other great systems built into these cars like traction control, ABS, all wheel drive, one can never say for sure, but I suspect others with "normal tires" have survived similar tire damage. I know I have.

I bought the car for handling. That does not relate necessarily to a "stiff" ride in that subjective sense. It does relate to roadholding, cornering, braking etc. The RTF's are substandard in this department. Regarding harsh rides, that is why I also have a Honda S2000, a very purpose oriented sports car... From the other posts on this sight I wonder in BMW is even listening? Seems pretty telling.
  • Options
    johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    BRIDGESTONE RFT's
    I have been reading and replying on this site for 2 years now and there is far more negative responses re: RFTs than there are BMWs on the road. I am one of those negative responses.
    Have a 2006 330i optioned to the hilt which then includes Sports Package with tires than cannot be rotated because of their differing sizes.
    FIRST ORIGINAL SET: ran for 24,000 miles and became close to "treadless". All mechanical in steering was diagnosed perfect. Had new tires installed by BMW dealer. He advised that my driving habits wore tires prematurely. Well at age 64 I guess we are a bunch of harsh drivers.
    SECOND SET: At 46,000 the dealer states that they are unsafe to drive on. "THEY DO NOT TRACK".
    Well - I knew that as when you drive on the highway and you hit the slightest surface imperfection, the steering pulls to that side. Lucky for little ice where we are. Now at 66 years of age, the same dealer did not mention my driving ability or lack of it. I "thought" that over the past 50 years of driving with no accidents, I knew how to drive everything from VW beetles to Corvettes (and everything in between) which includes 4 BMWs.
    BRIDGESTONE RFT's are death at any speed. AND a wear rating of "1" !!!
    We won't talk about the the practicality of the beasts. That has been dealt with here over and over by people far more qualified than I.
    So after 46,000 of a mix of city and hwy. driving a THIRD SET (RIGHT> 3 (not 2 but 3) of tires is needed. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that one set could have been bad and the second.............BAD TIRES
    At 66, my wife and I want to live a "few" more years. Will not buy BRIDESTONES AGAIN. BMW has same on new models. WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER BMW with them mounted.
    Car is GREAT.
    People who put them on such a finely built automobile are IDIOTS!

John..Springfield Oregon
  • Options
    Did you try Continental RFTs on your 3rd set? I have more than 40k+ miles on the 2nd set.
  • Options
    ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    Wow, just got back from test driving a 335xi and loved the drive. Loved it enough to check out this forum and reconsider my Infiniti G37 that I was set on.

Are the Bridgestone RFT what's included with the 335? I will definitely put over 50,000 miles in 3 years and no way do I want to pay for 3 sets of tires!
  • Options
    I got the ContiProContact tires on my '07 335xi. I have ~27,000 miles on my first set and expect at least 5000-8000 miles more. I have the Premium, Sport & Cold Weather Packages with the 17" all-season tires - that may be why I got the Contis instead of the Bridgestones. I'd get the 335xi and switch out the tires to the Conti's if you have to. After driving the 335xi, I wouldn't go to the G37. It's only style over substance, and it looks like a toy. There is nothing like twin turbos to put a smile on your face, every time you hit the go-pedal. Every single time!
  • Options
    Hi Johnsam.... I have a 335XI (it's my fifth BMW). Love it as you will also. However DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, once again for good measure DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY OF THE CAR WITH BRIDGESTONE Tires. They are disasters. The car can come from the factory with Continental Conti Pro-Contact SSR RFT tires and they are light year's better. I am into 20k with the original set on a two year old 335XI. DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER... do not let the dealer tell you that he cannot specify the tires. THAT IS BALONEY. It's inconvenient for them, but absolutely do-able. Business at BMW stinks and they will do it for you to save the sale. If they give you ANY EXCUSE at all...go to another dealer or call headquarters in NJ. Other than the tires, the only problem with the car is a defective hi-pressure fuel pump that BMW is keenly aware of but will not recall...I've had two replaced. But that is the subject of another forum. Good luck...you'll love the car.
  • Options
    My 09 335ix coupe has bridgestones, new improved version, and I have almost 16000 miles on it. The tires still look brand new. I have been rotating them every 5000 miles. My car has every option except window shades and it goes like #ell, handles great and it's probably the best BMW I have owned. Plus the faster I drive it the better gas milage it gets. Average highway speed of 90+/- gives me 30.5 and combo 22/28.
    Don't worry about the tires. Most of these people complaing are kids and don't know the first thing about cars.