Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

jeep4x4jeep4x4 Member Posts: 2
:mad: :lemon: We just purchased a new Jeep Commander Limited with all options and the 5.7 Hemi. Less than 1500 miles and now it won't start. Anyone else have this problem? I will be taking it up with the service manager, and escalate if needed.

Any ideas what is broken?

Thanks!

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Does it turn over as if wants to start or is it just plain dead? If it turns over, then you may be experiencing a problem related to the MDS system's software. Some early build models had glitches in the software, which in some cases caused vehicles not to start.

If doesn't crank at all, then yes there is a major problem.(hopefully it's just a bad battery)
  • jeep4x4jeep4x4 Member Posts: 2
    The headlights were bright in the beginning, when I tried to start it, clicking sound, now dead battery. I think you are on track with a software problem. I will not trust the Commander until the Dealer tech runs diagnostics on it. Oh, by the way ours is a black hemi too.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, how did you become aware of the MDS system software problem? :D
    I became aware of the problem when I took my Commander in for an oil change. I asked the service manager if there were any TSB's that I needed to know about and thats when he told me about the software glitch. Thankfully, my Commander was a 10/2005 build(special order) and it didn't have the problem because DC had already fixed it.

Oh, good choice on the black. I think it goes well with all of the chrome trimming on the Limited models.

Hopefully your battery was just a dud and you'll get another and be back on the road. Good luck and post what your outcome is.:shades:
  • melvinpmelvinp Member Posts: 10
    Almost a month old, 1700 miles, and my driver’s side door hinge seems to be a bit loose and makes noise when opening or closing the doors. The door seems to move (up and own -sort of popping out of socket) during its travel.

Anyone else having this issue?
  • jacqueline625jacqueline625 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new Commander in NOV05.First own came in with major paint defects.The dealer ordered a new one fromthe factory.On12/05 I picked up my truck.It came in with 20 miles I was told that this truck went through quality control at the factory. had the truck for one week and put 102 miles on it.while getting on the highway the tranny went.I was able to get back to the dealer checked the codes and thought it was the tranny mogule. They changed that, took it for a ride and the tranny went.The dealer had to order a new one and now it is on back order. This is the HEMI LIMITED.Anyone have a similar problem. took the Miles of Freedom plan so Jeep will have me around for a while. In my state if vehicle is in shop for m,ore than 30 days for the same problem in two years I can go under the lemon law clause.
  • martinellismartinellis Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased a new Jeep Commander Limited with all the options and the 5.7 Hemi. Less than 1500 km ( Toronto, Canada ) the power steering failed - all the hydraulic fluid was lost. Went in for repair, Came back with engine problems, it's running rougher than before a very noticeable difference..Additionally while driving the tire pressure indicators intermittently drop in 7 PSI amounts - This happens on all for wheels and is very sporadic eg: the 2 front may indicate 234 and the rear tires are at 227, then it will reverse or sometimes only one will show the correct pressure. I suspect this is software related and maybe the onboard computer is trying to compensate in some strange way - hence the rough engine? Any one seen this. PS My dealership Unique Chrysler here in Ontario is absolutely useless..

Anyone aware if there is a "Lemon" law here in Ontario like some of the US states..

Cheers,
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Anyone aware if there is a "Lemon" law here in Ontario like some of the US states..

Unfortunately, there is no "Lemon Law" in Ontario but they do have the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan.

tidester, host
  • chrisfont23chrisfont23 Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a Jeep Commander, S Series - basic package. Headlights are very bright - often seems to other cars in my view like my brights are on. As a result, I get some nice gestures and often get flashed by their headlights.

Anyone else have this problem?
  • tom85tom85 Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery of a Commander 4x4 with the 4.7 V8. We drove it for 3 days, racked up only 100 miles. Two disappointments - -

1. 9.6 mpg (actual, not per the trip computer). Can I expect the mpg to get better as we "break it in?" Granted the sticker stated 15/19 mpg, with a range of 12-18 for city driving. Hope this improves. Our driving was 80% "city" thus far, also about 35 deg F outside.
    2. Went to get a video on Saturday nite, started the car, it ran for 2 seconds and died. Started again (not applying any gas, of course), ran for 2 seconds and died. Started a 3rd time, gave it gas to help it run, but it died immediately. Next try, nothing. Only a fast quiet clickking noise. Battery works, as I can turn on the headlights, the dash lights up, etc.

Calling the dealer Monday to pass on our happy events. Otherwise, we love this SUV.
  • martinellismartinellis Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know when these jeeps with the glitch were built. I contacted Chrysler and after hearing the question they hung up.
  • tom85tom85 Member Posts: 2
    Replying to my own message . . . phone call with dealer led us to discover that the key (a key + fob combination) had inexplicably become de-programmed, and without the security code in the key, the engine turns off immediately after starting. I reprogrammed the key, (did this at home)and it was fixed. Also obtained a third (back-up spare) key+fob. Quite an expensive key at $138 !! But, it has the built-in security. Any copies of this key Ii.e. from a hardware store) will only be able to unlock the doors, will not start without the programmed integrated key+fob.
    Glad to hear all is well now. That could've easily been a more major problem.
  • jeep1988jeep1988 Member Posts: 40
    I am always leary of completely new models no matter who makes them. The first year is when you always here of problems; that is the time when they work things out, the kinks you might say.
  • hotrod63hotrod63 Member Posts: 3
    Bought my Commander Limited 4x4 in December 2005. No major problems thus far except an annoying wind sound in the cabin at speeds +60 mph. Has anyone else noticed the hissing sound, similar to the sound a partially opened window makes at high speeds? If so any remedies or something we have to live with?
  • jeepcmdrjeepcmdr Member Posts: 6
    Check the roof rack crossbars - one or both might be installed backwards. I experienced severe windnoise at 60+ mph and kicked myself for not testing the Jeep at highway speeds. The salesman indicated that the crossbars might not be installed in the optimum location (the owners manual addresses this). On checking the crossbars I saw that rear crossbar was installed with the front facing rearward. There was a bright yellow sticker with arrow showing the correct orientation and embossed words on the front edge of the crossbar also indicating the correct orientation. I flipped the crossbar around and the windnoise problem was resolved.
    Adjust the headlight aiming by lowering the aim angle - a Torx T-20 screw is accessible via a small hole in a snap-off plastic panel above the headlights (the panel need not be removed to make the adjustment). A few clockwise turns should help, try aiming them at night against a wall or the back of a small car. Don't aim them too low or you won't have enough of the street illuminated (I made this mistake on my first adjustment). A small hex driver, perhaps 6 or 8 mm or smaller may also work.

I thought there might be a problem when I noticed that the light reflected from street signs appeared brighter (and more painful) than normal. Other car occupants were lit up when I stopped behind them and it was obvious the headlights were irritating them. Some oncoming traffic also flashed their brights. I had started driving with only the fog lights on to avoid problems but the aiming adjustment corrected the problem and I can now use the low-beams without blinding everyone around.

I found the solution on another website but can't find the site again to corroborate their solution so I'm posting my experience here.

I don't have the smartbeam headlights and my high beams were not on. This problem could cause a serious incident and if many other vehicles are affected this should be a TSB or perhaps a recall until the factory aims these correctly.
    The radio controls on the back of the steering wheel do double duty and supplement the UConnect Phone and Voice Command buttons on the rear view mirror.

I haven't found this in any manual yet and discovered this by accident.

Holding down the left radio control button on the back of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds will activate the UConnect "Phone" option (don't push the up or down but rather the raised portion directly in the center of the button).

On a lark I thought I'd see what would happen with the right button - yes, it activates the "Voice" command button and allows you to send numeric dial commands to voice mail, etc... (e.g. push the button, say "1 2 3 4 SEND" to send 1234 to the other phone/voicemail system.
  • hotrod63hotrod63 Member Posts: 3
    Wow.. you were dead on with the diagnosis. The racks were installed backward, turned them around and the wind noise was gone. Thanks dude...
  • jtolerjtoler Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    Need some help to install new trailer brake controler on my 2006 Jeep Commander. My Jeep dealer has no info on this
    can someone help all of my other new Jeep came with a brake controler wireing kit but this one has not got one.

Thanks
    Jim Toler
  • 77wilson77wilson Member Posts: 1
    The roof rack makes noise at speeds of 60 plus miles an hour & it has been adjusted to all positions with no change in the humming noise.

The front dash also makes noises like it had been taken out & put back incorrectly.

The big hit is the fact that the engine does not come close to the suggested miles per gallon & while they say it is in high gear it always feels like it drags when you let off the gas. (14. 5 mpg is the best this thing has to offer not 18 or 19 as suggested. I have the 5.7 HEMI & it idles a little rough sometimes but has the power to move & requires 7 quarts of oil when you change it.

The fancy DVD Navigation system works but I suggest not spending the extra money because the auto lighting does not adjust without always manual intervention. The Navigation system also requires that the NAV-DVD be in at all times running and is not at all current with roads and information. To update is another $200 plus dollars each year. When you want to search for special places you must be stopped which has a good side but not when you have someone else in the vehicle, plus it is set up so it could not be much more awkward if they tried.

Quality, fit and just design leave a lot to enhance. The bumpers are cheap pieces of plastic that are snapped together with plastic connectors and I already have a couple connectors that allow the fenders to wobble/noise. The interior is ok but limited space with only one seat with a pocket behind it. There was no special place to put the head phones for the rear seat DVD player and the extra roof windows do not open nor do the rear side windows so there is a high level of air noise due to the cheap/poor air flow design.

The 4 wheel drive is less than one would expect since you have all wheel drive & must almost stop to engage the low 4 wheel drive system which will allow you to go up to 20 miles an hour which is not what anyone should get when they expect to have true 4 wheel drive capabilities.

I would not waste what this vehicle cost again and should have waited for the new explorer.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    My gosh Wilson, did you even test drive the vehicle before you bought it? Did look to see that the windows in the third row area didn't open? And the second row roof windows didn't open? :confuse:

Most new cars won't get their posted mileage for about 8,000 miles and it depends on your personal driving style.

I really don't understand you slamming your vehicle now, a lot of the problems should have been caught in the first five minutes of inspecting your Jeep. :confuse:

Jeep has one of the best four wheel drive systems on the market today! And, you think the Explorer is the answer to your 4x4 needs?

Mark :surprise:
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    WHY DID YOU BUY THIS TRUCK??????? I have nothing but praise for my Commander.

The "new" Explorer? Well if you think the Jeeps 4WD system isn't up to the task, then you'll be sorely mistaken to take an Explorer off of the beaten path.

Navigation: Once the program has been implemented, there is always new roads to be added, no matter if it's Jeep or an $400K Maybach or Rolls. Nav system will always need continuous updating.

Build Quality: The build quality of the Commander is nothing short of exemplary. Mine has remained as tight and squeek and rattle free as the day I purchased it. No wind noise or drivetrain noise. Sure the bolt heads are faux, but doesn't every car maker use plastic? I think so.

As for the HEMI engine, it has a slight burble to it. It is not a rough idle by any means. True it's not as smooth as a cammer motor, but it is what it is: a marvel of an engine. In case you didn't hear, not even the hybrids are getting their reported mileage. Why would anyone by an SUV in hopes of good fuel economy? It ain't gonna happen.

Here's a hint: test drive and do research on any vehicle you may buy.
  • ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    All I can say is HUH???

Navigation system is great, I have used it numerous times with nothing but sucess - well Ok one time I was driving to a golf course and it took me to the employee entrance, but close enough.

4WD is no good? I have taken my Commander in nasty snow and off-roading through some pretty tough trails, mud, water and could not believe how well it handled. Do you even know what low 4x4 is used for? You don't need it over 25MPH.

MPG...have you ever had a car get the EPA rated mileage? 10-15% off is about the best you can expect. 14.5 is right in that ballpark.

Fit and finish. I am about as finicky as it gets when it comes to rattles and squeaks. I am the guy who turns off the radio and listen for things. Nothing to complain about in the Commander so far and believe me I have looked.

Wind noise? Engine noise? Are you serious? If anything I would say this is its best feature, it is whisper quiet, even at highway speeds. I turn the engine on and can barely feel it's running.

Rear windows/sunroofs don't open. Umm yea it doesn't fly either but it is not meant to fly, just like the windows are not meant to open.

Do us all a favor and go for a test drive before buying your next car.
  • chboccachbocca Member Posts: 4
    I know!

Today, we discovered same problem! We went to pick-up our trailer only to have the RV technicians discover that there is no trailer brake harness for the electronic controller! Very, very disappointed with Jeep.

After hours on phone with dealer and manufacturer, we've made some progress. There is no harness. But, the brake wire is buried under driver side dash...it's green, very, very hard to find. Had to bring to dealer to find. We are now looking for where to hook-up power, ground, and stoplight-switch wires.

Though we bought the tow package, the brake trailer pin on the 7-pin connector actually connects to nothing!!!!

See helpful information on: www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm

As we make progress, we will post.

Bottom-line though is we are very disappointed...the manual says you must have an electronic controller to tow anything over 1000 lb, only there is no place to hook the controller up to!!!! So, the "up to 7700 lb" advertised towing capacity and tow package addition is misleading info from manufacturer.

Otherwise, however, the vehicle is great...hope to have this issue resolved soon.

Please post if you find further info. Thanks and good luck.
    This may be helpful: Towing tips for SUVs

tidester, host
  • vcolsonvcolson Member Posts: 1
    Your issues with the roof rack and dash might be isolated.. I don't have issues.. nor do the three others I know with Commanders.

The Navigation system (worth the money or not is up to the individual) but you should go through your manual again.. the illumination issues (which I had a BIG problem with on our Grand) no longer exist... you CAN control the illumiation through system set-up AND via the turn signal arm which allows you to dim the screen by 20% with a simple clock-wise twist of the dimmer control. This does NOT affect the illumination of the dash gauges, etc ... from this first turn ON... you can then incrementally dim the entire dash AND navigation screen together.

Bumpers on new cars have been 'cheap pieces of plastic' on just about all cars (except Wranglers) since the late 80's.

Your 'expectations' of what a 4-wheel drive system's performace should be.. if the Commander doesn't meet them... is somewhat humorous. When do you need to be in 4-low... where going over 20mph is a viable option? If you need 4-low.. you SHOULD be stopped.. one doesn't come across 4-low scenarios 'on the fly'.
  • jumpmanjumpman Member Posts: 10
    Does anybody know how to properly hook up an IPOD on the rear entertainment system. I got it to run once and don't remember how I did it.
  • orangetangorangetang Member Posts: 1
    After a good rain I open mt Commander driver side door and a puddle of water drops by my foot. Somehow rain gets trapped between the door and frame. Appears to be a design issue. Anybody else? - OT
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Re: 4WD low, if you were indeed allowed to go from 4hi to 4lo on the fly, the resulting sensation would be similar to downshifting from 5th gear to 1st. Disturbing to say the least. 4lo to 4hi on the otherhand wouldn't be as shocking.
  • jpdaddyjpdaddy Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know of any problems with the base model V6 4x4's, I just got one and want to know if I should expect any major problems in the near future, it sounds like all the problems that are of major concern are with the v8's.
  • captainstabbincaptainstabbin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Commander and it has been back to the shop 5 times in the last 3 weeks. First the radio stopped working and was told the radio was bad. They ordered a radio and 2 days later the battery died. Was told that the battery is why the radio died and blah blah blah. Then after the battery was replaced the service 4 wheel drive light came on. Took it back and they were unable to determine why. After they got the code to go away they told me it was fixed. 4 times since then it has come on and they have been unable to fix it. This truck has been the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.
    I bought a new Commander in NOV05.First own came in with major paint defects.The dealer ordered a new one fromthe factory.On12/05 I picked up my truck.It came in with 20 miles I was told that this truck went through quality control at the factory. had the truck for one week and put 102 miles on it.while getting on the highway the tranny went.I was able to get back to the dealer checked the codes and thought it was the tranny mogule. They changed that, took it for a ride and the tranny went.The dealer had to order a new one and now it is on back order. This is the HEMI LIMITED.Anyone have a similar problem. took the Miles of Freedom plan so Jeep will have me around for a while. In my state if vehicle is in shop for m,ore than 30 days for the same problem in two years I can go under the lemon law clause.
    After new tranny was put in didn't drive it for two weeks,took car out drove it on LIE in N.Y. rocks starting
    flying fron gravel truck dented my crome grill and large chip in paint on hood, craked windshield. Now Sirus radio
    looses signal.Told by Sirus that the antenna wasn't connected at the factory. With all my mishaps I only have
    302 miles on truck. The dealer couldn't gave a crap about
    my truck but the service dept. is trying to bend over backwards, because they are looking for a good response to a survey. It's amazing how these dealers keep their 5 star
    ratings. Maybe if chrysler would start taking care of these vehicles that come from the factory and not try to keep bringing back old relics. ie charger challanger and srt models maybe all these problems wouldn't occur on the new models.
  • jumpmanjumpman Member Posts: 10
    Just out of curiousity, any specifics on your major paint defects?
  • jemeabdajemeabda Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Limited 4X4 5.7 Hemi loaded - it is soaked on the passenger side floor board after 300 miles and five days. Back to the dealer this morning. Pulled the sill trim, and the insulation, carpet..... everything underneath is wet. Stains start on the firewall. Any ideas? Haven't even had time to get a plate on this thing - extremely disappointing. It rained slightly the first day I had it, but it's been dry ever since.
  • mbeverlymbeverly Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a limited, 5.7 Hemi loaded. I have been about 300 miles and so far love everything about the car.
    I have had a problem with the heating and cooling system.
    Some days it works great and the next day I only get very cool air blowing out. At 30 degrees outside, when the car is started it immediately blows cold air. The next time I get in it seem to work properly. Has anyone had this problem?
  • heatherscommiheatherscommi Member Posts: 1
    I have a very similar problem. Water was leaking in through upper handle on driver side windshield. We thought that this was causing the drivers side floor to be wet. We took it to the dealer and they peeled back the weather stripping and re-glued it. A few days later, I drove it through a car wash and the problem was still present. It's at the dealer again. They have inspected the same area and decided that this time it was the roof racks. They fixed it, took the commi through the car wash and the floor is still soaked. They contacted Crysler techincal support and they said to check the sunroof (we do not have that option) or the air conditioning could be leaking. (uh, it's still winter in Indiana, we're not running the air conditioning.) It's still in the body shop working on a diagnosis. This is the only major issue that we have had, however it's already been in for a defective rear wiper motor, misplaced ambient sensor, incredible dangerous headlamps(needed to be re adjusted) and the rear hatch was stuck. I love my commi, but my confidence is shaken.
  • jackratchettjackratchett Member Posts: 2
    My gues is someone left the window open at the dealer's lot or in transport.
  • jackratchettjackratchett Member Posts: 2
    Could be a few things,
    water getting past the door water dam behind the door panel and dripping down to the floor (check for this by looking for water when you open the door in the groove of the seal, at the bottom that goes around the door opening).
    A urethane skip or lack of, around the front windshield (peel back the carpet and with a trickle of water from a hose, slowly pour water around windshield and look for any water dripping to floor).
    Missing rubber body plug possibly where sunroof drain hose comes out or would have come out if equipped or any hole where required.
    Missing or loose floor plug, put on at the factory to cover drain holes from vehicle being dipped. With car in the air inspect plugs for seating evenly and all holding it in place).
    This ones a little trickier but in the course of spotwelding the body you can sometimes get a burn through or a tiny pinhole in the weld itself which still big enough to cause a leak. (pouring water over spot welds but would require trim, carpet and possibly dashboard pulled away).
    Related to the above would be body seam sealer used to seal all metal joints between the in and ouside of the car.
    Problem with water leaks is that water travels but they should be using a water additive to show its path under an ultraviolet light.
  • crowheadcrowhead Member Posts: 1
    Purchased Commander Limited 4WD in December, . I love the vehicle and enjoy driving it despite the gas mileage, however....
    Two weeks ago the service 4WD system light came on. The transmission seems to be engaging the 4wd system all the time instead of when necessary. The service light is intermittant, when the light is on, heavy friction when turning especially at low speeds, when the light goes out the friction goes away. Dealer claims they have not heard of the problem and were unable to fix it. It has been in twice to no avail. Service manager on vacation, so little assistance there. He returns on Monday, lets see if they can get it right. I have already paid for a weeks worth of rental car and not looking forward to doing it again. Frustration level is rising by the day. UGH :mad:
  • taketheoffertaketheoffer Member Posts: 26
    Been a very loooooong time since a post. Have since put 6k miles on my Silver Hemi Lmtd & it has been outstanding. I have seen a few posts about unexplained stalling issues and would like to ask a very dumb question... has anyone accidentally bumped the keys or fob while in the ignition & driving? Just a little tap and the car turns off. I actually did this once (or twice) while backing out and have since always made a point of positioning the keys in a way so they do not dangle down or contact with my knee. I can't be the only person who has done this. Because I am tall I am very conscious of this but could see how someone could do it accidentally. I wonder if this could contribute to any of the stalling issues and if Chrysler will ever address this. Also anyone else take allot of rocks to the windshield this winter? I have been a magnet with 4+ this year on NY roads. Could it be because the windshield is so large or some other design issue, or should I be taking it personally?
  • edccsaedccsa Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Jeep Commander a month or so ago. Last night at 2100 miles while turning the corner it just died. I will schedule an appointment with the Dealership. I am only hoping it won't happen again.
  • fudge55fudge55 Member Posts: 1
    there is a hook up for i Pods in the jeep grand cherokee. I was wondering if anybody knew if there was one for the commander.
  • sonji1sonji1 Member Posts: 3
    Ok folks...for the last hour I have sat here and read every post about this vehicle and I have never been more turned off in my life. I have been eyeing the Commander for the last month and hesitated buying it just because I was not impressed with the incentives Chrysler was offering. Today I get an email that Chrysler is offering a $2,000 rebate along with another $1,000 for Chrysler financing and in seeing that my enthusiam for the vehicle spiked again, but after reading all these posts I am back at square one...SCARED TO PURCHASE SUCH A NEW MODEL!!!

I am looking for some seasoned advice on whether I should or should not buy what appears to be a piece of CRAP!!! :confuse:
  • kk28kk28 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had success in getting their brake harness wired on a Commander? My local RV store couldn't find wiring and called a couple different car dealerships, but didn't get any help. HELP! I need to tow soon!!!
    SCARED TO PURCHASE SUCH A NEW MODEL!!!

Keep in mind that you're looking at a "Problems & Solutions" forum so you're not likely to find any "trouble free" posts. Be sure to check out the main Jeep Commander discussion as well.

tidester, host
  • slam4slam4 Member Posts: 3
    After reading the pro and cons of all the commanders' owner I am very confuse. I have a grand cherokee limited and love it. Now I want a commander, like sonji1 I am scare to purchase the commander. I am curious statistically how many "happy" vs "unhappy" owners? :confuse:
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    The Commander is a new model, true, and new models tend to have more problems than ones that have been around a couple of years.

For me, it didn't seem like too much of a risk because the Commander is based on the Grand Cherokee platform. In other words, the major mechanicals have been "out there" for a while now.

Also, a lot of the difference between "happy" and "unhappy" lies in your perspective. (Some of it is how the dealer treats you.) If you expect your brand-new car to be flawless, then you'll probably be unhappy.

We have had our Commander for a couple weeks now. We love it. And already it's been to the dealer twice for service. The first time was because the back driver's side assist handle wasn't attached right. No big deal. I have no idea who was test driving that Jeep before we bought it, but the dealer fixed the problem. The second time it was for a little water leak. After a rain, a little bit of water stared to leak out of the trim cap above the driver's side assist handle and drip onto the dashboard.

Both of those issues are directly related to the Commander being a new model, and are the kinds of things I would expect to encounter. Maybe the rear assist handle is shared with other cars, but how it attaches to the body is unique to the Commander.

On the grand scale of things, I'm more aggravated that the nav system doesn't know where my house is, even though it's been here for almost 7 years!
  • babyrnbabyrn Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 4WD JEEP COMMANDER in Jan. 06. After just 20 days and 300 miles it started to grind and drop speed from 35 to about 10 in a split second. I took it back to Jeep and they could not find anything wrong. 2 weeks later it did it again. I took it back and they ordered a new tranmission. They found the gears damaged when they replaced it. I got the car back and 3 weeks later it did it again and I was stopped to fast that I bruised my collar bone from the belt. I had it towed in but it ran fine after I put the brake on and it went back into drive mode.I have filed for a buy back on the :lemon: JEEP. They have my car trying to find the problem and are putting lots of miles on it with a special STAR computer. Headquarters in Michigan okayed a rental. When I went to pick up the rental, the district Manager refused to PO my rental. I can either sign a release and drive my JEEP at my own risk or rent a car at my own expense. I now have a case number with Crysler and sent in my card certified mail and now having to seek counsel for help. All you Commander owners beware. I loved the JEEP until I got hurt. Now I have no JEEP and am paying off the cost of $46,000 and paying for a rental...... This is really hard to swallow!! :lemon: :sick:
  • tgretztgretz Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander. I really like this SUV except for a persistent noise. AT speeds of 60+ miles per hour I'm hearing a whistling sound which I believe is coming from the engine compartment or the front of the car. The source of the noise seems to be at dashboard height on the inside. My first thought was noise coming from the luggage racks which I repositioned several times. I finally removed them completely. The whislting noise still continues. It's not extemely loud, but very annoying.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.