Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Driving One

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    because, well, I'd be "dead," and therefore—couldn't drive... :shades:

But if I could, I wouldn't be driving...

• Any pink "Mary Kay Edition" of anything

• Any "bling-mobile"

• Any vehicle that screams "LOOK AT ME!"

• Any Detroit iron with a vinyl top, opera lights, fake landau bars, and/or fake wire wheels

• Any "monster truck"

• Any vehicle targeted towards seniors (and I am a senior!)

• Any utterly dull vehicle

Bob
  • Options
    calidavecalidave Member Posts: 156
    WOw, and I thought I had the toughest definition of wealthy!!!

I agree with you, though I'd put Air Jordan in the wealthy department. Am pretty sure that none of his descendants would have to work

Of course, MJ does have a tendency to gamble, so he may never have enough money

I agree that annual income is not a measure of "wealth" (unless, of course, that annual income is measured in the millions and is guaranteed, as in an annuity)
    - but I'd call that "wealth"
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Bob's list is pretty close, though I have to admit I drove a New Beetle for several years and never felt like it was a "chick" car.

Regarding the F&F look, what about folks who go to the tuners like Lingenfelter (GM) or Hennessey (Mopar) to customize their Vettes and Vipers?

I've always thought that if my lottery numbers ever hit, I'd take my Saturn L300 to Lingenfelter and have them do some stuff to it - perhaps a supercharger, something like that - to boost output to 300HP or so. As suggested above, improve only the parts that couldn't be seen (suspension, steering, engine, exhaust), add some slightly larger wheels and tires, and really make yourself a Q-ship.

Granted, I wouldn't be able to take an M5 off the line, but it would be fun to surprise a Mustang/3-series owner.
  • Options
    scramblinmanscramblinman Member Posts: 33
    What would I drive? Let's start with what I do drive;

05 Nissan Maxima SE
    00 Chevrolet Impala LS
    94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
    82 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

New cars I would consider owning, off the top of my head:
    Infiniti M35x
    Nissan 350Z
    Toyota Avalon Limited
    Nissan Altima
    Toyota Camry
    Ford Five Hundred when it gets a real engine
    Dodge Ram 2500/3500 with Cummins
    Ford F250/F350 with Powerstroke
    Chevrolet Impala
    Hyundai Azerra looks promising
    Volkswagon Passat
    Infiniti G35x
    BMW 3 or 5 series
    Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    "Whatever that Cadillac station wagon is. WTF are they doing making SUVs and station wagons???"

I dunno...I kinda like the SRX...it's one of the few wagon-y type vehicles that I'd actually be willing to drive/own (if I needed a station wagon, that is).

Though I don't like it as much as I like the Cadillac XLR...I've seen a few on the road, and (to me anyway) they look amazing! :D
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    What would I drive?

Who cares?

We're talking about what you wouldn't want to be in. In 100 words or less.

Like......

I wouldn't be caught dead in a VW bus.
  • Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    My friends true wealth is not fast cars, money, power, women or other material things. When you were born you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice. Only then will you know what wealth is, as you are accepted into His kingdom.
  • Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    Anything made by KIA.
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    That is a nice message stockmanjoe, however some would say that the individual should define what wealth is given that we are material beings. If we were ghosts I guess that material things would not matter.

Happy New Year
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,265
    I didn't know this was a religious forum

I do have to agree with lowline Kias though. A Rio...no way.
  • Options
    marikamarika Member Posts: 39
    "What does "wealthy" mean, anyway?"

One recent definition of wealth in the USA is $600K in assets excluding the primary residence.

Since virtually 100% of my assets are in my primary residence, I don't qualify.

Back to the topic, I would not be caught dead in any recent SUV, full size sedan or coupe, pickup truck, or sports car, with the sole exceptions of GTI or much older inexpensive reliable (usually Japanese) options.

I like the smaller, older, more modest European cars, and the more efficient Japanese and Korean cars, and that's about it. I am particularly enamored of the ultra-efficient very small models that we don't have in the USA.

Virtually anything else spells values that I do not wish to project.
  • Options
    geoffdgtigeoffdgti Member Posts: 83
    "What does "wealthy" mean, anyway?"

Wealthy means you have more assets than I do.

marika writes:
    Back to the topic, I would not be caught dead in any recent SUV, full size sedan or coupe, pickup truck, or sports car, with the sole exceptions of GTI or much older inexpensive reliable (usually Japanese) options.

In high school and college, I drove a diarrhea-brown 2-door 1972 Ford Maverick so I clearly can't say there's any car I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Today, I commute in a VW GTI and my wife drives the Mountaineer that has the "Geoff" vanity plate on it. I tow a boat and cope with a dirt driveway during mud month at the ski resort so I'm willing to cope with the uncoolness of owning an Exploder variant.

I'm a Hertz five star so I'm no stranger to boring domestic mid-sized and "full-sized" cars. My banned list includes any domestic GM product except a Corvette, any domestic Jeep/Chrysler product, most Ford products, boring Toyota sedans, Subarus, cars from Korea, Mazda 6... essentially, any car that could possibly be in the non-premium rental fleet at Hertz.

The worst car I've been given by Hertz was a Nissan Quest minivan. I drive an SUV but I couldn't park the thing in a strip mall parking lot without backing back and forth several times. It's easier to dock a supertanker. On the road, it was incredibly ponderous with huge body roll and imprecise steering. It has the aerodynamics of a barn door and sucked down fuel. Definite two thumbs down.
  • Options
    Wealthy means you have more assets than I do.

that's funny - that's EXACTLY the objective of a definition that puts a great deal of the true "middle class" at war with the rest of the "middle class"

"Tax the wealthy" becomes "tax anyone with more money than me" - as a result, the truly wealthy get a walk in the park while the middle class gets taken to the cleaners

600K in the bank will not put your two kids through college and pay for two weddings - I hardly think that is "wealthy"

and if you lose your health insurance, good luck

I guess if I was 85 and had $600K in the bank, I'd feel comfortable

but not if you are 45

Is there a reason people pour money into mediocre cars? (I'm asking seriously, because I am not a car-guy, so I admit that I might be missing something. Why would anyone put 10 grand into a Saturn, for example?)

VW Wagons are cool. I have a buddy who is selling his 4-year old one and buying a new one. He loves it. And he's not even crunchy-granola or anything.

I would not want to drive a smelly, old Grand Caravan. I've been there done that. But it was so damned practical!!! (even after it started to get a little stanky)
  • Options
    drusselldrussell Member Posts: 3
    I agree with everything you say, 100%!
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    "Tax the wealthy"

We don't actually tax the 'wealth' until you die. We do tax income tho.....so folks with wealth have paid the tax (supposedly) and are free to spend the cash as they see fit. But once you have accumulated some wealth over many years its hard to part with it.

Getting back on message.....yea - the day I have to own a Kia is the day you can put a fork in me.
  • Options
    ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Without hesitation I can say that I would DEFINITELY NOT be caught dead driving a Pontiac Aztek!!!

Regarding the definition of "wealthy" in the USA, a few years back there was an article in Forbes Magazine pertaining to this very subject. Even back then they stated that a person's net wealth would have to be a minimum of TEN MILLION dollars for them to be considered "wealthy" in the USA. Personally, I think that's a bit excessive. Especially since I don't have ten million bucks myself. :)
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    driving a boring looking Toyota or Honda product.

Or a dull, overpriced, dorky, pseudo-rich looking Mercedes-Benz or Porsche. Older or newer model. Doesn't matter how old, they lose my business for a myriad of reasons. Suffice to say they don't deliver value, or, if they do, they do it in a very expensive way. What's more, they look like crap. Just the truth, dudes.

I like the old VW's, ala '66 VW Fastback, but I'm so enamored with the South Korean Kia's that I doubt I would waste my money on any other vehicle, ever. Yep, I know, never say never. There is absolutely no better value in automobiles, no better Warranty and no better body styling. In a nutshell, there is no better car than a Kia.

I would rather drive a car I like than be a mindless drone purchaser that is deathly afraid of trying a "different" brand. Witness what is happening to those that thought they could trust Granddaddy GM. GM stopped caring about cars...they concentrated on big, boaty trucks and SUV's and, what's hard to understand, Americans continued buying them up!

What's biting GM in the hindquarters now is their lack of planning for the automotive future. When you buy a new Kia you get the Long Haul Warranty to cover you. I have bought two new Kia's and the Warranty has covered the few, petty fixes required. At no cost to me. All the while the fix was being done I could wander around and admire the new Kia's and talk to the salespeople, watch tennis on TV, read People magazine and drink marginal car dealership coffee. A nice experience.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    On second though, I think I could actually drive anything with three or more wheels. Two wheels... I'd feel uncomfortable with at this point. But I've managed short drives in go-carts and small water tankers, so I'd be ok with most other vehicles.

It's still embarrassing to be seen with my peeling overcoat, and I'd feel silly in an automatic sporty car or a large SUV, but as long as I wasn't buying one of those I'd be willing to drive.

Just being honest and unhyperbolic.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    $10 million? Well, that's my price! At $10 million, (after taxes of course) I'm retired! I wouldn't even have to touch the big money to live a decent lifestyle by my standards. The modest interest on my very secure investments would more than support me in a lifestyle to which I've become accustomed. I would just reinvest the surplus of my capital gains and grow an even larger fortune for my heirs. If $10 million isn't enough, either there's something fierociously wrong with my money mangement skills or I'm the greediest pig on the face of the earth.

People wouldn't even know I had $10 million by all outward appearances. I'd still live modestly with a few token luxuries. I don't want exotic cars. I don't want boats or planes. I most certainly don't want some huge white elephant of a mansion. I don't gamble and have no alcohol, sex, or drug dependencies. Peace of mind and freedom from the evil spectre of unemployment and poverty is all the wealth I need.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You gotta be the one guy in the world dissing the Porsches for a Kia. Sorry to hear of your implosion. And you get a warranty to prolong your misery!
  • Options
    jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I've been on vacation and just checked out the forums for the first time in two weeks. I'd have to agree that the Gremlin and Ramblers were pretty bad. My uncle used to have this car - I think it was a later model Rambler - it was brown on brown on brown. It looked like a turd on wheels. But if you're going to list the AMC's you can't leave out the Pacer. It had more glass than a Greyhound bus.

Some others I have had personal experience with include Ford Tempos/Mercury Topaz my mother had. They were some of the blandest, most underpowered cars I've ever driven. Also when I met my wife she was driving an 87 Toyota Corolla four door hatchback. It too was brown on brown on brown. Functional, but definitely not a head turner. The worst truck I've ever driven was a mid-70's model Datsun my dad once bought. It was green with one red door and smoked profusely.

There are many recent makes I'd include in my list:
    Chevy Avalanche with the plastic body cladding.
    Buick Rendezvous
    The new Dodge Dakota
    Chevy Trailblazer
    That new Subaru thing - reminds me of a mole rat.

One vehicle that has been mentioned that I also think would be sweet to have is an older model hearse. Sure it creeps out some people, but folks notice when you pull up in an early 70's model hearse. The Oscar Meyer Weinermobile is also a sure-fire bet to get you noticed.

But my vote for the ugliest vehicle on the road today has to go to the Pontiac Aztec. Is it a car? A wagon? A van? or an SUV? It reminds me of a transformer. I expect that at any time it is going to turn into some kind of robot and start terrorizing out town. What was Pontiac thinking?
  • Options
    works for you. I noticed when driving my '99 Kia Sephia that it was a ball to drive. Mind you, I had some 70,000 mile Yokohama radials and Konig Diva wheels put on at Discount tire and that improved the car's handling quite a bit. I only paid $7995 for my Sephia yet the car drove very tight and very well. And the Kia model that replaced the Sephia, the Spectra, is said to be an improved car. I've never driven one. The point is that for the price paid I was getting great service from the car and the body styling cleanly blew away the boring looking Civic and Corolla.

There's a couple of potholes I wouldn't be caught dead driving, a Corolla or a Civic. What uninspired gunk. :sick:

• Options
    gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Just being honest and unhyperbolic

didn't Michael Jackson have one of those. I have never seen him driving a car though, he always has a chauffeured Escalade.

Alot of people are saying Kia. A few years ago that would have been me also. I think since Hyundai has taken them over they have some interesting Suv' s. The Sorento and Sportage would be on my list if I were shopping for an Suv.

That said I would not drive a Santa Fe, the back door reminds me of my Grandmother's old Norge.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,352
    I hate to say this but I would tend to agree with iluvmysephia on this one. Porsches just seem to scream "hey look at me, I may be balding middle aged and have a gut but I'm driving a hot car so I must be someone". It is just such an attention getting device, and over priced at that, that I really wouldn't want one.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I guess it depends on where you live.

A "normal"Porsche in my part of town doesn't get you a second look, and that is fine as the people who drive them don't expect attention.

I suspect some people buy Porsches because they like them.
  • Options
    I don't know most people I know equate cars like Porsche to be pretty much summed up in a Jerry Lee Lewis song:

"Today he traded his big 98 Oldsmobile
    He got a heck of a deal
    On a new Porsche car
    He ain't wearing his usual grey business suit
    He's got jeans and high boots
    With an embroidered star
    An today he's forty years old going on twenty"

• Options
    bigobigo Member Posts: 22
    I wouldnt be caught driving any:

Nissan/Infiniti
    Toyota/Lexus
    Honda/Acura..

....kthx :shades:
  • Options
    Hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'm going to add to my list:

Last-gen Pontiac Firebird.

Now I really love pony cars and all, but those Firebirds had such ridiculously over-the-top styling...like a combination of the Batmobile and some kind of demon spawn.

I can't imagine driving one of these things to a restaurant, or a business meeting of some sort... :surprise:
  • Options
    That is the same as my shopping list. Different strokes...
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    go so far as to say I wouldn't be Caught DEAD IN ONE, but I would be a little embarassed to drive a Corvette or Porsche for the same reasons listed above - these are midlife crisis cars, and there's also too much "look at me, C'MON, LOOK AT ME!" in those models.

And I would be embarassed to be seen in a Firebird - these are muscle cars.

I do not want to project either the muscle or desperate midlifer images.

As for cheap cars, I have kind of a perverse enjoyment of those. I remember having a Daihatsu Charade once that I used as a daily driver for six months or so. It was like the little engine that could. Were those three-cylinders? I think they might have been. I would drive the Rio if I found an old one that was running OK. I wouldn't use my money to buy a new one though.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I don't think I am quite old enough to be having a midlife crisis, so I guess it is ok for me to drive a Porsche if I like.

I agree on the Firebird. I had to borrow a bright red one with aftermarket exhaust and wheels to go to a job interview. I felt like a total tool, but I did get the job.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yeah, if you're under 30, then it's OK. Then you become like Tom Cruise in that movie, was it Risky Business? I know, I am dating myself here.

If you're a woman it's OK too, I think. But if you're a 40-60 year old male, than uh oh, everybody's going to be thinking the same thing when they see you driving that thing.

Of course, there's a lot to be said for the notion of "who cares what people think", but if we acknowledged that notion in this thread, it would have to shut down! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    I don't think I am quite old enough to be having a midlife crisis, so I guess it is ok for me to drive a Porsche if I like.

I'll take the Porsche in a heartbeat and not give a sh*t what anybody thinks as I'm driving it. It's a effin Porsche people! Talk about some envy going on here.

It's hard to believe we actually got a "I'd rather drive a Kia than a Porsche" thing going on here.

Put me down for the "no Kias here" club. Rather slit my wrist then drive one of those.
  • Options
    Finally someone with some common sense.
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I'm of the mind that if I gotta get somewhere, I'll drive what I have to. I lived with a 2003 base Grand Prix for three weeks once, I think I can live with darned near anything if forced. ;}

As for what I'd actually volunteer to spend money on? Nothing body-on-frame, that's for sure.
  • Options
    I think any anti-Porsche sentiment goes away if actually get one...then you think "wow, what a sweet car...I'm so glad I own one!"

Porsche in a sense is a victim of its own success...because they are such amazingly capable cars, they attract both the enthusiasts as well as the poseurs who want to be seen as enthusiasts.

BMW since the 1980s has had a similar stone around its neck...they're great performance automobiles in their own right, but because the yuppies all flocked to them, there's always that unspoken question when someone tells you they own one. "Did he get it because he likes performance driving, or because it's a BMW..."
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,731
    how someone like me would react to owning a Porsche? Even with the mid-life crisis and erectile disfunction stigmas aside, little things like that just aren't my gig. Might be kinda fun as a toy for nice days and short trips, but I'd probably hate it if I had to drive it on a regular basis.

One thing I will confess to, though...a couple years ago, a buddy of mine bought a new BMW 3-series coupe. I forget the year, but it was pre-Bangled. Anyway, it pretty much squashed my previous perceptions about these things being small, cramped, horribly riding, overpriced leather-clad Chevettes. It was actually quite comfortable in the front seat, and roomy enough for my tastes. The backseat was pretty much non-existent though once you put the front all the way back. It rode very well too, and while the interior still had somewhat of a stark look to it, it still exuded quality, and and was attractive to look at.

Still don't know if I'd buy one, though. I could see myself getting one of these before I'd get a Porsche, though.
  • Options
    I once dated this lady whose parents had a Porsche and only took it out a few times in the summer. To me thats a total waste.

As for the 3 series I had a different experience than you. I found the cabin very cramped. Even with the seat all the way down and back and tilted a few notches back my head was still pressed against the roof, the steering wheel was dug into my legs and my left arm was wedged between my body and the door. Can't drive a car like that.

And yes I am well over 6 foot tall, but I can still fit nicely into a $10K Accent.

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,731
    well one thing I should mention...I only rode in this BMW; I didn't get a chance to sit behind the wheel. That might've been a totally different experience. For instance, I don't really like driving my uncle's '03 Corolla because of the bad driving position, but as a passenger it feels fine.

I have noticed that some newer BMWs, especially the 6-series, have a really bad driving position. First off, the steering wheel is off-center with respect to the seat. But worse, it was angled a bit so that I had to extend my left arm further than my right arm to grip it. I guess you can get used to it after awhile, but it really turned me off. Shame too, because I think the 6 is one of the better looking Bangled cars.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Three whole weeks? After my divorce and moving to Colorado, I leased and drove a new '93 Honda Accord DX for 5+ years. No A/C, no power anything, stick shift, and, as if that wasn't penalty enough, only a 2-speaker stereo.

Somedays I miss that car....
  • Options
    Not sure if "bad driving position" is a proper name, just that the car is small.

• Options
    as if that wasn't penalty enough, only a 2-speaker stereo.

Whats wrong with that? Its not like you have more than two ears. :P

• Options
    thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    What a great piece of engineering. ALOT of envy going on here as stated earlier. You will be hard pressed to find one that you don't like once you buy/drive it. Like the saying goes, "There is a difference between a car and an Automobile". ;)
  • Options
    on this subject. I would rather have a 2006 Kia Rio5 than a 2006 Porsche whatever. I really would. I don't like the look of the Porsche and I could care less how much it cost, it doesn't look good. Image is important to me.

• Options
    Have we entered some sort of bizzaro world?

I think you mean self-image is important to you, because I can't imagine how having a Kia would produce any positive image to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    I think he accidentially ommited the "not" perhaps... :confuse:
  • Options
    the Cayman is sweet

Can't we all agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder

good call on the Trans-Ams and Corvettes. I'd feel funny driving one of those. But I could drive a Porsche, no problem. I would have no problem driving a pre-1968 or so Vette.

yeah, I'd feel silly in some jacked-up truck.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,404
    I think he accidentially ommited the "not" perhaps...

No he didn't thos of us who've seen Iluv's posts over the years will tell you he'd really rather have a Kia. Doesn't say much for his sanity does it? ;)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,404
    no problem. I would have no problem driving a pre-1968 or so Vette.

Me either, the C2 Stingrays are the last 'Vettes a really went for. I'd have no problem driving a pre '71 Ponycar.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I agree completely. IMO, the Vette "coolness" went the way of Mulletts, Z Cavaricci and "Members Only" jackets driven by guys named "Flash". All I can picture when the thought of owning a Vette crosses my mind is "Face" from the A-team.

Porsche over a Vette easily. :shades: