Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Driving One

Comments

• Options
    scramblinmanscramblinman Member Posts: 33
    A fully decked out Altima lists for over $30K and a Maxima can hit over $35. Why not just buy a G35 and be done with it?

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure in 2004 nobody could get a Maxima SL equipped like an I35 for under $26K, which was my logic to just get the Infiniti. (granted, the Maxima was a newer design, but the old design wasn't so bad)

Sometimes it just makes sense to get the more prestigious car, especially when the "luxury" version is on the fire-sale discount clearance rack.

I'm still trying to figure out precisely where and when "2004" and "I35" were introduced to the equation... :confuse:

But hey, if you can figure how to purchase an M35x, the car I really wanted, for roughly the same price as a loaded Maxima, be sure to let me know and I WILL be all over it! ;)
  • Options
    jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    Today I saw one of those huge Chevy Caprices built back in the 80's when they went to that big rounded body style. Is it just me or do those things (as well as the Buick Roadmasters from that era) remind any of the rest of you of a Manatee?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,180
    A real treasure around here are th wagons from that same body. It probably has a nicer styling than the sedans. But the wagons are treasures for a few young drivers. It seems to be sort of like station wagons were in the 80s IIRC.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,729
    it was 1991 when the Caprice went to that jellybean/suppository style. IIRC, the Roadmaster wagon and Custom Cruiser came out that same year, but I don't think the Roadmaster sedan debuted until 1992, and the Caddy Fleetwood was 1993. I vastly prefer the styling of the older, more angular big cars, but there's still something about those rounded styles that has an allure for me.

The Roadmaster at least has a decent engine. I think they all had 350's standard, although maybe the '92-93 might've just had the 305? Anyway, for 1994-1996 they came standard with the 260 hp LT-1 350. Basically an Impala SS in a parlor suit. I think they're ugly, but still wouldn't mind having one if I found one at the right price.

With the Caprice though, it's a different story. Now I thought they'd dropped it by then, but evidently you could still get the 4.3 V-6 in them for 1991-93. You DON'T want a car this big with a V-6! Most of them had the 305, which put out around 170 hp by then, and was at least adequate. At some point, they started putting the 185 hp TBI copcar 350 in them as an option...I think it was called the LTZ. It wasn't bad.

Now for 1993-94, they got rid of that odd skirted look in back, and widened the rear track a bit. That made the cars look a lot better, IMO. And in 1995-96 they gave the beltline that little kick-up in the quarter window, which helped a lot. I think '95 was also when it got revised taillights.

So if it were a '93 or later Caprice, with the right engine, I'd still take it. But you'd have to make me one hell of a sweet deal to get me into a '91-92!
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,351
    If N. Korea decides to go to war, Seoul is in range of thousands of long-range artillery and missile batteries. Kia and Hyundai could cease to exist tomorrow. It's not likely to happen overall, but it is the highest risk.

Technically they are at war, the Korean War ended with a "cease fire". Now if it were to heat up I don't think that would end Hyundai, they still have an infrastructure here in the US that can produce and sell cars even if Hyundai in Korea were to be wiped off the map.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Sorry if this reference to BMW styling is random, but reading about the new 6 in today's AutoWeek reminded me of your comment about this car in message #143 of this topic, andre, where you said "...I think the 6 is one of the better looking Bangled cars." Okay, this quote is out of context, because you were less complimentary of Bangle in the first part of your message. Therefore, taken in context, I suppose the above quote could be interpreted as meaning that the 6's styling is the best of the bad, which would still not make it good, or it could be interpreted as a positive statement. Maybe you can elaborate on what you really think of the 6's styling. anyhow, AutoWeek said...

"2005 BMW 645Ci

Six Machine: 645Ci elicits high praise as the stunner of the Bangle bunch. Say what you will about the much-maligned Bangle Butt, the BMW 645Ci represents the best application of the notchy design element to date. Most everyone—from owners who responded to our AutoFile request to the folks slaving away to bring you this magazine—concurs: The 6 looks killer."
  • Options
    Hey I had a friend that had a Yugo.

It was a great car for the use he got it for.

Target practice.

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I just replaced the taillight bulbs in my 1995 Ford for the first time. All other bulbs are original,too, and I do a lot of night driving. I do remember my 1989 Ranger burning out a lot of bulbs,though.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    jifjif Member Posts: 23
    "I can't believe it! I also achieved 102,000 on my OEM Hankook SUV tires on my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4."

that sounds very dangerous and irresponsible
    have you seen what happens when you have a blow out @65 mph?!!? :confuse:
  • Options
    calidavecalidave Member Posts: 156
    I did not say that a Rendezvous was a Lexus

I said thesimilarities are surprising, in response to people suggesting that the Rendezvous is ugly and that it sucks

no doubt the Lexus is a better vehicle, but not everyone can afford a Lexus

there are plenty of people on this forum who would assert that the Lexus is not an SUV but is more like a minivan that's missing two feet and a couple of sliding doors :-)
  • Options
    I think my uncle's '03 Corolla is on 3 of its original 4 tires, and he's pushing 100,000 miles. I don't know the story of why one of the tires got replaced...the car got torn up pretty bad a couple years ago when he hit a deer, so that might've messed up one of the tires.

As long as the tread's still okay and the tire's not dry-rotting, shouldn't the tire still be okay?
  • Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I see the basic similarity between the Rendezvous and the RX.

The Rendezvous looks like what someone would come up with as a competitor for the RX if they had to start with a really awful minivan and had little or no budget for additional engineering, styling, or upgrades.

Maybe things are changing, but the Rendezvous is a great example of how GM just doesn't get it.
  • Options
    there are plenty of people on this forum who would assert that the Lexus is not an SUV but is more like a minivan that's missing two feet and a couple of sliding doors

Yep Lexus doesn't make a true SUV, neither does MB, BMW or any other Luxury car maker (with the possible exception of RR). Most of them can't handle anything rougher than a good gravel road.

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Depends how old the tire is. I would be very cautious about keeping any tire longer than three years, especially if it gets a lot of sun exposure. And regardless of the amount of sun, the tread hardens over time, until traction is significantly reduced. Any tire with four or five years and 100K miles under its plies would be unsafe, IMO, regardless of how much tread was left on it.

Now your uncle's Corolla has tires that are only three and a bit years old, so they might be a bit safer. I still would dump tires that had passed the 75K-mile mark, regardless of remaining tread, but that is just me.

Consider that even companies which warranty their tread don't warrant anything longer than 80K, do they? Are there any 100K-treadwear-warranted tires out there in the world?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Lexus may not make it, but the GX470 is a rebadged 4Runner, a BOF truck with a solid rear axle, which can handle A GREAT DEAL MORE than a good gravel road.

Ditto the LX470, a rebadged Land Cruiser.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    inajoonginajoong Member Posts: 46
    can I ask what YOU drive?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,180
    Tread rubber hardens with aging as well. So the tire doesn't grip as well. I had XOnes that were a few years old and had changed. Still had about 30% tread depth above the bars. But they made more noise and didn't seem to grip when pushed. Tire store expert in scouts explained what had happened. He didn't worry about the fine cracks that were in the tread--wasn't dry rot, just hardening and aging.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    :confuse: what about the LX470? or the GX470? Want a hardcore Benz? Try a G-class, it'll manuver the trails like an H1... And the original M-class was a body on frame design as well.

No Bimmers though.
  • Options
    Sorry would get those. In a few years I will be taking a trip that is known for eating cars, will not take a Benz (heard to many horror stories of people who tried these roads in them). Sorry but none of those really proven themselves to me for a really hard ride, with the exception of RR.

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'll be sure to let you know when Infiniti of Nashville gets around to discounting the M35x like crazy... :D

Might take a few years though... and some stiffer competition.
  • Options
    I wish I could dig up the article, I believe it was C&D that tested a Volvo XC90 that scampered up a trail that an H2 had to drop into low range just to climb. It was pretty stunning that a lowly Volvo could outdo the hardcore Hummer...

But ya those Rovers are pretty crazy off roaders.
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I'm personally undecided on the Chevy Aveo...it kinda does scream "substitute teacher", but at the same time, I kinda like the urban-Euro styling of it, esp. on the hatch. :confuse:

Toyota Echo is 10x worse though...glad the Yaris is finally coming here.
  • Options
    "there are plenty of people on this forum who would assert that the Lexus is not an SUV but is more like a minivan that's missing two feet and a couple of sliding doors"

(Raises hand)

Ooh, ooh, me!

:P
  • Options
    " :confuse: what about the LX470? or the GX470? Want a hardcore Benz? Try a G-class, it'll manuver the trails like an H1... And the original M-class was a body on frame design as well.

No Bimmers though.
    "

BWWWWWAAAAAHHHAAAAAAHHHAAAAAA!!!!! Someone has never driven a HMMWV. There goes your credibility on the subject. Thanks for the laugh, though. :P
  • Options
    "I wish I could dig up the article, I believe it was C&D that tested a Volvo XC90 that scampered up a trail that an H2 had to drop into low range just to climb. It was pretty stunning that a lowly Volvo could outdo the hardcore Hummer... "

What so surprising about anything outdoing a Tahoe/Suburban with an overpriced body kit?
  • Options
    :confuse: Are we talking the same G class bud?

http://www.mercedesshop.com/g500.htm

Credibility? What because I said a Benz could hang with a Hummer on the trails? If I said it was better, you would have a point, but I didn't... No I haven't driven either, but the G ain't no slouch. Military vehicle roots, triple locking diffs, 8.5:ground clearance. Glad I could entertain you though hotshot...
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    you: can I ask what YOU drive?

me: A Jaguar X-Type 2.5 manual, and a modified '01 Firebird Formula in the nice weather. And you?
  • Options
    I know exactly what a Gelandewagen is. And they are quite capable vehicles.

Anyone who uses "manuever on trails" and "H1" in the same sentence without including "impossible" obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. At least you were honest about your lack of experience, props for that.

I'll bet a Porsche Carrera can manuever like a Geo Metro, too. What a stunning testament of it's handling abilities! :P
  • Options
    For the amount of cake it costs to own any of those suckers, I wouldn't be going anywhere that would scratch it, let alone hard core off roading. I'd buy a Jeep for that and pocket the rest...
  • Options
    "Oh, I get it. I mistyped H1, my apologies... Can you even buy a civilian H1? I meant H2."

I'd own an H1 (yes they can be purchased} before I would own an H2 or H3. At least the H1 is the real deal and performs the role it was designed for adequately. The H2 and H3 are nothing more than conglomerations of GM's parts bin designed to capitalize on the image of the H1.
  • Options
    "For the amount of cake it costs to own any of those suckers, I wouldn't be going anywhere that would scratch it, let alone hard core off roading. I'd buy a Jeep for that and pocket the rest..."

True, true....
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We can take this, or any other topic live tonight at our monthly Member to Member chat session!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Member to Member Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    Jeep Commander. This ugly box also looks like it has a case of lockjaw from the front end.
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I kinda like the look of the Commander. A question that springs to my mind though: is it derived in any way from the Mercedes G-wagon, or is it original Jeep?
  • Options
    the Commander is based on the Grand Cherokee, just stretched a few inches, and with a raised roof to accommodate the rear seat occupants. Regardless, I've heard that the third row is still a brutal place to visit.
  • Options
    streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    You are absolutely right :P
    It isnt a good looking ride from any angle and it just boasts to be a 7-seater, i wouldnt place a 3yr-old back there and they are claiming that 7 adults can sit in it 'comfortably'
    .....yeah rrrright
  • Options
    Do they actually claim that? Because that is not just an outright lie, it is fraudulent advertising. PACKAGES would be uncomfortable in the third row of that model.

• Options
    Didn't Dodge make a similar claim regarding the Durango many years ago? That third row was a seat in name only.

• Options
    I can't even fit in the middle-row seat of the current Durango, so I'd imagine the back row is worse. FWIW, the only SUV I've ever been in with a decent third row is the Excursion. Has anything short of a minivan or a full-sized passenger van EVER had decent third-row seating, though? Most station wagons, even the biggest ones, were never very good at it. Some of those old early 50's monsters, before they started lowering cars, weren't bad in the third row, but something like a '53 Mopar wagon is more SUV than car, anyway!
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I'm always stunned at how little room there is inside most big SUVs. Our MPV is about as small as minivans come (other than the Mazda5) but inside there's more room than anything short of a Suburban. My 6'3" brother fits just fine in the third row of our van. I've ridden in Durangos and Sequoias and they both feel cramped to me.

-Jason
  • Options
    with most SUVs is that since they make those seats to fold down and be removeable, they have to make them lighter and thinner than a "real" seat, so even if there's enough legroom, they're just not that comfortable. My Mom & stepdad have a '98 Expedition, and while I can fit in the back seat (never tried the 3rd row though), I find it horribly flat and uncomfortable.
  • Options
    calidavecalidave Member Posts: 156
    I bet your 6'3" bro is less than 25 years old! :-)

no one "fits fine" in the third row of an MPV. Well, no one over 30 years old. I'd be willing to sit in the third row of a Suburban for more than an hour. I had a Grand Caravan for many years. The third row was fine for normal sized adults, but large adults (i.e. over 6 feet) were not comfortable back there for more than 20 minutes.
  • Options
    I was in the third row of anything, it was a Windstar. I really didn't care for it, although I'd say it was probably better than most SUVs. I remember I had to kind of crouch and lean forward in that seat, but legroom was okay as I recall.
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    The third row of our Odyssey is roomy.
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/20/185199.html
    World record set in Kia Sorento?

You may like this story.

Anyhow... To all participants: Happy Holidays.
  • Options
    wfbwfb Member Posts: 10
    My vote for the ugliest car on the planet is the new Chevy HHR. GM decided way too late to get on the "Retro" bandwagon after seeing the success of Chrysler's PT Cruiser and they went about it all wrong. No wonder GM is loosing money. They should fire the design heads who thought the HHR would appeal to anybody.

Too bad they didn't decide to do a retro '57 with tail fins. OR if they wanted more utility, a retro NOMAD would have been great.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Mine too, although if you scoot the second rows all the way back that 3rd row becomes a little bit less roomy.

Minivans are the most efficient way to haul people around.
  • Options
    Hey, that's one GM vehicle I actually like the looks of! :D Sure its a blatant PT ripoff, but there are certain details of it that add a bit of its own character.

For the $$$ its an excellent design. The interior is kinda cheap but its functional.
  • Options
    He cheated, he took part of the journey by boat.