Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Hondas history has it to be the end of september or early october.

Any word on the accord Sedans yet? I hope it isn't as slanted in the rear like the altima where the rear headroom suffers.

-Cj
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I believe the introduction of the current generation was a little earier than that. My memory is driving an '03 Accord in late August '02, then signing a deal the first week of September on one that was on their inventory to be there in a week or two. I don't have the exact date because I wound up not buying that one, but instead bought my '04 in Jan. of '04.
  • Options
    99tcamry99tcamry Member Posts: 15
    I saw the 2008 Accord coupe on the side of the street today in SE Ohio. I took a pic on my cell phone but don't know how to get it uploaded. I looked inside and the seats looked similar to the current model. I tried looking at the dash and steering wheel but a towel was covering it. In person, it looked nice. A tad high on the end, but liked the line that ran down the side.
  • Options
    bwildebwilde Member Posts: 4
    There are alot of rumors flying around out here and there is a great availability of good information. I for one would love to say that a Convert. w/ a hard top would be great. the A-VTEC motor is rumored to be in just the Accord for 08' look for pilot, ridgeline, element, and ODY in 09' Civic, Fit and CR-V 2010ish. looks aside, I think the Accord is going to be the number one seller in the mid-sized family sedan segment again, for sure Car & Driver's 10 best AGAIN, Motor Trend COY award nominee if not winner. and a plenty long list of other awards. with thing like VSA, ABS w/ EBD and brake assist, OPDS, ACE,(out on a limb, I bet its got 10 airbags... Front, side, curtain, REAR side, and knees maybe?) and other passive safety items it's going to be hard for a fimily not to want it.
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    A-VTEC motor ? Can you give me some details on how many liters that is and power out put capability's ? Is this the engine going into the TL, for 2009 ?

Rocky
  • Options
    To be honest, not much is known about this engine. I think that its a conversion/upgrade for the current engines so don't expect major changes. 17% MPG improvement is OK but can be improved more with a 6-7speed auto or a higher final drive ratio.

In the accord, i predict the 3.2l unit but with a LSD and about 34mpg highway.
    -Cj
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    2.4/175hp,3.5/275hp.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    2.4/175hp,3.5/275hp.

Not much detail. Where does this information come from? Or are you just guessing?
  • Options
    Sorry,I can't release the blueprints.
  • Options
    Well can you bluftz1, tell me how much power the TL, will get in 09' ? Any Turbo's ????

Rocky
  • Options
    Sorry,don't have any info on the Acuras.
  • Options
    Okay...... :(

Rocky
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    The 2.4L, will it be paired with a 5 speed manual or with a 6 speed?
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    any news on epa ratings for the new engines?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    That is too much power for a FAMILY sedan that is likely to skip over a Limited slip differential. I'm talking about the v6.

Are you sure thats going to be it? Honda doesn't like to win hp wars... The smaller 3.2l v6 in the TL seems like a more logical choice. Honda could tweak it for 260-265hp and we'd be fine. Not to mention it gets the same fuel economy as the current v6. Maybe more if a 6speed automanual and/or A-vtec is used.

-Cj
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Between global warming and wars in oil producing countries, this whole hp war is getting tiresome.

The old 4 had plenty of power, why not focus all the engineering on better mpg and keep the hp about the same?
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...why not focus all the engineering on better mpg and keep the hp about the same?"

Because fuel economy is more closely related to rolling friction (directly related to vehicle weight) and aero losses and how efficiently the engine (of whatever size) can produce the steady state hp needed to overcome that drag.

If a car needs to generate (for example) 50hp to maintain 70mph, then fuel economy will be dictated by the most efficient way to generate that 50 hp, not whether or not the peak engine power is 175 hp or 275hp.
  • Options
    True, but a smaller engine would probably generate that 50 hp more efficiently and could still maintain the existing power.
  • Options
    They are focusing on economy. Is it Honda's fault that the engineers came up w/a mechanical friction reducing idea that benefits both horsepower and economy?
  • Options
    My 03 V6 Accord has 100 more hp than my old Accord did, and gets better gas mileage. I can't complain about that? The midsize segment has been growing larger, and more powerful because that's what the average consumer wants. If you happen to be one of the few who wants higher fuel economy, and not larger and more powerful, you can always go down to the compact segment (Civic, Corolla, etc.) which are about the same size as 5-10 year old mid-sizers. If higher mileage is what you want most, it's easy to get it.
  • Options
    mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    Having browsed through both the Civic and Accord forums, it seems to me that the 4 cyl. Accord gets almost as good real world mpg as the Civic. Seems that the Accord is a better deal overall for the money if you want/need that extra space.

I drive a lot of miles and have been in an 2003 Acura TL-S with 260 hp. Lots of get up and go, and my mpg averages about 26 mpg mixed city/highway. I would like to get an Accord with better gas mileage, but when you figure the cost of a new car verses the 2-5 extra mpg, you will never make up the cost. So I'm just going to wait for the diesel to come out and see how it performs both mpg and hp.

With improved mpg usually comes improved hp. For most mass market cars. You can't survive in the car industry and make the same engines from 1986. My 1986 Accord would compare horribly in hp and mpg to a new Civic.
  • Options
    Sure they improved both, but why does it need more hp? Why not just focus on economy - use a smaller engine.

I will believe the better mpg when I see it. They went on and on about the improved mpg in the Civic, and the MT model actually got worse mpg. The only reason the AT did better was because of the 5 speed auto.
  • Options
    The 08 v6 has VCM just like the Pilot. They didn't want to retrofit VCM to the 3.2.
  • Options
    gwinbeargwinbear Member Posts: 16
    Probably because in America, the target audience for the V6 does not put economy in first priority. They enjoy performance numbers with a higher = faster mentality. In addition, they probably are not Edmunds members ;)
  • Options
    They are so decadent!
  • Options
    Seems to me the VCM would be just as easy to apply to the 3.2 as the 3.5. The two engines are probably not very different from each other.
  • Options
    So I'm just going to wait for the diesel to come out and see how it performs both mpg and hp.

Will be interesting to find out that's for sure. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    Well the 3.2l v6 has been around since 1991... They still use it so why not just add VCM? The 3.5l v6 is an upgraded 3.2 and the 3.7 is an upgraded 3.5.

The 3.2l v6 already gets the same MPG as the accord so if the 3.2l v6 is the accord new v6 engine, then the Tl may get it. They share platforms so why not that brilliant & historic & tried and true 3.2l v6?

-Cj
  • Options
    The TL has both the 3.2 and the 3.5 (TL-S) liter engines. I just don't see the Accord getting the larger of the two engines. The Accord having a larger engine than the base TL, doesn't sound right to me. The TL is due for a redesign soon also, so I guess it is possible, just unlikely.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    you can always go down to the compact segment (Civic, Corolla, etc.) which are about the same size as 5-10 year old mid-sizers. If higher mileage is what you want most, it's easy to get it.

True, you can get the gas mileage but the problem is that you can't get it with luxury features. Neither the Civic nor the Corolla offer leather interiors for example. And so called luxury compact cars don't have gas mileage even close to the Civic. They have high horsepower engines. Why can't someone build a luxury car with good gas mileage. They have to get out of the mentality that all people who want good gas mileage can only afford cheap plastic interiors.

So I'm looking at the Accord 4 cylinder EX-Leather. But I still lose about 5mpg over the civic in both highway and city.
  • Options
    Adding VCM to the 3.2 is not just like adding onions to your Whataburger. They engineered VCM for the newer 3.5. They are moving forward,not backward. You'll be happy w/ the economy and power of the 3.5. VCM adds 2-3 highway mpg and AVTEC adds 2-3 mpg everywhere. That's as much as 6 mpg on the highway!
  • Options
    I actually like the 3.2 V6 better than the 3.5. They just need to add a couple of turbo's to get to power up. I wished they could give us the cylinder cut off technology for like when were in 6th' gear and just cruisin' ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    I don't think they make turbos for the 3.2, but they do make superchargers for them (the 3.0 as well shown here).
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm stating the obvious for many of us here, but that's a 3.0L Accord, not the 3.2L pictured.
  • Options
    You can get a Comptech supercharger for the 3.2 also. 4cyl. Accords have never come with turbos from the factory either, but many have them now. Just saying if the V6 is not enough power, there are alternatives.
  • Options
    The problem is many people like myself don't want supercharger's. I'd rather have a turbo as the total output is greater and it doesn't prematurely wear out a engine. I've driven automobiles with both and I prefer Turbo, over Super, anyday. Sure supercharger's are cheaper but I think Honda, should apply it's new turbo technology from the RDX.

Rocky
  • Options
    The RDX has a 4cyl engine, with a turbo. Not a V6. Sorry. If it was a V6, it would be twin turbo.
  • Options
    The RDX turbo is a gas hog though. If the V-6 gets a few mpg better it will be more powerfull than the RDX and much more efficient. We shall see if it really gains 4-5 mpg. That seams like a lot to me.

I think Honda is speaking in relative terms when they talk about x percent increase in efficiency. I don't think they mean mpg, but mpg in relation to power. In other words the same mpg with more power is more efficient production of power, but not necessarily better gas mileage.
  • Options
    elroy, I know the RDX is a 4-cylinder. I don't see what that has to do with turbo charging a V6. Saab, did it with their V6 and I don't understand why it would be a big deal doing it to a Acura V6 ? If Acura, wants to be competitive with the other leaders with it's 09' TL, it's going to have to do something special IMHO, or be left behind. The 08' Accord sure looks to be something special. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    If the new engine has the new advanced A-Vtec, and VCM it should increase both. The advanced -Vtec system should increase the city mpg, while the VCM will help out with the highway mpg. Some think it will be the 3.5L engine. I think it will be the 3.2L. We're all guessing at this point. I think Honda likes it this way.
  • Options
    I am having trouble wraping my brain around this. I have a 4- cyl (stick) which I consider to be very quick. I consider the current V-6 to be overkill. Now an even more powerfull 3.2l V-6 is not enough and might need a turbo? :surprise:

My Integra went just over 130 mph. My Accord is very noiticably faster. How fast do people need to go? When does it end? 300hp (getting close now) 400hp - sounds absurd, but so did 300hp just a couple of years ago. 500hp? 600hp?

Is the Accord supposed to put NASCAR to shame? :confuse:
  • Options
    I thought this thread was about the 08 Accord, not the TL :confuse: . The 3.2L engine in the current TL already has 258hp. With a more advanced Vtec system they can get the hp in the new Accord up to 265 easy. Then the VCM will improve fuel economy. VCM + turbo doesn't sound like a good combination to me. One kind of defeats the purpose of the other. The Accord V6 has consistantly had 5 less hp than the V6 Altima. I'm thinking that trend will continue.
  • Options
    dudleyr,

Sorry pal, but I for one have owned and driven very powerful automobiles and occassionally do like to break the law when it comes to exceeding those posted signs. I would not own a 4 cylinder unless it had well atleast 220 hp. and my car was light enough. In todays terms 300 hp. is more than enough for most folks. However still many of us want more as it means a lot quicker 0-60 times which are useful in traffic and having the power to take out favorite twisty's with a great suspension can be rewarding. The 270 hp. new Honda Accord, will be more than adequate for most of it's consumers but for the few of us that like Acura, Cadillac, Buick, BMW, Mercedes, today's horsepower numbers are good but a lot is still left to be desired and most automobile manufactors are either meeting or will meet our demands. ;) Acura/Honda, if they want to be a player will have to be competitive in the power department and will have to be different by still giving the consumer the expected fuel economy one expects when buying a Honda/Acura. It seems the Accord, will meet those demands however the bar has been raised to over 300 hp in the ELLPS segment which raises a lot of questions on how and what Acura, will do with the TL, and it's future engines. I personally think a great product would be for Honda, to make a Type-R Accord and turbocharge it. Will a diesel Accord, really sell in enough volume here in the U.S. ???? I guess our questions will be answered soon enough. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    Well sorry I got side tracked on the TL, as yes their is another discussion about the 09' TL. However, it's nice to speculate on the TL, as it is the sister of the Accord, and what happens to the Accord, as far as engine options and new technology, design, features, will ultimately be exceeded by the TL. It likely lays the ground work for the TL.

Well let's just talk about the Accord, then. When is this diesel, suppose to debut in the Accord, or is this just wishful thinking by enthusiast ????

Rocky
  • Options
    I consider the current V-6 to be overkill.

Then guess what? You don't have to buy one. You can get the 4cyl version. The Accord has to stay competitive with the Camry and Altima in the V6 power and fuel economy race. There will always be a 4cyl version of these cars, for those who don't want to join in. I'm satisfied with the current V6, but the Accord has to stay competitive. Know what happens when you decide not to stay competitive? Ask GM, Ford, and Chrysler. :sick:
  • Options
    Then guess what? You don't have to buy one. You can get the 4cyl version. The Accord has to stay competitive with the Camry and Altima in the V6 power and fuel economy race. There will always be a 4cyl version of these cars, for those who don't want to join in. I'm satisfied with the current V6, but the Accord has to stay competitive.

100% agree

Know what happens when you decide not to stay competitive? Ask GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Well you can remove GM, off that list for now as they have shown enough current and future promise on dedication at making better products. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    Maybe GM has got the message now, with the Aura. I'm sure the Malibu will be an improvement also. They must stay competitive. It's a tough segment.
  • Options
    Yep, and the new 08' Accord, looks like it might of just rasied the bar higher ! :surprise:

Rocky
  • Options
    What does hp have to do with being competitive and building the best vehicles? It is one variable - just a silly numbers game. What about handling, reliability, craftsmanship, durability, safety, comfort, feel, ride etc. These are the things that hurt the American car not the HP numbers.

I don't know anybody on this board, but plenty of people I do know put way to much emphasis on hp. There are many that literally think their 250 hp Suburban (300 now) is quicker than any 4- cyl just because of the power. Nevermind the weight, gearing, transmission etc.

If a car gets 300 hp at X rpm and you don't drive at that rpm, then you never get that hp. I also know plenty that fall into this category.

BTW 300 hp and 0-60 in traffic - hope I am not around, and hope the cops are.

The Camry had less hp for years (still does for the 4-cyl) and still outsold the Accord. It is not all about hp just to a few car mags.

I still feel the V-6 is overkill (other are free to feel differently), but I did not say they should not build one, just questioning an overemphasis on hp. I also feel the 4 is plenty quick and should be the mileage champ. Those who want more power can get the 6.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I'm not sure how it "looks like" that when people are only speculating on what might happen, but it's true that usually the new models will bring new features.
This discussion has been closed.