Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    This is a european accord wagon diesel on right. The sedan is known here as the acura tsx. Y can't we get the wagon here?? I think the only reason they didn't sell here way back when was because of the low gas prices and every one's want for an suv. Now that gas is high, i think that bringing the wagon here (again) would be a good idea.
    imageimage

This is what we're missing out on!?! What a shame. It would be selling much better now than it was then... Looks like we've missed our chance . Its funny how evolution changes things :( . I predict that along with the wagon will be the traditional sedan, sporty coupe and (my favorite guess) accord convertible. Honda needs a convertible to steal sales from the bulky Solara, Eclipse Spyder ect. Try squeezing a tall person say 6,3+" into an s2000 let alone 2!

(FYI I took this from my post in the regular accord room because i didn't know this room existed)
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Sorry you don't like them...they are my BABIES! I like the 1998-2002 as well, but the 1996-97 was my favorite model year out of all of them."

The 96-97 Accord's was my fave too! I was in high school when the 96-97 Accord's were new on the market. I like the front end of that generation Accord: its was agressive. See that generation of Accord came to close Chrysler styling at that time.

The 03 Accord's nah not my cup of tea. The 1998-2000's Accord's well their alright.
  • Options
    dingoflashdingoflash Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving Acura Integra car, all three generations of it! I own one CIVIC too. "It is the time for me to buy a new car" but I could not really go for the Awards winning new (civic) too ugly from the back I guess! (4doors only) looks like rushed to finish the car.
    The Accord is showing his age next New Camry!
    TSX cast too much, thinking and comparing it with New Camry!!

So I was wondering about the design of New A C C O R D “?”
    I could certainly stretch two more years for this one. Just sharing with this forum because I search a lot here!
    I don't remember any more in which website i saw it.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    That looks like the next TSX (the Sports4 concept revealed at Geneva). With new MDX getting the headlamp and tail lamp (as well as some of the grill) from the Sports4 concept, I would say that TSX is likely to be the production version of the Sports4. And this should happen late next year as a 2008 model (also a time when Japan gets "Acura" brand).

Accord, which will go for redesign next year, will likely look different. I don't see Camry as making Accord look obsolete. Accord looks sedate, especially with the new taillamp treatment (I liked the 2005 better, not the 2003-2004). But it doesn't look chubby like the Camry. Of course, my preference to cars involves more than pure looks, and that takes me to driving experience. Again, Accord handily wins. As it does in ergonomics and interior appeal (even though it is older design).
  • Options
    The 1st accord was in fall of 76. This is the Accord's 30 anniversary :surprise: and no special edition :(. It'll probably be something big (and hopefully short, powerful efficient & topless ) by fall of this year :P ;) !!

There is a possibility the new accord will be out in the fall! What better day to get something new than your birthday? :P
  • Options
    beatlefredbeatlefred Member Posts: 14
    The pop-up headlights were on the 1986-1989 Accords. I think they were great cars for its time. I really like the body style alot. I had an '87 Accord DX from '95 to '04, it had 210K miles on it and still looked great, but unfortunately, problems started happening with the carburetor and I was not able to get it fixed succesfully. I got tired of throwing good $$ away to mechanics who werent able to fix the carb, and so I decided to buy a new '05 EX-L. No complaints on the '05 except that I have never seen a car that scratches so easily, its annoying! I think the '03-'05 Accords are much more appealing than the previous-gen '98-02's which are boring. I do like the back lights on the '03/'04 better than the '05. They were changed again on the '06, and I'm still undecided whether I like them better or not.

Still miss my '87 though....., they used to be seen so commonly on the road but they really dropped off in the past few years.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I'd like to see VSA standard in all Accord models (not just V6 models). Traction control is an integral part of stability control systems, so this would also provide the four-cylinder models with traction control.
  • Options
    djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    I would like to see that european Accord wagon, with a diesel engine in the United States. That would be a great vehicle. By not offering this vehicle in the U.S., Honda is missing out on a big market. People want a big vehicle and fuel economy. ------ Best regards. ----Dwayne ;)
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Diesel Accord wagon would be my dream vehicle. Honda will never bring it over because it shows that the emperor has no clothes - SUV's are just poor handling, overweight, guzzling wagons that are not very space efficient.

Honda has too much invested in SUV's right now.
  • Options
    jackb78jackb78 Member Posts: 1
    :shades: Hi Chaps, I writing from england here. The Honda Accord Wagon is a beautiful car. I think the Accord Wagon and our new European Civic has totally ripped up the rule book in terms of styling. They look like nothing else on the road. You can see pix link title">here
  • Options
    They call it the accord tourer. I think they'll bring it because of our newly available ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel) which go from 95% sulfer to 5% sulfer thus reducing the black smoke you see from diesel :shades:.

here's some more information one what is suspected to be the next Honda Accord/ Acura TSX.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Maybe they will do a 30th Anniversary Edition. I remember in 1996 they did a 20th Anniversary Edition.

There is a Special Edition for the 2006 model, and it adds a 6 disc CD changer and a few other things. (I forget)
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Special Edition for 2006 adds (to the LX model) 16" Alloys (as seen on EX 4-cyl models), 4-wheel disc brakes, Electronic Brake Distribution, Illuminated steering-wheel cruise/audio controls, and Carbon-fiber-look interior accents.

A lot of features for only $700 extra to the LX's $20,025 (making the Manual Tranny SE MSRP $20,725). Add $800 for Automatic.
  • Options
    accordguy1accordguy1 Member Posts: 13
    Folks, sitting here at work or "holding down the fort" before the 4th. Wanted to give my 2 cents on the current Accord. 1st I own 97 SE Accord with 150K on it. OK here's the thing, the current generation Accord is ugly and souless. Can't Honda bring out the FMC accord earlier...
  • Options
    I have both models that you talk about, a 1996 and a 2006. Trust me, the new Accord is fun to drive relative to its main competition. The steering is quicker vs. the 1994-1997 Accord that you have, the grip is better, brake pedal feel is MUCH sportier/firmer/shorter-in-pedal stroke. It turns in crisply, and understeers predictably like front-drive cars do. I have a 4-cylinder model and felt the balanced handling combined with a sweet engine (arguably one of the best Inline-4s currently in production) made a car that was best for me. Engaging to drive, comfortable to carry 4 people, and gets 36-40 MPG on highway trips. No complaints from me. It's not a VW GTI or a BMW 3 series, but it IS a family car and loaded models go for under $25k.

The other competitors in the mainstream midsize sedan field are either too soft to be fun or are too harsh to be considered by many people. I think the Accord and Fusion are the two best compromises out there currently. Or you can pay through the nose (no "nose" pun intended on the Camry, but the bump on the nose is stylistically unattractive to me) for the new Camry SE.

By soulless I hope you were referring to how engaging it is to drive. Ugly is pure subjectivity, so neither of us is wrong when we differ on our styling ideal.

The Accord, soul-less? Depends on where you think the car's "soul" lies, I guess.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I hope they bring back the red needles on the gauges... much nicer and more practical than the "new, updated, 2006" white-on-ehite design. 2005 models were better IMHO.
  • Options
    I guess by "souless" I mean the Mid Model Refresh was awful. The '05 at least matched. The new '06 looks like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that don't match. Rear end>OK LCD is nice but hello doesn't match the car. Front end> earth to Honda 'still looking for a grill'. Middle> can you say Vanilla. EX 4 cylinder wheels> waste of Alloy what on earth is up with the dual spoke. That's why I'm saying it's souless and need the full model change to happen sooner then later, hopefully in the spring like the Camry.
  • Options
    Grills are like tailfins in my opinion - they serve no purpose since the air comes from below the bumper. While I prefer the look of the the new tailights, I do agree that they don't match the rest of the car as well as the previous ones. I could care less about the alloys. I do prefer the red needles from the older models, don't know why they changed that. I also prefer a yellow turn signal.

The extra hp is nice though, and the price is right - won't be any incentives or VP/SE models when the redesign comes out. The value is definately there right now.
  • Options
    Ok, I agree about the grills but if the tailights don't match the car that is an extremely big part of the look of the car. That's why I'm harping that the redesign should come sooner then later, no amount of value/savings justifys having an "ugly [non-permissible content removed]" on your caboose...
  • Options
    That's why I'm harping that the redesign should come sooner then later, no amount of value/savings justifys having an "ugly [non-permissible content removed]" on your caboose...

Not sure how one "matches" the car and one doesn't, but styling IS purely subjective, and a moot point.
    I think the 2003-2005 Accords seem to "saggy" around th rear, like a Buick Century.

• Options
    master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    At the Auto Show this year in NYC, a Honda representitive said that a new Accord will be available next year in the spring.

On a different topic, why are the smiles different shades of blue? :):D ?
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    A new 2008 model Accord will be probably coming out some time in 2007 and it could be spring, but it would be highly unusual for a Honda representative to give away that kind of information.
  • Options
    you know i asked that question in maybe 5 other rooms... And no respose. I guess its like why the comparator doesn't show pros and cons or dimensions for the 3rd row of seats in vehicles...
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's just you. Adjust your monitor settings, or maybe your monitor is blown?

(Just messin' with ya. Stay tuned and check the Software discussion frequently :))

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    where is that discussion? :confuse:

-Cj
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    I currently own a 2000 Accord EX Sedan. I'm trying to hold off buying a new car until the redesigned 2008 Accords are released. At that time, I will decide between the New Accord and the New Camry.

Does anyone remember if Honda released their Accord in the Spring the last time they did a complete redesign? I'm hoping I don't have to wait until September 2007 for the new version.

Toyota put their New Camry up for sale in March, I'm hoping Honda does the same with the Accord.
  • Options
    jtt1jtt1 Member Posts: 7
    I have no inside knowledge on Honda's plans and I'm pretty sure that last time they released a full redesign it was done in September. However I think in the current market they are forced to release the new Accord asap, based upon the low selling price they are getting for current Accords and the obvious competition from not only the Camry but also Sonata. With all that I am guessing a spring launch is very likely.
  • Options
    Honda has done many releases in June, and some earlier.
  • Options
    on new car test drive, I read that all accords since 1988 have been released on or around my birthday (September 30)!!

I'm almost certain how honda will design the accord. It will grow 3 inches in wheelbase and 2.5 in width. Perhaps 1 inch in length. It will have a 16.2 cubic foot trunk. It will incorporate the 3.3l v6 used in the current Tl to generate around 262hp and 251lb of torque. The 4cyl will be from the Tsx (2.4l) but with 171hp and 152lb ft. Later in 2008, we will have the CTDI diesel engine as an option on all but Dx. It will come again as DX, Lx, Ex and so forth and have Awd optional. SH-AWD is not out of the question.

The taillights will be from the 06 hybrid and modified to be like the 1998-2002 accord. The headlights will be DRLs and have the Hybrids signals in the mirror on all trims but Dx. The accord will use Vws ideas by advertising 180 standard features or more. Going by Honda's pattern, the 1990-1993 and 1998-2002 accord will be used for styling inspiration. A coupe (and hopefully Convertible) model will debut shortly before the CTDI engine option. The hybrid will be a 2.4l hybrid that delivers up to 45mpg with a 17.5-19 gallon tank.

But hey its all based on speculation. :blush: Seemed sooo real right... Anything is possible. :shades:

ps every1 keep your fingers crossed for a convertible accord :). The solara shouldn't be the only japanese midsize convertible that offers a usable rear seat. Why, well the s2000 barely fits 2 let alone a family of 2 with lots of luggage.

-Cj :shades:
  • Options
    rrcolemanrrcoleman Member Posts: 2
    I am a college student in the market for a new vehicle in the future. I drive a 1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport for now - I have test driven most everything (Scion tC - Mazda 3/6 - Volkswagon Passat - Hyundai Azera - and the Honda Accord Coupe) After test driving the Accord I absolutely fell in love...I did some research and these are images of what the next generation Accord may look like based upon the Sport 4 concept - I HOPE THIS IS IT:

http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?t=4352

What do you think?
  • Options
    Those are some really old concept drawings.
    I suppose the new Accord could have some vague and extremely toned-down aspects of that overstyled concept.
  • Options
    Good news. I've heard from the grapevine that honda has recently made 2 new engines... A 3.8l v6 and a 4.0 v8. I'm guessing that SH-AWD and the 3.8l v6 will be in the Acura Tl. The 258hp 3.3l v6 in the current TL will be a great engine for the next accord. The 2.3l turbo4 in the RDX is most likely to make its way to the Tsx.

All is fair in love and war right, looks like hyundai and honda made a trade... Hyundai got the 03-04 accords tail-lamps and the Honda Sports4 got the 06 Sonatas headlamps

The RSX is at the end of its career now and unless honda buys another company, then its gone. mdx will be new for 2007 or 2008. The Rl should be the 1st vehicle to use the 4l v8.

IMO, honda should bring back the prelude (founder of SH-AWD with its is ATTS system) as a hardtop convertible. It should use the 2.3turbo from the RDX and have SH-AWD. The prelude could be built off the accord coupe's platform and use the 6speed manual and 5 manumatic w paddle shifts. :P Hey it sound cool to me.

-Cj :D
  • Options
    O and because this is the accord 30th anniversary, i can almost see honda launching the accord or an accord concept amongst various other hondas at an autoshow thats around September 30th. I hope to see it, a 4 seat (most likely the dreaded 2+2) convertible, an acura with the new 4l v8, the CTDI diesel, and 3.8l v6, a sports coupe, an s2k (s2300 :confuse: ) concept, the actual MDX and a Pilot "concept. I think that a Cl will be there also :D

-Cj :)
  • Options
    honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone think the 2008 Accord styling will go along the lines of the New Civic? I think the new Civic is very "Acura TL" like in it's styling. I could see the Accord going this route only not as sporty as the TL.

I love the styling of the new Civic by the way.
  • Options
    trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    wouldn't doubt it Toyota's look more like a Lexus all the time
  • Options
    smo615smo615 Member Posts: 15
    A recent issue, June or July of Automobile showed a pic of a future Honda concept that looked very much like an Accord. It also had styling similar to the Civic. The windshield extended forward like the civic and it had a small window as part of the front side window like the Civic.
  • Options
    lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    The biggest challenge in the automobile industry is to pick the right type of vehicle for the market- and as someone pointed out, there is about a 3 year development cycle to bring out a major release like the new Accord. And I am not saying that many people won't buy it, but if you travel to Europe and Asia and parts of Latin America (like I do in my job at times) you will see the results of high fuel prices, and maybe (who knows for sure) North American vehicles will see a change to smaller and way more fuel efficient vehicles than even what the Accord is today.

In the U.S. the Honda Accord is either the first or second best selling car- in Japan, it's not even in the top 15- it's considered a luxury car, too expensive for much of the population. But you know, if you go to Europe and see their fleets of small (really small, like the Smart), they still seem to get around OK. But most Americans can't bear the thought of that, they want big cars just with better mileage.
  • Options
    redgagtredgagt Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if this has been posted yet, but saw this today.
    link title
  • Options
    redgagtredgagt Member Posts: 2
    I think it looks a lot like the new civics. As popular as they have been in the showrooms it should be a big hit
  • Options
    ???!!
    Can't you see that they are not pictures of the 2008 Accord? Just photoshopped pics of the current Civic.
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    This ones been killing me for a while. In july, motortrend said that toyota planned to replace the toyota solara with a personal crossover because of falling sales. Then they asked the big question: will honda follow this up by dropping next accord coupe? Let me answere this. Ofcourse NOT! what a stupid question. In case Toyota's wondering why solara isn't selling, it's because the car's plain ugly. They were probably trying to go with radical styling like w/ the new camry. At least the accord coupe looks nice- and like the sedan!
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Was at the dealer yesterday having service done on my wife's '03 Accord EX and overheard the sales manager talking about a hardtop conv. for the coupe in 2008. If Honda did the drop top for the coupe, I bet sales would jump.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • Options
    YYEESSSS!! :D:D:)

-Cj :shades:
  • Options
    orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    >> ...the accord will use VW's ideas by advertising 180 standard features or more...

Uh oh!
    I hope Honda doesn't adopt Volkswagen's :lemon: horrible reliability as standard equipment!
  • Options
    LOL!! Thats what you call comedy!! The 3 things vw does have on Honda is an Available V8, interior style, and a Us diesel. Otherwise, its easily honda.

Btw, I agree! LOL

-Cj :D :P
  • Options
    ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    I'm starting to hunt for a new car targeted to buy in the 08 - 09 model years. I had an Accord about 20 years ago, and am open to buying another one (with fuel costing what it does) but all I can say is that if the new Accord ends up looking like that automotive abortion that is the new Civic sedan, I'll skip it. That car is purely an offense to the eyes. The coupe is tolerable, but the sedan deserves to be nuked.

Now ... if Honda comes out with an Accord along the lines of the Sport concept, I'll probably buy two (sedan and coupe). That is a shape that rocks.
  • Options
    Personally i Doubt the sports concept is the accord. Its much better fitted to be a tsx in every way shape and form. It'd be nice as accord but it won't be an accord, IMO. IMO, the accord will be smaller than the current one with a bigger interior volume -Like the 07 altima- and lower weight. I 'm expecting either a 3.3 or 3.5l v6, a 2.4l I4 and hybrid, and a 2.4l diesel. A sedan and wagon accord and the coupe and convertible are to revive the prelude name. Hopefully ATTS or SH-AWD will be on all accords! This is the accords 30th anniversary so expect a throwback to all styles. Look for it at an American car show (Detroit, LA, NYC).

-Cj :)
  • Options
    techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    I have a 97 accord with close to 200K miles,
    I hope my car can make it until the 2008 coupes come out.
    Any clue if it will be available before the typical November rollout of new accord coupes?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    techman41,

Don't expect anyone outside of the tight-lipped Honda inner circle in Japan to be able to provide such a clue for another year.
This discussion has been closed.