Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I've been offered an 08 Accord LX-P MSRP $22,795.00 for $20,990.00 plus sales tax, title, registration and dealer processing fee of $399.00. Is this a good deal? My wife really likes the Accord after driving Camrys for the last 14 years. Any advice?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    With some research, and only dealing initially via email with Internet Sales Managers, you can probably save around $700 off that price.
  • Options
    mikecoat48mikecoat48 Member Posts: 2
    This is probably a stupid question, but how does someone get the email address of an internet sales manager?
  • Options
    junglemanjungleman Member Posts: 1
    One way is to go to www.honda.com and look for a dealer in a specfic zip. Then request a quote via that site. Your quote request will go to the internet dept at that dealership. Alternatively, this info may also be at the dealers website.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Most dealerships offer online quotes through their websites. Those requests are usually routed to the internet sales manager(s). Once they respond back to you, you'll have their direct email info.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd sign after they waived the processing ($399! :surprise: )fee.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    How are you going to break that news to your friends at work, mackabee?!!
    I am assuming this quote is on an automatic. You could get a couple of hundred down. Also, I would try to get out of the $399 processing fee unless that is customary where you live and no way out of it.
  • Options
    iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    I went a few months ago, they didn't have any V6 on the lot. Sales person was kind of pushy. They keep calling and emailing although I expressed clearly to them that I am not buying until Spring. That's why I haven't gone back lately. I may go to a dealership in another city when I go to do some Christmas shopping. My experience was just a turn off, I was kind of disappointed since I purchased my current honda from them (I though that salesman has moved away). I do want to see first hand the interior. My daughter is sold on the polished metal (although she isn't even old enough to drive yet. :)
  • Options
    rockdoctor1rockdoctor1 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Sir.
    Just above the fuel door is one two-tone appearance. Towards the front is reflection that you often see. There is ample metal flake in the paint like between the fuel and tail. The posting problems were apparently file size related, and the posted pic makes the point harder to get across. Maybe save the pic and zoom on in offline...
    There are so many things I like about this car that you don't see being talked about. I didn't consider the I4, but the 270W stereo makes the cockpit/cabin like a studio. It's like the Anti-Road Noise feature. Too many buttons...sheesh. I love them, and they all illuminate, including the ones steering wheel, which the 3 left ones can do the same thing as half the dash ones. I couldn't justify the NAVI, but the display screen is way more impressive than the pics I've seen.
    It looks like some folks are having trouble finding them. I ordered mine Sep 15. Chad called me Sep 18 to say they're building it Sep 25-28. Called Sep 27 saying it is in a transfer lot to expect it in the next 10 days. Called Oct 4 to come pick it up. Been lovin' the ride...
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    NP. And I happened to see the first coupe on the road yesterday. It was red and looked sharp.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I have never been a student of every automotive journal / web site. I've relied on Edmunds and its partners to give me most of my info. However, after reading review after review of all the new cars, suv's, cross-overs etc., I'm dissatisfied. It seems that every new review is generally favorable. The full reviews and long term tests seem to be more critical. But, you often have to read between the lines to figure out the real story. I'd prefer they just come out and say it.

Can anyone give me an idea of what is the most brutally honest reviewing organization? Perhaps it is Consumer Reports?
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    One note on the "internet sales manager": a lot of dealers don't cooperate. I emailed 3 dealers today. All 3 emailed me back similarly: thanks, introductions, yes we have what you're looking for, and then either "please call us at" or "we'll be contacting you soon". None provided the requested quote. I'm sure at least one of them has called my house by now. I think many don't want to provide quotes via email because they don't want you taking their quote elsewhere to try and do better and/or they want you to come in so they can size you up and use all their sales tactics.
    Anybody else have this problem and if so how did you handle? Respond to email saying I won't come in without a quote?
  • Options
    gotoyotagotoyota Member Posts: 280
    bug4...I am not an expert but I have spent a considerable amount of time reading automotive journals since I was about 8 yrs old (I am 35 now). Autoweek, C&D, R&T, MT, Wards Automotive, you name it, I have or have had a subscription and spent countless hours reading and digesting automotive info. I don't think there is an automotive journal out there that tells the whole story like you would get from someone who actually owns and drives a car for years. I used to buy based on the expert recommendations and found that the total ownership experience was sometimes lacking even though a certain car was heralded as the best thing ever, so now I read the journals, taking what they say with a grain of salt. It's good to temper anything you read in the mainstream automotive press with actual owner feedback, whether you get that here in the forums or from CR, or both, as you will have to live with the car and pay for maintenance and repairs. C&D has done long term tests on select vehicles, so you might find that helpful. The problem with the automotive press is that they don't live with these cars - they just review them based on a few hours or days of testing. That's good info, but it doesn't tell you what real life is like with that car. All the reviewers have bias, as well, and their bias might not be the same as yours. So ultimately, you have to do the homework, sift out the substance from the BS and decide what car attributes matter most to you and your lifestyle and decide from there. CR is a great place to get stuff like repair frequency and trouble areas. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    tttbonetttbone Member Posts: 3
    I leased an 08 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan(no navi) for $385 a month for 48 months with $1000.00 down to cover plate transfer and first month which came out to $550. The remaining $450 disappears into their pockets the way I see it. I got a figure that states that the dealer is getting this model for $25,500.00. I have excellent credit so when I did the calculations I find that the dealer made $2,300.00 off of me. I didn't know they get the car for that cheap. The form I filled out said they get it for $27,000. I am in New York. Does anyone know if I got scammed for that much? It pisses me off the way leasing works. Anyone know if dealers are getting this model for that much? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    2008 Honda Accord
    EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

MSRP... Invoice (excludes destination charge)
    $28,060 $25,416

Copied from Edmunds.com
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Thanks - that does help . . it heightens my frustration. . but it helps :) It sometimes seems that the only thing you can reliably get is the reliability data, itself. :D I am with you on over-all ownership satisfaction. Many of my opinions don't jive with those of the experts. More often than I can explain, I find their observations to be absolutely wrong. Frankly, it is as if they take the pre-approved and pre-formatted car review, fill in the blanks and turn it into the editor. The good ones are just more witty or humorous -- not more informative. [Did you see Inside-Line's comparison of the Corvette and the Viper (about one month ago) --that had some funny one-liners!!!].

Anyway- thanks for the input. I'll stop reading these articles for information and just start reading for enjoyment! :P
  • Options
    I didn't include the destination fee. They say it's $695.00. Is that a real charge to scam you or do they really have to pay that?
  • Options
    Destination charge is a VERY real charge, and is applied to EVERY vehicle on EVERY dealer lot. It's not bogus, although document fees are bogus.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They usually list the price you agree to, not the price they paid. If they said their invoice prices was $27,000 and that they were leasing it to you for what they paid, then they were lying.
    48 months is also a long time to lease a car.
  • Options
    Thanks to thegraduate and thanks to jaxs1. After configuring I see that the dealer made $1400.00 off of me. I think I still got scammed for atleast $400.00. I'm gonna try to end the lease after 3 years by trading key for key. If I can't it's not too bad because the vehicle is nice under the hood and the outside too. I'll be more prepared next time. Thanks people.
  • Options
    The $399.00 is normal around here. From what they tell me this price is something like $44 dollars over invoice. This seems to be a very good price as it includes the destination charge and there are no dealer added options. I'm going to one more Honda dealer and see what they will do. Sales are very slow around here and we just had a Honda mega store open nearby and they are giving cars away. I'll see if they waive the processing fee or show it on the contract but reduce the price of the car.
    Mack
  • Options
    dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    A well thought out response. You'd be hard pressed to pick up an automotive journal that would come right out and say "Brand X which we are reviewing today is one vehicle we would advise all motorist to stay away from." I'm not sure if it was a rumor or actually happened, but I heard that GM pulled advertising from Car & Driver in the 70's or 80's because of unfavorable Cadillac reviews. I spent the last 4 years driving a Ford Taurus with a 200HP V6 that averaged 24MPG over the 48,000 miles I put on it. This car would barely receive a mention in any car magazine in 2003 when it was produced and yet during that time it never failed me once. My son is driving it now so I have occasion to sit in it now and then and I'm amazed that I made some of the long distance trips in those seats. Compared to my Accord the seats are like marshmallows, no real support at all. So hear we have a car that would be ignored by most yet I was quite content with. My real amazement is that it only cost me $17,900. Talk about value! Now I'm really impressed and pleased with my new Accord and I guess I should be when you consider it cost 50% than the Taurus! If you approach a new purchase with an open mind, some insight from the press, friends and family, throw in a few test drives and you will make an informed purchase, only time will tell how pleased you are with your decision, but with those guides in mind it's doubtful that you'll be disappointed. Most cars that compete with the Accord are fine automobiles and it really comes down to personal preference. My rambling is just about over except for one thing: Put yourself in the position of those reviewing the 70's and 80's Cadillacs and tell me how the hell could you write a positive review!
  • Options
    Ok, so $1400.00 of profit for the dealership is about average for new cars. Taking that figure let's say the dealership puts a pack of $200.00 (and I'm being conservative here it could be more). That leaves $1200.00 front end gross. Your salesperson probably got paid $300 if it was 25% commission or $240.00 if it was 20% commission depending on the stores pay plan. If the pack is higher than $200.00 which it's totally conceivable (my store has a $400.00 pack on new $650.00 used) then he might get lucky and get $200.00. Worst case $100.00 minimum. Again depending on the stores pay plan he might get a higher percentage for doing a lease. I worked at a store once that paid 30% on all leases. Next is the "back end gross" since you leased the back end gross is probably more than the front. He might get a percentage of that if he reaches a certain number of sales by the end of the month. So you pay a little more upfront to get a lower monthly payment. What would the payment have been on a 60 month loan?
    Mackabee
  • Options
    nkvnkv Member Posts: 24
    You just have to tell them that you want a quote via the internet. They may ask you what you want specifically in terms of color and trim and options. I did not have any difficulty getting quotes this way although I did get some that were MSRP. If they want your business and understand that you are a knowledgeable consumer, they will respond appropriately.
  • Options
    I spent the last 4 years driving a Ford Taurus with a 200HP V6 that averaged 24MPG over the 48,000 miles I put on it. This car would barely receive a mention in any car magazine in 2003 when it was produced and yet during that time it never failed me once.

The problem is, car magazines that wrote articles based on stories like yours wouldn't sell, outside of consumer reports' type magazines. Other than being 4-doors and 4-wheels, the old Taurus was pretty average relative to the competition. Build quality that was so-so, decent power, decent dynamics, decent ride, lots of cost cutting, but a very safe vehicle. Unfortunately, magazines like vehicles to stand out; I remember a Motor Trend test where they tested the 02 Impala, Camry, Accord, Taurus, and Altima. The Accord stood out for being so well built. The Altima stood out for its great powertrain, etc...

The old Taurus was a very average car in its twilight years. If you look up "car" (nothing more, nothing less) in the dictionary, I think the Taurus would be the picture chosen, as it was the most average "car" that has existed this side of the 21st century, in my personal opinion. It wasn't a bad vehicle at all, but not a standout vehicle in any way.
  • Options
    It was as average as average gets. If it wasn't for its mass or place it occupied in physical space I sometimes felt people would drive right thru me. It truly was a car that begged to be ignored. But with leather, automatic climate control, moonroof, 6 disc cd player, adjustable pedals (a big plus for me @ 5'4") and an in my driveway price of $17,900 it left a lot of cash in my pocket to actually drive it somewhere. Now the driving experience getting to that somewhere was pretty much forgettable. I may have paid 50% more for the Accord but it feels like I've moved up 75% or more in overall pleasure to drive. The new Accord does leisurely travel well and if you want to remind yourself that you paid that extra cash for the V6 it has all the scoot I need in a family sedan. Add that to the tactile feel of the controls, the classy not flashy interior and all the passenger room it has it more often than not feels like more car than I paid for. Unlike previous Accords which were always noted for their mechanical prowess but never called out for being attractively designed, this new Accord makes enough of a fashion statement, like it or not, that it will be noticed on the road, unlike my old Taurus or even the new Taurus, which once again seemed to go out of its way to stress bland automotive design.
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    So you're saying $1,400 is too much for the dealer to make? You bought a new, redesigned model early in the model year; of course dealers are going to make more off the early buyers. I know some might find this hard to believe, but auto dealers really do need to make a profit or they wouldn't be able to stay in business.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i noticed that nobody has mentioned the dealer holdback. even if a dealer sells/leases an accord at invoice pricing...don't they still get a 3% holdback based on the msrp of the accord? in other words an accord with an msrp of 30k minimally nets the dealer 900 bucks, right? anyone wanna jump in on this?
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Last I read about it, dealers get it regardless of the price. So, it may not be based off MSRP, but whatever the car is sold for.
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    honda site says that accord coupe has remote fuel filler door release.does anyone know which button do i have to press to make that work?so far i am using the manual way which is on the floor near trunk release.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    That is the remote door release. ;)
  • Options
    It's as elroy said. You have that release as opposed to the way some cars are where you just pull the flap open.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I have a feeling that Honda made alot of Polished metal models of the accord! I have seen alot of them! It looks nice, and thought of getting that color, but to be like every other new 08... no thanks. I want mine to be unique. Its going to be hard to pick a color if I pick a sedan. I seen a white one yesterday, and I am not sure I like the white. It had tinted windows. It didn't just jump out at me, and make me want it. The only color that looks really nice is the black. The rest are so reserved.

But, I am seeing more of them on the road. Slowly. I'll have to trade my lease this Spring, as I am getting close to my mileage on my lease. Should I get the coupe? if I want more pizazz? Can I fit a whole family in a coupe, If we happen to need it for a florida trip?? 4 adults, 1 little sister.
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    You've touched on one of the major problems with the Accord sedan: they're ubiquitous! You see so many of them that they just don't stand out.

Realize that there are two whites: Taffetta, which is "white", and Diamond Pearl, which is more "creamy".

I personally wouldn't recommend a coupe for a car that will be frequently used as a "family car".
  • Options
    uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    Long trip with 4 adults will be hard for a coupe. A trunk space is also very small compare to a sedan.
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    The Polished Metal color is an excellent color for the Accord. I've always like darker colors, but silver has been my choice for the past few cars. However, I don't like the 2008 Accord in silver. Polished Metal would be my choice, even if it's in the majority. Interestingly, we live in a metro area of around 150K population, and I've only seen two or three new 2008 Accords in the metro area since its introduction.

As to an earlier poster's comment on salesperson's new car commissions . . . many new car dealers pay a flat sales commission on new cars, typically $125 to $175 per new unit sold. I sold cars in between jobs a fews years ago, and I think every consumer - at least those who buy cars - should be a car salesperson for a couple of months. It's not an easy way to make money, as the "average salesperson" has to really work to make a living. And, it would teach everyone humility. Think of how much time you spend with one specific salesperson before you finally decide to buy that new car . . . and, he or she will only make an average of $150 on the sale. Car salespersons don't make much money selling new cars, rather used cars is where the money is made.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    We love our polished metal. After 2 straight silver cars we really wanted something brighter but Honda's sedan (especially LX) color choices are so limited. Would have loved the bright red from the coupe!

08 Accords are still pretty rare up here but that will change. Mine gets a LOT of compliments. :)
  • Options
    oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    We bought the PMM also. I like it. We were deciding between that and the dark blue. I probably would have chosen the Diamond White or the Mystic Green, but my wife ruled out those colors. I guess I'm not that picky because I like all but the silver and gold.

I read about people complaining about the blandness of the Accord color choices. Remember though, it is that perceived blandness that allows the car to not look so dated in 5-10 years.

Remember when Chrysler offered the PT Cruiser in that freaky purple. Sure it looked kind of neat on the lot, but after seeing it for a year or so... you start wondering what hallucinogen someone at Chrysler was on when they chose that color. OTOH, if you only keep you cars for a couple years, those non-traditional colors become more acceptable.
  • Options
    carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    Allow me to preface my comments saying that I LOVE Hondas. I've owned 5 Honda cars since 1999. I've never had an ounce of mechanical trouble with any of them. I currently drive an '06 Ridgeline and my wife drove an '04 Accord until recently. Ok- have I convinced you that I'm a fan of Honda?

Today I had my first opportunity to ride in an '08 Accord EX sedan (4cylinder). While the experts seem to agree that the sedan's exterior is over styled (too many creases everywhere, very busy and not at all original), I was shocked at how bland and unattractive the interior is on the new Accord. In my opinion, our '04 Accord EXLV6 had the best looking interior of any Honda ever produced. It was well put together, extremely straightfoward, attractive, simple elegance. So I was expecting the successor to improve on near perfection. Just the opposite- everything that was polished chrome in the old car is now an unattractive gray plastic. The center stack's sea of buttons is plain silly and overdone. This car's interior was gray, a dismal battleship gray that was everywhere with nothing to accent the dominant color. I preferred the larger center-mounted speedometer on the previous generation vs. the equally-sized tach/speedometer (who looks at a tach on an automatic?).

Maybe the interior looks better in beige but I doubt it. Sorry if I offended any '08 Accord owners. You have a car that will serve you well for as long as you wish. I'm just so disappointed that Honda didn't do a better job with this new generation. Heck, in my opinion, the new Malibu's design is head over heels superior to the Accord. Granted, it probably won't last as long but it sure looks like a winner for a resurgent GM.

I cannot believe I just said that.....for me, maybe I'll go shopping for a used '07 Accord V6 coupe or upgrade to a new TL before Honda's designers get their hands on that car too.
  • Options
    getmeanewcargetmeanewcar Member Posts: 26
    I like the new design of accord coupe.. 2008. I am considering it as my next car.
    But one only thing I doubt about is if the gap between the front hood and the front bumper on the front side was intentional gap or incomplete finalizing?

Does anyone notice it? It is only problem that holds me back running to the honda dealer right away.
  • Options
    While my new Accord proved to be up to the task of maintaining good traction and overall control in our recent 10" snow storm my ability to see was hampered by what I see as a design flaw. Cleaning my windshield in good weather I noticed that the "A" pillars are not flush with the windshield itself, something I thought was odd as my 2 previous cars were flush. Driving home yesterday in a driving 2" an hour snow storm as the drivers side wiper blade would wipe the snow it accumulated in the ridge provided by the non-flush pillar. I had to stop 3 times during my 8 mile commute to remove the snow from that area as it would accumulate from the drivers side A pillar and continue to cross the windshield left to right until it was actually starting to inhibit my forward vision. If it were flush with the glass there would be no chance for the snow to build up in that ridge. To those that have complained about to much road noise at interstate speeds I would think that this non flush frontal area of glass could also be a source of some of that noise. Just hypothesizing about the wind noise but the snow build up that resides their is and will continue to be a problem as it is inherit in the design and can't be fixed by any recall.
  • Options
    I also dealt with the new england snow yesterday in my new 08 and while I did notice that snow built up along the dside Apillar, it certainly wasn't more then I've ever had it do in every other car I've owned. I don't think anyone makes a perfectly flush windshield-to-Apillar, presumably there's and engineering reason for that.

With the snow tires, my LX was a tank on the very slippery roads. Very pleased.
  • Options
    No snow tires just the stock Michelin All Seasons that came on the car, which people I work with tell me are the same tire Hyundai has on the up-level Sonatas and after last winter they both replaced them rather than go thru another winter. While I wouldn't say my car was tank-like in its traction I found it equal to if not superior to any FWD vehicle I've ever driven and I've been driving FWD cars in NE since 1981 without snow tires. Is Honda's tractions control superior to other mfg's?
    Do you have a separate set of rims to mount your snow tires on? Do you have snows on all 4 corners? Just curious because I felt pretty confident with the all seasons but I can just imagine the sense of security a set of snows would bring to the driving experience.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...don't they still get a 3% holdback based on the msrp of the accord? in other words an accord with an msrp of 30k minimally nets the dealer 900 bucks, right? anyone wanna jump in on this?

There have been numerous discussions on holdback with not all people agreeing on it.

IMHO, holdback is not profit. I consider it to be more of a rebate. Although the dealer gets the holdback when the car is sold, keep in mind that the dealer had to pay that holdback as part of their purchase price. Essentially, they get their own money back.
  • Options
    All 4 corners.

On my past 3 cars I have had a second set of wheels (steel) with the snows I cold just swap them myself. But with the TPMS on the Accord I just bought snows and had them swapped onto the stock LX wheels.

I'm hoping to find & buy a set of 17" Alloy takeoffs with TPMS sensors included at some point and put summer tires on them. THen I can swap them myself, have the stock LX steelies with hubcaps for winter, and nice alloys for summer.

Not sure if the TC is "better" I have been impressed with it though.
  • Options
    in 2007 i remember they released new slightly redesigned version of accord, so i thought it would be the next generation after the 2003 accord, but 2008, months after the 2007 model had come out, they released another concept in less than a year.. with totally different look from both 2003 and 2007.

Is it possible car companies change their design in a year? Why did they release the 2007 model before they started selling the whole new 2008 designs? I own 2004 accord sedan and am thinking of changing my car to 2008 coupe. I really like honda cars but one thing I pointed out of the honda coupe is the gap between the frontal hood and bumper.

please anybody tell me what happened to Honda accord with the 2007 and 2008 models... :-)

Because they changed the model too soon, i feel like they too hurried to redesign the 2007 upgraded to 2008 model, so I feel like there are things that are not completely well-finished.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The 07 Accord is basically the same as the 03 model. There were only cosmetic changes made from 03 to 07. The 08 is a completely new design, and the normal 5 year redesign cycle. The 03 - 07 Accords are all 7th generation. The 08 Accord started the 8th generation.
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I'm not recalling any changes from 2006 to 2007. What changes are you referring to? :confuse:
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    They did a face lift on the 06-07 models, thats it. The rear end redone, and they modified the font a little bit. It was simply to keep people interested in the accord. Nothing that big. They are constantly working on designs for the models, so I would imagine that they worked on the 08 redesign for quite some time. I have the 06 Accord.
  • Options
    I thought these were the new designs.
    --------------

actually at first they came out with this look in 2003-2004
    ------------

and then they upgraded it with refreshed tail lights in 2005

So I thought the first two pictures were supposed to be the next generation because they looked quite different from 2006 models.
    And now i see it was just part of cosmetic change.
This discussion has been closed.