Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    May I ask for your sources? I believe you, i'd just like to see the articles these came from, especially since my 2006 Accord Automatic Sedan (166hp) ran 0-60 in 8.1 seconds in Car and Driver, vs. 9.1 sec for the new coupe.
  • Options
    dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    The November Road & Track had the MTX V6 Coupe @ 5.9 sec to 60.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    The figures are trimmed to one decimal place from the Performance section, a bit over halfway down this page Grad:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=2008&make=Honda&model=Ac- - - cord&trimid=106150

There's no indication as to which organization did the testing though. It was handy since 0-60 times for three configurations are listed in one place. I'll forever believe that 0-60 speeds are mental masturbation for anything under a second or two difference between two vehicles. They mean nothing in anyone's day-to-day driving experience.
  • Options
    ckubackuba Member Posts: 2
    i have a 08 green ex no leather, 190 hp, sticker $24495 with 180 miles-- one month old---
    i have the same problem with FLICKERING HEADLIGHTS for no apparent reason.This is very annoying in general.
    I believe it to be the electric load on the car .I have had this flicker on the highway doing 60 and coming to a stop at 10-20 mph . If i didnt know better i would think that there could be too great of an( electric) load , at shifting points in the tranny but i dont know if any electronics are tied to the trans or not .At this writing 12/20/07 i have not had it to the dealer YET !!!!! but I'am pissed. Who test drives a new car at night???? how would you know about this problem, you cant feel the electric load??
    Buyers beware---------
  • Options
    khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    No such problem with my month old Accord Coupe EX L V6 MT.
  • Options
    Message #'s 3997 & 3998 in this forum also mention this condition. My 08 V6 Sedan does not exhibit any flickering so it does seem to be limited to 4 cyl models. You may want to try to contact the posters of the messages I mentioned and see if they ever found any solution to this problem.
  • Options
    jans57jans57 Member Posts: 7
    Several weeks ago I posted a message concerning engine noise coming from my new 08 Accord. It was a ticking sound and very apparent even when we were driving. Seemed to be connected to accelerator as when you accelerated, the noise become more noticeable. Called Honda, didn't have much luck, took it to the dealer and finally after they called Honda and we called again,too, they suggested that we have a whole new head installed. It took care of the problem and engine is "purring" now. But, I am very aggravated that we got a new car and there was a problem with the engine. This is my 4th Honda Accord--all have been perfect--and I really like the performance and looks of this one. Local dealer sent the old head into Honda, but we haven't heard just exactly what the problem was. So, did we get a :lemon: ? Hope not.
  • Options
    Just curious 4Cyl or 6?
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    No lemon because your car was fixed under warranty.
  • Options
    rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    Does the LX-P have manual lumbar support?

No, it does not. :(
  • Options
    krwolff76krwolff76 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same noise from my accord. The dealer told me it is coming from the door handles and that there is no fix for it. They said it is a characteristic of the car. I am also having an issue where the headlights are flickering when the temperature control is on. It happens about every 20-30 seconds when the pump cycles on. They also told me this is normal and no fix. Yeah right. I've never had this with any car I have owned. Anyone else have these issues. If so, please contact Honda and lets gets them to address it and fix it.
  • Options
    Anyone out there having issues with their 08 accord sedans? I have wind noise coming from the outside by the side pillars at 60mph and above. Honda looked at it and told me it was the door handles and that there is no fix for it. They said it was an unfortunate characteristic of the car. My headlights also dim / flicker at night when driving with the temperature control / AC unit on. This happens about every 20-30 seconds when the pump turns on. Very annoying. Honda also told me this was a an unfortunate characteristic of the car and not fix able. If you have these issues get your accord to the dealer and demand that Honda looks into it. At this point they are turning their back on me and not standing by their product. I am very disappointed in them. Not what was expected from Honda. Please post a reply for me.
  • Options
    Lights have flickered on any Honda I've ever driven when the A/C kicks on; and Hondas are pretty well known for being noisier than other vehicles. That's all I can tell ya at this point. Sorry!
  • Options
    rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    What information is viewed on the display in non nav models? Is the display in color?
    Do nav models have a trip computer? Is there a miles to empty indicator?
  • Options
    oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    Question #3 yes
    Question #4 yes
  • Options
    Ha, I'll field question 1 and 2...

1 - Mainly stereo and climate control info (climate info in Leather models).

2-The display is dark blue and white. Not really in color.
  • Options
    jrivrjrivr Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to decide between a 2008 G37S and a 2008 manual v6 accord coupe. This will be my first new car. The criteria that I am making a decision on are:
    1. Reliability
    2. Performance
    3. Safety
    Meaning that I intend on keeping this car for 8-10 years. I come from owning a honda civic for 12 years with no major problems. I am also concerned about a rear wheel drive in snow, I am used to front wheel drive and I will be living in Cali for the next few years but beyond that I do not know where I will live. So with this criteria what is everyone's thoughts on this? Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    Option costs on the Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT will probably make it cost about $10K to $12K more than the Accord V6 6MT Coupe. Judging by the Infiniti's options list, they are intended for different markets.

You probably couldn't go too far wrong with either brand when it comes to reliability, performance and safety. The Honda will probably return a larger percentage of its original value when you eventually sell it.
  • Options
    bobeng1bobeng1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an Accord '08 coupe after having all intentions of buying the Infiniti G37. For me, the deciding factor was interior space, I'm 6'1" but sit like a 6'4" person, thanks to along torso. I had to find a Infiniti G37 without a sunroof in order to avoid scraping the roof, and it stil felt cramped. As soon as I sat in the Honda Accord coupe with plenty of headspace even with a sunroof and test drove it, I bought it the same day, after several visits to Infiniti dealers and test driving G37 and G35s. The rear seats on the Accord Cpe will actually fit adults comfortably, and I've lugged 6' shelves home with the fold down seats with plenty of room to spare. So if you're on the tall side and willing to trade off style points anf hp of the G37 for more space / comfort / practicality and $10K in savings, go for the Accord Coupe. ps. got the EXL coupe, AT, 4 cyl, leather seats for about $26 K ($600 under MRSP) back in Oct when the coupes were just becoming available in SoCal.
  • Options
    st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    My new accord exl also has flickering headlights..took it to dealer who said it was normal..no its not..honda district service manager will see car on Jan 3rd..this is not a normal operation and I really feel if you have the problem call American Honda in Ca.
  • Options
    I guess your flickering is more severe than mine. Any vehicle I remember has a slightly noticeable dimming when the A/C first kicks on.

From listening to posts it is hard to tell just how much the lights dim for you guys.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...The criteria that I am making a decision on are:
    1. Reliability
    2. Performance
    3. Safety

Previous posters show meaningful additional criteria for you to consider.

Two years back, I faced the same dilemma......... with slightly differing criteria.

My AV6 6M was 25.5 with all the left coast taxes, fees and such. I calc'd close to 40k for the G35 coupe 6M.

Beauty - as I'm sure you realize - is in the eyes of the beholder. The big, clunky synchro-intensive shift 'style' of the Infiniti versus the really well defined shift gate, easy triple cone synchros and resulting 'snick-snick' did it for me,

$15k buys a lot of Crown Royal. Good luck in your decision making.

best, ez....
  • Options
    apple47apple47 Member Posts: 8
    I also had considered the 2008 G37s. Then I saw some Road & Track statistics from a few months ago that convinced me that the huge cost difference between the Accord V6 MT and the G37s probably wouldn't be worth the only marginally better performance numbers in day-to-day driving IMO.

G37s compared to the BMW 335i:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0807_335i_vs_G37S.pdf

Accord coupe V6 MT
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/1107_rt_dp_accordCoupe.pdf

btw, I've had my coupe V6 MT for almost a week now. Amazing car with almost one week of reliability :) My previous 14 year old Accord coupe was very reliable, however.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I really like the coupe, but my only issue is that on occasion, I have my whole family in the car, especially on vacation, I am wondering if 5 people can sit comfortable in the 08 coupe? I am fine with the sedan, but the coupe, looks like alot of fun.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The coupe would no doubt be less comfortable for the rear seat passengers. So what is more important? The comfort of the passengers, or the car's looks? If you decide on the coupe, I hope, for your passenger's sake, it's a short drive to the vacation spot.
  • Options
    jans57jans57 Member Posts: 7
    The 08 Honda with engine noise that has been repaired was a 6 cylinder.
  • Options
    I guess you read my post as well. My dealership is basically turning their back on me and saying there is nothing they can do for the car. Same with the Honda Customer service here in CA. I am not happy with it and want it fixed. Do you also have a significant wind noise coming from the door handles at 60+? Let me know what happens on the 3rd if you would.

Ken
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I know very little about the electrical system in a car . . but. I've noticed that the battery in my 08 EX-L is 1/2 as big as a normal battery. Could this small battery be less able to handle the load from the cycling A/C compressor? Could the flickering light problem be resolved/improved by installing a larger battery?
  • Options
    Your charging system (alternator) should be shouldering that load, not your battery.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Bug4, don't be worried, unless it seems too be flickering really heavy, where it gets really dark flickers. I have the same type of effect on my 06 SE, it is simply cycling through the fan. but the flicker is not really noticeable, but it is there, it has done it since new. Yes, my car, has a relatively small batter too, but remember the engines these days are more efficient, and don't need a huge battery, plus, smaller batteries can carry a larger load. I only notice it, when my headlights are on. Try not too worry, but if it does flicker real heavy, than you've got problems.

It is your engine's cooling system, fan, if you stand outside, you'll hear it cycle.
  • Options
    misocarmisocar Member Posts: 9
    The Accord definitely has more wind noise and road noise than its competitors. I have a EXL-V6 and I love the exterior style and the high quality interior. The engine performance is smooth and strong but it does not seem to have the raw power of the 268 hp engine in the Camry V6 or the Avalon, even though the specs (hp and torque) are identical. Honda 4 cyclinders are known for high revs but you really need to floor the V6 to get the revs up and the get the full power. Handling is quite good, although the ride is a bit busy as every bump seems to be picked up. Others have complained about VCM but I'd have to say that its barely noticeable, and I think I am a fairly sensitive driver. But, most reviews show only about a + 1 mpg advantage vs the main competitors so the marketing hype is a bit over the top. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the car, but I continue to be disappointed that a company known for its engineering and technology can't seem to make a quiet car. Honda's marketing of Active Noise Cancellation is also a joke since the car is louder than its competitors.
  • Options
    I have a EXL-V6 and have driven about 3500 miles. As time goes by I have noticed that the car seems to wallow alot over bumps - particularly when I first start out in the morning. The suspension appears to "tighten up" after driving for a few minutes. Does this make sense? Is there some type of fluid mechanism that needs to warm up and/or flow through the system?

In general the ride of the Accord is a bit "busy" - it's not harsh and its not boaty, but every little road imperfection is noted. This, combined with the high amount of road noise and wind noise (particularly at speeds above 60 mph) give a overall ride feel that's a bit disappointing, considering the overall level of style, power, and comfort that the car possesses. I've read dozens of reviews of the Accord and am very surprised that there isn't more written about the noise. Have others experienced high noise?
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    interesting observations...i kinda noticed the same thing. a couple days ago i test drove an ex-l v6 sedan and was somewhat underwhelmed with the performance. not nearly as punchy as my g35, athough that's probably not a fair comparison. anway, am thinking about getting a coupe v6 AT this spring and i hope it has a little more urgency to the acceleration! has anyone driven a v6 sedan and coupe back to back? wondering about any observations you had about performance differences between the two...thanks.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I think the active noise cancellation refers to the VCM activation/de-activation and the noise created by the imbalance, not the road noise.
  • Options
    I have the v6 exl also, have not noticed an unusually high wind/road noise. However, I remeber seeing a post regarding someone else having to take their car back to the dealership for some adjustment (grill or side mirror, can't recall) that apparently fixed the problem. Do a quick search or maybe someone with better info will respond soon.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    VCM is only on V6 sedans.
  • Options
    Correct. "misocar" has a V6 and commenting on the noise cancelling.
  • Options
    carguy61carguy61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a very similar sound, but it is coming from the trunk/rear deck area of a new 08 Accord Coupe. Creak comes on at low speeds (mostly from rest to 5-10 mph) when the car undergoes a shift in weight going left or right. It seems as the car flexes along its long axis I hear it. It also sounds like metal on metal or plastic...like old wooden floors). At highway speeds it's not noticeable. Car was just built on the 22nd of Dec. Will be taking it in this week.
  • Options
    rich123rich123 Member Posts: 31
    Car is 3 months old today. I have 5000 miles and the oil life reads at 60%. At the end of January I will have 7500 miles. Some people say Honda reccomends that the original oil stay in there till the indicator is down to 5 or 10%. I dont like to go past 4 months or 7500 miles. Perhaps I should change it at the end of 4 months even if the oil life indicator is still at 20% or more.
    The car runs very nice. This is my 3rd accord. I have road noise as many have mentioned but no more than Honda is known for. For the person who mentioned active noise cancellation. It is not just for the 6 cyl VCM, because on my 4cyl it is listed on the factory sticker. I suspect it may work like noise cancelling headphone technology in the cab of the vehicle. There is a small multi hole area between the sunroof controls. This may be a pick up for ANC or automatic volume control in the sound system. I do not know and these are just guesses.
    I do have one complaint. It is cold here and I use the heater a lot. The entire plastic face plate of the radio ( not the digital display) and heater/cooler controls area periodicaly go snap crackel and pop. You can tell that it is heat expansion and contraction going on. I have an hour commute so you would think that it would get warm enough and stop, but it does not. I can push various areas of the face plate and hear the same noises lilke it was not set properly. It will be interesting to see if it reacts the same way in the summer when I run the air. It will be quiet for 15 minutes then go thru its crackels. Rinse and repeat 15 minutes later. Anyone else get this?
    Excellent forum by the way. Thanks for everyones contributions. I have learned a great deal here.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed occasional interference on the radio's AM band when driving near large roadside electrical transformers or similar equipment?

I just noticed the phenomenon the other day while driving my wife's 2008 EX-L.
  • Options
    "There is a small multi hole area between the sunroof controls. This may be a pick up for ANC or automatic volume control in the sound system. I do not know and these are just guesses."

Those holes are where the microphone is located for the Navigation System equipped vehicles' voice control.

" I have 5000 miles and the oil life reads at 60%. At the end of January I will have 7500 miles. Some people say Honda reccomends that the original oil stay in there till the indicator is down to 5 or 10%. I dont like to go past 4 months or 7500 miles. Perhaps I should change it at the end of 4 months even if the oil life indicator is still at 20% or more."

The 2005 Owner's Manual Maintenance Schedule (the last year before Honda started using the Mileage Minder) says to change 4-cylinder models' oil every 10,000 miles under normal conditions and every 5,000 miles under severe conditions.

They also say:

Follow the Maintenance Schedule for Severe Conditions if you drive your vehicle MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions.

- Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip.

- Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions.

- Used primarily as a delivery vehicle or taxi that is driven mostly in stop-and-go traffic and/or parked with the engine idling.

- Trailer towing, driving with a rooftop carrier, or driving in mountainous conditions.

- Driving on muddy, dusty, or deiced roads.

NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY drive under a ‘‘severe’’ condition, you should follow the Normal Conditions Maintenance Schedule.
  • Options
    I would go with the service minder unless you suspect there is something wrong with it. My 08 Accord is too new to comment on. But, I also have a 06 Pilot that bought at the same day as my friend's 06 Accord v6. We both have near 17000 miles on each car. He has only changed oil once(!!!) and I have changed 3 times, both per service minder recommendations. My Pilot is 95% cold start/city miles and his Honda is 95% highway miles. So I think Honda's system is smart enough to differentiate between different driving conditions. The manual says to change it after a year if the light does not come on. 5000 in 3 miles would mean a lot of highway miles to me and I don't think you have anything to worry about. At least with regard to timely oil change!
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Yes, the '08 Accord has only a marginal improvement in road noise from the previous generations. The road drumming is still there that was present in my prior '03 EXV6. The ANC system is standard on all EX models both 4cyl & 6cyl models. Honda refuses to acknowledge the problem. They claim the driver feels more "connected" with the road.

Some call me a glutton for buying another Honda since I complain about the road noise so much. Realistically there isn't another manufacturer out there that offers what I'm looking for. I guess Nissan may be the closest competitor but their residual values are not high enough for me to consider.
  • Options
    marlowehmarloweh Member Posts: 1
    What does the term "power shopper" mean as it relates to getting free dealer quotes?
  • Options
    I've never heard of the term. However, ALL dealer quotes are free. Nobody ever pays for quotes.

I recommend that you do your homework here before requesting quotes from dealers:

http://www.edmunds.com/caradvice.html
  • Options
    coupeman1coupeman1 Member Posts: 1
    I was in the same situation as you. I started by looking at the 335i and the G37. On the test drive the 335i had the sweetest ride and the G37 feel was the most sporty with a deep satisfying rumble. Then I saw the Accord coupe and really liked the looks. I took a V6 with the 5 speed automatic for a test drive. I liked everything about it except the transmission, which I found didn't react well as far as providing the power when I wanted it. So after a bit I found a 6MT to try and the difference was huge. The 6MT also has performance intakes that gives significantly better low to mid range power. It has plenty of power and you can drive it at high revs or keep it low for a smooth sedate ride that has power at your finger tips. In my opinion it's a waste to drive it with the automatic. I've owned my V6 6MT for a week now and we have had snow. I'm very experienced with snow living in Canada, and have driven pretty much every kind of car in it. I found that my accord with the 18" all season radials tracked very well, and it is without a doubt better than a rear well drive.

In Canada taxes a pretty high at 12% for a new car, and our strong dollar hasn't helped much with respect to car prices compared to the US. So the price difference with the G37 and the 335I is quite large. The G37 came close, but the passenger room in the back is ridiculous. My wife at 5'9" was sitting in the back and her head was pressed against the ceiling!

I love my Accord coupe and think it's a great buy.

Good luck :shades:
  • Options
    I did not drive the coupe but it seems that the "enthusiast" magazines really like the coupe with manual. Regarding "urgency", I seem to recall reading an Accord vs Camry SE comparison (can't recall where) that talked about how the engine computer in the Accord does not allow full throttle until the speed is above something like 20 mph - which may have been why the 0-60 time was a bit better in the Camry V6 SE than the Accord and may also be why some reviews have commented that the Accord V6 does not feel as powerful as the 268 hp would imply.

That said, my EXL-V6 has plenty of power in all real world situations such as merging, passing, inclines, etc. I remember one review that talked about the "parental reserve" of the Accord. That's an apt description - the power is there, it's just not as in your face as cars like the G35 or even the Camry SE V6 and the Avalon. So, it may not impress quite as much in a short test ride but like I said it's great in real day to day driving ; the car definitely responds when pushed.

Motor Trend and Edmunds recently did head to head comparisons of the Accord, Camry, Altima, and Malibu. I think they said that the 0-60 times for all 4 of these (in V6 models) were better than most high end sports sedans from just a few years back.

I did not test the Malibu but did test the other 2 as well as the Accord. I actually think the Camry SE V6 was a bit better performing than the Accord - quicker and more effortless acceleration and believe it or not, slightly better handling in fast curves (in the SE trim). The Camry also had less road / wind noise. But, the Accord was close and I personally strongly prefered the Accord's styling - both exterior and especially the very high quality interior, which I thought was far superior to either the Camry or the Altima. I was also a bit unnerved by some of the '07 Camry quality problems so that combined with the fit and finish of the interior left me with the impression that the Accord was a better built car.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Coupeman1:

My 90HP 1986' Civic's manual transmission shifted like butter. Therefore, 268HP '08 Accord Coupe is a super butter. I am not surprised that you bought it.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Noise cancelling -- I believe the noise cancelling process in the Accords is only meant to cancel engine noise -- it is not meant to try to cancel wind noise.

With regard to wind noise, there have been many posts on this forum noting the surprising levels of wind/road noise in the 08 Accords. In my 08 EX-L, I would describe it as "acceptable." There is a considerable amount of road and wind noise that enters the cabin at highway speeds. In my opinion, its not objectionable, but its also not impressive. I think Honda could have, and should have, done a better job at noise suppression. I know some posters have opined that Honda allows more road noise into the cabin to make the driver more connected to the driving experience. Given the cost savings of not insulating the interior against noise, I think its more likely a cost issues. However, Honda put the noise cancelling technology in the car for engine noise --- so Honda is obviously sensitive to the issue. With the level of refinement in the rest of the car, I remain a bit baffled as to why Honda didn't do more to suppress noise . . . .
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    thanks for the feedback. i suspect the 6 speed auto in the camry might have something to do with it feeling more springtly. plus, the 5 speed in the accord probably would get better as it "learned" my driving style.

that said, i did read that the manual v6 without VCM has better low and mid range torque, and torque is what you "feel"...so that might also partially explain the lack of accelerative urgency too.

anyway, i still plan to seriously consider the coupe v6 come spring.
This discussion has been closed.