Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Absolutely no flickering lights in my 2008 EX-L 4-cylinder. Since this has been mentioned by only a small handful of posters, I believe that those individuals may be oversensitive, or have a unique problem.

Road noise in any modern vehicle is most often a function of tire design, not vehicle design. Accords come from the factory with hard/stiff tires to maximize fuel mileage. That results in slightly increased road noise. Most people would never notice the difference if they were listening to their radios while driving.

Changing to a different model tire when the OEMs wear out will resolve that concern.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    More sound insulation could have cured noisy tires so you can have hard long wear and high fuel economy tires without listening to tire noise.
    However, I test drove a 2008 LX-P that had no ANC and I didn't notice it being unusually noisy on the highway compared to other similar midsized sedans.
    Camry and Malibu are quieter though.
  • Options
    st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    Blane I would suggest since you live in NY you havent run the car with the A/C on...if you can put the air on 60 degrees in a warm area and make sure the compressor is cycling on and off...as it does look behind the radiator and both fans should come as the compressor comes on..at that point watch the headlights and see if I'm right...don't forget in Florida we use the air all the time ..when I turn the A/C off completly the lights are fine. read my post about voltage drop..I have had 5 honda cars and also have two honda motorcycles in the garage at the present time...I know about honda engineering and this is not honda engineering...I will put a link to the video so you can see for yourself if honda does not fix it next week..every 17 seconds the lights flicker and that is not acceptable.
  • Options
    In answer to your question RPM's have no bearing on the lights flickering..I can be going down the interstate at 70 mph on cruise control and they do the same thing. Don't forget this car is constantly running ABS,TPMS, 270 watt radio system, etc...I am wondering if down the line these constant voltage changes are going to damage the electronics in the car? Also if you watch closely the instument lights behind the speedo and tach do not flicker nor does the read out display on the dash...only things with light bulbs flicker.
  • Options
    uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    You folks in the northern parts of the country are in for a surprise once spring arrives and the A/C starts being used. By the way it every outside light including tail lights and license plate lights, and if the door is open the interior lights do it also. Its a very visible flicker every 17 seconds.

I wasn't paying attention because I thought my 08 4cyc coupe has no flicker problem and I read your post saying that A/C being used caused the flickering.

I parked the car in the garage tonight and tried A/C on for a while. I was surprised to see a visible flicking. It is funny that it does every 17 seconds you mentioned.

I'm kind of wondering what it would be if I drive the car on the road and does flicking every 17 seconds. I seems like A/C draws a lot of juice every 17 seconds, and I can hear the sound of clinking.

People who own 08 4cyc accord, try A/C on for a while and see if the flicker prrblem is noticeble.

I don't know what to do now. I guess I can report this problem to Honda, but what they will do isn't promissing at this point.
  • Options
    Thank you for running your car in the garage with the air on...a lot of people are going to be for a surprise soon when the weather breaks...believe me driving down the highway will have no effect on it..Its funny you concur exactly with my 17 second cycling ...maybe the rest of the people on here wont think im out of my mind..as I stated before its a problem unique to the 4 cylinder..6 cylinders dont do it. You must call Honda in California and open a case number with them and request to see a district parts and service manager..the more people who do this the sooner honda will get a fix for it.
  • Options
    jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, but my 2006 I4 EX-L auto does the same thing, although it is barely noticable. My car has 45K and this was the only trip back to the dealer under warranty. I've talked with other owners and the didn't even notice it. I did when in their cars though. Grad, have you ever seen it in your car? Dealer said they all do that. If I remember correctly, it as something to do with the way the alternator 'free wheels' when not under heavy load. The lights dim when responding to the increased load of the cooling fans. Most likely a load of crap, but what are you going to do.

I normally just read and never felt I had much to add, but thought I would let you know that this has been occurring in more than just the 08's.

Tayl0rd, I also have on 05 GT 5-speed. In hibernation until the snow stops flying.
  • Options
    phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    I am talking street cars - not cars modified for racing.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i'm really surprised by all this flicker talk. to those of you that own/rent a house...don't your lights sometimes flicker or dim for a second with then A/C kicks in???? something to think about...
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Same suspension geometry.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Meet me in the BMW 5-series sedan forum.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Every 4cyl car I've owned had that slight flicker as the AC cycles on at rest. I've never noticed it on the road though, no different with my 08 LX Accord either. If I'm idling outside, waiting to pick someone up or whatever, then the flicker is certainly there, but on the road it is not.

And yes, I've used the AC plenty. ;)
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Grad, have you ever seen it in your car? Dealer said they all do that.

Yes, I see it, especially at idle. It is more prevalent in my 2.2L 1996 Accord though.

I like the point emale brought up - my house does this as well.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Right. No need to have a fit of appoplexy over a little light flicker. The light flicker is only severe if other cars start pulling over for you.
  • Options
    Your house lights dont flicker every 17 seconds..I have approximately a 8% voltage drop across the battery when the AC come on..assuming your house is 110 volts that would equate to 101.2 volts ..do that thousands of times a day and watch all your electric motors burn out. When power plants have a "brown out" to save power they only reduce the system by 5%.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    How are you noticing headlights flickering from inside the car?
  • Options
    We bought the car on sept 24th for my wife...I never drive the car..one night in nov we took the car to dinner after daylight savings time was over..it was my first time driving the car at night...coming home I noticed a flicker in the headlights while driving the car and as they say the rest is history. This was noticed on a lighted road, on a back road with no ambient light it is absolutely annoying and VERY visible..as mentioned in a previous post it is not only the headlights doing it, but all the exterior lights on the car including the license plate light..I won't post the video on here til I find out from honda next wednesday if the plan on finding a fix..if they come back with the retort "its a normal operation of the car" then the video will be posted on the internet for all to see..I have a seven minute tape you wont believe. I plan to show the video to the engineer that Honda is sending.
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    hi guys.i am thinking of upgrading tire size of my 17" tires 225/50/17 to 225/35/17 on the same stock rim.is it possible and if it is what are the cons?
  • Options
    have you driven another '08 accord to see if it does the same thing? maybe your battery isn't up to snuff or there is something wrong with your alternator or voltage regulator? either that or you are way more sensistive vs the rest of the population... :P
  • Options
    dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I'm not sure what mechanical problems may be encountered with such a low profile tire but I would think that the ride characteristics would be so hard and jarring that I would tire of it real quick (no pun intended).
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Your speedometer calibration will be off. Your ride wil be stiffer, and with more pressure on the rims due to lower profile, you could damage the alloys.

If you go to lower profile, you must go to wider tires. Wider tires could run into inner fenders when wheels are turned all the way or when you hit a bump and the suspension is compressed.

Check at tirerack.com for conversion. If I were you, I would stick with the same tires that are on the vehicle.
  • Options
    The lower profile tire will DEFINITELY ride harder. A friend had a 530i sport with the lwo profile tires - road HORRIBLY. Another friend had a straight 530i - SO different - I knowthe suspension was different too but the tires have less give and your dire WILL suffer. My S2000 rode VERY rough - simply no give to the sidewalls.
  • Options
    I will admit it is still a "live axle" but VERY controlled for axle hop and lateral movement with multi links, and NOT the same suspension that your street GT has.
    Plus I have raced on the track - generally they are much smoother than public roads. Generally - there are exceptions. Still say IRS is the way to go on the street - Ford admitted it would have been better in 2007 but would have added $5000 to the cost of each car! There is the reason it is not on them - not that it isn't better.
  • Options
    If you read the rest of my posts on here you would have seen that I have an appt. with a Honda engineer on Wednesday..If I dont get some satisfaction from the meeting a video I shot will be posted with a link to it and then everyone on here who thnks im too sensitive can be their own judge..my neighbors cannot believe the car does that and one of them is a retired ford engineer.
  • Options
    Keep after them st300 - persistence pays off. do not take no for an answer. I had about $1600 in repairs to my '88 Pontiac Trans Am at 75,000 miles - second replacement alternator, bad fuel injectors, starter motor, etc. Wrote to Pontiac explaining this was my first American car since 1981, never had these problems with Honda, etc. They wrote back saying their warranty was as good as anyone else's and it was out of warranty. I wrote back again - got a phone call. "Please sendus your invoices." I did. Got another phone call - $1000 off your best deal on any new Pontiac, or $600 cash toward your expenses. Took the cash - drove the car another 75,000 miles without any trouble at all. Actually a great car - the gee whiz look at me styling was a bit inappropriate for my age though.. Best looking TA I ever saw - all white, no bird decals or anything, small wing on back, and black honeycomb wheels. 4 speed auto with OD - 2000 rpm/80 MPH = 28-29 MPG - better than HONDA!! BUT BE PERSISTENT - THE SQUEAKY WHEEL WILL GET THE GREASE!
  • Options
    i'm still interested to know whether or not your drove another '08 similar to your's to see if it does the same thing...
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I'm not denying you have the flicker or that it is as strong as you say. I am just stating that all my cars have done this to some degree and on my 08 LX is is only noticeable at idle and even then it is very, very minor. On the road it simply isn't there.

I think your car, as well as others, has a problem with an electrical component of some sort. I strongly encourage you to make HONDA fix it to your satisfaction.

On a better note, WeatherTech released their floor liners for the 08's and I put mine in today, they are EXCELLENT, the fit is great, they look great, and they come up a good 3-4" on all sides to protect the other vertical carpets surfaces that your feet will rub. No more generic rubber mats slipping all over and exposing clean carpet underneath to my wet feet.

Here in Vermont where we are deep within snow and salt season, with at least another 2-3 months of that to go, I'm very happy to have them in.
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Forgive me for playing devils advocate, but when this "light flickering" occurs - do the headlights go out completely ?

It would seem to me that the only way NHTSA would request/demand a recall on Honda's part- would be if all illumination completely failed....

A flicker - on the other hand- or dimming- would seem to fall under the "operating as designed" category and pose no significant or real risk to anyones safety-
  • Options
    jrkflajrkfla Member Posts: 21
    according to the official specs, the EX sedan has 2 less inches of front headroom and 5 less inches in total interior size than the other 3 sedans? that makes no sense. What is the reason?
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Models with the moonroof (EX) have less headroom. The head liner is farther down, to accomodate the moonroof, taking up some headroom.
  • Options
    Second that. I must say that headroom is not a problem in my 2006 Accord w/moonroof, and I can even put the seat near the highest point without coming close to hitting my hair on the ceiling. I'm 6'5"!
  • Options
    jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I have a 2008 EX-L V6, automatic. So far, so good, except for 2 things:

1) when I activate the windshield wiper fluid, the wipers (unlike every other car I've had) do not come on automatically (I am pushing (or pulling, depending on how you look at it) the wiper fluid stalk long enough so that the wipers should come on). Is this by design (hard to imagine)? If not, is there some control to activate this feature, or is this a service issue?

2) I am having what seems like some very rough, or exaggerated downshifting. I posted the details in the VCM thread, and am pasting below (sorry for the double-posting, but it appears to relate to both subjects, and some people might read this thread but not the other one, and vice versa). Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Other than these issues, the car is quite enjoyable, but the second issue in particular is significant.

I have a 2008 EX-L V6 automatic. I am not experiencing the surging or vibration others have experienced. I do notice, however, that the downshifting, particularly in the low 20 mph range (so I'm guessing 3rd to 2nd?), is frequently quite exaggerated or noticeable -- I feel a real dragging feel, almost as if the car is braking by itself. I don't think it's a VCM problem, as it happens when the car is already in "ECO" mode and also when it is not. Could this be the "grade logic" system (although I feel the dragging feel on flat roads as well as on ascents and descents)? Or is there a potential transmission issue? Or is this a feel common among Hondas (if so, it would be totally different from any other car I've had, including an Accord many years ago)?

As to VCM itself, I can sometimes notice when it kicks in -- a slight sensation of some sort just before the ECO light comes on -- but more often it is not noticeable. If I didn't have the downshifting issue mentioned above, I probably wouldn't pay much attention to it. I do notice that the ECO light goes on and off quite frequently. I would like it if Honda offered some system for disabling the light, since it is somewhat annoying going on and off as it does; and it's not as if there's anything I can do about it when it comes on or goes off.
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Does anyone know or have PDF file of how to remove the back cover off the fornt seats of 2008 Accord four door? I do not want to start pulling and breaking tabs.

On these covers they have push pins and plastic tabs.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • Options
    wow! you must be all legs! ;)
  • Options
    wow! you must be all legs!

Ha, a 34" inseam.

This is me, the day we picked up my car from the dealer (Nov. 12, 2005). I was 18 and so blessed to have it!
  • Options
    rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    I have the same model and not the wiper issue, I would imagine thats a service problem. AS for the downshifting I do feel what you described, I think it is suppose to be that way, I believe I read somewhere that the downshifting can feel a little weird.
  • Options
    My 08-V6L has no issues with the wipers but does exhibit downshifts that are more noticeable than any automatic I've ever owned. At times the transmission provides engine breaking when I'm looking for it and other times I'm hoping to coast as far as I can and I'm not looking for any engine breaking but I get it anyway. For all the fuzzy logic and other computer wizardry that is applied in the transmission programing, it still can't compete with an experienced driver and a standard transmission. Having said that I still feel it's a good match with the 6 cyl and the combination provides for a relaxed or spirited drive, take your pick, it will do a reasonably good job responding to the intentions of your right foot.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I'm looking for some advise . . . I have found that the brakes on my 08 EX-L I4 AT Accord are a bit strange in that they are so "grabby." To me, they are too grabby. As soon as I start to engage them, they grab and force a less than smooth deceleration. I've driven the car for 6000 miles now and still have a hard time applying them evenly and without a sudden jolt. Its not drastic and it certainly is not a malfunction (although it has been a bit of an issue on ice) - but its annoying. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this something that can be adjusted?
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Don't worry, my 06 Accord has brakes like this, they are very strong! When it rains, its even more grippy. My mom drove it, and it was crazy, she kept making the whole car jolt, it was hilarious...lol you'll get used to it, you will.... it doesn't take much to stop the accord, and it don't take much for it to roll either!
  • Options
    cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    One week and 800 miles in my new 6spd coupe. This is one incredibly fun and dangerously fast car. It doesn't feel like it's related to my 03 6speed. When I went from my 99 Civic Si to my 03 6spd, the former car felt like a go kart. Now, the 03 6spd feels like a go kart compared to the new coupe.

Stunning styling, a much more substantial interior, and the engine has a menacing growl in the first few gears. It feels like its geared taller, and with more power available, I found myself downshifting a lot less. The clutch takeup is not as abrupt as that of the 03, although with almost 270 hp going to the front wheels, it is almost too much power without a LSD. But I've yet to really experience any torque steer yet at launch. The meatier tires help, and the Michelin MXMs are still biased toward comfort over handling (that much hasn't changed). I will switch to summer rubber when the weather improves. The handling with stock tires is not bad, but I know it can be much better with stickier rubber. Braking distances would also be shortened with better tires. It's not bad as is, but could be improved without a doubt.

It's still not an easy car to shift smoothly (will get better with practice), but they've improved the linkage and clutch take up. The biggest difference is how much more power is on tap from launch and up the gears, and the car feels heavier and more stable at speed. The seats are very firm, and although some have complained about back pain, I think they're extremely comfortable and easy to find a good driving position.

The center stack is way too busy (what 30 buttons?) but once you get used to where everything is, it's intuitive. I miss the old steering wheel and stubby shifter, but this new car just feels so much more mature and subtantial. The steering wheel is very very thick compared to last gen. Honda has made a blatant attempt to copy BMW, and it mostly works.

The 03 was probably a bit more tossable, but until this car is broken in, I'll reserve judgment. There is a lot more sheet metal in front of the windshield, but visibility is still very good. It's a deeply sculpted car, and you sit in it like you're in a cocoon. A different sensation from the previous generation car. Exterior dynamics are very good...I drove home against a 40 mph head wind out of Chicago on Sunday, and the car was very stable and the wind did little to bother it. I know in my previous Accord, I would have had more trouble maintaining control at 75-80mph. There is less wind noise and the new stereo system w/subwoofer is a huge upgrade over the previous car's sound.

Handling in the snow is still decent with VSA, but this car is happiest on dry, twisty roads or the freeway. The new 6spd coupe is an absolute blast to drive! Highly recommended and a great value at $26K. It is light years ahead of the previous generation, IMHO, for just a little more coin. But you get so much more equipment (safety and comfort and speed and handling) that this car is a bargain.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If you drive a car with "grabby" brakes for only two days a week, and drive a "soft pedal" truck the other five days, it can be very tricky. I spent a few months getting used to the Accord's brakes, but it's all good now. You should adjust, in time.
  • Options
    khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    cstiles I couldn't agree more.

Mine is an exL with navi. After a few days I can handle the center stak layout just fine, and I think the Navi with the big button is superior to the touch screen.

It is def a blast to drive. Got mine at Thanksgiving, and here in central NY there hasn't been much dry road tme. Looking forward to spring and summer and prob a few speeding tix.
  • Options
    Do you feel that it is worth it to get the navigation... I do not need it, but I would love to have the fun factor with it, and feel I might opt to own this when the lease is done? Is it really worth having it? Or should I save some $$$ and just get the EX-L without navigation... I dont want to get it, and later feel, wow, I totally didn't need to get it.. The only time I would really need direction is when we do go on vacation now and then... What do you think? What about it that I am going to gain in having the unit? I am certainly not going to miss it if I opt not to, but it would cool, to have the bluetooth.....
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I don't knoe if you were directing your question to khoey or all. As another EXL V6 w/ Navi owner, I will give you my take on it. I primarily wanted the navi because I get lost alot. The reason I wanted the builtin is that my 06 Pilot also has it and I loved it. (no bluetooth w/ Pilot, yet). The voice actuation is a fancy gadget that does/does not work all the time but cool top play with. The navigation system is very advanced compare to most of the portable ones out there. What I like about getting the Honda Navi is that you get alot more than a Navi with the package. On top of the blutooth, you also get an awsome screen for your XM and much better screen for your CDs and MP3s. Also you get the trip computer, and the phone address book, etc. If you can, go onlinre and read abou all the stuff the navi version offers, there may be some more stuff I overlooked to mention but I am sure other Navi owners will mention.
    One more "fun" factor!, I also had the rearvire camera installed ($660) and love it. (Another bad habit I learned from my Pilot!).
  • Options
    Now, do you know if I am able to tweak the system to play DVD's?

Does it show the text on Mp3 Cd's?
  • Options
    apple47apple47 Member Posts: 8
    Now, do you know if I am able to tweak the system to play DVD's?
    Does it show the text on Mp3 Cd's?

I don't know about tweaking the system to play DVDs, but yes, the Navi screen does show the song information (title, and depending on how the MP3 is named, the artist). You can place your artists in folders, and then scroll through the folders and choose specific MP3 files using the Navi screen.

I love that I can load up six CDs with 100+ MP3 files each, though I've noticed the Navi screen titles each CD based on the first MP3 title on each CD. Found a work-around by adding a fake 1sec MP3 file named whatever I want the CD title to be indicated as on the Navi screen (e.g. "-Rock.mp3" ... the dash in the name causes it to list first, and thus that's what the CD shows up as on the Navi screen).

The sound of CDs and MP3 files is so good in the my Accord coupe v6MT compared to the mediocre sound of XM in my opinion. XM variety is good, but sound quality is causing me to wonder if I want to continue after the 3 month trial.
  • Options
    I agree about the CD's sounding better then the XM radio. I'm accustomed to CD quality sound and thought that because it is satellite radio it would approach the sound of CD's. I have found that if you play with the bass-treble-sub woofer controls you can get the XM to sound much better, but after boosting all those controls beware when you play a CD because it will sound like your about to blow the speakers. It would have been nice to have audio presets that you could just push one button to load the settings for the XM and revert to another setting for the CD's, but overall I'm pleased with the sound quality and I guess at this price point you just don't get everything.
  • Options
    khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    This one is my fourth Honda with Navi.

I made it a priority. IMO it will only be a few years before navi will be pretty standard, they work so well and improve your driving life. To me, the external units don't work as well, look as good, and integrate into the other systems that are accessible thru voice control as do the in=dash factory units. This latest generation, with the big control knob, is a big improvement over the touch screen.

Hey, it's my opinion, and plenty of others are saving money and getting the portables. To each their own.
  • Options
    I prefer the portables for that reason - they are portable.

I have two Accords which I use my Garmin in. I've also used it in in an Odyssey, a '97 Maxima, a '97 Civic, and my dad's 2007 Civic. Ya just can't do that with a built-in.

Also, the updates are easier for the portables, and the user interface can be much more simple depending on the brand of car you drive.

Just presenting the other side of the coin. :)
  • Options
    cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I opted for the 6spd w/o navi, mostly to save $2000. I have a portable Garmin Nuvi 650 that I got for $350 that works very well. But the stock Honda navi includes a host of other features (explained above), so it basically comes down to whether its worth two grand. I do believe that navi systems will come down in price in the future, so resale value will likely not hold up to justify the additional $2000 investment.

I also have 2 other Hondas with Navi (2005 RL and 2006 Ody Touring), and because I wanted the portability this time, I did not order my 6spd coupe with a navi system.
This discussion has been closed.