Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln MKX

Comments

• mkxawdmkxawd Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the follow-up ..... Doesn't sound too bad.. I envisioned something that needed to be removed every time I needed to put one or two of the rear seats down ... Thanks for the terrific explanation ....
  • belfastbelfast Member Posts: 18
    IT is now fixed. Lincoln had the dealer replace all the parts except the glass in the roof. The mec> showed me the real problen the rear glass slides we litterly frozen...Ford/Lincoln spent a pile of money on this repair. all the new parts and 3 days total shop time...just mabe they will listen to the people that are now charged with repairing these frozen slideing roofs and make simple adjustments on the assy: line like lubrication on moveinf parts. o'well mine works great now.
    Belfast ;)
  • floridasandfloridasand Member Posts: 9
    We looked at the Lexus, the Infinity RX 35, and the Cadillac SRX. We are very happy we went with the MKX. It is amazingly quiet, has a longer wheel base than the Lexus (which adds to smoothness of ride), has more interior room -- esp. in the back seat. The air conditioned seats, the really nice, user friendly navigation system, and THX are real pluses. Also, the MKX takes regular gas, and I believe the Lexus uses preminum. You can go to www.lincoln.com, pick the MKX and go to "Compare Lincoln" on the shopping tools -- the Lexus, Infinity and Cadillac automatically pop up as the main competitors.
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    I had a chance to look at an '08 MKX while at the dealership recently and compare the changed interior styling to my new '07.

I'm not sure I like the new interior design theme. The chrome-ringed temp controls are a nice touch and the new combinations of wood/interior colors are a positive change. However, the overall look of the design seems more 'Mercury' than 'Lincoln'.
  • dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    The Costco link didn't work, but I looked at it at http://www.bumperbib.com/bbib.html and it looked interesting. That bib could get pretty messy, though, in really sloppy snowy conditions, I suppose throwing a clean towel in the back of the vehicle would help keep the exposed area of the bib clean. Not really expensive, either; compared with the Lincoln accessory I think it's a much better value, particularly if the Lincoln accessory doesn't perform well. Leave it to the aftermarket to come up with better ideas!
    Sorry you're unhappy with your MKX. I like having a roof rack and that rules out the Vista roof for me. I've never had much luck with sunroofs; they just seem to be more bother than they're worth. In addition, I think they cause more interior noise and one of the reason I'd get an MKX is because of Ford's efforts in reducing the MKX's interior noise. My Forester is a nice, fun car but I hate the noise that gets inside. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I've had my fill of noisy cars. I can hear emergency vehicles just fine, but the constant road noise really wears me down on long trips.
    Interesting that as far as I can tell, Lincoln didn't fix the cargo cover problem for the 2008 model; it's still the same afterthought design. Had they molded a couple of notches in the side trim panels and created a popin/popout cargo cover, that would have resolved the problem and how much attention would that have taken? Sometimes car manufacturers baffle me with their oversight and Ford/Lincoln's hardly the only one guilty of it.
  • fleurdelisfleurdelis Member Posts: 9
    Since we bought our MKX, this week brought our first snowfall. So it also was our first test of the performance of our AWD MKX on snow and ice. We picked up a couple to go with us to a Christmas concert during the height of the snowstorm and the MKX passed my "snow /winter weather test" with with flying colors! The computer controlled AWD, anti-skid brakes, & traction control, combine to produce a performance on the snow and ice that is just as good, if not better than the prior 3 GMC SUV's that I had.

Also, one of the prime reasons we bought MKX over several other CUV's was the superior comfort for adult passengers in the second row. This superiority carries over to winter comfort characteristics, as the heated second row seats only add to the MKX advantage. And the front and back seat heaters put out more than adequate heat for the 2nd row.
  • avlvavlv Member Posts: 26
    Anyone have a contact number for someone in LM customer service corporate division?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Use the roadside assistance number on the card you received when purchased.

800-241-3673 (FORD)

Mark.
  • mkxownermkxowner Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new 2007 AWD Lincoln MKX around September 2007 and I currently have 10,000 miles. So far I have had the trim on the rear roof window replaced due to a flimsy piece of tape that did not fully secure the black plastic trim from rattling.

Now I have a problem with a strong acidic rubber smell coming from my vents. It generally occurs during very cold days and at first I thought it was the exhaust from other cars until I repeatably get the strong smell on various cold days.

Other forums (a ford EDGE forum) http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1654&mode=threaded&pid=12547
    suggest the AWD power takeoff unit has a faulty seal or gasket. To me this is huge. I am posting this to document my situation and to see if anyone else has a putrid rubber burning smell coming from their Lincoln MKX/Ford Edge.
  • avlvavlv Member Posts: 26
    I had my ptu & seal replaced on my MKX. Got the car back today. I had a tranny leak and was getting a burning smell from the tranny fluid leaking from the PTU on the exhaust. Its dry for now. Also earily build PTU'S had a problem with being over filled. Which caused fluid to come out a vent when fluid started to expand. Had that problem also. The fill plug was on the left side toward the top way to high to allow the fluid to level out to the proper level when th plug was removed. It had to be taken out and drained to proper level. Redesigned unit has the plug on the right side much lower.
  • fleurdelisfleurdelis Member Posts: 9
    No trouble with either of the two problems you mention (rear window trim or acidic rubber smell). Since our purchase in August 07, we now have close to 8,000 miles, including a 1000 mile round trip to relatives in Minneapolis for Christmas. MKX has been problem free for now. Drove on icy roads, where others had gone in the ditch just minutes ahead of us. No problem for us due in part to MKX superior traction control. Also, pleased to see how well MKX rates in IIHS crash ratings.
    Check them out yourself at:
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
    Fluer-de-lis
  • mkxownermkxowner Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: The Ford company is aware of the rubber burning smell as it is available in their service bulletins. The problem is apparently caused by the power takeoff unit within the transmission system. The fluid used in the PTU has been overfilled by the factory. This has caused the fluid to leak thus leaking fluid and hot burning oily smells via the ventilation system. There is also another ford bulletin stating that the seal in the PTU is also suspect and may not properly seal the PTU and thus cause leakage as well. So if you have a 2007 Edge or MKX and in my case AWD then you may want to have this checked out.
  • cawfebugcawfebug Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have this same smell coming from our 07 Edge. They replaced the seal to the AWD, but it is doing it again after just 3 weeks.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    So I take this is an AWD-only problem, not affecting FWD?
  • cawfebugcawfebug Member Posts: 2
    I took the Edge in again for the burning "rubber" smell. They are now having to replace the PTU unit, I guess replacing the seal last time didn't do the trick.

Not something I want done at 7K miles!! (at least its under warranty).
  • vinnieg1vinnieg1 Member Posts: 53
    I just purchased my new MKX and the front brake calibers were already warped. Has anyone had a similar problem? They machined them and all is well for now but I wonder about rotors warping so soon.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That's typically caused by improper lug nut torque. Did they swap the wheels?

BTW - caliber is the size of a buller but brakes use calipers.
    No I haven't done anything to the car yet. I realized a shimmy in the steering wheel when I took it off the lot and brought it back the next day for repair.
    I have a Lincoln MKX and the antenna isn't as strong as other vehicles. Stations especially AM are not coming in as clear. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice on where to get a stronger one?
    Anyone compare the 18 to the 20s? Most on the lot have the 20s, thinking of asking them to swap out for the 18s (better ride?, cheaper replacements).
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I'm very sensitive to ride harshness, but am very satisfied with the ride on my Mazda CX-9 with its 20's.

A potential bonus of 20's is that rolling resistance is generally less for larger diameter wheels.
    I test drove both and would have taken the 20's if necessary. There wasn't a huge difference in ride quality but I found the 18's to be slightly better.
  • hamomhamom Member Posts: 13
    I have the 20 inch wheels and I love them! I test drove both and found the bigger wheels to have a nicer ride..just my opinion.
  • mhunschemhunsche Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a new 2008 black MKX Limited with the monochromatic grill package, aftermarket ground effects and aftermarket 22" wheels. The larger wheels are quite comfortable with this car. They look great in the wheelwell and ride nicely.

I'll post a photo in the next day or so. Prepare to see one of the most beautiful examples of an MKX you will ever see.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    People have found that the 18 inch Michelin tire is more expensive than the 20 inch
    Pirelli. Go figure.
    Michelin vs. Pirelli - not hard to understand.
  • dds010dds010 Member Posts: 33
    Any idea on when the mkx will receive a refreshing. Will it get the 3.7 woth more power than the current mks application, update interior and exterior, and a more sportier suspension to further differentiate it from the edge
    2010 model year at the earliest - could be 2011. Should know more after the Detroit Auto Show in January. Not much inside info right now.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of a 2007 or 2008 minivan, SUV or crossover that is loaded with two or more high-tech features such as a navigation system, DVD player, heated mirrors, parking sensors, rear view cameras, iPod connectivity, radio data system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, tire pressure monitoring, universal garage door opener, Sync, etc. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your vehicle.
  • belfastbelfast Member Posts: 18
    Fallon try putting a correct email address on and I bet you get replies.
    Belfast :sick:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The "@" sign here is tweaked to foil the automated spam bots.

If you'll copy jfallon@edmunds.com and manually substitute the real @ sign, it should work ok.
  • corny1corny1 Member Posts: 1
    Howdy folks. I am thinking about buying an mkx. I am interested in what you guys think about the headlights on these cuv`s, great , ok, poor etc. Also does anyone know why you can not get a roof rack with the vista roof. There looks to be lots of room. Has anyone had an after market roof rack installed?

thanks
    corny1
    Re: the roof rack, I'd be careful, there's the mechanism for the vista roof under the sheetmetal. We are happy with ours (no sunroof), as for headlights, they're fine, don't really notice one way or the other. I may have a different opinion later now that we're headed towards the longer nights.
  • JWCRUISEJWCRUISE Member Posts: 2
    I had a small pool of red fluid on garage floor under the engine of my 2007 MKX with around 12K miles. Took it to Ford dealership around the corner and they replaced transmission seal. All warranty protected. Smell began in a few days so decided to return to Lincoln dealership where we bought it. Replaced PTU seal. 5 minutes into the trip home turned on heater and the smell returned. Went back to the dealership the next day where I was informed that the PTU seal "did not take".
    The dealer kept the vehicle overnight after replacing seal the second time and did more testing before I picked it up the next day. So far..so good....knock on wood.. Vista Roof okay so far (crossing fingers).
    Thanks for the info. Is yours AWD?
  • JWCRUISEJWCRUISE Member Posts: 2
    Oops...forgot to mention that it IS an AWD. Nephew leased an Edge, I believe a 2008, and it blew a bearing the other day. He is no mechanic so he could mean the PTU seal. F O R D......Fix Or Repair Daily.....
  • rayinnhrayinnh Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if a dealer can install an engine throttle back device so the engine will brake and slow the vehicle while on cruise going downhill. Similar to what I have on my Mercedes.
    Thanks, Ray
    If you had bothered to read the owner's manual you would know that you can put the transmission in L and it will provide enhanced engine braking for - among other things - downhill driving.
  • dsc100dsc100 Member Posts: 1
    hi - i have a 2008 MKX, my problem is that when I go over 65, it starts to shake. anyone else have this problem? do you know what it could be? I've only had the car for a month, did not buy from dealer, haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet.
    Probably lost a wheel weight and the wheel is out of balance. Have the dealer check it out.
    Easy problem would be wheel weight. Other possible causes could be alignment, or possible front end damage. In any case, you need to get it to the dealer.

Keep synthetic 20W oil in the engine. Preferably 0-20W.
    "Keep synthetic 20W oil in the engine. Preferably 0-20W."

Why? That's not what the factory says. Don't void your warranty.
  • stage15stage15 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a new 2009 MKX and Iam in love with it. I traded my 2008 infinity EX35 which was very luxurious ,however, TOO SMALL. Does anyone know why when I try to install my downloaded picture cd (jpeg) to the home screen I get the error message bad disk or incompatible file?? I downloaded the photos to disk from windows photo gallery on my computer????
    RH
    My guess would be incompatible file type (.gif, .jpg, etc.) or an incompatible file system type on the cd.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Hi, Guys. I've been seeing pictures of the 2011 MKX that's due to
    come out this summer. I like what I'm seeing and I'm liking the features that are going to be added such as the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel and rain-sensing wipers. Also, there's a new touch-screen nav with slide controls for the AC and
    such, referred to as MyLincoln. Has anyone else seen the pics on the 2011 MKX? If so, what are your thoughts?
    I did see it. The biggest news is the 3.7L engine. Should be dandy. I like the new front fascia and the improved interior. I own an 08, which I love. I added new ground effects and am running 24" wheels and tires. It's cool.
  • clareobclareob Member Posts: 3
    MY FIRST WINTER IN MY MKX AND I'M EXPERIENCING A EXHAUST TYPE BURNING SMELL INSIDE MY VEHICLE WHEN THE HEAT IS ON. I WAS CONCERNED IT WAS EXHAUST BEING DRAWN INSIDE BUT AFTER READING SOME COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM IT SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM HAVING TO DO WITH THE PTU. HAS ANYONE ONE HAD DIFFICULTY GETTING THIS FIXED? I'M PRINTING OUT SOME OF THESE POST TO BRING WITH ME WHEN I MAKE MY UPCOMING SERVICE APPT. ANY INFO IN GETTING THIS CORRECTED IS APPRECIATED.
  • Please don't yell when posting. Thanks.