Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    give me a Reese Cup

I have a hard time passing them up in someone's candy dish. I bought a 40 oz bag at halloween and no trick or treaters hiked up our long driveway. So I am spacing them out.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    My guess is the Europeans do not use HFCS like we do in everything.

I remember when I was in Aruba, their Coca Cola products were made the old fashioned way, with cane sugar. It was a bit of an adjustment, after getting so used to the stuff they have here in the US, but it didn't take long to develop a taste for it.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You don't feel thirsty 3 seconds after your last sip.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My guess is the Europeans do not use HFCS like we do in everything.

That's right they don't. But it has nothing to do with health. The EU has a production quota on HFCS to protect their own sugar producing sector.

BTW - the debate on whether HFCS is worse for you than sugar is still ongoing. Even the AMA has released a report that it's not worse than sugar. It's what one is willing to believe.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I love peanut butter and I love chocolate, but the combination of peanut butter and chocolate I find quite distatseful, hence, I can't stand Reese's...

A simple chocoloate you might try, I have found them in GA at QT gas stations, of all places, and in Hendersonville, NC, they have a barrel of them (buy by the pound), and they are called "Ice Cubes"...about one inch square, a half inch thick, wrapped in gold or silver foil...place in fridge, get cold, and then unwrap and let melt in mouth...no designer stuff, just plain good chocolate...at QT gas stations, pay 25 cents each, so get 4 for a buck and sales tax...great little treat, and, to me, ranks with all the good stuff mentioned in previous posts...
  • Options
    printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    parts are sourced around the world (ie parts globally sourced). whoever comes in with cheapest parts wins the contract (labour is much cheaper in Asia, India), so much for CAW/UAW.
    Like Apple products. Parts maybe assembled with pride in Kansas, but parts are off shore. Get used to it. Lower your cost of living standard, if you want to keep your job.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Hmm...I looked at the chocolate I brought home. Ingredients are in German - nothing like "high fructose corn syrup" is listed, but "glucose syrup" is listed - same thing? I also got a little bag of US-made Lindor balls at Christmas, HFCF not listed, nor on the box of French made Lindt (family is trying to fatten me up, I guess).

I swear Coke tastes different there too, I bet the sweetner mix is different.
  • Options
    Actually they said no worse than other fructose sweeteners. There is a difference. It also shows the AMA can be bought if the price is right.

Embarrassingly, the AMA voted in defense of high fructose corn syrup, making its entire organization look like a ship of fools.

The fact that the AMA had allowed itself to be placed in this predicament in the first place is a story in and of itself. A movement within the AMA ranks had been underway for well over a year. It came from its International Medical Graduate Section, doctors who graduated from medical schools outside the U.S. or Canada. These doctors could care less about the financial “old boy network” existing in the United States, involving the Corn Refiners Association and whatever influence they may be able to purchase.

The resolution to label high fructose corn syrup with an obesity label would not become a law (the FDA would have to do that), but it would be a clear statement of public policy that would have a major impact on the sales of this destructive sweetener. The resolution was submitted with extensive science supporting the fact that high fructose corn syrup is metabolized in a way that promotes obesity.

I have been reporting on this subject for a while, recently explaining how high fructose corn syrup promotes leptin resistance by abnormally raising triglycerides and earlier reporting how beverages with high fructose corn syrup contain high levels of damaging molecules that promote diabetes. In short, like trans fatty acids, high fructose corn syrup should be eliminated from the diet of everyone – either through public health proclamations or by law – if needed. As is typical in the face of a public health problem of magnitude, the FDA is nowhere to be seen.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/ama_condones_high_fructose_corn- _syrup/

HFCS is one of the earliest GMO experiments. It is the heart of most processed foods and a multi Billion dollar business. Subsidized by the Federal Government. It is your health. All sugar is bad for you. HFCS is REAL BAD for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You mean these?

These are actually from Germany. I used to get these now and then as a kid - my mom said she remembered them existing when she was young in the 50s, so they must be pretty traditional. I also remember them in gas stations. When I was in Germany a couple years ago, I brought her a bag of them shaped like an icicle, and she was thrilled. They are good, smooth.
  • Options
    I bet to differ. Point of final assembly does mean something.

Racing to the bottom will result in a very negative ending.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Where do you guys get off calling Godiva overrated. Overpriced... perhaps, arguable, but overrated, never. Godiva chocolate, whether white, milk, or dark, is simply the best money can buy!

By the way, I got a small bag of white, milk, and dark chocolate Godiva Truffles for Christmas, and I looked at the ingredients, no HFCS to be found. They do have some regular plain old corn syrup though.

I call BS on Godiva using HFCS, but I don't care, Fructose is the best tasting sugar.... health be damned.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    Ice Cubes could be bought at our little corner store, Cianci's Corner Dairy in Greenville, PA, when I was a kid (early and mid-sixties). They were two cents a cube then. They really melted in your mouth.

I've tried expensive candies, and I've yet to find milk chocolate any lighter and creamier than Daffin's Candies out of Sharon, PA (they have a store in Greenville, too). One neat thing I always liked is whatever candy filling they have, it's available in milk or dark outside...all of them.

I'm surprised the host hasn't put the kibosh on this thread 'drifting' (although sheesh, that's not a bad thing). Steve must be on vacation but I'm longing for his return. I'll leave it at that.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    Just stuffing my face with homemade chocolates down here in Chattanooga. Pretty sure ClaireS is on a saltwater taffy kick this week.

I have been driving by Volkswagen Drive several times a day, and there's a lot of empty railcars backed up leading to the VW factory, waiting to get loaded with new American made Passats I guess.

(Oh, and we went hiking out by the Little Debbie Snack Cake/McKee Foods factory yesterday but managed to avoid the factory outlet store. :shades: )
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Little Debbie always did have the sweetest buns.
  • Options
    Just checked the label and the Lindt chocolates use real sugar, not HFCS. That explains the sweet aftertaste. :shades:
  • Options
    bob192bob192 Member Posts: 19
    because of the high sugar prices in the US, it isnt feasible to make candy here for sale outside of the country. Sugar growers are helped but candy workers are harmed. Protectionism always has to be looked at for unintended effects. You would think that candy companies and their employees would have more pull than the sugar growers.
  • Options
    That was also a big factor in Hostess bankruptcy. Either you have to have cheaper ingredients, higher prices or less labor costs to compete with stuff coming up from Mexico or down from Canada. That includes cars and trucks.

As an on topic anecdote. Our local water district just tried to replace all their Ranger PU trucks and realized they are no longer being made in the USA. So they have switched to Toyota Tacoma for their meter reader trucks. Stupid move on Ford's part not to build the T6 here. Not everyone wants a big fat F150.
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Do they really need TRUCKS to go read meters? Why couldn't they drive Cruzes or Sonics or Focuses?
  • Options
    Why do they have to drive around reading meters anyway?

My town installed water meters that transmit info every 15 minutes to the DPW via a repeater. It allows them to see problems very quickly if there is a water line break in a home. It also saves the time and money of actually sending people out to read meters.
  • Options
    Why do they have to drive around reading meters anyway?

My town installed water meters that transmit info every 15 minutes to the DPW via a repeater. It allows them to see problems very quickly if there is a water line break in a home. It also saves the time and money of actually sending people out to read meters.

So they have internet-connected meters basically, and yet they had to buy new TRUCKS (not cars, TRUCKS) to drive around and read said meters.

I think the Ranger no longer being built in the US is the least of your problems in this situation. :shades:
  • Options
    Your reply should go to gagrice - not me. I was agreeing with you and taking it a step further.

:)
  • Options
    When I was in college I worked at a job that had a small fleet of pickups to get around. Keep in mind they were extremely cheap, stripped, 2WD models, but I bet they cost less than a Cruze does.

I'm sure they choose pickups to carry stuff around when needed, and they often get around alone so 2 seats are enough.

Someone just got a hemi Ram for under $20k, and that's a full sizer. That's less than any Malibu around.

The fleet ones are often much cheaper than the well equipped consumer models, too.
  • Options
    Searched fitzmall.com: 2WD Taco for $18,670.

They're nearly out of Colorados so no cheap ones, same for Frontier.

I'm sure fleets can still get 2WD stripped pickups for mid teens.

Cheapest Cruze was $17,060 for reference, and probably could not fit several meters in its trunk.
  • Options
    Yes they may be cheaper to BUY than a Cruze, but are they cheaper to OPERATE? Some people just don't think long term, and they'll spend an extra $6k over 5 years in order to save $3k up front.
  • Options
    Well, if a Cruze doesn't meet the needs of transporting the things you need, that doesn't really matter. These are utility companies, I'm sure they have stuff to haul that's bigger than that trunk.

Guess they could look at a Ford Transit since the Ranger is gone.

Overkill is the rule, though. I bet most fleets just get a stripped full-size pickup now.

In Brazil, you see all sorts of tiny pickups, even one based on the Chevy Corsa.
  • Options
    Well, if a Cruze doesn't meet the needs of transporting the things you need, that doesn't really matter. These are utility companies, I'm sure they have stuff to haul that's bigger than that trunk.

Gee, then maybe Chevy should have brought us the Cruze hatch. :shades:
  • Options
    Diesel Cruze hatch. :shades:
  • Options
    I think the Ranger no longer being built in the US is the least of your problems in this situation.

You guys are all batting ZERO this morning. Yes they do have Cell connected meters. They require regular battery changes and maintenance. And the most important thing is the Tacoma is 65% MADE IN USA. The Cruze which is totally out of the question. Our roads are 3rd World around here. The potholes would beat a Cruze to death before the warranty was up. And tradition is a big part. All the utilities around here use smaller trucks for their meter readers and service people. The Domestics have DROPPED the ball again.
  • Options
    Yet, one needn't worry about a frame snapping in half on a Cruze.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Careful we're in a Buying American thread and that frame is 100% USA made.
  • Options
    I personally would prefer the Nissan Frontier. They don't offer a standard cab model. They have been the best of the small pickup trucks since forever. My first was a 70 Datsun PU, that was great. Would start at 30 below zero sitting outside. I bought a 1999 Ranger and was very disappointed. Their V6 was a gutless gashog. I have a 2008 Frontier that I will probably keep till the wheels fall off. The only thing I would replace it with is a small diesel PU. Now that Ford builds a World class Ranger with diesel engine, they don't sell them here.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Engineered by Toyota...just like those bad GM steering columns made by suppliers, and for which GM sued, were engineered by GM.
  • Options
    Brazil's biggest auto mag picked the Ranger in their comparo, which also included the VW Amarok and the new Chevy S10 (Colorado).

The funny part is those are the BIG pickups there. Chevy and Ford both have tiny pickups based on the Corsa and Fiesta.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Actually the frames did not meet their engineering standards, which is why Dana paid out a big settlement.

They were not poorly designed, they were poorly made, below spec.
  • Options
    But Toyota had QC inspections, correct? Just like GM and their columns.

I'm pro-GM, but ultimately it's GM's problem.
  • Options
    Does rust show up immediately? No inspection could catch that.

They bought from a domestic supplier, trusted that those frames would meet spec, and they didn't.

Want a used Toyota truck? Buy one with a VIN that starts with J - no rust issues on those. Ouch, the truth hurts.

The damage is done, Toyota takes the blame, but what lesson should they learn? Stop using American suppliers? I don't think that's practical.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Our water meters are read via wireless signal as they drive buy. Usually they're in a 1/2 ton pickup, sometimes a full-size van. I'd guess they use these vehicles for other uses too. So it might not make sense to buy a single use vehicle. Plus our water department is in a small town so they really don't have to cover a very big area.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The damage is done, Toyota takes the blame, but what lesson should they learn? Stop using American suppliers? I don't think that's practical.

Seems like Toyota is still doing fine regardless. The Tacoma handily out sells the Colorado/Canyon combined. Through November Tacoma sales are up nearly 30%, so the frame issue must not have scared many off.
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Careful we're in a Buying American thread and that frame is 100% USA made.

... and could RUST. Hopefully it's not from Toyota's supplier.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Just drove the '12 Dodge Caravan for the first time (kept getting the old '02 previously). I must admit, Dodge has come a long way, as I'd pay 4X more for the '12 as the '02 even if they were of similar age/wear and tear and mileage.

Of course, I'd take the Honda Odyssey over both in a heartbeat. A Minivan isn't my cup of tea, but my, they have come a long way.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    edited December 2012
    Our water meters are read via wireless signal as they drive buy. Usually they're in a 1/2 ton pickup, sometimes a full-size van. I'd guess they use these vehicles for other uses too.

Our utility meters are the same here in Greenville, SC. Recently there was a local news story about a couple of wing nuts accusing the utility companies for health issues due, allegedly to wireless radiation coming from the meters. Somebody's always looking to a big payday, I guess.

Usually you see them collecting readings in Colorados or similar sized pickups.

The state of SC does a lot of international business (BMW, Michelin, Haier, etc.), so I doubt buying a non-US brand vehicle would be much of a problem here.
  • Options
    Our utility meters are the same here in Greenville, SC. Recently there was a local news story about a couple of wing nuts accusing the utility companies for health issues due, allegedly to wireless radiation coming from the meters. Somebody's always looking to a big payday, I guess.

LOL, the utility company should provide them with complimentary tin foil;)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Funny you mentioned tinfoil...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/05/opinion/la-ed-meters-20110605

From the link:

"Radio waves put out heat, and extreme exposure to such heat has been shown to cause lab rats to lose their appetites"

Perhaps this is an answer to the growing issue of overweight Americans...

Seems SC doesn't have a monopoly on nutcases...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's also concern about hacking the data; if your rate of electrical or water consumption falls every weekend, the hacker may figure that you're away at your beach house and will take his F-150 over on Saturday morning and clean your house out.

A Ranger wouldn't be big enough to handle the furniture in this scenario. :-
  • Options
    It cannot come close to the radio waves from a cell phone by your ear. The problem the water company is having is battery replacement was supposed to be every couple years. The battery is not lasting that long and when they lose the signal they have to send out someone to replace the battery. Some meters get piled with leaves and dirt which can cause transmission problems. It still saves them money.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'd take the Honda Odyssey over both in a heartbeat

Have you had your eyesight checked recently - just kidding! Seriously, there are some very real and practical advantages to a minivan like a Toyota Sienna and unless you drive in some very bad winter climate, the extra weight of the minivan often compensates for the AWD in the crossover in normal snow.
  • Options
    There's also concern about hacking the data; if your rate of electrical or water consumption falls every weekend, the hacker may figure that you're away at your beach house and will take his F-150 over on Saturday morning and clean your house out.

In that case, wouldn't it be easier for the thief to hit your beach house during the week? I mean, if you wealthy enough to have a beach house, you probably have some fairly neat stuff in it, too. Hit it on Monday morning and have 5 days to get away before anyone knows what happened.

Of course, I'm only joking...

While it may be a concern, I would think you're far more apt to simply be hit by burglars that watch your comings and goings than by some techno-junkie crook.

I could be wrong, though...
  • Options
    Honda is their own worst enemy, the Ody is hard to look at.

Sienna suffered cost cutting for 2011.

Grand Caravan is half way there, but I'd like to see a clean sheet, the platform dates back to 2008, the old Chrysler.

If my van were totaled I'm not sure I'd buy any of those! Maybe a CPO 2010 Sienna.
  • Options
    Honda is their own worst enemy, the Ody is hard to look at.

The Odyssey should be renamed ODIOUS. :sick:

My wife's Grandson has the last generation Odyssey which he loves. Told me yesterday it has 196K and he is going for 300K. They got a new transmission at 107K. He hates the look of the new Odyssey. Is hoping they fire the drug addict that designed the current one. Change for the sake of change is not always best. Especially with appliance type vehicles.
  • Options
    Broke in half glued back together.