Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2013
    Just another BS list IMO. I'm sure if you were a white male growing up in the midwest, life potentially could be pretty good.

My dad was born in '51 and my FIL in '46. Mabye they don't realize how good they had it, but even though they were born and raised in NW Indiana, they both talk about how poor they were despite my FIL's dad having union steel mill job.

During every layoff his dad had to find work or they'd starve. My FIL joined in the Marines during Vietnam to get out of the house so his dad could retire as he was about 60 at the time. My dad's father always had to work 2-3 jobs. He was physically disabled from WWII. Disability from the VA wasn't enough to support a family of 6 and no way could he work in a factory even if they would hire him (like that would happen). Ironic there was no mention of poverty levels, as the 50's rates were high. No to mention life expectancy, which was 10 years less overall back then.

People sure like to bring up the tax rates back then, but it's comparing apples and oranges. The effective rates were no where near the marginal rates. While it's true the top .1% and above had lower effective rates back then, so did the bottom 20%. No income group had a negative effective rate back then like we do today. Not to mention consumer interest was tax deductible among many other differences. IMO, it's amateurish just to mention the marginal rates. But actually digging in to see the actual differences would actually require some effort.

"despite the racism, homophobia and extra racism" comment about sums it up.

Yeah, that's a minor disclaimer;)
  • Options
    my old man drove drunk a lot

That wasn't just in the 50's. My grandpa (mom's dad) who worked in the steel mills used to pick me up on the weekends when I was a kid and the first thing we'd do was empty all of the crushed beer cans under his seat that he'd drink on his way home from work every day.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Most "lists" are idiotic, but there are some points there - especially the social mobility listing, and the tax issue is completely valid when looking at wealth distribution (as they are connected) - which is now more skewed than at any time since before the depression. Trickle down tax policy has failed. The education component is also important - you could put yourself through school then via working a menial job, not anymore. The social safety net is no doubt better today, technology is better, etc.
  • Options
    especially the social mobility listing

That does mean something, but what. Most of those who "moved up" in the 50's grew up very poor. Many had absolutely nothing. A factory job meant you moved from poor to middle class. All of my grandparents grew up in households that would be considered poverty today. My grandpa's father died of TB at 21 years old. No social security for the survivors, so my grandpa was raised by his mom and an aunt until he was in 8th grade, then he quit school to work to help support his younger sisters until war broke out.

The times were so different considering the state of our competitors etc, I don't know if any comparisons between then and now have much validity.

Taxes certainly have an effect on wealth distribution, but it's certainly not the only factor. Plus what the effective rates back then can't show is how much money was hidden and/or earned under the table.
  • Options
    Yes, as I mentioned, more of a safety net now, and in most cases, that's a good thing. However, IMO, easier to move from poor to middle class then - not nearly as many people going broke from medical or student loan debt, either. Much less hyper-competitive workplace.

As we've coddled the top few, the socio-economic gap has exploded. Could be correlation, could be causation, seems a bit much to be coincidence.

The good old days weren't always so good, but I do smirk when I see boomers crying about how bad they had it.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some of us who lived through those years don't have very rosy glasses.

And the cars. The '53 Buick was beloved, but the floorboards were so rusted, you could see the road pass by on the passenger's side (that's probably why my father finally sold it - I bet his whiskey pints started falling through on his side). I'm sure if I got to drive one today, I'd be stunned by what a wallowing pig it is.
  • Options
    Your dad was a pharmacist, right? Very lucrative field today - was he poorly paid then, loved the old battleship car, or some kind of miser who refused to replace it until it literally died?

Some of that is technology, which naturally improves over time. That wallowy 53 Buick was a spaceship compared to a 1928 Buick.
  • Options
    not nearly as many people going broke from medical

True, instead of going broke you were more likely to die;)
  • Options
    My mom was the car buyer. She would get a new Buick every 3 or 4 years for a while there. That slowed down once my older sister hit high school. I think my old man enjoyed driving a beater back in the day when most cars didn't last to 100,000 miles.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Your dad was a pharmacist, right? Very lucrative field today

My wife is a registered pharmacist. Like many professions it's changed a lot over the past 50 years. Particularly for women. 40 years ago women didn't make up 10% of the profession, now it's about 50/50.

Medicare/Medicaid/Insurance changes along with other regulations has really put the screws to the independent pharmacies. It's hard to be a small independent today. Many have sold to the chains over the past 5 years.

Over the past 30 years the pay has risen quite a bit. Mainly due to the increased education requirements and growth in the industry outpaced the supply of new grads. It's leveling off now, but 5 years ago a new grad could expect a $30k+ signing bonus.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It's leveling off now, but 5 years ago a new grad could expect a $30k+ signing bonus.

Today a PharmD is starting at well over $100K and with adding in per diems at doctor offices, hospitals, et al can make well over $150K per year.

Of course for the first few years they are paying off heavy student loan debt...
  • Options
    Around here starting pay is in the $120k range, but they get paid overtime and can get bonuses too. So $150k is very doable, I know a few that work enough o/t to push $200k.
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Medicare/Medicaid/Insurance changes along with other regulations has really put the screws to the independent pharmacies. It's hard to be a small independent today.

Wonder if need for pharmacists is diminishing today what with doctors issuing prescriptions via laptop from their office directly to drug store or mail order pharmacy. There is less chance for error in interpreting the usual bad writing of doctors on hand written RX's. Would hope that drug store and mail order pharmacies have precise listing, spelling and dosages available on their ordering data base and that doctor's incorrect spelling is kicked back to him/her and not accepted.

Of course, a doctor can always make an error in judgement and correctly order an incorrect medicine for a patient's condition. How would a pharmacist know?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, but the mail order places hire pharmacists too, and they can only fill so many Rx's an hour, even with new efficiencies. I don't think let robots do the work yet. Not sure how far a tech can go to prep Rx's either. I remember my dad would have Wednesdays and every other Sunday off (partnership small store) and if he did 100, that would be a big day for filling Rx's.

Anyone tire kicking an American car this weekend?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >Anyone tire kicking an American car

Going to try again with the seat for every butt theory with Focus, Fusion, Verano, Cruze, and Malibu this weekend. Driving my 98 leSabre around to the stores, which gets mixed reactions on the faces of the lot rats.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Wonder if need for pharmacists is diminishing today what with doctors issuing prescriptions via laptop from their office directly to drug store or mail order pharmacy.

With current regulations that hasn't been the case so far. Pharmacy techs are used to handle the initial script process, administrative type tasks, filling certain prescriptions and giving customers their order, the pharmacist still has to touch/verify each prescription and offer counseling to each patient. And while that can affect the need for techs, some states have regulations which require a specified tech to pharmacist ratio.

OTOH, there are continuous improvements to make the pharmacy more productive. Such as robots that dispense the most common drugs etc, but the Pharmacist still has to stock the machine (or at least verify it was done correctly) and still verify the order prior to the customer receiving their drug.

While productivity gains help the pharmacist fill more prescriptions which in theory would mean less would be needed, people are using more drugs, so there still demand for more pharmacist in the future.

Like many jobs, a pharmacist today can dispense far more prescriptions one could years ago, but the number of scripts is still growing. Plus pharmacists are being used to administer vaccines and other preventative care.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    My buddy just got a new Outback to replace his 99 Legacy Wagon. Not sure how he feels about me kicking his new car tho... :D
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    edited March 2013
    I used to work for the largest drug chain the U.S. (now defunct; left in the '90's), and have worked in pharmacy-related areas since. Boy, when I worked from '80 to about '95, we had to really give the store pharmacists a lot of leeway. In other words, you couldn't do anything to irritate them. They got away with twice the stuff that we'd fire a Store Manager for.

BTW, I grew up through the '60's and early '70's. I'd say things were, overall, better than they are now. Moms didn't need to work and often didn't. I grew up in a small town and knowing everybody is a thing that if you didn't experience, you just can't realize how special that was. In fact, I'm often on a Facebook page of people who live or used to live in my town and that's the recurring theme throughout peoples' posts.

I'm a white male, but I witnessed no racism whatsoever. I had some black friends and treated them like anybody else as did they to me.

Crime was low compared to the more suburbanized area I live in now. People making meth at home with their kids present? Not then. Now, routine.

I honestly do think, too, that 28 is the new 18, so to speak. Kids seem like they stay kids longer. I guess that's due to parents, though.

People tended to buy and work locally. And even in a non-suburban small town, there were plenty of places to work if you didn't go to college. The big joke would be "I'm going to school at USC" (which stood for 'University of Steel Car', the boxcar-building company in town).
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/more-corvette-stingray-factoids-vanishing-pan- el-gaps-and-26-mpg/

Ballsy move. Will be hard for body shops to repair properly for OCD owners if they get damaged.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In other words, you couldn't do anything to irritate them. They got away with twice the stuff that we'd fire a Store Manager for.

It was even worse from say '00 to '07. I don't remember what year exactly, but when they made it madatory for all new pharacists to obtain a Pharm D, there was a year with few grads. Plus all the chains were opening stores left and right creating a huge shortage. IIRC, in 07, my wife and all the pharmacists that work for her got 3 separate raises in one year just to try to keep them from leaving. My wife had pharmacists she was trying to hire walk because she could only offer $20k signing bonuses due to competitors offering $40k

It's cooled off considerably since then, but I know my wife is anxiously awaiting for the new grads she's hired to become licensed this summer.
  • Options
    Funny since I was just on that topic, but John Mellencamp's "Small Town" is on the radio now. I agree with most of his sentiment although generally aren't a big fan of his.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    With the boomers racing towards the geriatric wall, and our inefficient healthcare system in general, it is probably a field with high job security, and will remain that way for some decades. Unless there are finally machines to dispense pills based on doctor's orders.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Not sure how he feels about me kicking his new car tho...

Too funny. Best thing to do with a new car though is to key it and get it over with. Then you can enjoy it without worrying about pulling in too close to those shopping carts or whatever.
  • Options
    I'd assume your LeSabre is immaculate - might not turn them off.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >your LeSabre is immaculate

Naaah. It's not one of the perfect cars. I've let it go on nondrivetrain upkeep in anticipations of a new Mercedes or something. :blush: Tires need replacements. One rocker panel is corroded near the front. At 196,000 mi and 15 years it still runs great.

I'd love to know what some of the sales people are thinking because of the strange looks that cross their faces when I drive thru or when I park.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    http://youtu.be/z5sKPBqIOe0

Not quite as good as the classic Aries spoof:

http://youtu.be/g_GtLssyNAs
  • Options
    Maybe they will just think "that guy needs a new car, let's give him good service!".

Or maybe not :shades:

My uncle has a LeSabre of that vintage. Maybe only 100K on it, white on burgundy (!), it has been fairly OK, but I want to say it had the manifold problem.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware the 3.8 had the manifold issues; I thought that was 'special' to only the Chevy engines! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I know a lot of 3.8s in had the intake problems. The Park Ave my dad inherited had it and a neighbor of mine a while back was almost given a heart attack while starting their mother's Lesabre. It basically caused a small explosion that ripped the intake manifold apart.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367

Does a 500 Abarth count?
    I'd actually consider a Focus ST, but in order to get heated Recaros and HIDs you also have to take Nav and that abysmal MyFord Sucks-I mean Touch-interface.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited March 2013
    BTW, I grew up through the '60's and early '70's. I'd say things were, overall, better than they are now.

I grew up in the 40s and 50s. We did not know we were as poor as people are told they are today. Crime against children was nearly non existent in cities like Los Angeles where I lived off and on until 1957. Now my old neighborhood Highland Park is unsafe any time of day. I did not realize it at the time when we would pack up and move in the middle of the night it was because we could not pay the rent. Probably a few months behind. So as someone once said "It was the Best of times, and the worst of times". I did not feel exploited delivering papers and mowing lawns when I was 8 years old. Not much of that today. I can't find an 18 year old willing to work hard for 8 hours in a day. May be the reason 43% of men under 25 still living off of mom and dad.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Now my old neighborhood Highland Park is unsafe any time of day.

Actually Highland Park is experiencing a renaissance as one of the Hipster hotbeds of LA. Since the gang violence died down, diverse people are moving in to renovate the old homes, open restaurants and art galleries. It's becoming gentrified.

In ten years, normal folks won't be able to afford to live there.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In ten years, normal folks won't be able to afford to live there.

My uncles bought my grandma a house in Highland Park back in 1943 for $4000. My mom and I lived with her while my dad was serving over seas in WW2. By the time I was 5 years old I wandered all over that area with my friends. Down to the Arroyo Seco, to the stores along Figueroa Blvd. I don't think you could safely let a kid in your front yard today. In the early 1970s the city condemned my grandma's home and that whole block to build a park. She was frail anyway and that sent her to an early grave. They tore down all those homes and the block was just weeds & trash until the early 1990s when they finally did something with it. It is no wonder I despise governments. All those old people forced out of their homes for NOTHING. It was nice growing up. No desire to be any closer to Los Angeles than I am now. I do understand the attraction. It was a wonderful place to live 60 years ago.

I do remember there was a Studebaker agency just a couple blocks from her place. We would go to visit in the 1960s and I saw a Studebaker Avanti and thought that was so cool.
  • Options
    I don't think you could safely let a kid in your front yard today.

Well it sounds like an up and coming area once again. Google Highland Park Hipster and you'll be surprised.
  • Options
    You very well could be right. Not a place I would dump half a $million on a hundred year old home. This place is across the street just one block from where we lived. No garage for the Porsche.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/207-N-Avenue-63-Los-Angeles-CA-90042/20772944_- zpid/
  • Options
    Now I see $499K for a single family home 15 miles from downtown as reasonable.

Remember it's all based on your perspective. You can't go back to where you grew up and expect it to be the same.

Heck, the house I grew up in is now worth $450K per Zillow and I'd never pay that for it.
  • Options
    Remember it's all based on your perspective. You can't go back to where you grew up and expect it to be the same.

For sure, nor do I want to live any place where I grew up. All too crowded now. Any lot smaller than an acre just does not get it for me. Much easier to stay friendly with your neighbors when you don't hear their TV or Stereo. I will save the fond memories of Highland Park in my past.
  • Options
    dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    still lucky on the manifold question. At 17 years and 191k miles, my 3800 sc still has original manifold gaskets. It did finally need a waterpump last summer and last week, after 8 years, I had to put on new front brake pads. They were overdue by a year and that cost me a $26 rotor. While doing the brakes I finally found out the clunking sound on turning right was a rusted away lower half of he stab bar end kit on the D/S. Still on the 2004 battery that the seller put in the day I bought it. Next weekend it is supposed to be a high of 50 so maybe an oil change and the $5 stab kit get done.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690

Well, I was in a bit of a mood this afternoon as I walked down to the garage, and for a brief moment, felt like kicking my '79 New Yorker, which was just sitting there, with no battery, bad starter, Lord-knows what else is wrong with it. But then I thought twice about it, because in '79 Chrysler was on the verge of bankruptcy, and didn't have the resources to figure out how to roll their sheetmetal as thin as everybody else could. So I thought kicking it might hurt me more than it would the car. :shades:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    still lucky on the manifold question. At 17 years and 191k miles, my 3800 sc still has original manifold gaskets.

IIRC, the SC 3.8 doesn't have the manifold issue.

Still on the 2004 battery that the seller put in the day I bought it.

That's pretty impressive, I've never had a battery last anywhere near that long. My last 3 vehicles all different makes needed batteries around the 4 year mark.

I will say my '07 Expedition is going strong knock on wood. I've never kept a vehicle this long. I'll turn 117k this week. At this point, I'm going to keep driving it until it gives me a reason to trade. Being a Ford, that day could be this Monday or 5 years from now;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    My last 3 vehicles all different makes needed batteries around the 4 year mark.

We have a AAA 7 year battery going bad at 4 years in the Lexus SL400. OEM battery in Sequoia lasted 5 years exactly. OEM battery in Nissan Frontier lasted 4 years and a few months. Not sure when it left the factory. It was dead and dealer wanted more pro-rated than a better battery from Costco.
  • Options
    Your averaging 20k miles a year which should be good for the battery. I put just under 30k on the Riv since it lost 4th gear about 6 yrs ago, even though it still gets over 20 mpg, the Malibu has essentially replaced it. My truck just sits there, working it's way towards an avg of 2k miles per year. The highest it ever hit was an avg of 4k per yr.

The battery being under the back seat to help weight distribution also probably helps battery life in Riv. My son's DeVille that he got in Nov has same battery location. We put 103k on Riv in 9 yrs. on one set of new tires, one set of rear pads, and now 2 sets of front pads. One tire is nearing limit for wear and looks weathered. I haven't looked at the rear pads since about '05 when I replaced them.
  • Options
    Did I read that you left California and moved to IN?
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    That's pretty impressive, I've never had a battery last anywhere near that long. My last 3 vehicles all different makes needed batteries around the 4 year mark.

The OEM battery in my 318ti lasted over 10 years, I finally replaced it as a precaution, as BMW batteries are notorious for testing perfect one day and going completely dead the next. That said, the OEM battery in my son's X3 lasted over seven years, while my Mazdaspeed's barely made it to five years. My Wrangler's OEM died at almost exactly four years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    No I did not leave CA. I am buying homes in Indiana for my son to remodel and rent. I gave up on the stock market and cash loses value sitting in the bank.

I don't put 20k a year on all 3 vehicles combined. The Lexus and Sequoia sit in the garage and get about 5k per year or less. The wife's 1990 LS400 only has 105k miles on it. We put about 8k on the Nissan Frontier. That is what I drive most of the time. I would love to have a diesel PU that gets 30 MPG like the rest of the World. Americans don't seem competent when it comes to building efficient PU trucks.
  • Options
    My E55 had an October 01 build date, still on the original battery. Fintail battery is now 6 years old, which is a new record, and impressive for a car with a generator.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware the 3.8 had the manifold issues; I thought that was 'special' to only the Chevy engines!

It was much more widespread on the Chevy V6'es from what I've heard, but the non-supercharged Buick 3.8's were prone to it, as well. It wasn't all of them though...something like the years 1997 to 2002, or somewhere thereabouts?

With the Chevy engines, it seems like it's the 3.1/3.4 that you hear the most about. I don't know if the 2.8 was prone to it as well? I knew two people with Cavalier Z-24's, and they had head gasket failure, but not the intake.

My uncle's '97 Silverado, which has a 4.3, needed a new intake manifold a few years ago. Fortunately, it was caught before anything catastrophic happened. And, my buddy's '04 Crown Vic needed a new one as well at some point in its life.
  • Options
    The battery in my '76 LeMans is going on 6 years old. I remember I had to buy in in June of '07, the day I was supposed to drive up to the GM show in Carlisle. Oh well, I guess it was better for me to find out the battery was dead while it was in my garage, rather than it have just enough juice to get up to Carlisle, and then leave me stranded in an inconvenient spot.

I had that car in the shop back in November to get the starter replaced. It's actually been a bit weak as long as I've owned the car, but finally got to the point that it wouldn't start at all if it was hot. The mechanic did warn me about the battery getting old, but he was basing that on the date sticker on the battery, which I think says 5/07.

I'm sure that weak starter probably put a strain on the battery all these years, but with the new one it fires right up, so I think the battery still has some kick left.

The battery in my '85 Silverado died about a month ago. I think its date was 6/08, but not sure.