Options

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You would be surprised of the amount of honest mistakes that occur in the course of a normal business day....in every business; claims, misplaced orders; misshipments; lost paperwork. Oh this wasn't the auto industry where I now work this was the steel industry where I did work for 20 yrs. A mistake concerned hundred or thousands of tons valued in the $Millions.

I believe it was probably an honest mistake, a left hand right hand situation, that can be rectified soon and easily. Here's how this happens. On the computer when a vehicle is 'sold' to a buyer there is a place in the stores version of Dealer Daily for comments where the buyer and salespersons name could appear. Thus tomorrow when someone asks if a Barcelona 2560 'loaded' is available the sales mgr can look and see that it was sold to 'Ms.... by Joe' - unless another sales mgr forgot to enter that data in the rush of business. To the new buyer/salesperson/mgr that vehicle looks to be available.

It also might be that an unscrupulous person sold it to a friend before it had a chance to be delivered to it's rightful buyer. I discount this. Stores don't want this kind of trouble. It's a huge black mark when they get called by Toyota, not to mention the ill will it generates in the local market. It's just not worth it.

I'd bet on the former situation.
  • Options
    willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    I don't think so.. I saw one at our Indiana dealership and they had several more listed on their due to arrive inventory.
    Personally, I do not care for the Jasper Pearl but I will say that it is unique and you should be able to find it in a parking lot.

:-)
    :)
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    This was discussed before. Here it is in today's Ottawa Citizen. The Hybrid taxi cab.

www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/index.html - Driving (inside the Ottawa Citizen) - Page c10
  • Options
    aslterp7aslterp7 Member Posts: 5
    spiff - the delay in delivery was due to the car was still at port and on the way to be delivered, but they had the VIN so management ok and sell it so he 'won't lose the deal'.
  • Options
    alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I would complain to the manager, but say I will keep the order with this dealership if you throw something in. Maybe it's just floormats. Maybe it's some aftermarket goodie that you denied yourself. Maybe it's a few coupons for a nice loaner when you drop the car off for warranty work.

If he says, "It was an honest mistake, and we can't throw any other goodies at you," I would demand to see the contract of the sale of your vehicle - the one that went to the other guy. If it doesn't show any increased profit to the dealership, then it's an honest mistake. If it shows some additional profit (maybe the price is the same but they took a sweet trade-in), you have a good breach of contract claim and you can take them to small claims. Is it worth it? no Would you get satisfaction? Probably not much.

My perspective is "don't spoil your relationship with your dealer - who knows what they will do to you when your car is in for soe warranty work, or whatever - maybe they'll make sure you get the TCH that pulls hard to the right"

The hassle isn't worth it, so avoid the hassle.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Re: What would you do? [spiff72] by kdhspyder

I'd give them the benifit of tdoubt that they were honest but I would expect them to explain it to me to keep that opinion; since, true, anyone can make a mistake.

If it truly was intentional I'd take legal action just to show them how to properly run a business.
  • Options
    If it truly was intentional I'd take legal action just to show them how to properly run a business.

good idea - just don't plan to buy a Toyota at any local dealer ever

Take legal action only if you are willing to deal with the consequences.

Besides, what are you gonna get? $500? $1000? Becauswe you had to wait a week to get the car you want?

Maybe if you had to wait 6 weeks, and you didn't have a car to drive, so you had to rent another car - you'd get the fair cost of car rental, and maybe a small punitive damage award (unlikely)

I agree that businesses need to be punished when they do something wrong. But I don't see the upside on this one.

I'd recommend keying the sales manager's car before I'd recommend suing them. [kidding about the keying, but not about the recommendation]
  • Options
    gogreen1gogreen1 Member Posts: 1
    (to hueristix)
    What did you get tinted (a jasmine pearl?)?
    How/where did you get it tinted?
    Where are the pics posted (what is greenhybrid?)?
    How can I access them?
    I'm new at this. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    makievmakiev Member Posts: 7
    You have to use a Dual Layer Disc and you must have a Dual Layer DVD Burner. Take the NEWER DISC and Burn an Image using either NERO, DISC Decrypter, or DVD Shrink program. Then you simply burn the image onto the Blank Dual Layer Disc.
  • Options
    lgj069lgj069 Member Posts: 7
    1985 Honda accord... Tips and /or hints on changing the
    power brake booster on affore mentioned vehicle? Any help will be appreciated!! Thanx, Larry
    PEACE
  • Options
    berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    Our mag gray is due mid-June. We decided against pin-stripe and tentatively against body-side molding. I'm still wanting fog lights; has anyone installed fog lights on a TCH?
  • Options
    m0t0rm0uthm0t0rm0uth Member Posts: 10
    I took my first tank all the way down to 4 miles and then filled it up. It just cracked 14 Gals. (544 total miles)

It would appear that the mileage countdown is not totally accurate. Maybe Toyota did that on purpose so when you think it is down to total zero you still have several gallons in the tank. I thought we had a 17 gallon tank.

Anyone else getting this number of gallons at fillup when you take the distance to empty calculator down to single digits????

If it did run out of gas could it still limp a couple of miles on the battery alone? Not sure I have the balls to keep driving it past zero miles to empty just to find out for sure................anyone else that foolish?
  • Options
    hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    I took my first tank all the way down to 4 miles and then filled it up. It just cracked 14 Gals. (544 total miles)

It would appear that the mileage countdown is not totally accurate. Maybe Toyota did that on purpose so when you think it is down to total zero you still have several gallons in the tank. I thought we had a 17 gallon tank.

Anyone else getting this number of gallons at fillup when you take the distance to empty calculator down to single digits????

If it did run out of gas could it still limp a couple of miles on the battery alone? Not sure I have the balls to keep driving it past zero miles to empty just to find out for sure................anyone else that foolish?

Yes, I'm running that very experiment at the moment. After filling up for the first time with the needle very close to empty and also seeing about 14 gallons, I decided to buy a gas can, fill it with a gallon of gas, and put it in my trunk. Now, I'm getting close to running out my second tank (needle well below E), and will try to answer all of your questions whenever I do. That could take a few days since I don't have any major driving plans for the weekend.
  • Options
    stevevillatorostevevillatoro Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the expriment. I had a big scare at the end of my first tank. I was miles from nowhere, driving in the mountains. The mountains took a bigger-than-expected hit on my gas mileage (or so it seemed at the time), and I found that my indicated cruising range dropped from 30 to ZERO miles in a split-second. I cruised on fumes and battery juice the last five miles to a gas station, and was so surprised when the fill took only 14.2 gallons. I really appreciate your doing this test.
  • Options
    Dear 07tch, So, did you ever install fog lights and SE ground effects? If yes, what was your cost please?
  • Options
    gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    If it did run out of gas could it still limp a couple of miles on the battery alone?

According to the Toyota FAQ - this is regarding the Prius but I assume it would apply to the TCH as well:

Question
    Can Prius run on electricity when it runs out of gas?

Answer
    No. Though Prius can operate in electric-only mode when gasoline is in the tank, it is not designed to run without gasoline. Doing so could cause severe damage to the hybrid system, so drivers should be sure to keep gas in the tank at all times.
  • Options
    hueristixhueristix Member Posts: 30
    magnetic gray but of course...
    limo tint on the rear, 10 on rear sides,
    30 on front sides.

check it out here:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/share/
  • Options
    hard to find your car from that link, but I did find it

tint looks good

dark tint with grey is a good look

I also like it with red

not so keen on dark tint with beige and other colors
  • Options
    I'm at Nags Head, NC. I let my tank get down to the 30 cruise mile mark and then started looking for a station on the way here. I drove a few minutes with the "0" mile mark (had about 540 miles on the tank)and when I filled up (topped it) it only took 15 gallons.

I got 35.5 mpg in the mountains of WV but by the time I drove through some of the hilly country in Virginia and was about 150 miles from Nags Head I had the average up to 38.3 for the tank. Not bad. Right now cruising around Nags Head and along the Outer banks I have about 130 miles on the tank and it's showing 45.9 mpg. Wow! I can't imagine why people that live in the flat country wouldn't want a hybrid
  • Options
    Posted some new pics on GreenHybrid.com showing.
    Left and right tailights lit.
    Trunk with Golf Clubs inside
    Front shot with lights on
    TCH in natural settings
    Picture of TCH wheel
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/share/category40.html

Enjoy! :)
  • Options
    bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    Thanks, WillyBill! This is just what I was looking for. Sure seems like Toyota almost wants the TCH to be invisible from the back at night. I hope those things are brighter than they look--I love big, bright tail lights.
  • Options
    Awesome !.. Two of my favorite things in the same picture!..

The Bodie Island light is looking a LOT better these days.
    :)
  • Options
    mack99mack99 Member Posts: 6
    I see where someone mentioned that he paid the MSRP price. The price I have received from one dealer here in Jacksonville, FL; was $2,500 over MSRP. They evidently are trying to capture any tax credit that a buyer would otherwise receive. Are you having to pay a bonus on your purchases? Thanks :)
  • Options
    07tch07tch Member Posts: 2
    No, berg32, not yet. As you may have seen in another post (#1940), a dealer wanted $650 to install fog lights. My dealer said close to $400 for just the lights, brackets, relay and wiring. He also said parts are very hard to get and take a long time as most are going into production vehicles. Hope I don't have an accident or need parts any time soon. LOL I'm sure the aftermarket guys will come up with some near-identical parts in the next few months. Look at the fog lights kits that are available for last year's model on eBay - more reasonably priced too. They've got the 2007 spoiler on eBay now. I'll post if I make any mods.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You drove by my house at MP 5.5 ;) Play golf?
  • Options
    spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    Hi everyone...

Can someone tell me what the manual says is the break in period for the TCH? How many miles is it, and what do they tell you to do (or not do) during this period?

Thanks...
  • Options
    Drive gently and avoid high speeds.
    Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
    break−in. But following a few simple tips
    for the first 1600 km (1000 miles) can add
    to the future economy and long life of
    your vehicle:
     Avoid full throttle acceleration when
    starting and driving.
     Avoid racing the hybrid system.
     Try to avoid hard stops during the first
    300 km (200 miles).
     Do not drive for a long time at any
    single speed, either fast or slow.
     Do not tow a trailer during the first 800
    km (500 miles).
  • Options
    You drove by my house at MP 5.5 Play golf?

Hey Bob, naw, not very good at golf. First time here and just meeting the wife's demands. I did get lucky at the Bodie lighthouse and no one was parked beside me an d I saw I had a Kodac moment opportunity with the TCH.

I can't imagine how great it would be to live here all the timeHowever normally I would be impatient but now I'm hoping I can get behind some slow driver so I can EV around town. Incredible milage opportunity here (over 45 mpg)
  • Options
    I see where someone mentioned that he paid the MSRP price. The price I have received from one dealer here in Jacksonville, FL; was $2,500 over MSRP.

If you read back through the posts you will see a lot of dealers asking over MSRP. It seemed like it was mostly in CA and bigger cities. However with a little research many were indeed finding deals at MSRP and in some cases like mine, a discount ($589), though small.

You're in the SE Area, I assume that for the $2500 over MSRP that would include dealer add on options or is that even above? What is the MSRP of the vehicle and what are they showing as justification for the $2500? If that's just a premium I'd shop around.

In WV, on a trade we only pay taxes (5%) on the difference.

I feel the pain of some of you. My personal property tax in WV on a $300K house is only $1100. We do have a state income tax (max rate around 6%). I guess that's why we get people from the city coming here to retire.
  • Options
    fullofbeansfullofbeans Member Posts: 33
    excuse my double post. but... I've kept myself informed on many sites and just discovered this on the car.
    I've had the car for 2 weeks and just discovered......
    (I'm hoping I'm the first!)

There is a hands free opening system.
    I've seen posts where people asked about this and mentioning a black button on the prius trunk.
    Our is a long black button under the toyota symbol, above our license plate facing the ground (under the trunk lip).

Press is with your key fob in your pocket and presto! - up pops the trunk.

I've been using the key fob, pulling it out of my pocket all the time.
    My dealer didn't mention this and I certainly don't remember the owner's manual as well.
    Awesome to have included. I was staring to think they got cheap and overlooked this function on our smart entry.
    Looking forward to hearing how many of you knew of this, discovered it or were shown this during your delivery at the dealer.
  • Options
    gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    I see where someone mentioned that he paid the MSRP price. The price I have received from one dealer here in Jacksonville, FL; was $2,500 over MSRP. They evidently are trying to capture any tax credit that a buyer would otherwise receive. Are you having to pay a bonus on your purchases?

DON'T PAY IT!!

The dealer I bought mine from in Houston tried to add $2000 over MSRP. I told him to give me back the keys to my old car (they'd been looking at it for trade-in purposes), that if I'd known they were going to pull that stunt I wouldn't have wasted my time coming to their dealership. They backed off so I only paid MSRP.

There have been a number of people posting about dealers attempting to charge anywhere from $2000 - $5000 over MSRP. As far as I can recall, none of these posters have actually paid it. Try checking with other dealers, either in state or out of state. From what I recall, most people have paid MSRP or perhaps $200-$500 less if going through someplace like Costco.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    attempting to charge anywhere from $2000 - $5000 over MSRP

The sad part is many buyers do not think they have a choice. If they would take advantage of the information available on sites such as this one. They could save a bundle with a little research here at Edmund's.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    HEY - thanks for the tip !! That is perfectly true - works perfectly on my 2007 TCH, I just walked out and tried it.

Fabulous Tip !! Thanks much !!!

Lars-SS
  • Options
    Thank you for responding to my question about fog-lights. Please keep me updated.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    so I only paid MSRP.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or go back into business selling new Toyota's.

I have never paid over MSRP, never paid MSRP when I purchased a new vehicle and never charger higher than MSRP when I was a sales professional selling Toyota's.

Please do not pay additional markup! It encourages bad behavoir.
  • Options
    I've NEVER paid MSRP, but when a car is in high demand, there's not many options unless you are willing to wait. In Virginia, the no more HOV exemptions will be granted after 30 June, so time is of the essence for many of us. So, just this once, I am gladly paying MSRP. Well, not gladly, but I think the exemption makes up for some overpayment.
  • Options
    I saw a mention in another forum of another dealer charging a $10k markup on a $30000 TCH. :mad:

Unbefrickinlievable. I hope no one actually paid that much for one, or they would, indeed, be encouraging this behavior.
  • Options
    hybridnewbiehybridnewbie Member Posts: 1
    I have been lurking for over a month and have learned lots from you all! We traded in a '98 Passat and picked up our Camry Hybrid on Thursday - silver, base model. Paid MRSP with free oil changes and service discounts. I LOVE this car so far although we'll see about the trunk when we go on vacation (we're a family of four). Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your tips.

Our salesman did tell us about the trunk and doors opening automatically with the fob. Cool! The only thing that isn't great is I read in the manual that you shouldn't keep the fob with a cell phone. I want to keep both in my pocketbook of course. What is a lady to do?
  • Options
    jjaxonjjaxon Member Posts: 27
    so what kind of gas mileage do you get with the a/c turned on? or is the engine strong enough to run an a/c?
  • Options
    I've got a 99 Passat. Mind if I ask how much you got for yours in trade?
  • Options
    I can't personally comment on the mileage hit from running the A/C, but some folks in various forums say that they run the A/C in Econ mode, and it doesn't seem to effect the mileage in this mode more than 5-10% (if at all).

The A/C compressor in this car is electrically driven, so the gas engine doesn't have to be running for the A/C to work. It does drain the battery, so the gas engine will have to run a bit more often to keep the batteries charged.
  • Options
    There is a hands free opening system.

Actually I still have to use my hands to push the button under the trunk emblem. Just kidding, sorry you did not already know of this feature.

I'm finding after 3700 miles that I like this keyless system more and more. my salesperson and I both discovered it together.
  • Options
    The A/C compressor in this car is electrically driven, so the gas engine doesn't have to be running for the A/C to work. It does drain the battery, so the gas engine will have to run a bit more often to keep the batteries charged.

I've been running the AC in ECO mode here at the beach and in this 300+ mile tank so far I'm averaging 45+mpg. I'm still getting long streches of battery only driving and when the engine does kick on to charge the batteries my instant reading has been 50 to 60 mg, even while criuising at 52 mph.
  • Options
    pandcpandc Member Posts: 13
  • Options
    ...Paid MSRP $30,589. by pandc Jun 12, 2006 (2:23 pm)

Sounds like as good of a deal anyone could expect. A couple of hundred in discounts would be great but over the life of the car it's pretty insignificant, especially if like me you are going from a gas guzzler to the hybrid and the savings are real every day.

By the way I might mention that driving in this car for 600 miles at a time is quite comfortable.
  • Options
    ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    I agree, I like it a lot, too. But since I am enjoying the fob, I am bothered by house door, I still have to lock that one, I wish they would come with a keylass gadget for that, too.
  • Options
    I am bothered by house door, I still have to lock that one, I wish they would come with a keylass gadget for that, too.

Fortunately for me the homelink also opens the garage door. I'm sure for the right $$'s a good security person could install an electronic door lock that worked with homelink if you don't have a garage.
  • Options
    cgi101cgi101 Member Posts: 5
    Off camry topic, but if you hate fumbling with your keys at the door... check out the Weiser Powerbolt... I have one for my house and it works great =) You can lock your deadbolt with a push of a button, and unlock with one of 2 of your own custom codes.">link title
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689