Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Owning a plug-in hybrid

francis_11francis_11 Posts: 3
edited October 2017 in General
Something I'd like to know about plug-in hybrids. Is it possible to own one without having to charge it off the wall? Currently living in an apartment building where I don't think it's possible to charge the car in the underground garage. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 116,454
    Do you want to run an extension cord to the parking lot?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• I wanted to ask if I can charge it off mainly from the motor without charging it off the wall. I would ask my landlord if I could install an outlet near my spot.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 116,454

I wanted to ask if I can charge it off mainly from the motor without charging it off the wall. I would ask my landlord if I could install an outlet near my spot.

You can drive a plug-in hybrid without charging it. But, it seems sort of pointless to go to the extra expense. You'd be better off with a regular hybrid. Installing an outlet might cost more than it's worth, and then there is the issue of who is paying for that electricity?.

Doesn't seem as though a plug-in fits your living arrangements.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• I see your point. That's the problem of living in a city. Anything plug-in is difficult. Only option of charging it is through a charging station. Just asked coz I wanted to move to a hybrid car and there are more plug-in hybrid options now than regular hybrids.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,755
    ?? I see more regular hybrid options out there. Save yourself money and go with a regular hybrid.