Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Forester?

Comments

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Yeah but that was on what, I-40? The uphills and downhills are long and straight so I bet whatever you lose mpg-wise on the uphills you regain on the downhills."

No, on secondary roads north of Santa Fe. The last 1/3 of the tank was at 80 MPH on I-25.
  • Options
    blue330xiblue330xi Member Posts: 56
    :D
    Ok one last explanation with another step more detail to help you understand my last post. First a brief explanation of closed loop fuel control. The most complete combustion occurs at a certain air to fuel ratio (14.7:1). Run richer (more fuel) or leaner (more air) and you wont use fuel most efficiently to generate energy. When a car is running at a constant light load (say on level ground going 60mph) it governs the amount of fuel injected partially by premade tables and equations which correlate the amount of air going into the engine (via MAF data) to the length of time fuel will be injected (Injector duty cycle) and partially by fine tuning with the actual measured ratio of air to fuel via the O2 sensor. If the voltage in the O2 sensor goes up then it is detecting to rich a fuel mixture and it tells the car to decrease the injector duty cycle a little bit. If it is too low voltage then it will say to increase the injector duty cycles for a bit. This way the car can achieve the great 14.7:1 ratio.
    Ok but wait there is more! You can get 1/2 the mpg and still maintain the ratio, that is in most cars you could have a rated highway mpg of say 20mpg but get only 10mpg yet still have perfect control via the closed loop operation! How? will get to that but first another side track. If the amount of fuel injected is proportional to the amount of air coming into the engine then what controls the amount of air coming in? The throttle does (along with engine rpm at any given moment). So lets say you are cruising down the highway in fifth gear at 2000rpm and the throttle 1/3 of the way open. Next you downshift to third gear with the throttle still 1/3 of the way open. What happens? You slow down. But if you downshift to third gear and press in the throttle to say 1/2 (amount of air going through is not linear with degree of throttle opening) you may maintain the same speed. Ignoring the fact that your car likely switched to open loop fuel management briefly then equilibriated back to closed loop operation, you will burn 2X the fuel and 2X the air will be going through your engine, and you will have 2X the amount of exhaust, yet you are going the same speed and have that same great 14.7:1 ratio. Where does that extra energy go? Because it dose not take any more energy to move the car at the same speed no more of it is translated to mechanical energy (other then a little more internal friction in the engine from turning at higher rpm). By percentage the same amount goes out the exhaust (or twice the amount of energy measured by absolute amount). However the radiator now absorbs more energy by % and also more by absolute amount. In other words its flying out the back side of the radiator as heated outside air. Hope this clears it all up.
    As far as potential energy is concerned, the only energy that is not converted is actually the unburned fuel going to the cat converter. It may not all be usable mechanical kinetic energy (most of it is not) but the laws of thermodynamics really dont change, if you stick a car inside a big enough closed insulated container and measured the air temp you would see total energy is maintained.
  • Options
    blue330xiblue330xi Member Posts: 56
    14.2 is the ratio not 14.7 I was thinking air pressure for some reason...
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks! I thought that number looked familiar! :surprise:

tidester, host
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Very good information but owww!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah can we have a last post part B 2.1 with a few paragraphps? ;)

-juice
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm not among the Premium Gas-Phobic group. Amongst all the factors in buying & owning a car--resale, reliability, mileage, initial cost including any rebates, or low interest rates, etc. etc. I can't believe that using Premium Gas is gonna rank high in the cost factors of owning a car for most people.

Unless of course you like 2 or 3 different vehicles equally, & Premium Gas might be the deciding factor in a purchase(?). Still, cars are so expensive to buy, maintain, insure, depreciate, etc. that just the diff. on insurance rates or depreciation or cost of repairs between diff. cars would probably far outweigh the cost diff. between Premium Gas & regular. IMO.

Still, I'm learning that the need for Premium Gas is some kind of Huge Taboo for some people.....& there's no use trying to debate the real $$ effect.....
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My sister got an '05 Forester X about a week ago. She was pretty excited about a used Passat turbo until she learned that premium was recommended.

The taboo must run in families. :P
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    A turbo car requires premium fuel, no biggie for some people.

But turbo cars command a premium price.
    And there is probably a premium on the insurance premium, for increased sticker price, and higher risk of theft.
    Also they are seen as more of a performance vehicle, which might up the ante.

It adds up.

The vehicles in this CR-V / RAV4 / Forester group are by and large appealing as economy vehicles.
    A turbo / performance version is really another category.
    Apples and oranges.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe it's worth noting that she didn't shop for any Forester XTs either. :shades:
  • Options
    desiputradesiputra Member Posts: 6
    Any body has an opinion on the Forester ( base model with auto transmission and the 1500 factory rebate) vs the Outback (base model/ auto transmission with 750 rebate)...........which would be a better choice ? Not much price difference.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    If price is not a factor, I personally would go for the Outback. Looks better, roomier, more comfortable, more luxurious.
  • Options
    "Still, I'm learning that the need for Premium Gas is some kind of Huge Taboo for some people.....& there's no use trying to debate the real $$ effect....."

I prefer cars that can use either grade. I had a 2002 Honda Odyssey that had 210 HP with regular and 240 with premium. It was very interesting; the shift points changed when premium was used, and I got slightly better HP. However, 210 was sufficient for my needs, and the slightly greater MPG (about 1-2 MPG) did not offset the 30 or so cents per gallon the premium cost.

But it was nice to be able to use Premium on the occasional trip to get more HP.
  • Options
    There is an open, still unresolved, debate in the RAV4 threads about that 3.5l V6 engine. Even though premium isn't required by Toyota, it's still a high compression engine and most of us believe it's still recommended.

I agree with everything you said, but both Toyota and Subaru offer economical 4 cylinder models.

Note that Honda's turbo CR-V is basically the RD-X, and that model drinks premium fuel, too.

Like I said, you gotta pay to play. Enthusiasts are usually willing to pay more to get the extra power and performance. Better to be happy with a purchase and spend a bit more, vs. spend less and feel buyer's remorse.

It's up to you, for many the economical normally aspirated 4 bangers are best.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    But turbo cars command a premium price. - Yes putting a turbo in any car will increase the cost. However, it's basically the equivalent of going from a 4-cyl to a 6-cyl equipped model

And there is probably a premium on the insurance premium, for increased sticker price, and higher risk of theft. - Usually the more a vehicle costs the higher the insurance is going to be but theft risk is far more model specific. I.e. a turbo Porsche is obviously a much higher theft risk than a Subaru turbo anything :)

Also they are seen as more of a performance vehicle, which might up the ante. - Again same scenario as the theft risk, a turbo in a sports car is going to be viewed as far more performace oriented.

-Frank
  • Options
    snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    car & driver magazine just named the toyota RAV4 to their 5best trucks of 2007 list (best small SUV), notably stepping over the new CR-V. actually, none of the car magazines i read are particularly enamored with the new CR-V. it's pretty obvious auto magazines love the 269 horses in the RAV4 V6.

besides, they just couldn't have three hondas take up the five slots (the pilot was named best large SUV and odyssey was named best minivan).
  • Options
    notably stepping over the new CR-V - Also notably stepping over the Forester XT which had held the title for the past three years. Of course you could question whether a vehicle that offers a 3rd row of seats should be considered a "small" SUV ;) In any case kudos to Toyota. Maybe this will serve notice to Subaru that the Forester is due for a make-over.

-Frank
  • Options
    Of course you could question whether a vehicle that offers a 3rd row of seats should be considered a "small" SUV

true, except for the fact that the CRV and RAV4 are practically identical in size (the RAV4 is 3.2" longer but that's probably all spare tire). i was considering the RAV4 with 3rd row until i actually saw one with that option...it is so small and cramped, i honestly cannot fathom how it would be useful for anything other than an emergency.
  • Options
    It's not a magazine but Motorweek just compared several compact SUVs including both the RAV4 and the CR-V and they actually picked the CR-V as their top choice.

Mileage was very nearly a match for the Vue Greenline, so GM has some work to do. The Escape hybrid was the only one that was significantly more fuel efficient.

They only tested newer models so the Subaru Forester wasn't included.

I like the RAV4 but see plenty of room for improvement - visibility is poor, the rear door still opens the wrong way, and the AWD is just part-time. There's no full size spare, either.

It has many strong points but it's far, far from perfect.

-juice
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I record the show (it's on Monday nights here) and haven't seen this weeks yet, looking forward to it.

It's not a magazine but Motorweek...

What do they say at the beginning? Something like "television's original automobile newsmagazine" I've watched for 20 years but I'm sure I messed that up :blush: .
  • Options
    Oops, sorry for the spoiler if you didn't watch it yet. My bad. :(

It was a pretty good episode, lots of vehicles were covered. Not a lot of detail on any one, but enough that they got their opinions across.

I met John Davis at the NY Auto Show 2 years ago. You never forget his voice, he sounds the same even speaking casually.

I know his boss - neighbor of mine, and was invited to the MotorWeek awards show at the Chicago Auto Show, VIP passes for the event plus the show itself.

I really wanted to go but I'd have to pay the air fare plus take time off work, though my friend even offered to share his room. It was close but since no new major debuts that I'm interested in are schedule I passed, though I may go next year if he goes again.

Plus, I've never been to Chicago.

-juice
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    Plus, I've never been to Chicago.

Big place... windy.. good pizza.. Wrigley Field..

See.. now you don't have to go.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Well, if I were to go for tourism, I don't think I'd pick this time of year. Brr! :surprise:

-juice
  • Options
    I like the RAV4 but... There's no full size spare, either.

juice, i'm almost positive the spare on the RAV4 is full-size. i can't imagine why on earth they'd mount a spacesaver spare on the tailgate like that.

edit: i just checked the toyota website and the spare is indeed full-size on all three trim levels.
  • Options
    I stand corrected. Ironically Subaru switched to a donut for MY2006, and Honda for MY2007.

Our Legacy had a donut and I actually replaced it with a proper spare tire on a spare rim I had.

-juice
  • Options
    You got that right. Not to start a how cold is it post (I know the Canadians will make me look silly) but it was -13F the other night, with the last 5 nights all below zero. Today it made it all the way to 10F and we got 4+ inches of snow. It wouldn't be so bad except there's 8 million people trying to drive in it, all badly it seems.

And for kyfdx, the windy thing is really not related to weather. It goes back to a New Yorker's comment about Chicago politicians.
  • Options
    In years past John Davis has co-hosted a Chicago Auto Show television show with local personalities from WGN. Haven't heard if he'll do it this year.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to the Auto Show in person in a long time. Too crowded. But if I had VIP access that would be different.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    -13F is plenty cold, whichever country you're in!
  • Options
    A small town just north of Syracuse got 62" of snow this week, I just heard on the local weather report.

I bet most models there have AWD. :shades:

I got a chance to drive on my snow tires (with AWD) today, and boy do they help. I didn't slip at all. It's almost too safe, and takes all the fun out of controlled wheelspin. :D

-juice
  • Options
    What kind of snows?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I think they're Blizzaks.

I got 'em for free. Someone gave a set to Bob Holland when they traded in their Forester.

Then Bob found he wasn't using them. He knew I drove to work in any weather, so he offered them to me.

They're definitely for snow/ice, and not a performance oriented tire. Grip seems excellent so far. The all seasons would have let me wag the tail on the turns I took, but not these. Kinda made the ride a bit boring. :D

-juice
  • Options
    Yeah.. I'm still considering Nokian WR.. About the same price as TripleTreds.. Kind of a hybrid, so I can use them all year long..

Since we got 5" yesterday, it is on my mind..

Of course, I didn't have any trouble with just my crappy old Touring TA..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The tires were for Deb's (my wife's) car, and she avoids driving in the snow at all costs. They weren't getting used, which was a shame, so I gave them to juice to play with...

Bob
  • Options
    Who gave them to you, though? I'd like to thank that person...

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    declansdad. I think his name is Mike, but it's been a while...

Bob
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    "It has many strong points but it's far, far from perfect."

Is there one is this group that is close, close to perfect?
  • Options
    I watched the Motorweek review of the small SUVs (or are they Crossovers? a term they used liberally). It wasn't surprising to me to see how well the new CR-V did. Honda always seems to get it right. For completion and relevance to this thread too bad they didn't include the Forester. Some will disagree, but by comparison it's design is old.

I found the cargo capacities interesting, with the CR-V, RAV4 and (I think) the Mitsubishi easily beating the others by a wide margin. The Escape Hybrid (which they said has as much cargo space as an Explorer) had 11% less space than the 'V. Also the MPG results were worth noting. Some were pretty low.
  • Options
    Is there one is this group that is close to perfect?

The "perfect" car will never be built since the definition of what equals perfect is different depending on who you ask. It may be possible but I seriously doubt you could even build the "perfect" car for just one person.

Having said that, for a particular individual, a given model will be closer to the definition of perfect than others. For me, I think the Forester XT is as close to perfect as I can realistically expect to find. Of course I readily admit that for many, the Forester is far from the best choice as their primary means of transportation.

-Frank
  • Options
    IMHO, no. Pick any model and I'll point out at least 3 things they could improve on.

Generally speaking, this class, compact car-based SUVs, is not really mature yet.

If you look at the minivan class, for instance, the formula is mature, you can get competent vans from many sources. Honda, Toyota, even Kia and Hyundai have all the basics down for the minivan formula:

* magic split fold 3rd row
    * 2nd row windows that roll down
    * a powerful V6 with good fuel efficiency
    * enough power options to do everything but your taxes

And I hear they're working on that last one. :D

The car-based compact SUVs have only been around since 1996, so it's a decade young. They're still sorting out the formula, to be honest, so I think we'll continue to see significant innovation and improvements over the next generation or so.

Every single one of these have room for improvement.

-juice
  • Options
    I agree somewhat..

One reason for the differences is that the vehicle's mission isn't as clear cut... so there are a lot of interpretations of what a small crossover SUV should be. IMHO, that is a good thing...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    True, there is more variety in this segment.

Guess you could call the Mazda5 a van, depending on your angle. Mazda just hasn't brought over the 7 seat model yet, nor have they offered power doors. Those exist in the JDM model.

Also, no AWD (which only a few vans offer anyway), no V6.

-juice
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'll ditto that. Though things are changing. For a while we saw quite a few variations.

The Xterra was originally considered a compact SUV, but the truckish nature and shrunken pick-up platform really pushed it outside the realm of the compacts. With the redesign, Nissan made it what it truly is... an inexpensive mid-size. Now we are getting the Rogue.

The Santa Fe was another. Although inexpensive, it was really a better match for the Highlander and Murano. With its redesign the Santa Fe moved up and the Tucson replaced it.

Vehicles like the Suzuki Sidekick have been taken off the market.

We don't see many of those variations anymore. So, I think it's fair to say the segment is becoming more clearly defined. Even though it isn't there, yet.
  • Options
    Let's see if we can come up with the characteristics...

* large displacement 4 cylinder engine, optional V6
    * mpg in the 20s (high teends for V6s)
    * unibody platform
    * 4 wheel indy suspension
    * FWD or AWD choices
    * price range around $20 all the way up to $30k
    * 5 seats, 5+2 optional on some

That pretty much describes the segment, IMO.

-juice
  • Options
    drwalesdrwales Member Posts: 18
    Perfect is in the eye of the beholder, but one should be able to come up with an all-rounder that, while not the best in any one category, might be the most useful to everyone. Imagine a formula something like
    (hp + torque) * mpg * (cargo space) * (IIHS crash test stars) / weight?

Sure, an FXT isn't going to win a drag race with a 911, but it's far more practical than a 911 on a Home Depot run. It burns fuel (and premium at that) at twice the rate of a Prius, but has the acceleration for avoidance and is far more fun to fling around. Of course, (dis-)liking a vehicle is subjective, rather than the above objective formula. And "flingability" is about as subjective as it gets...

Disclaimer: as one whose only car is an FXT, I may be a bit biased.

Interesting aside: the runner-up in our car-shopping sweepstakes was the Prius, but my wife and I couldn't bring ourselves not to have a manual transmission...
  • Options
    (hp + torque) * mpg * (cargo space) * (IIHS crash test stars) / weight?

:shades: Nice. That's a good features-by-the-pound approach. But I've got a feeling most buyers would place all those criteria over price rather than weight.
  • Options
    I think we tried to do something similar with a thread I started a year or two back.

For my part, I'd add that most new vehicles seems to be targeting the CR-V for size. Smaller models have not done as well in terms of sales and larger models seem to be moving up to mid-size. 100 cu.ft. of interior space seems to be where new models are hovering.
  • Options
    You remind me of me.

I actually tried to calculate what I called "value" based on several criteria that were important to me at the time.

I still have the Excel spreadsheet, the formula was:

(HP * Torque * (city+hwy mpg/2) * tank capacity) / (weight * price / 550)

The 550 was just a constant that brought all the cars in the range of around 50 to 100. The price was the market price at the time at no-haggle dealers, with certain required equipment (A/C, ABS, AWD, etc).

These 3 were on my short list, so it was CR-V 56, RAV4 58, Forester 98.

Subaru did well with a slightly bigger gas tank, less weight, a lot more HP at the time, and more torque.

That is not by any means why I chose the Forester, but it helped reinforce my decision.

I bet if you repeat the same exercise today, it would be a lot closer.

Also, I didn't factor interior room, and perhaps should have. Anything was a big step up from the Escort GT I had before. That would have helped the CR-V somewhat.

-juice
  • Options
    "(HP * Torque * (city+hwy mpg/2) * tank capacity) / (weight * price / 550) "

Juice, you have way too much time on your hands... :surprise:
  • Options
    It's obsession to a point of sickness. :sick:

Of course now my formula has changed, it's:

(how much the wife likes it) + (everything else * 0)

-juice
  • Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
This discussion has been closed.