Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    edited January 2013
    It wasn't bad except that he kept stealing my blanket

You were a good daddy to Sterling. I don't think I would sleep in the car to keep Gigi happy.

It's funny, Gigi can bark...she sometimes does little barks when she dreams about rabbits, but, normally she just never barks. We are fortunate....except she is completely useless as a guard dog.

One night a burglar slid the sliding door** open, the alarm went off, the alarm company called, I got out of bed to check. Gigi just slept through the whole thing.

**btw....we got one of those extra locking devices for the sliding door, that is about the weakest link in house security.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    net price came out to $599, a savings of $300 or one third off. Not bad, and thanks to you guys on Edmunds for the liberal negotiating tips

Everything you hear and read makes you a more intelligent consumer. It is so true, I wish I had known when I was 25 what I know now. Would I ever be wise.

That was nice that she gave you the sale price in advance.....I doubt if the large chain stores would be able to do that. Not so nice that she didn't offer the rebate without you asking. I suppose that could be laziness or was done on purpose...who knows?

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    Bad week for my LaCrosse. It started with an oil leak that was fixed by the dealer and ended with a large crack across the windshield. Naturally, my LaCrosse has HUD which means a special windshield and I'm out 600 bucks. It had to be special ordered. This is for aftermarket glass. I can't imagine dealer OEM cost. Insurance will fix it for free if its less than a dollar bill in size, otherwise it's covered under comprehensive which my deductible is 500.

Got to the Philly Auto Show yesterday. Nice event, but super busy. Virtually no sedans really did anything for me except the Caddy XTS. Want! The new MKZ is impressive as well.

I think we sat in every large SUV and my wife's favorites were the Grand Cherokee, and the Enclave. I was also very impressed with the new Pathfinder.

They had a lot of other classics and a neat display of Camaros and Mustangs "through the years". It was an enjoyable afternoon capped off with an indulgent dinner at Capital Grille. Love that place!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2013
    Naturally, my LaCrosse has HUD which means a special windshield and I'm out 600 bucks.

Yikes! I thought glass was the one thing that was not subject to the deductible. I know my wife went through two sets of windshields on her Volvo and it was covered 100 percent.

By the way, wouldn't your bumper-to-bumper original warranty cover the windshield? Some time ago I remember you posting a picture of peeling glass. To me, that would indicate a manufacturing defect which should be covered by the warranty.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I was gonna play that card, but you can see where the crack starts there is a little rock chip and it just spread right across. It's no where near where the delaminating is.

Geico covers glass under comprehensive only. It's not worth my rate going up with filing a claim to save $100.

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    How nice of you to remember Sterling's name. You have a good memory. He was the most wonderful dog in the world---potty trained himself in two days, took simple commands with very little training, served as an excellent guard dog, and loved us dearly. If we were sad, he knew it. If we were sick, he knew it. He loved to ride in the car, slept by our bed at night, lived with us in the family room, and was never picky about his food. After 14 years, it was a terrible loss to bladder cancer. We still miss him and mention his name often in our conversations.

Richard
  • Options
    How nice of you to remember Sterling's name. You have a good memory.

Sometimes I can surprise!

After a few years dogs (all pets but especially dogs) are part of the family, so they are missed the same as any family member would be.

It is nice to have those memories though, and know, you gave Sterling a happy home for many years.

• Options
    LaCrosse. It started with an oil leak that was fixed by the dealer and ended with a large crack across the windshield.

What is the year and mileage on the LaCrosse? Just curious...I have no ideas on what to do. Do you think the windshield was struck by something or did this crack just appear? Could the windshield have been installed wrong...mainly tightened too much?

I sure don't have any solutions, just wondering how your windshield cracked.

• Options
    It's a 2012 with around 11K on it. The crack was clearly caused by a rock chip. No fault of the car, just bad luck.

• Options
    The crack was clearly caused by a rock chip.

Hate when that happens.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,332
    Suddenly my broiler in my gas stove stopped working. Called my handy-man plumber and he said the igniter is shot but he can fix it.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. But I did a little looking around on the Internet and found the problem and how to fix it. Once I got the part it took me maybe 20 minutes or so to replace it. I know I saved a bunch of money and the oven is working fine. :D

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,371
    There was a review in todays newspaper. The reviewers didn't seem that impressed. They didn't like the 5 speed transmission, as opposed to 6 speed. The two reviewers had sore backs from the extremely firm ride. They thought cornering wasn't great because of the small width of the car.

The ride didn't bother me; the reviewers must be wimps. As for five versus six speeds, you can get by with five forward gears if the engine is flexible enough- and the Abarth engine IS pretty flexible. As for poor cornering because of vehicle width? It sounds like those guys have read too many Pontiac "Wide Track" ads...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    N.C. State over to Elon? Those are two opposite ends of the pole.

My son only has apps in to the University of Georgia, the University of Louisville, and the University of South Carolina.
    We shall see...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,690
    "...no fault of the car..."

Aren't windshields relied on these days to enhance the structure of the vehicle? We may be expecting too much of them.

Never had a cracked windshield except many years ago when a fiery redhead was visiting my son and they both thought it would be a good idea to throw rocks at my car. They were both 6.

A woman can lead a man to greatness or ruin. :sick:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited January 2013
    The "charger" fits fine, but it's the iPod connection in my console that doesn't 't quite fit because the space provided by the case at the bottom is a tad too narrow. When I try to put the plug in, it falls out because the locking mechanism doesn't grab right.

I'm trying to picture it. The USB plug should fit right in and the standard iPhone cable is about 24" long.
  • Options
    Finally, some useful information about Key West. I have printed off your suggestions and they are most welcome.

Hey shaving first was useful. Just because you aren't planning on body painting and walking around in a man thong isn't my problem. You should have been more specific in your request.

:P
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,579
    certainly bad luck. Good thing you lease. Should trade that dog in now, since it is jinxed.

We went last saturday to the show. Pretty crowded, but I have seen it worse, and the 2nd saturday is prime time.

Did you sit in the Acura RLX? I found it to be a very nice large car (well, large to me). Only Caddy I sat in was the ATS.

I have had to do windshields twice. My Accord picked up a rock on the PA turnpike when it was about 3 YO. That cost me about $250, in my driveway. The other one was our '99 Quest, at only 6 months. No idea how much that cost.

NJ insurance is not only expensive, but seems to be one of the few states where they don't cover glass stand-alone.

Never been to Capital Grille (though the one at the CH mall looks nice). We went "downscale" and hit Oscars for cheesesteaks, onion rings, and beer. Fantastic rings there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Why just those three universities? Do they have a particular major that interest him or does he just want to come to the South?

Richard
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your leak and your windshield. I've lost two windshields at various times but never had to pay for them. Under North Carolina insurance, replacements were at no charge. I hope that you're not beginning a series of incidents like I've had with the convertible---six thus far. I keep telling my wife that we need to "get shed" of that thing. Her argument is that it still looks good, has very low miles, and is paid for. It's difficult to challenge that mode of thinking. :(

Richard
  • Options
    What were your thoughts on the ATS?

Richard
  • Options
    As for poor cornering because of vehicle width? It sounds like those guys have read too many Pontiac "Wide Track" ads...

Well there is something to those "wide track" ads. Cornering and handling improves when the center of gravity is lowered and/or the base is made wider.

• Options
    At some point, you have to cut off the list. I went through this with my son. the initial consider list was pretty big. Online research and discussion whittled that down to a more manageable application list. I forget now the recommended #, but 5 sounds about right, with a max of 10?

really IMO depends on how sure they are about what they want, and more importantly, if they will get in. So, 1 "reach" school, and at least 1 gimme (just in case), and beyond that, how many "really wanna go there" schools can 1 kid have? Just apply to enough so there is some competition (schools have to know they are fighting for the prospects they want, and FA is the ammo!)

I was sure that my son was getting into every school but his reach one (turns out he did, and went there), so it really came down to applying to the ones that he had some interest in. Plus 1 state school I knew I could afford, just in case the FA elsewhere did not come in high enough!

Sounds like RB jr. won't have any trouble getting into those 3 schools, and certainly seems that he knows what type he wants!

• Options
    wasn't that all just a marketing scam, with the track being almost exactly the same as the rest of the GM comparable models?

• Options
    The ATS? Seemed nice. Looked sharp. Not all that roomy inside (back seat at least) but the drivers seat was good, dash I think looked upscale, and I think it was roomy enough for me. Nothing that blew me away, but if I was shopping in that class, I certainly would be giving it a long look.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I'm trying to picture it. The USB plug should fit right in and the standard iPhone cable is about 24" long.

I'll try to explain one more time. In order for me to connect "directly" to my audio system using the iPod cable connector in my console, I first have to remove the Otter Box case. If I do that, the cable fits fine and locks in. I can then play stored music on my iPhone directly through my audio system. I can also use my optional car charger for my iPhone by plugging in to a cigarette lighter. But I cannot play iTunes using the iPod plug-in feature if my phone is in the Otter Box case because the case restricts access to the iPod connection.

If you don't understand this, I give up!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    The ATS? Seemed nice. Looked sharp. Not all that roomy inside (back seat at least) but the drivers seat was good, dash I think looked upscale, and I think it was roomy enough for me. Nothing that blew me away, but if I was shopping in that class, I certainly would be giving it a long look.

My downstairs neighbor just leased an ATS from our local Cadillac dealership. He got it in red with black leather interior. MSRP was $39,350. Seems a bit small, almost no trunk space and rear seat room is very, very tight. I'm surprised that people don't get the CTS which is much roomier.

There are a number of cars in that price range including the A4, C Class Mercedes, Lexus ES350, Infiniti G37, to name a few. Of those listed, the ES350 is the roomier. The C Class the most stable on the road - European handling. I would recommend the Mercedes because of the special deals they have going on right now on leases - and some special financing availability.

Just my opinion - and I believe all those cars listed above are well built and will perform well over the years.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    Reviewers are saying the ATS has outclassed the BMW 3 series in handling. The previous generations of BMW 3 series were tight in the rear seat and trunk, but were top sellers due to handling and prestige. If the reviewers are right, the latest 3 series has drifted away from that foundation and now the ATS is filling the void. The ATS is supposed to be a no-compromise, performance-oriented sport sedan. It's fun. Space is less important than handling. The CTS competes against the current iterations of the cars you mention while the ATS is aimed squarely at the buyer BMW has ticked off with their recent changes. I guess we'll see if Cadillac can attract the Euro performance fan.

Durability will remain to be seen. The CTS, though, has been quite good for a luxury make according to JD Power and Edmunds.

Personally, I admire what Caddy has accomplished and where they're going. There was a time I thought the best thing they could do for the auto industry was close shop and leave. But they're turning it around. They're building exciting vehicles with attractive styling and class competitive features and handling. It'll be exciting to see an American brand put up a real fight with solid product.
  • Options
    Why just those three universities? Do they have a particular major that interest him or does he just want to come to the South?

He wants to stay in the South- and those three schools have good business schools and sports programs. He wants a job with a college or professional basketball or football team, but he's going to get a business degree first and then get an MBA(or double-major) in sports management.

• Options
    Just because you aren't planning on body painting and walking around in a man thong isn't my problem.

Sorry, I forgot all about your great suggestion too. My BIL and I can give that a try and see what happens.

Sorry, that was a great suggestion too.

• Options
    Personally, I admire what Caddy has accomplished and where they're going. There was a time I thought the best thing they could do for the auto industry was close shop and leave. But they're turning it around

Without doubt! IMHO, if the US would put together a sedan that had the luxury and handling of the Mercedes E350 and the styling and body fit as well, I would definitely consider buying a US automobile. I've driven the CTS and it was too tight for me - the E350 is more spacious and comfortable for a 6'2" 240lb. Guy like me.

As for the BMW 3 series, I was not impressed with it - much too small. The C Class I found more comfortable.

But GM has begun to make its move in this luxury category. On a few years, with refinements in styling and luxury, Cadillac will compete nicely with Audi, Mercedes and BMW. Definitely have to tip one's hat to the Cadillac Division for the past few years. But the CTS is way overdue for a restyling - they have kept the same basic styling for the CTS since it first appeared 8 or so years ago.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Hi all. Here's another post to continue our long tradition of off topic discussions.

We're getting ready to replace our windows at home (single pane, probably from the early 80's.) We have around 30 windows to replace (casement, single hung, picture, etc.) We don't really know much about windows, so I'm hoping to learn fom you guys.

We're looking at the major brands -- Pella, Andersen, Milgard. We really wanted to go with Home Depot because we have $2k of gift cards, but they only install Simonton windows, which I have never heard of.

I don't mind paying extra for quality, but I don't want to pay for a brand name. Good brands, bad brands?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I'm no expert but I can tell you I have mostly Anderson's and one Pella (living room giant bow window) and they must be at least 20 years old and doing fine. My Parents have a bunch of no-names and Alcoa in their addition and well over half of them have needed replacement due to failed seals.

Stick, missed the Acura. Did sit in both SUVs and thought they were very nice. The Acura area was very busy!

The ATS looked great, but the rear seat is tiny. I bet its a nice drive and seems appropriately priced for the segment.

• Options
    Odd. We looked at HD recently (last year) and this still carried a few brands, including Pella.

one thing I did learn is that if you go to the window chain stores (pella, especially anderson) the prices are real high, and the "sales experience" would make old-school car dealers look like rank amateurs.

Also, these day, there are a lot of quality brands, may of them local. I forget now the brand name we got (we did the palladium windows on the front of our house), but I looked them up and they had good reviews, and have so far been fine.

IMO though, the absolute key is not the window, it is the installation. make sure you are confident in the people doing the installation. Not sure who your local big box store will have, because it varies, and it will be done to a price.

We had the contractor we used to do our kitchen and bathroom do the work, and have had no issues. The seemed to do everything the right way. They got the replacements to the exact size, and reworked the sills as needed (some places just rest the bottom on the old sills and hide the gap). they also used the good membrane sill sealer (the rubber stuff you put over the sheathing and wrap around the sill). And they replaced all the wood trim with custom cut trex type stuff (we have circle tops).

From talking to the other places we got quotes, it seemed they tried to avoid most of these "extras". And a cut rate job can look fine, until a bit down the road when the leaks start.

And it turns out they were cheaper, for comparable windows, than the pella or Anderson stores, and only a little more than Lowes (though that installer seemed like a good guy).

so, if I had to choose, I would take basic level windows put in by a good installer over high end ones put in by a slap-dash installer. Similar to cars, even the cheap ones have gotten to be so good, it is hard to go wrong.

• Options
    I agree that the CTS is due for a refresh. I like where their brand identity is going, so hopefully they continue to evolve and improve rather than depend on what they accomplished yesterday. I'll watch as an interested bystander :D
  • Options
    Isn't every ad a marketing gimmick?

But a car that is narrower will not handle as well unless you lower it's center of gravity. So it doesn't surprise me that they made that comment.

• Options
    But I cannot play iTunes using the iPod plug-in feature if my phone is in the Otter Box case because the case restricts access to the iPod connection.

I have an Otter Box. I can easily plug in the Apple to USB cord without removing the Otter Box.

In one post you say you can do this and in the next post you say you can't. That's what is confusing me.
  • Options
    Go to a lumberyard - yes a real, honest to goodness lumberyard - and visit their window section. You should be able to find something that will work for you and they should be able to offer installation.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,595
    Marvin windows..

The key is to find a good contractor ... ask friends for recommendations...

The places where you go to buy windows and they provide the installer? Not so good, IMHO..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Odd. We looked at HD recently (last year) and this still carried a few brands, including Pella.

Thanks for the advice. That's one downside of going with Home Depot or Lowes. You don't know who the installer is.

Home Depot sells a lot of different brands (Pella is only at Lowe's.) However, the ones that they will install is only Simonton.
  • Options
    I hadn't even thought of that. Thank you. I'll look into that.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    IMO though, the absolute key is not the window, it is the installation. make sure you are confident in the people doing the installation. Not sure who your local big box store will have, because it varies, and it will be done to a price.

I agree. We had a regional company(Gilkey) R&R 22 windows several years ago. They make the windows and install them. The guy that came out to do the estimate was very professional and-most importantly-didn't pressure us to sign a contract on the spot. In fact, he encouraged us to shop around. Anyway, the main reason we went with Gilkey(aside from the quality of the windows) was the fact that the company was responsible for the construction AND the installation. That totally eliminates the situation where you have a problem and the manufacturer blames it on the installer and the installer blames the manufacturer. We have since had a couple of windows require replacement and Gilkey fixed them promptly and at no charge.

• Options
    We had Pella windows in our last home and they were great---easy to tilt and clean, fit really well, and looked very nice. Like others have said here, the installation is the main thing. We used a private contractor who had a reputation as an excellent builder. I really think that is why we enjoyed the windows. We've also had Andersen windows and had no problem with them.

When we moved in this old house six months ago, we discovered that while cleaning the six long windows in the family room, they wouldn't come clean. I believe that the double panes have a leak and that the gas has clouded up the windows. We'll have to replace them soon. I just haven't done it because they are covered with plantation shutters and you only notice it in the morning when the sun is directly on them for about two hours.

One little piece of advice: Get plenty of window keys when you buy your new windows. They seem to have a habit of walking away. We only found one key in this house for all six windows in the family room.

Keep us posted on what you decide and good luck.

Richard
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,595
    Gilkey has a very good product.... If verdugo was local, I would have recommended them...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Reviewers are saying the ATS has outclassed the BMW 3 series in handling.

I just read this comparison of the ATS and BMW 3 Series. For out right driving fun Car & Driver chose the ATS. For overall quality, comfort and real life driving, they would still choose the BMW.

This line maybe sums it up:
    In the most important regard, Cadillac succeeded in building an American 3-series. Now it needs to benchmark BMW’s engine and transmission, and install an infotainment system that isn’t such an outrage that we’d feel morally justified in crashing the car into a tree.

Since Cadillac was really aiming at the last edition of the 3 Series, they built a car resembling that BMW. Now, since BMW has refined their new model, the Cadillac surpasses it for driving and handling.

However, the BMW has a refined interior, the ATS seems to have been a mish mash of surfaces and materials, the media system in the ATS is very frustrating to use, the shifting is awkward.

It is a good article if a comparison is of interest to you;
    C&D compare ATS to 328i

• Options
    Gilkey has a very good product

How about a Bob-O-Gilkey window?

• Options
    If you are tired of shovelling snow here is the perfect device. It actually looks like it would be a lot of fun;
    ROBOPLOW

• Options
    Three questions:

1. Though it didn't show it, is it controlled by a hand remote?
    2. Where are they made?
    3. How much did it cost to build?

I'm sure that plenty of people would like to buy one. As the old saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention." ;)

Richard
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Three questions:

Those are excellent questions, unfortunately there isn't any more information than the youtube video.

People could stay in the North during the winter, not bother with Florida if they had one of those to play with.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I will second the Marvin rec. Not cheap though. They probably have a list of their preferred installers. Proper installation is also very important.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Don't forget about the 6-cylinder options, too:
    ATS vs. 335 vs. 350

Not quite as kind with the BMW interior quality. That trunk is downright huge, though, which would be useful in everyday driving.
This discussion has been closed.