Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Current Best New Car Deals

Comments

• jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    Very nice. Thanks for the info, Rich.

-Jason
  • nehcnehc Posts: 13
    Hi,
    A DEALER FAX ME SOME INFO about a new 2006 Sonata GL. I was offered for about$15600 OTD.

I read the fax this evening, and found some weird information:

1.The dealer disclaims all warranties.
    2.Limitation of remedies provision for consquential damages.
    3.Acknowledgment that the vehicle being purchased may have sustained body damage.

The third one is the most weird, because the fax shows this car is a new one. so I really don't understand these info. :confuse:
  • asafonovasafonov MinneapolisPosts: 409
    The third one is the most weird, because the fax shows this car is a new one. so I really don't understand these info.

There are plenty of opportunities for a vehicle to sustain damage as it is being shipped from a manufacturer, trading between dealers or just moved around (or bumped around) the dealership parking lot. No idea what an undamaged Sonatas go for, but my gut feeling is the saving are not nearly enough, especially if the excellent Hyundai warranty is cancelled or reduced. In some sense, this is similar to buying a vehicle with a salvage title...
  • Many of the current deals are expiring on Septmber 5th. Any good deals coming up?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to interview anyone who recently bought a vehicle that was less expensive than their previous one, and was motivated to do so by the economy. Please respond to [email protected] by Monday, September 4, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact information and make/model information on the vehicles of interest.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Now that Chrysler stopped employee pricing, their rebates are better.

Example: Just before their employee pricing program, I bought an new 2006 Grand Caravan SE. MSRP was $26640. Got total rebates of $4750 which consisted of 4000 for anyone+750 for those who already owned one. Also, dealer was hungry and I got nearly employee pricing anyways. Ended up paying $19555 (before sales tax and title.

During the official "employee pricing" promotion, the rebate dropped to $2000.

Now that this program expired, I see Chrysler has reinstituted $4K rebates to all on GC, and I also saw a local dealer listing $7200 off MSRP for a GC SXT, so now the deals are about as good as they were in June.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    They are in a hopeless trap where shoppers demand constant rebate, "employee pricing" and endless gimmicks.
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,722
    Honda hides their rebates behind something called "Marketing Support". Check out Honda Odys going for $500-$1,000 below invoice. Toyota is offering $3,000 rebates on the Tundra.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    Between a "rebate" and cars Honda puts incentive money on.

Also,with domestics, this never ends and the shoppers know this. Honda does this infrequently.
    The big difference between a rebate and an incentive provided a dealer is that the dealer incentive is much less transparent to the customer. Dealers can elect or not elect to pass the incentive on, while a rebate is just what it states it is, a rebate.

Yes, dealers can be flexible with out the door prices under either system, because there are other items like holdbacks, volume dealer incentives, monthly sales quotas, etc. that are less well understood by the buying public. So the dealer can elect to try to maximize his profit or unload a vehicle at lower profit( or even sometime a loss), depending on a lot of factors.
    When buying new is it required by law that a dealership inform the uninformed buyer of said rebate? If not then in all practicality it would be like an incentive.
    I don't know about the legality of not informing a buyer about a rebate, but there is no reason a dealer would not give a valid manufacturer rebate. The rebate comes out of the manufacturer's pocket, not the dealer's. A factory to dealer incentive, on the other hand allows the dealer to do what he wants with it.

Rebates are treated differently when it comes to figuring state sales tax, however. The sales tax is calculated before the rebate is subtracted from the out the door price, while a factory to dealer incentive is just wrapped into whatever discount off MSRP is offered, and is completely at the discretion of how good a deal the dealer wants to offer.
  • klvb73klvb73 Posts: 1
    Dealer has a 06 kia Sportage demo. It has like 3,000 miles on it. What would be a fair discount?
  • My lease is about to expire on 12/1. I've thought about purchasing the car since the price is several thousand less than the blue book value but I now have some reservations after a couple of problems over the last several weeks.

I would like to replace this vehicle with something similar - 4 door sedan, leather interior, good hp, etc. all at a similar price (MSRP on the original car was about 30,500). Any thoughts on good deals to buy or lease something similar?
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    If you like performance, one of the best values out there right now is the Mazdaspeed 6. All wheel drive with a turbo is a nice combination. A 6 speed manual is the only available transmission, however. With the Grand Touring package, it stickers in the low 30s and current street prices are in the mid-20s. It might be worth your time to read the separate thread here on that model.
  • I heard an ad this morning from Trophy Nissan in Dallas, Texas and they are advertising "Buy a new Nissan Armada, get a NEW Nissan Altima for only $1"

What is wrong with this advertisement? What's the catch? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,080
    There are so many loopholes in that statement, I'm not sure where to begin.

It could be a "we only have one armada and one altima this applies to ... and we already sold the altima separately" ... or "they are both '05 models" ... or "you have to buy the Armada LE for the full MSRP of $43.5k (which is selling for $8k below that, by the way) PLUS $1k doc fees, $1k ad fees, etc, etc" ... orrr ....

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• The ad does say that they have 200 Altimas, and that the best equipped will go first...but that's about it.

I figured there was a catch. I just did not want to go through the whole process if the deal is not a good one.

Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,080
    well, it couldn't hurt to maybe call and ask the details.

Of course, odds are they won't give them to you over the phone. but its always worth a shot if you are truly interested in an Armada.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,800
    I was at the local, medium-volume Nissan dealer a month or so ago, and they were just covered up with 2006 Altimas. Most of them were lower-end models, but there were literally tons and tons of them. Way too many when a redesigned model was coming shortly.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,918
    The catch will be on the vehicle they are offering for a $1. My guess it is a 1996 Altima with 200k miles on it. And expect tp pay full price (and then some) for the new Altima.

If it is too good to be true........
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,918
    I imagine they will ship most of these vehicles to a rental company and keep the high end ones as model year leftovers.
  • I was wondering if new Civic owners can share me their input on the deals that received the Honda dealers. I am interested in buying a 07 Civic EX with navigation and would like to know that prices that people have been paying on this model. If you can give any if your input, that would be greatly appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 127,831

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• My sweetie pie is interested in a new car. We haven't test driven any cars yet. She says she's interested in a PT cruiser, hhr, mustang (6 cylinder is ok), maybe a vw beetle. I would like to keep the price under $20k. I also check out cars direct, fitz, as well as ads at the miami herald. Are there any other online dealers on the east coast with actual (not msrp) online pricing? Or other newspapers with actual dealers' ads online? Thanks in advance-Mark
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    You should be able to get a sweet deal this time of year on any of those cars, except perhaps the Mustang. In all honesty, I would ignore the ads completely as they are generally meaningless. Everyone's trying to move inventory before the end of the year.

Your best bet is to do research (say, on Edmunds.com and in our pricing discussions :)) to determine MSRP, invoice pricing, incentives & rebates, and what others are paying for these vehicles in your area. I just quickly "built" a PT Cruiser on Edmunds, and came up with an MSRP of $18,895, invoice of $17,694, and a "what others are paying" of $15,430. So, it appears that at least the PT can be negotiated for under invoice. That's something you're not likely to see in an ad.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    The best used cars under $20K are the following, based upon my own research and what I wanted to buy/wasn't a toad.(closer to $15K actually)

1:Almost anything by GM in the 1-3 year old category with the GM 3800 engine or the new 3.6 with VVT. Bulletproof engines and actally quite quick. $12-$18K depending upon the model is easily doable even on a one year old model. I almost bought a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix for $13K. Loaded, 16K miles. Yes it was an ex-rental, but 16K is nothng for this car. 16-18K would even buy you a LaCrosse CXS a year old. This is an astounding car for so litle money. It basically is Cadillac CTS engine and suspension in a Buick package. - just FWD instead of RWD. Still a very nice car.

2:A 2-4 year old Celica GT-S. Quick, fun to drive, and very inexpensive to maintain. 12-15K and worth every penny.

3:A used Lexus IS300. Very good smaller car with excellent handling.

4:A new Wrangler. It's cheap, it's cute, and the 2007 models have a decent interior - finally. Holds its value pretty well in addition if its a 4WD model.

5:A 2003-2004 Mercedes C230K sedan. This was made for two years. It's the normal C240 with a 4 cylinder supercharged engine. More reliable than the C240 and still a very VERY nice car. 35mpg on the highway in real driving also is a huge plus. (note - 80-90% of the C230Ks are coupes so it's a bit harder to find one than you'd expect. The dark Blue or dark green are the two colors to get.

6:A 1-2 year old Matrix with the big engine(180HP or so, iirc). Quick enogh to get out of ts way and still quite affordable.
    FWIW- I really like the 3800 engine in my Buick Regal LS. Very quick and strong. Buicks are generally very reliable, and buying used is a good value as they depreciate quickly.
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    I'm in the Midwest but yesterday I bought a '06 PT Cruiser Limited.
    MSRP $19,760
    TMV $16,171
    paid $15,995

I also got $500 more than Edmunds trade in value on my '01 Saturn SL2 with 73K so I could say I paid $15,495...mine was a 5 speed manual and I'm guessing that provided them additional encouragement to move it. Love driving a stick again...
  • ">I am planning to lease a new vehicle in the upcoming months, May or June. I am looking at small cars like the Mazda3 for example, or anything else in that category. I was wondering if there is typically a time of year, or month, that I would get the best lease rates. Please fill me in with as much advice as possible. Looking for a 2 or 3 year term, 12-15k/year and 0 down.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.